Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Console Rankings

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-01, 12:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking into account both hardward and software, I would currently rank the popular consoles as follows:

1) Dreamcast
2) PS2
3) PS1
4) N64

From my observations, I believe the rankings will change by next year as follows:

1) Xbox
2) Gamecube
3) PS2
4) Dreamcast
5) PS1
6) N64

I know there are other consoles that will also compete, but the above mentioned will be the popular ones.

Dreamcast has, by a slight margin, the best combination of hardware and software at the present time. Although the PS2 has potentially better graphics, the Dreamcast software pushes it into the lead. I expect by fall (as more PS2 software is released) that the PS2 will surpass the Dreamcast but will fall well below the Xbox and Gamecube. I become more and more impressed with the Xbox as new information is released. I really can't wait!

Old 02-25-01, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

why would you think that the gamecube will surpass the ps2 next year? how many years was the original ps out before the n64 came out? you would think that when the n64 came out (with it's vastly improved technical capabilities) it would kick the ps1's butt. didn't happen! even today, years later, the ps1 is considered a far more successful system then the n64. maybe if you are like 12 years old then the gamecube will be the system for you, but if you don't like cutesy rated G video games then there's really no reason to think that it will be better then the ps2. next year the really good ps2 games will be coming out and the gamecube will be dealing with its own launch problems and the lack of excellent first generation titles that goes along with it.

It takes more than specs and processing power to make a great console. the bottom line is that in a year the dreamcast, n64, and ps1 will be dead or dying...and the ps2 will be #1. Whether the X-box will be a serious contender is yet to be seen...it very well may, but it's microsoft's first try and there are no guarantees. What I do know is that the gamecube will most definitely be bringing up the rear of the 3 next generation consoles.

you are certainly entitled to your own opinion...even if it is most definitely wrong.
Old 02-25-01, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think right now its like this:

1. PS2
2. Dreamcast
3. Nintendo 64
4. Playstation

blah blah blah, in the near future itll be

1. PS2
2. Gamecube
3. X-Box
blah blah blah

PS2 is going to stay dominant. Its got great titles in the works and will prevail over upcoming consoles. Im not too sure about the X-Box, even though B.Gates is behind it, you've gotta stay and trust the people whos been in the game for a while. And thats Nintendo who are gonna dazzle us with the Gamecube and PS2 who going to blow the competition from now on with its great games its got on the way. Dreamcast has got its tiltles coming but its time is coming as well, how sad.
Old 02-25-01, 10:28 AM

IMO

Right now:

1. Dreamcast
2. PS2
3. N64
4. PSX

Later

1. X-Box (hey it's Microsoft, they have the $$$)
2. X-Box (MS can't stand competition)
3. X-Box (why would you want to get stuff 1 year later in America waiting for a Japanese company when you can get it as soon as it is released?)
4. Gamecube (kids gotta play)

All-time

1. Super Nintendo
2. NES 8-bit
4. Gameboy
3. Sega Genesis
4. Turbo Grafix 16
5. N64
Old 02-25-01, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by broadwayblue
why would you think that the gamecube will surpass the ps2 next year? how many years was the original ps out before the n64 came out? you would think that when the n64 came out (with it's vastly improved technical capabilities) it would kick the ps1's butt. didn't happen! even today, years later, the ps1 is considered a far more successful system then the n64. maybe if you are like 12 years old then the gamecube will be the system for you, but if you don't like cutesy rated G video games then there's really no reason to think that it will be better then the ps2. next year the really good ps2 games will be coming out and the gamecube will be dealing with its own launch problems and the lack of excellent first generation titles that goes along with it.

It takes more than specs and processing power to make a great console. the bottom line is that in a year the dreamcast, n64, and ps1 will be dead or dying...and the ps2 will be #1. Whether the X-box will be a serious contender is yet to be seen...it very well may, but it's microsoft's first try and there are no guarantees. What I do know is that the gamecube will most definitely be bringing up the rear of the 3 next generation consoles.

you are certainly entitled to your own opinion...even if it is most definitely wrong.

The PS came out on 09/9/95 the N64 came out in 1996 one year later.
Old 02-25-01, 11:53 AM
Banned

PS2 is going to stay dominant. Its got great titles in the works and will prevail over upcoming consoles
PS2 is going to stay dominant
You,re right. The PS2 will, no doubt, hold the top selling spot. However, being the top seller doesn't necessary equate to the "best." For example, McDonalds sells many more hamburgers than other establishments, but that doesn't mean it makes the best hamburgers. (Sorry for the analogy -- that's the first thing that popped in mind). Why? because of how established and entrenched it is. It has name recognition, familiarity, and a VERY loyal following. A NEW competitor (no matter how good it is) will have a very difficult time competing. This is also very true with playstation. It is VERY established and has a VERY loyal following.

