a) 2 Player game
b) 4 or more player game

Most sports games come under a) that's why tehre's two categories
Old 03-11-01, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a) Perfect Dark
b) Perfect Dark

Best multiplayer game ever. Chuck in as many sims as you want and go mad, it's brilliant. And as for things like Half-Life, I don't believe that any online game could ever be as much fun as four mates huddled around a TV. Multiplayer games just aren't as much fun when the other player(s) aren't in the same room as you.
Old 03-11-01, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally posted by TheyCallHimJim

And as for things like Half-Life, I don't believe that any online game could ever be as much fun as four mates huddled around a TV. Multiplayer games just aren't as much fun when the other player(s) aren't in the same room as you.

Unless it is you and your friends in the same room, with their own computer. When you play a game on the same TV, it is fun, but your part of the screen is way too small (plus you can see what the other players are doing).

If a multiplayer game can't handle more than 8 players, then you are really missing out.
Old 03-11-01, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

2 players - BG
More players - CS
Old 03-11-01, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Diablo/Diablo 2
Old 03-11-01, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by TheyCallHimJim
a) Perfect Dark
b) Perfect Dark

Best multiplayer game ever. Chuck in as many sims as you want and go mad, it's brilliant. And as for things like Half-Life, I don't believe that any online game could ever be as much fun as four mates huddled around a TV. Multiplayer games just aren't as much fun when the other player(s) aren't in the same room as you.
Sorry but unless you are able to use multiple TV's I have to disagree with you.

My choice:
a)Half Life:Counterstrike.
b)Half Life:Counterstrike.

Runners up:
a)Diablo II
b)Diablo II
Old 03-11-01, 03:00 PM

Bomberman, Worms Armageddon, Tribes, DiabloII, UT, Age of Empires II, Rogue Spear (personal favorite)

As for console vs. PC FPS games, PC games beat the crap out of console FPS games in terms of multiplayer (Goldeneye, Perfect Dark etc). Huddling around a TV with a few other people only has social benefits; in terms of pure gameplay, absolutely nothing can beat having your *own* screen and playing dozens of other people. I've played games like Quake and Rogue spear and other PC-to-console fps games in multiplayer and they were all horrible experiences compared ot on the PC (especially Rogue Spear, which requires stealth- something that is 100% killed in split-screen). Tribes is the best FPS multiplayer game ever, and there's no way you could get that experience with four players on one screen. That's why the PC has the advantage when it comes to mulitplayer games (although that's slightly changing), and which is why most of the best multiplayer games ever are on the PC.
Old 03-11-01, 03:14 PM

Unreal Tournament - Tactical Op's for both.
Old 03-12-01, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with TCHJ, IMHO four friends around a t.v. is more fun. I like online gaming occasionally, but nothing beats the trash talking, round robin tournaments, gambling, cheating, etc. of 4 friends around a t.v. I also can't pick one game since I get the same amount of joy from playing my fave multiplayer games.

A

-Fifa, NHL, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Perfect Dark, Twisted Metal 2

B

-Super Smash Bros., Gauntlet, Wrestltmania 2000
Old 03-12-01, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by Cereal-Killer
I agree with TCHJ, IMHO four friends around a t.v. is more fun. I like online gaming occasionally, but nothing beats the trash talking, round robin tournaments, gambling, cheating, etc. of 4 friends around a t.v. I also can't pick one game since I get the same amount of joy from playing my fave multiplayer games.

A

-Fifa, NHL, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Perfect Dark, Twisted Metal 2

B

-Super Smash Bros., Gauntlet, Wrestltmania 2000
Obviously you're more interested in socializing with friends and trash talking while playing a game, instead of the actual gameplay. I could care less if I'm sitting next to my friends while playing, online multiplayer games have far better gameplay- period. Obviously you've never played in a LAN party or played UT with a bunch of friends on your floor in a dorm....you can trash talk all you want, and the game is much more fun than playing it with only three other people, having a quarter of the screen, being able to see eachother's locations *all the time*, and playing with some dinky little controller that can't handle a FPS game like a keyboard can. Social aspects or not, that doesn't make the actual game more fun- online games have much better gameplay.
Oh and one more thing: being able to play online gives you an unlimited number of different people to play; I get sick of playing the same people over and over on a console game. I like the challenge of adapting to totally new people and their strategies, tactics and skills.
Old 03-12-01, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where did I say that I preferred trash talking over gameplay? I just prefer the experience of console multiplayer gaming to online gaming. If you couldn't guess by my choices that I only have one FPS on there, because I don't like FPS too much!!! And yes, I have played UT with a bunch of friends online. I didn't say I hated it, I just prefer playing sports and fighting games to online FPS and RPG's like Diablo. Phantasy Star Online was good, just to get better items and level up faster, but I still preferred offline to that.
Old 03-12-01, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A)
SF3 3rd Strike

