Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Forbes predicting PS2 and Xbox to be in competition.....Gamecube.....see inside.....

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Forbes predicting PS2 and Xbox to be in competition.....Gamecube.....see inside.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-01, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out this article on Forbes.com....they are predicting failure for the Gamecube!!!

http://www.forbes.com/2001/04/02/040...yahoo&referrer

I feel the Gamecube will do okay....but it is up against some stiff competition this year!!!! They need to release good quality games on a consistent basis if they hope to compete against these other companies!!!
Old 04-04-01, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Nintendo will do ok since their target audience is younger kids. It's not their only audience, mind you, but their main target. Look at the appearance of it alone. I think X-Box and PS2 are targeted mainly towards late teens and beyond.
Old 04-04-01, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Unforttunitly that article is very poorly written and contains several over sights. For one it fails to factor in that no one know crap about Gamecube games, how do they know it won't be enough? sigh, this articale is as worthless as the ones that say Nintendo will reign once again. The fact is that GBA isn't going to do it alone. It depends on Gamecube, and since no one knows about it, no one knows what will happen.
Old 04-04-01, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I fully agree with Forbes, Nintendo doesn't cut it anymore since the N64 came out which just in itself had around 2-3 games that were worth it... give me a SNES over it any day. I think the Xbox will steal all of Nintendo's business since they will actually have games that are good! (Nintendo is more of a "Gasp!! Good games?? I didn't think those existed! Isn't it all for the money anymore?")
Old 04-04-01, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Unforttunitly that article is very poorly written and contains several over sights. For one it fails to factor in that no one know crap about Gamecube games, how do they know it won't be enough? sigh, this articale is as worthless as the ones that say Nintendo will reign once again. The fact is that GBA isn't going to do it alone. It depends on Gamecube, and since no one knows about it, no one knows what will happen.

I agree.....they are trying to say that it will be for younger gamers....ummmm...we are all kids at heart when it comes to games anyway!!! At least....that is how I look at it!!!
Old 04-04-01, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Feneant
I fully agree with Forbes, Nintendo doesn't cut it anymore since the N64 came out which just in itself had around 2-3 games that were worth it... give me a SNES over it any day. I think the Xbox will steal all of Nintendo's business since they will actually have games that are good! (Nintendo is more of a "Gasp!! Good games?? I didn't think those existed! Isn't it all for the money anymore?")
Nintendo will need to consistently release quality titles for this system unlike the N64 in which gamers were lucky to see one quality title per year!!! Silent Hill 2 and Metal Gear are enough to keep me away from the Gamecube at launch....
Old 04-04-01, 11:45 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nintendo will do fine, at least in the U.S. The N64 was fairly successful here, and it was a very limited system. Nintendo is taking a more mature edge, which well help expand their audience. Plus if all else fails Pokemon will keep them afloat. At any rate I'll be getting a Gamecube and likely not an X-box or PS2. I'm sure their will be 10 or so games worth playing each year, which is all I have time for anymore.
Old 04-04-01, 11:52 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
...that article is very poorly written and contains several over sights...
Unforttunitly...
...no one know crap about Gamecube...
...this articale...
no offense to anyone, i just found this funny. great way to start the morning

--HN
Old 04-04-01, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone thinking Nintendo is in trouble needs to look at the top selling games for 2000. N64 and GB games are all over that list. Nintendo may not have had as many releases as Sony, but they had some very successful titles. Even without Pokemon they had several million plus sellers. Nintendo has their place in the market and no one will knock them out of it any time soon. Sony and Xbox are in direct competition with each other and not Nintendo. GBA is already a hit in Japan and looks to do well here. The Gamecube will sell well because its only going to be $200 and its going to have games that no real gamer can live without. The company that is in the worst position right now is Microsoft. They are very dependent on third parties and for the time being Sony has the best relationship with most of the top publishers. I can't wait to see how this all turns out.
Old 04-04-01, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by djones6746

I agree.....they are trying to say that it will be for younger gamers....ummmm...we are all kids at heart when it comes to games anyway!!! At least....that is how I look at it!!!

