Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

PS2....All-Star Baseball or Triple Play 2002.....or BOTH???

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS2....All-Star Baseball or Triple Play 2002.....or BOTH???

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-01, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have these yet??? I know they are not due out until the middle of the week....I am very pissed that two magazines I receive each month(EGM and PSM)have yet to review these games.......My opinion is.....both will be top notch games with something to offer over the other. Does anyone know where there may be reviews for these two games..??

I have checked....Dailyradar, Gamepro.com, Videogamespot, IGN.com,......
Old 03-12-01, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

check out this link
http://ps2.ign.com/news/32190.html

Personally, I think I might wait for MLB which seems to have alot more features like franchise mode

Old 03-12-01, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
After much debating, I went with All Star Baseball. It looks to have the slight edge; and I have never been a huge fan of Triple Play on the PS. I do like the new fielding cursors on TP; I hope it won't be too hard to field on ASB. One of the reasons I went with ASB is the player on TP look funny, all squat-like and short. It was a tough call, but it helped that TWEC was selling ASB for $3 less. With the coupon code, the ASB game is only $36 shipped. You can't beat that!

PS: Isn't MLB the Sony 989 Studio project? You would have to be some sort of deluded optomist to think that after they put out a dreadful NFL, horrible College Football, crappy NCAA Basketball, subpar NBA, and inferior NHL game, that suddenly they can play with the big boys when it comes to baseball. Wait for the ASB vs TP reviews to come in, but DON'T wait for the MLB, 989's track record speaks for itself.
Old 03-12-01, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Decker
After much debating, I went with All Star Baseball. It looks to have the slight edge; and I have never been a huge fan of Triple Play on the PS. I do like the new fielding cursors on TP; I hope it won't be too hard to field on ASB. One of the reasons I went with ASB is the player on TP look funny, all squat-like and short. It was a tough call, but it helped that TWEC was selling ASB for $3 less. With the coupon code, the ASB game is only $36 shipped. You can't beat that!

PS: Isn't MLB the Sony 989 Studio project? You would have to be some sort of deluded optomist to think that after they put out a dreadful NFL, horrible College Football, crappy NCAA Basketball, subpar NBA, and inferior NHL game, that suddenly they can play with the big boys when it comes to baseball. Wait for the ASB vs TP reviews to come in, but DON'T wait for the MLB, 989's track record speaks for itself.

Exactly what I was thinking with the Twec deal........

As for MLB by 989........I don't think so!!! The competition is and will be between Acclaim and EA with All-Star Baseball and the Triple Play series!!!

I have a $50 gift card for BB....may go ahead and get both......with the deal through Twec for All Star...I figure the worse case scenario would be listing this on ebay if it turns out that I like Triple Play better!!!! $36 will not be hard to get back on ebay!!
Old 03-13-01, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well.....dailyradar finally put up reviews for both of
these games!!! For those unfamiliar with their scale....

They have

Direct Hit
Hit
Miss
Dud....I believe those are right......

Anyway.....

Triple Play PS2 Hit

All Star Baseball Miss

Guess I will be going with the one game I have followed for years now....should have known better!!!!

BTW.....High Heat Baseball(PS) received a 5.7 rating from Videogamespot.com. I would guess the PS2 version will be similar which does not surprise me with this series of baseball games!!!
Old 03-13-01, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Decker
I'm new to consoles (never had a PS1 or DC), so I'm not familiar with 989's track record. The only 989 game I've played was "Everquest", which was a really awesome game. The reason why I bring up MLB is because it has tons of features which none of the other have - passed ball/wild pitches, franchise mode, injuries etc. It just seems like a better baseball sim than the others. As to whether it delivers or not, that is another question
Old 03-13-01, 12:57 PM

I think it comes down to what you want in your baseball sim. If you want a fast paced arcade style baseball game then get Triple Play, but if you want a simulation with franchise mode and more realism go for the other. From what I have read and seen (downloaded movies) Triple Play takes advantage of the PS2 and has a bit of that Madden touch of fantastic graphics.. but it plays more arcade like and fast paced (which is perfect for me, baseball is a bit to boring otherwise).
Old 03-17-01, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do not understand something here......

How can Dailyradar rip All Star Baseball by giving it a Miss on their review and stating that the game is pretty much terrible.........

Then Videogamespot gives this game an 8.3 with nothing really bad to say about it?????

Does anyone have either one yet????
Old 03-17-01, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good news I think.......

It appears that Dailyradar reviewed a copy of All Star Baseball which was bug ridden........

According to IGN.COM......they were waiting for their "retail" copy to arrive prior to reviewing this title as the game has been fixed by Acclaim so they will be posting their review on Monday!!!

I would assume that Videogamespot must have received this retail edition which would explain the good review for this game!!!! Check out this link for the info on ign.com.....

http://ps2.ign.com/news/32455.html