I own both a playstation 1 and Dreamcast. There's no comparison at all with graphics and power. The Dreamcast is heads above the PS1. And, even though PS1 has some good software, some of the Dreamcast software is outright amazing. I end up using the Dreamcast much more than the PS1. So why is the Dreamcast dead? Because it just couldn't compete with such an established icon as the Playstation. It would have been a miracle for Sega to compete. I think Sega underestimated just how difficult it would be to compete against Playstation. (I should add that Sega did a very poor job with marketing).

I believe the same thing will occur with the PS2. Playstation is SO established that it will sell tons no matter what. Xbox and Gamecube (who is trying to break out of the "kiddy" image) will have an extremely difficult time getting established. I think Microsoft understands this, though. They are doing a MUCH better job of marketing than Sega did. But even with the 500 million dollars Gates is investing in just the marketing, they will have an uphill battle.

So my rankings do NOT reflect sales. I concede right now that PS2 will be the leader in that. My rankings reflect my OPINION on the best system and software.

1) Xbox
2) Gamecube
2) PS2
4) Dreamcast
5) PS1
6) N64

From the standpoint of overall console power and software, I still believe the Xbox will be best. I'm sure it WON'T sell as well as the PS2, but from what I have studied, I believe it will be a better system all around.

Is there enough room for all of these consoles? Or are some going to find an early grave just like Sega's Dreamcast? No doubt PS2 will survive, but what about Xbox or Gamecube? And what's going to happen to PS1 and N64 when these new systems enter?

Happy Gaming!

Old 02-25-01, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by ricwhite
You,re right. The PS2 will, no doubt, hold the top selling spot. However, being the top seller doesn't necessary equate to the "best." For example, McDonalds sells many more hamburgers than other establishments, but that doesn't mean it makes the best hamburgers. (Sorry for the analogy -- that's the first thing that popped in mind). Why? because of how established and entrenched it is. It has name recognition, familiarity, and a VERY loyal following. A NEW competitor (no matter how good it is) will have a very difficult time competing. This is also very true with playstation. It is VERY established and has a VERY loyal following.

I own both a playstation 1 and Dreamcast. There's no comparison at all with graphics and power. The Dreamcast is heads above the PS1. And, even though PS1 has some good software, some of the Dreamcast software is outright amazing. I end up using the Dreamcast much more than the PS1. So why is the Dreamcast dead? Because it just couldn't compete with such an established icon as the Playstation. It would have been a miracle for Sega to compete. I think Sega underestimated just how difficult it would be to compete against Playstation. (I should add that Sega did a very poor job with marketing).

I believe the same thing will occur with the PS2. Playstation is SO established that it will sell tons no matter what. Xbox and Gamecube (who is trying to break out of the "kiddy" image) will have an extremely difficult time getting established. I think Microsoft understands this, though. They are doing a MUCH better job of marketing than Sega did. But even with the 500 million dollars Gates is investing in just the marketing, they will have an uphill battle.

So my rankings do NOT reflect sales. I concede right now that PS2 will be the leader in that. My rankings reflect my OPINION on the best system and software.

1) Xbox
2) Gamecube
2) PS2
4) Dreamcast
5) PS1
6) N64

From the standpoint of overall console power and software, I still believe the Xbox will be best. I'm sure it WON'T sell as well as the PS2, but from what I have studied, I believe it will be a better system all around.

Is there enough room for all of these consoles? Or are some going to find an early grave just like Sega's Dreamcast? No doubt PS2 will survive, but what about Xbox or Gamecube? And what's going to happen to PS1 and N64 when these new systems enter?

Happy Gaming!

[/B]
I don't agree with you. I don't think the PS2 will stay dominant. Have you ever seen a company making the most popular console twice in 2 generations? There was Atari, then Sega, then Nintendo (I still believe the Super Nintendo was the best console ever made, of course technically the PS2 is better), then Sony and then... Microsoft!

When Sony first introduced the PSX do you believe that Sega and Nintendo (Nes 8-bit, SNES) were not established icons?

And about the PS1 and N64... Of course they will be dead. Look at the NES 8-bit when the SNES was released, look that the SNES when N64 was released...

Microsoft will be the dominant company because they have the money, they will have the hardware and the software (look at all the support from developpers already).

I am also quite happy to finally see a US company make a console. Why always wait for Japanese products that sell their products in Japan first? Why do you fell the need to send your money to Japan? (sorry I am out of subject I know...)
Old 02-25-01, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here we go with system comparison again....

