Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Things I hate about "The Bouncer", volume 1.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Things I hate about "The Bouncer", volume 1.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-01, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In no particular order:

1) Only about half of the movie scenes are in DD 5.1
2) It takes about an hour to beat.
3) If you die, you must go back to the title screen, and reload your game to continue.
4) It takes a LONG time to get everyone fully powered up.
5) It takes about an hour to beat.
6) It's too easy to not see an enemy about 2 "feet" to your left, right, or behind since you can't manually control the camera (robots anyone?).
7) Aside from bosses, there are only about 5 different enemies.
8) It takes about an hour to beat.
9) You've got to pause the game and select "skip" to skip the movies instead of just hitting a single button (gets a bit annoying since the movies are sometimes broken up, and you must do it every time you die).
10) Your "partners" when fighting are completely useless except to use as shields.
Old 03-09-01, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guess Square took too much time on the graphics and not nearly enough on gameplay. I thought this was going to be another 40+ hour epic RPG. Guess not.
Old 03-09-01, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I only played it like 20 minutes and it was pretty fun, but not great game.
Old 03-10-01, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
This is defintely one I will get when its $20 in a few months, but not at the $50 price tag. I'm too busy with Conker right now anyway.
Old 03-10-01, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
SO the game that was suppose to save PS2 from Lack of games, just fell short? How am i not surprised?
Old 03-10-01, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
heehee. check out this strip (3/9) from Polymer City comics: http://mpog.efront.com/polymercity/

Tuan Jim
Old 03-10-01, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I cancelled this game as soon as I saw some of the reviews and articles claiming this game left much to be desired!!! What a shame....I thought someone finally made a game which could rival games such as Streets of Rage and I am not talking about flashy graphics but actual gameplay which is what all games need to be considered good!!!
Old 03-12-01, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
SO the game that was suppose to save PS2 from Lack of games, just fell short? How am i not surprised?
Actually, the game that will save the PS2 from lack of games will be Zone of the Enders coming at the end of this month. Unfortunately, most people will buy this just to get the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo, but when they put ZOE in they may be happy to see the great game they got with the demo. Onimusha, although short (but not as horrid as The Bouncer), will also sell well. Red Faction and Shadows of Destiny should also be good. We shall see...
Old 03-12-01, 10:27 AM

Nope, ZOE is also getting slammed by reviewers as well.
Another "too Short" game with repetitive battles and monotonous gameplay, with a MGS2 demo thrown in for substance.
Old 03-12-01, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bouncer Sucks

Um, I think the subject says it all. I can't believe I actually bought this over Conker... I know that Rare always puts out high quality stuff, but the pretty graphics made me do it! It's alright though I bought it at EB so I'll be bringing it back and swapping it for the crazy squiral.

Back to the game. Has about 45 minutes of actual play time. THIS IS NOT AN EXAGERATION! The whole thing is a bloody movie. I think square should stick to FF.

I'm sure that some good games will start coming for PS2 soon. If not. I wasted 350 bucks on this thing, because its gonna die if there aint something good soon. (What's that I see GT3??? Of course, this was sopposed to be ready at launch )
Old 03-12-01, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DirtyMack
Nope, ZOE is also getting slammed by reviewers as well.
Another "too Short" game with repetitive battles and monotonous gameplay, with a MGS2 demo thrown in for substance.
May I ask where you may have seen these slams on ZOE? I'm very interested as I don't even think Famitsu's rating on it is out yet. Thanks much.

Update: I went looking through the web and found that Famitsu had indeed reviewed Zone of the Enders. It received a silver rating (30-31 points on the scale) although I have no clue on the numbers between the four reviewers. Three other games also received the Silver Rating that week: Shadows of Destiny and the two Zelda games on Game Boy. I have yet to find slams on ZOE yet though.

If anyone has an idea of the scores and could pass it along I would be greatly appreciated. I'll still be getting the game no matter how short it is.

[Edited by AgtFox on 03-12-01 at 12:13 PM]
Old 03-12-01, 01:14 PM

yes, it took me a whole 4 and a half hours to beat it...this game was a total letdown. The camera angle that you can not change is the worst part...the use of the press/sens. buttons is actually alright. I liked it, but i couldn't get over the shitty camera angles. And the fact that a 6 year old could have beat it...square should stick to FF, and maybe shouldn't have wasted so much time on a FF movie?!? thats what drew away from bouncer....ha
Old 03-12-01, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

March 14th Onimusha comes out.....if this game ends up sucking too, im just gonna throw my PS2 out my window and fire up the SNES.
Old 03-12-01, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DVDKrayzie
March 14th Onimusha comes out.....if this game ends up sucking too, im just gonna throw my PS2 out my window and fire up the SNES.
That's actually what I've been doing for the past few months , though I didn't "throw out" my PS2. SNES is still, in my opinion, the best system ever.
Old 03-12-01, 04:35 PM

Here's a hands on review of ZOE:

http://www.dailyradar.co.uk/reviews/...eview_411.html

Old 03-12-01, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not debating their score for ZOE, but Dailyradar couldn't review their way out of a paper bag. Seriously, anyone who rates a game out of a possible 4 points (2 good and 2 bad), is already whacked out.