B)Quake 3

(You can kiss my @$$ tha_dvd_man since you always attack people on their choices of video games)

Maybe Cereal-killer has some friends in REAL LIFE that he enjoys playing with as well. I like FPS, but for me, nothing beats a tournament of any REAL Street Fighter Game at an arcade (especially the national tournamets) I get to play tons of people from around the country and as far as "gameplay" goes, Nothing beats the gameplay of a SF game.
But you can sit alone in your room all day with the lights off and play some UT if you want, i dont care.
But, I also don't even consider you a threat on anything because you whine about the rl on Q3 anyway, and if you were actually any good, youd know that the rl aint $#!t.
Old 03-13-01, 11:31 AM

But you can sit alone in your room all day with the lights off and play some UT if you want, i dont care.
But, I also don't even consider you a threat on anything because you whine about the rl on Q3 anyway, and if you were actually any good, youd know that the rl aint $#!t.
I find it sad you would consider anybody on a message board to bea a "threat" in the first place. And yes, I am rather good at QuakeIII, I just didn't bother playing the game extensively since it's nothing more than a rehash of QuakeII. But I am experience enough to know that the rocket launcher is too powerful and easy to use.
Secondly, if "sitting in your room with the lights off" is the best you can come up with to 'prove' splitscreen 4-player FPS gaming is better than real FPS gaming, that only proves my point even more. Saying people who prefer real FPS playing with online play don't have "real friends" is a pretty sad generalization, and a pathetic excuse for an arguement. But the fact is, sitting with three other friends does not make a game better. I don't need to mix my socializing with my gaming all the time. But having your own screen so that nobody can see where you are (which is why split-screen inf FPS gaming is total BS) and being able to play a large, realistic number of people makes for a much, much better game than in split-screen, and anybody who thinks otherwise needs to consider changing their twisted logic and reevaluate what makes a good game or not.
If you're someone who think playing Quake, UT, Tribes, Rogue Spear, Half-Life, Counter-Strike etc<small>.</small> with only three other people with everybody being able to see everybody else's location all the time is a better gameplay experience than playing 15 other people and having your own screen with nobody being able to see where you are, you don't know what a good game is.
Nothing beats the gameplay of a SF game.
Says you.

cereal-killer: oh, I thought you were talking about fps games. I agree multiplayer sports games and whatnot are better played offline.
Old 03-13-01, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

cmon tha dvd man (even had to rip another members name), lets play some games, put your money where your mouth is..and yes "says me" because its the truth. thats why every other fighting game dies but SF...Theres still natl tourneys for SSF2turbo, thats how good it is.

but anyway, i wanna tear you up, so come on
Old 03-13-01, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bomberman all the way.
Old 03-13-01, 10:25 PM
Cool New Member

a) Puyo Puyo
b) Bomberman

Then again, I haven't played Puyo Puyo with 4 players...

By the way, after hearing about Super Bomberman 2 in NextGen all the time, I got it at a local import shop and it's clearly the best Bomberman I've played. Quite worth the $16 you can get it for on eBay, but don't forget you'll need a multitap, extra controllers and some way to play Super Famicom games -- I used a SNES and a pair of pliers.
Old 03-14-01, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

phantasy star online. I haven't played a game this much in a long time. diablo 2 is a close second.
Old 03-14-01, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Before all these next generation systems, I have to agree that Super Bomberman 2 on SNES was the BEST multiplayer game.

Now for these days, I can't believe nobody has said SUPER SMASH BROTHERS! It's by far the best multiplayer game. We have it at my fraternity house and it's by far the best. WWF games aren't that bad either.

Back in the day Mario Kart 64 and Bomberman 64 were quite the games too.