Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Unpopular Opinion - Video Game/Gaming Edition

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-24, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Unpopular Opinion - Video Game/Gaming Edition

Originally Posted by beavis69
It took the series from survival horror to essentially an action game with zombies. It got rid of the horror element and introduced a convoluted story. I hated the setting as well.
Actually, it still had a horror vibe. Yes, it was more action-ey but it didn't truly abandoned its roots. 5 and 6 were where the series went into TPS with monsters territory.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (03-18-24)
Old 03-15-24, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Not gonna directly quote the other poster, but I disagree about Nintendo and graphics. They've "innovated" enough at this point, their AAA games shouldn't look like they're 2 generations behind the competitors. Even a cartoony look can look good if a little effort is put into it (see the Little Big Planet games).

Here's a unique one from me: when a franchise changes it's "dimensional mode", it loses an important quality that made it special in the first place. Mario games (going all the way back to Donkey Kong) were 2D side view games. Same for Metroid. The Zelda games had that weird 3/4 top down view. When they all moved into a 3D view, they lost something special in my view and those entries have never really appealed to me (small exception, the Mario game where you can be a cat has enough unique characteristics of it's own that I can enjoy it).
A hard disagree on Nintendo games looking 2 generations behind. All the major first party Nintendo games on the switch look absolutely great. That's even when taking into account looking at different totally different generations now. If you don't think they are putting effort into their games then I really don't know what to tell you.

As for the perspective change, Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild and Metroid Prime are some of the absolute best entries in their series. There is absolutely nothing lost with a perspective change and a lot to be gained. Especially when each of those franchises have released games in their original perspective as well. So we can have the best of both worlds which is awesome.

It's your loss if you don't experience some of the newer entries into those franchises just because of a perspective change.

Old 03-16-24, 11:11 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

i hate the beginnings of a game that has such a long preamble before you can actually get into gameplay. i know it's necessary setup, but still sometimes gets annoying.
Old 03-16-24, 11:51 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

My unpopular opinion: Final Fantasy III (SNES; originally FF6) was such an awesome gaming experience at that point in time I never played another FF game after that - on any system.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 03-18-24 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-17-24, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
My unpopular opinion: Final Fantasy III (SNES; originally FF4) was such an awesome gaming experience at that point in time I never played another FF game after that - on any system.
That feels more like an irrational decision than an opinion.
Old 03-18-24, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by beavis69
It took the series from survival horror to essentially an action game with zombies. It got rid of the horror element and introduced a convoluted story. I hated the setting as well.

Fair enough.
Old 03-18-24, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
My unpopular opinion: Final Fantasy III (SNES; originally FF6) was such an awesome gaming experience at that point in time I never played another FF game after that - on any system.
US FF2 is Japan FF4
US FF3 is Japan FF6

Last edited by Goldberg74; 03-18-24 at 07:38 PM.
Goldberg74 (03-18-24)
Old 03-18-24, 07:39 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wanma
US FF2 is Japan FF4
US FF3 is Japan FF6
Corrected. Thank you.

Obi-Wanma (03-18-24)
Old 03-25-24, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

2D hand-drawn pixel-art > 3D textured polygons
Old 03-25-24, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
2D hand-drawn pixel-art > 3D textured polygons
That transition period where the N64 and PlayStation were trying to do 3D with those cruddy images really left a bad mark on a lot of games from that time period. They likely would have been better off using the processing power to make the pixal art even better.
slop101 (03-26-24)
Old 03-25-24, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

That transition period where the N64 and PlayStation were trying to do 3D with those cruddy images really left a bad mark on a lot of games from that time period. They likely would have been better off using the processing power to make the pixal art even better.
While a lot of those games don't hold up graphically today, i still think they were instrumental in terms of game evolution (particularly the standouts like Mario 64, a lot of the RARE games, the N64 wrestling games, etc.)
The following 2 users liked this post by fujishig:
story (03-25-24), tanman (03-28-24)
Old 03-25-24, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
While a lot of those games don't hold up graphically today, i still think they were instrumental in terms of game evolution (particularly the standouts like Mario 64, a lot of the RARE games, the N64 wrestling games, etc.)
At least for me it's less that they don't hold up graphically and more that they were just figuring out 3D controls and camera control so going back to playing early PS1 3D games like Ape Escape, Croc, etc are real rough to play with how much we've mastered 3d controls and improved cameras since then. I tried going back to play through Mario 64 shortly after finishing Super Mario Odyssey and after a few hours I just couldn't do it.
Old 03-26-24, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Questyen
At least for me it's less that they don't hold up graphically and more that they were just figuring out 3D controls and camera control so going back to playing early PS1 3D games like Ape Escape, Croc, etc are real rough to play with how much we've mastered 3d controls and improved cameras since then. I tried going back to play through Mario 64 shortly after finishing Super Mario Odyssey and after a few hours I just couldn't do it.
Oh, I completely agree, it's a tough generation to go back and really enjoy in the modern age (even something like Golden Eye), just disputing the "better off staying 2d" thing. And I think we've naturally seen devs go back to 2d anyway as costs skyrocket and nostalgia soars so I don't think we missed out on that much (though I would still love another 2d capcom vs marvel game).
Old 03-28-24, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, I completely agree, it's a tough generation to go back and really enjoy in the modern age (even something like Golden Eye), just disputing the "better off staying 2d" thing. And I think we've naturally seen devs go back to 2d anyway as costs skyrocket and nostalgia soars so I don't think we missed out on that much (though I would still love another 2d capcom vs marvel game).