Let us all just concede to the fact that all systems are worth having even if for only a few games on each system!!!
I refuse to compare....just have fun with what is available!!!
Old 02-25-01, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

djones, how right you are. I own a ps2 but still plan on purchasing an x-box when it comes out. there will always be great games that are only available on one system so having them all is the best way to have all the best games. obviously that might not be practical for everyone, but serious gamers who want to own all the best games will find a way to make it possible. I will, however, not buy a gamecube until they have proven that will "break out of the "kiddy" image." with sega out of game console hardware production i think it is quite possible that the three remaining companies (sony, microsoft, and nintendo) can do quite well. However, it is yet to be seen if any (nintendo???) will have to target a particular market to remain competitive.
Old 02-26-01, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

One thing that no one has mentioned is that Sega is now a third party developer. To me Sega's games are the ones I have always looked forward to the most. They may not know how to market and sell a game system but they make damn fine games. I think a lot of people are going to base their decision on what console and games to buy based on this amongst other things. Whichever console gets the majority of Sega's premium franchises will get most of my money, assuming they are done well of course.

By the way my rankings are as follows;

Now:
Dreamcast
PSX
N64
PS2

In the future:
PS2
X Box
Game Cube
Dreamcast
PSX
N64

[Edited by cloud on 02-25-01 at 10:56 PM]
Old 02-26-01, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Current best.
1 Playstation (still the best because of the large RPG library)
2 Dreamcast
3 N64 (Conker baby!)
4 PS2

Future. Well I shock the magic 8 ball and it said check later.

All Time by number of games I really liked on the system.
1 Playstation
2 Dreamcast
3 Saturn
4 3DO
5 SNES
6 Sega CDX
7 NES
8 N64
9 Atari 2600
10 Phillips CD-i

Old 02-26-01, 05:21 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just like good games regardless of what system they are on, though I am a little biased toward Nintendo as they are the company that got me hooked on games, and no one can beat their first party games IMO. I'll rank this on my preference judging by amount of good games, for the future, I'll guess based on what I know of upcoming games.

Present:

Dreamcast
N64
PSX
PS2

Future:

Gamecube
X-Box
Gameboy Advance
PS2
Dreamcast (for the next year anyway)

All Time:

Dreamcast
Super Nintendo
N64
NES
Gameboy
PSX
PS2(will surely move up as it's library grows)
Old 02-26-01, 11:34 PM
Banned

Let us all just concede to the fact that all systems are worth having even if for only a few games on each system!!!
I refuse to compare....just have fun with what is available!!!
Yeah, I believe that ALL consoles have something to offer. But the problem is that very few people can afford to buy all consoles. That's why a discussion of systems is valuable. People can decide which features and games they like best and make an informed decision on which one is best for them.

In my opinion, software is more important than the hardware. I would much rather play an awesome game on a poor system than a poor game on an awesome system. I believe the Dreamcast offers the best of both worlds right now. And I am predicting that the Xbox will be the new standard for the best combination of hardware power and quality innovative software. But only time will tell.

But I do agree that all systems have positives and attract their own followers.

Old 02-27-01, 07:40 PM
Cool New Member

I think PS2 will die. Article after article reports on disappointed developers and buyers. I don't have one but from what I have read I think the PS2 will fade away and NEW leader will emerge. I think it will be the Xbox. I don't think the Game Cube will sell to anyone but kids. I'm saving my money right now for the Xbox.

Old 02-27-01, 11:14 PM
Banned

I think the PS2 will fade away and NEW leader will emerge. I think it will be the Xbox.
Maybe eventually. But I think the Xbox will suffer from a slow start. Although I have read that they expect about 20 games or so made immedately for the Xbox, I have also heard that only about six will be ready at launch time. That number is expected to dwindle even more. So maybe, if we're lucky, we could expect four games at launch. At the same time, PS2 will have dozens of established games. PS2 would be right in its prime -- with a lot of momentum. I'm sure that some people who were planning on buying an Xbox may change their mind when they see the slow start -- opting instead to purchase the PS2.

Old 02-28-01, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mikesu
I think PS2 will die. Article after article reports on disappointed developers and buyers. I don't have one but from what I have read I think the PS2 will fade away and NEW leader will emerge. I think it will be the Xbox. I don't think the Game Cube will sell to anyone but kids. I'm saving my money right now for the Xbox.

Personally I will be buying an Xbox when it comes out (or shortly thereafter), but there is absolutely no way the ps2 will fade away any time soon. In an article I just read SCEA just announced that over 300 ps2 games will be released this year alone. Buyers may be disappointed now because of the difficulty of obtaining one and the relative lack of exceptional software available at this time...but that will soon change as the supply of both systems and software increases.
Old 02-28-01, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Present:
SNES

Future:
SNES

All-Time:
SNES

SNES has the best 2-D graphics! Plus it was the only system I had for 7 years...
Old 02-28-01, 02:23 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i like any system where u can get copied software for cos there's no way i can afford to pay the new game prices so ner

Old 02-28-01, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Gamecube um Gamecube, Gamecube.