Nintendo tends to market games with characteristics more in-line with what younger kids want. Mario, Pokemon, etc. are not targeted primarily at late teens and beyond (not saying they don't have some audience there...they do). Games like Silent Hill, Onimusha, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, etc. are in-line with older gamers.

Would/could I enjoy playing a Mario game...yeah, probably. But I wouldn't buy a system to play it. All the latter titles I listed are why I bought a PS2 and will add and X-Box, as well. I do think Nintendo will do fine, though.
Old 04-04-01, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by HN
...that article is very poorly written and contains several over sights...
Unforttunitly...
...no one know crap about Gamecube...
...this articale...
no offense to anyone, i just found this funny. great way to start the morning

--HN
Yes I know. I wrote that in about 3 minutes before having to goto a EE class and was in a hurry. Besides, no one pays me to get it right, unlike Forbes. Perhaps you try reading the article and giving some useful feedback about the topic rather then the fact that I was to lazy and in a hurry. Thanks.
Old 04-04-01, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just find it funny that Nintendo is the only company with enough guts to release games at over 100$ Cdn thinking they will sell.
Old 04-04-01, 02:44 PM
Banned

X-Box

Exactly what is this X-box everybody is talking about .. and when we will be able to buy it? I mean it sounds like its gonna be awsome. I have PS2 system now and a Sega Dreamcast .. I like them both .. I was thinking of getting a N64 too cause they got them at walmart for 69.99 now brand new and thats cheap.

Anybody give me some info on this xbox system? And is this the system that Bill Gates was supposely making for the summer of 2001 or 2002? I Thought that was gonna be called the dolphin or black box or something? Thanxs .. I like reading everybodys comments !!
Old 04-04-01, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: X-Box

Originally posted by Twiztid
Exactly what is this X-box everybody is talking about .. and when we will be able to buy it? I mean it sounds like its gonna be awsome. I have PS2 system now and a Sega Dreamcast .. I like them both .. I was thinking of getting a N64 too cause they got them at walmart for 69.99 now brand new and thats cheap.

Anybody give me some info on this xbox system? And is this the system that Bill Gates was supposely making for the summer of 2001 or 2002? I Thought that was gonna be called the dolphin or black box or something? Thanxs .. I like reading everybodys comments !!
http://xbox.ign.com

That should be a good starting resource.

Dolphin was the code/working name for Nintendo's of GameCube.

Blackbox was the working title for the X-box. X-box is supposed to be released sometime this fall (no date or actual cost has been determined. Possibly more info. at E3).
Old 04-04-01, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Computer & Videogames online had a very nice rebuttle to the Forbes article.

Forbes sticking the boot in to random companies is becoming something of a norm. Microsoft was the first to get it in the neck over Xbox earlier this year, and now Nintendo is apparently doomed. Conversely, Xbox is now an all-powerful behemoth. Funny how these things change, innit? According to an article posted on Forbes.com yesterday, "Nintendo risks confusing customers with its influx of new products." The piece concerns itself mainly with the fact that Gamecube may end up third most popular next gen machine in the American console race and claims that "Nintendo is venturing into risky territory with Gamecube, which will likely be mauled by the stylish PlayStation 2 and Xbox."

The article does, however, neglect to mention the connectivity aspects between Game Boy Advance and Gamecube, the fact that Pokemon is the most valuable game franchise in the world, the fact that Game Boy Advance is likely to beat is predicted 20 million units globally in its first year at retail, that Mario and Zelda aren’t available on anyone else’s machine and that Nintendo is financially in about as much trouble as the Bank of England.
And to those concerned about Nintendo's standing in the video game wars...Nintendo sold almost a BILLION dollars worth of software last year!