Yep this is pretty much everything I was going to say. Mario 64 and Zelda OOT are enough to justify the experimental N64 generation. We wouldn't be where we are today without those revolutionary games, warts and all. Although I am pretty glad that some franchises skipped that generation all together. I couldn't imagine a Metroid game in the N64 era. It was much better waiting it out and jumping straight to Metroid Prime.
Old 04-04-24, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

As I was 'finishing' Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown last night, an opinion finally crystallized that I'm guessing isn't popular: most boss fights in 2D metroidvania games are annoying, consisting of unnecessary difficulty spikes that break and are at odds with the exploration-driven flow of their primary gameplay.

Specific to PoP:TLC, I really enjoyed the game, except for the bosses. When I got to the last one, I made two attempts and quit. Not because I don't think I could learn his pattern enough to beat him after several more attempts, but because I'd already done everything that I wanted to do in the game and didn't care enough to put in the effort. The same goes for Metroid Dread. I mostly loved most of that game, but quit at the final boss because it's not why I was playing.

Thinking back to other recent-ish games in the genre that I've enjoyed (Bloodstained, Hollow Knight and both Ori's), I can't even recall a single boss fight, though I know they were there. I think I finished all four of those, but honestly, I might've gotten to their final bosses and just put away the controller. To me, they're generally just a tax I have to pay to continue with the platforming-driven exploration, and I'd usually skip them after a single attempt if the option were available.
Old 04-04-24, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by maxfisher
As I was 'finishing' Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown last night, an opinion finally crystallized that I'm guessing isn't popular: most boss fights in 2D metroidvania games are annoying, consisting of unnecessary difficulty spikes that break and are at odds with the exploration-driven flow of their primary gameplay.

Specific to PoP:TLC, I really enjoyed the game, except for the bosses. When I got to the last one, I made two attempts and quit. Not because I don't think I could learn his pattern enough to beat him after several more attempts, but because I'd already done everything that I wanted to do in the game and didn't care enough to put in the effort. The same goes for Metroid Dread. I mostly loved most of that game, but quit at the final boss because it's not why I was playing.

Thinking back to other recent-ish games in the genre that I've enjoyed (Bloodstained, Hollow Knight and both Ori's), I can't even recall a single boss fight, though I know they were there. I think I finished all four of those, but honestly, I might've gotten to their final bosses and just put away the controller. To me, they're generally just a tax I have to pay to continue with the platforming-driven exploration, and I'd usually skip them after a single attempt if the option were available.
You could probably say this about most non trivial boss fights in any genre that has them (unless it's a game like Furi which is only boss fights). It is enhanced because it seems like you like the other trappings of the genre.
Old 04-04-24, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Life is too short and my time is too valuable to spend an hour on a boss fight in any game.
I get the concept of difficult bosses, but I never find them fun or rewarding.
It's probably why Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted games are among my favorites -- lots of enemies, no super-hard bosses.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
Music (04-04-24), RocShemp (04-07-24)
Old 04-05-24, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

You could probably say this about most non trivial boss fights in any genre that has them (unless it's a game like Furi which is only boss fights). It is enhanced because it seems like you like the other trappings of the genre.
For me, I think it's just they feel really out of place in that specific genre. Bloodborne is probably my favorite game of the past decade, and I loved those boss fights, as much of a pain in the ass as they could be. The two most recent games I finished before PoP:TLC were Alan Wake 2 and Forspoken and I thought the bosses in both of those were generally well done and fit their games in terms of gameplay, tone and the stories they were telling. There's something specifically about encountering them in a 2D metroidvania that really bugs me, as they generally feel very different from what I'm enjoying about the game.
Old 04-05-24, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

The Ori games didn't have any boss fights. They had boss platforming sections.
Old 04-11-24, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
Life is too short and my time is too valuable to spend an hour on a boss fight in any game.
I get the concept of difficult bosses, but I never find them fun or rewarding.
It's probably why Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted games are among my favorites -- lots of enemies, no super-hard bosses.
Of course it's IMO but I love a good boss battle. As long as it's fair and well balanced there's nothing like overcoming a difficult boss after getting better and better with each subsequent try. I don't necessarily enjoy overly long boss battles though. I think the Metroid games get the balance perfectly.

I'd take difficult boss battles over mindless grinding for XP any day.