Tuan Jim
Old 03-12-01, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, The Bouncer was a big disappointment. But im really looking 4ward to Onimusha coming out on the 14th. Thats my kinda game. Shadow of Destiny looks pretty interesting, it has a nice premise. I was reading through my Game Informer Magazine and i saw some pics and read up on the new Grand Theft Auto 3 game for PS2, it looks amazing. Check it out guys!
Old 03-12-01, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am really tempted to buy Shadow of Destiny. I am going to go look for some reviews of it.
Old 03-13-01, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Shadows of Destiny is really good as long as you don't mind not having weapons and just having a general adventure. Think of it as Shenmue without the fighting and virtual world part (i.e. going to get food, feed the cat, play arcade games, etc.) and you basically have Shadows of Destiny.

Here's another question for people. Bouncer notwithstanding, have we become so jaded that we NEED to have games that last X number of hours? I remember back in the days where you could beat many good games in under 10 hours. Just as one example, I beat Super Metroid in well under 10 hours yet almost everyone I know loves that game. Metal Gear Solid can be beaten in under 10 hours as well. These are just two examples and I could go way back in gaming and find other great games with under 10 hours of gameplay.

Maybe we're just so used to the RPGs that last us upwards of 40 hours. I personally would like to see games that have less gameplay time because I buy a lot of RPGs and I never finish them because of my lack of much time to do so. Then a new game comes out and I have to play that, then maybe down the line I go back to the RPG again.

Anyway, feel free to discuss what I asked. I will still be getting Onimusha and ZOE no matter how long they are (btw, the MGS2 demo can be beaten in 15 min.).
Old 03-13-01, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the problem is that the games are short AND they suck. Also, I don't see too many people complaining about 10 hour games. But 1 hour or less to beat a game is really pushing it, unless it's a fighting game or something that has a lot of replayability.
Old 03-13-01, 10:06 AM

Well, i rented(thak god!) The Bouncer over the weekend, and i hated it! I played, or better yet, watched the game for around an hour, out of that hour there was no more than 15 minutes of actual gameplay. The gameplay itself is bland and very uninspired, you have no throw moves to begin with, no interaction with the enviroment, and no usable weapons, inexcusable in 2001. When you do fight however, you and your two AI controlled companions get to beat the crap out of 2 to 4 enemies, and then have to sit through 5 more minutes of cinemas.

This game could have been 20 hours long, but that would have just lenghtened the torture that playing this game is
Old 03-13-01, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AgtFox
[i]Actually, the game that will save the PS2 from lack of games will be Zone of the Enders coming at the end of this month. Unfortunately, most people will buy this just to get the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo, but when they put ZOE in they may be happy to see the great game they got with the demo. Onimusha, although short (but not as horrid as The Bouncer), will also sell well. Red Faction and Shadows of Destiny should also be good. We shall see...
Actually, I have both Onimusha and ZOE (I have the '1000' model import PS2 from last March), and ZOE is a "good" game, I wouldn't call it great, but I'm not a big mech fan. But that's just me.

Onimusha is a great game, a little too easy, and quick, but it was well worth the $$$.

And the MGS demo, WOW! That's the game I've been waiting for, I can't wait to get to E3 this year!

I'm still waiting for "Halo" on the PC though, that game will dominate everything!
Old 03-13-01, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Keyser Soze

I'm still waiting for "Halo" on the PC though, that game will dominate everything!
That would be cool, but everything I've heard so far (then again my news may be a little out of date) is to the effect that Halo will come out on Mac and X-box, but not normal PC. I could be wrong though. Not the first time either (maybe the third though).

Tuan Jim
Old 03-13-01, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tuan Jim
That would be cool, but everything I've heard so far (then again my news may be a little out of date) is to the effect that Halo will come out on Mac and X-box, but not normal PC. I could be wrong though. Not the first time either (maybe the third though).

Tuan Jim
[Hyjack]
It's coming out for PC afterall. There were so many people pi$t that they might have to buy a damn_X box to play this they started a petition, and Bungie ended up confirming that Halo would still come out on PC. They posted it oj their website late last yaer.

This was very heated after Bill 'suck me' Gates bought Bungie. He knew that he needed good developers to support the x box.

O well, if you can't beat em' buy em!

[/Hyjack]
Old 03-13-01, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by AgtFox
Shadows of Destiny is really good as long as you don't mind not having weapons and just having a general adventure. Think of it as Shenmue without the fighting and virtual world part (i.e. going to get food, feed the cat, play arcade games, etc.) and you basically have Shadows of Destiny.

I love these kinds of games. I was a big fan of the original D, but D2 was a little too much like Resident Evil for my taste. I have been looking for a good adventure game with puzzles to solve and a mystery to figure out for quite a while. As far as short games go. Panzer Dragoon Saga was a very short RPG. 15 hours is all it took for me to finish it. However, it was still one of the best games I have ever played. It removed all of the extra battles needed in most RPGs to build experience and just stuck with doing what was needed to advance the story. I wish most RPGs could learn that lesson.