**Top 10 Publishers of 2000**:
publisher (sales)

1)Nintendo ($955,169,820)
2)Electronic Arts ($435,493,079)
3)Activision ($332,803,304)
4)THQ Inc ($262,998,114)
5)Sega ($262,494,552)
6)Sony ($244,438,591)
7)Midway ($135,982,929)
8)Acclaim ($134,503,569)
9)Capcom ($124,124,609)
10)Infogrames Entertainment ($112,687,963)

source PC Data:
http://www.dailyradar.com/news/game_news_6632.html
http://www.pcdataonline.com/

[Edited by CreatureX on 04-04-01 at 07:28 PM]
Old 04-04-01, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I love how people still call the N64 a failure. The console has been around too long and been a very solid performer for Nintendo. Just because it was second to the PSX doesn't mean failure. I think Nintendo's strategy to keep the Gamecube cheap and simple will be their key to success. The PS2 and Xbox are trying to do so many things that the costs in making them are outrageous.

Nintendo understands something that is a proven fact in the console business. Most people buy consoles to play games. Not watch movies, go on the internet, play music CDs, and very few even play online games. Nintendo is focusing on Game Cube as a game system pure and simple. They may add online support, but I really don't think it will be the big deal Sony and Microsoft think it is. The all in one box has been a failure since the days of the CD-i and 3DO.

Sony would have had a much better start if they would have removed the backwards compatibility, DVD movie support, USB, Firewire, Hard drive slot that will never get used, and the sliding drawer. Sony could have simplified the PS2 and greatly reduced the cost. Most of us already have a DVD Player and a PSone anyway. The console would have been easier to manufacture, only cost consumers $199 and would have been much more reliable. I think the PSone is a much better example of how to build a console than the PS2.
Old 04-04-01, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by darkside

Sony would have had a much better start if they would have removed the backwards compatibility, DVD movie support, USB, Firewire, Hard drive slot that will never get used, and the sliding drawer. Sony could have simplified the PS2 and greatly reduced the cost. Most of us already have a DVD Player and a PSone anyway. The console would have been easier to manufacture, only cost consumers $199 and would have been much more reliable. I think the PSone is a much better example of how to build a console than the PS2.
Kind of interesting how Nintendo had a major part in the development of the Playstation before it got canned for SNES. Makes you wonder if Nintendo had anything to do with the success of the PSX...

Anyhow, I agree with everything you said.
Old 04-05-01, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How can they count Gamecube out? Nintendo knows what it's doing.
Old 04-05-01, 11:34 PM

First Damn good point edytwinky.

Second, check out all that was wrong with the blasted article here:
http://cube.ign.com/news/33194.html

burn Forbes, burn
Old 04-10-01, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
What a stupid article. i really truly believe that the person who wrote that has never played a video game since pong. the name Marcella Bernhard (the author), whose name closely resembles Ross's monkey, does not seem to evoke a sense of knowing what the current trend is which he so wants to do. one really ignorant thing that he said was

"But Nintendo risks confusing customers with its influx of new products. Fans are sure to flock to the portable Game Boy Advance, but the new product will hurt sales of the old Game Boy."

well duh? it eventually will. i really does not cost that much more than the game boy color but can do so so so......much more. it is an advanced system that is backwards compatable. anyone that does not have a game boy color yet has no reasons to purchase one. unless the prices drop drastically. what exactly is his point? you should not come out with new technology because it will hurt the sales of your old technology, which by the way is 12 years old! and is the number one system of all time, in terms of sales.

and how can you predict how well a system will do before it is even released. how many people thought the N64 would be the top system? a lot.

another thing is that just because a game looks cute does not mean it is a kiddie game that doesnt appeal to anyone but the youngest of players. super smash brothers is a great example. it is a really good fun game. as well as mario tennis and mario party. most of nintendo and rare's games have universal appeal.

as far as my opinion of the future of the GCN (official abbrv of game cube) i think it will do very well. i think that nintendo has learned a lot from the N64. as everyone knows they built it based on the top technology and purposely made it difficult to program for thinking that it would increase the quality of the games available. they have learned their leason and will do very well with the GCN.

by the way you can email this guy by clicking on his name just below the title. I think it would be great to email him this thread!
Old 04-10-01, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Give it Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, Metroid and it will be a huge success.