And maybe X-box.

first let me say, YES! I do own a PS2, I usually but all consoles. (exception being the saturn, knew that was going to fail...)

Anyhow, PS2 basically has nothing to offer once Gamecube and X-box hit the market. It's the truth.

Developers already hate the PS2 for its hard time to program for (hmm, N64 and Saturn anyone?). "Okay Jeff, its hard to program for, doesn't mean games will not come out" is what you are thinking. And you are right. However, developers will see no reason to bring out their games to Xbox and gamecube.

In other words PS2 will have nothing that Looks better, or plays better that the other 2 won't have. I'm not saying that PS2 is going to fail, but as a hardcore gamer its easy to ask why own something that doesn't offer anything special?

Gamecube is sopposed to be a cinch to program for, and have a lot of "extras" in the hardware that are very kind to publishers. Xbox is running off a version of windows, i think everyone knows the tricks of that by now. PS2 is a pain in the arse. Both the Cube and the Xbox will be more powerful then the PS2, so I see little reason to own it much longer then 3 months from now.

So why is Xbox and Cube going to be a "gamers" machine well, they are both poerful no doubt. Xbox offers exclusive titles (mainly cause Gates is buying them off, sad but true). Xbox also has some nice hardware advantages (ie HD and internal eithernet.) Even though I don't like the HD idea, it will help bring PC developers on board and others. GameCube? Well, its nintendo for christ sake. Suppior games from them, Rare, Retro, Left Field, etc. You can not consider yourself a real gamer and say the Nintendo sucks, that just shows ignorance, exspecially after they are responsible for most of the inovation in the game market.

Oh, and Sony addicts, it looks like square is even going to defect from sony only camp. Sony can only pay them so much, and there is to much money to made on other systems...

So. My point is this, in 3 months, does anyone want a PS2?
Old 02-28-01, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Many Japanese developers said they will produce Xbox games, but I don't see too many of them rushing into development. With Square and Sega for the time being supporting the PS2 I think it has a future. MGS2 and GT3 don't hurt either. Xbox is a wildcard, but I still think the PS2 can stay on top if they can get some decent software and enough systems on the shelves soon.

[Edited by darkside on 02-28-01 at 05:32 PM]
Old 02-28-01, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

darkside you are definitly correct about the japenese being weary of xbox. But that's what the cash bill has is for.

On a late breaking note: Namco just announced loses do to Sony PS2 sales being not as exspected. Concurrently they anounced full support for Gamecube... (Yummy) No word on Xbox... (I of course stole this all from ign.cube.com, and no, I don't care to correct my spelling mistakes.)
Old 03-01-01, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by darkside
Many Japanese developers said they will produce Xbox games, but I don't see too many of them rushing into development. With Square and Sega for the time being supporting the PS2 I think it has a future. MGS2 and GT3 don't hurt either. Xbox is a wildcard, but I still think the PS2 can stay on top if they can get some decent software and enough systems on the shelves soon.

[Edited by darkside on 02-28-01 at 05:32 PM]
Will all due respect I disagree with you. I think the X Box is too good an opportunity for them to pass up even if it's making games for a predominantly US market, assuming it may not gain much market share in Japan.

Konami has already become a major developer for it. Namco and Capcom have signed up and Capcom in particular has traditinally been a multi platform developer. I think Namco is aware that the PS2 may not enjoy the level of success that the PSX had and that puttin all their eggs into one basket may not be a good idea. Sega has announced games for the PS2 but is also reportedly in negotiations with MS. Square was in trouble with it's share holders for posting the first loss in it's history recently, mainly due the the expenses of it's movie division, and they are probably looking at increasing their revenue by expanding their horizons. Plus Squares business relationship with EA will be a boost as EA is a staunch supporter of X Box. Developing exclusively for one console is too risky in this day and age. Those are the most important Japanese developers when it comes to the US games market and American game players. As long as all or most of them are on board, it should not be an issue if the smaller Japanese developers focus on the PS2, Game Cube and Gameboy Advance.
Old 03-03-01, 09:57 PM
Banned

IGN has opened an Xbox preview site. It looks as if the Xbox is lining up some good games from some top software developers. It appears as if the Xbox will appeal to a wide range of gamers -- from young to old.

http://xbox.ign.com/news/32050.html
Old 03-03-01, 10:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dreamcast
XboX
PS2
GameCube
PS1
N64
Old 03-04-01, 08:47 AM

DC
PS2
Xbox
SEGA SATURN
PS1
Gamecube

Notice I don't put the N64 in my list since it's not really a console but just a big joke Nintendo released. I remember when we got it, I sent a few Emails to Nintendo letting them know what I thought of the N64, so many swear words...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.