Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Helldivers 2 (PS5, PC)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-24, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
Helldivers 2 (PS5, PC)

A guy at my work kept gushing about this game. I checked some videos out and decided to purchase. Started playing a few days ago on PS5 and definitely worth it. Im not big into online games but PVE is what i prefer. It for sure inspired by Starship Troopers.

Is anyone else here playing? my PSN nane is bauer83

"Make Super America Bug Free Again!"
Old 02-18-24, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,160 Likes on 951 Posts
Re: Helldivers 2 (PS5, PC)

I definitely got a Starship Troopers vibe from the ad. Looks good but haven’t pulled the trigger to buy.
Old 02-18-24, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 7,132 Likes on 4,840 Posts

I got it but have barely played it yet since I was out of town. Looks good. I liked the first one a decade or whenever it came out. This is much different, but it’s a cool game.
Seems like a big hit on PC, Sony’s biggest so far in that space (and, I think, their first day-and-date PC launch). They’ve apparently had some launch hiccups. Once they get straightened out (or maybe they already have), this could be a popular game.
Not crazy about the microtransactions, but I guess that’s the business model for everything now, and at least it’s totally playable without spending any more.
Old 02-18-24, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
. They’ve apparently had some launch hiccups. Once they get straightened out (or maybe they already have), this could be a popular game.
Not crazy about the microtransactions, but I guess that’s the business model for everything now, and at least it’s totally playable without spending any more.
The current servers are unable to hold the amount of people trying to log in and play (over 350k !)
I only been able to get in late in the evening.

Haven't spent anything extra since the grind is fun and apparently battle passes don't expire. They have a free and premium battle pass.
The following users liked this post:
K&AJones (02-21-24)
Old 02-18-24, 06:07 PM

Yeah, Servers Are Full, Please Try Later.
WTF is that? That is completely unacceptable. They better compensate with a good freebie for that BS.
Old 02-22-24, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 116 Posts

When is the last time you saw a Dev tell everyone not to buy their game.....

Helldivers 2 Lead Is Telling People Not To Buy Until Servers Are Fixed ..... Helldivers 2 Lead Is Telling People Not To Buy Until Servers Are Fixed (thegamer.com)
Old 02-22-24, 08:50 AM

Honestly whether you own it or you don't, it doesn't seem to make any difference in your ability to play this game.
Old 02-22-24, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

I've played quite a bit of this one, all with randoms, and have had a great time. Picked it up at launch and never had any connectivity issues until late last week. It was impossible to get connected unless it was "off-peak" hours, so from early morning to early afternoon.

Jumped on this evening just to see how it was doing, and had no issues getting connected and into games right away.

It gets pretty repetitive after a couple matches so I'm never on for more than an hour or so, but there's still some nice variety between the different biomes, objectives, weapons, and stratagems.

If they can continue to improve the matchmaking process, and keep up with the maintenance, I could see keeping this installed for a while. So far it's been a great game to play when I want to take a break from my main game, which is Final Fantasy XVI these days.
Old 02-29-24, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

I keep hearing about this damn game. I might have to check it out.
Old 02-29-24, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 215 Posts

I really don't get what all the fuss is about. Like it is an ok game, but is very repetitive. I don't understand why the game has blown up the way it has.
Old 02-29-24, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,159 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I really don't get what all the fuss is about. Like it is an ok game, but is very repetitive. I don't understand why the game has blown up the way it has.
Twitch streamers. Everyone wants to be doing/playing the same things they see being streamed.
Music (02-29-24)
Old 02-29-24, 03:10 PM

It's not very deep and is repetitive, I agree. But it's fun at least and it's cool that it's such a popular PvE game rather than PvP. Much less toxic experience.
K&AJones (03-01-24)
Old 03-01-24, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 116 Posts

I've yet to fire this game up...been playing Skull & Bones and don't agree at all with a lot of the Bad Reviews but, for those who have played any tips before jumping straight in and a few questions....

I assume for solo players there is a sort of, Matchmaking where you can join three others?

I've seen reports where players are getting kicked from squads because they don't have some OP Loadout?
Old 03-01-24, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

its a bit of a learning curve (steep but short), but you should figure it out after 4-5 matches. I jumped in pretty cold, played 2-3 matches. then went to youtube and watched a couple Beginner guide videos, and then I got the hang of it after a couple more matches.

I'd recommend going to the Galaxy Map, and hitting quickplay, it will add you to a match.
Old 03-02-24, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

I just picked this up today since my friends have been playing it. You can get it (Steam code) from Green Man Gaming for $33.19 with the coupon code "MAR17"
Old 05-03-24, 09:46 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,312 Likes on 934 Posts

Existing PC players will be forced to login to PSN on this game as of June 6, even though that wasn’t the case since it launched in February. New players will see this requirement if they buy the game after May 6th.

Apparently, this change may make the game eligible for refunds, for those who aren’t interested in that, as it’s changing a key feature/requirement for playing the game.
Players on console aren’t affected since they already have to have a PSN account to play.

Reviews, as such, are going well…

Old 05-05-24, 11:09 AM

Yeah I've seen online how upset that has made people and it's turned a hit for Sony into a PR disaster. As mad as people got, I initially thought players on PC were being required to have an active PS Plus membership. That would be a non-starter. This is just a Playstation ID, which is free and not hard to set up, so I am a little confused as to why PC players are acting like this is such a huge imposition. And also wondering why Sony decided to implement this policy now on a hit game for them.
Dan (05-05-24)
Old 05-05-24, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 259 Likes on 189 Posts

I wasn't going to buy Helldivers II because it's not my type of game but I pull up all games talked about. The PSN account requirement was already there from Day 1.

It's also the first Sony game not on Epic. I'm guessing this will the norm going forward.

Here's a review:

Yeah i'm not linking my account to PSN.
April 2011: Hackers Access Personal Data of 77 Million Sony PlayStation Network Users
May 2011: Personal Details on 25 Million Sony Online Entertainment Customers Stolen
June 2011: Sony Pictures Website Hacked, Exposing One Million Accounts
November 2014: Hackers Steal 100 Terabytes of Data from Sony Pictures
August 2017: Hacker Group Accesses Sony Social Media Accounts
September 2023: Sony Investigates Alleged Hack
October 2023: Sony Notifies Employees of Data Breach

And the recent reviews are Overwhelmingly Negative.
Dan (05-05-24)
Old 05-05-24, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 215 Posts

I got very little mileage out of this game before shelving it. One of the most overrated/overhyped games ever IMO.
Dan (05-05-24)
Old 05-05-24, 12:48 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
Yeah I've seen online how upset that has made people and it's turned a hit for Sony into a PR disaster. As mad as people got, I initially thought players on PC were being required to have an active PS Plus membership. That would be a non-starter. This is just a Playstation ID, which is free and not hard to set up, so I am a little confused as to why PC players are acting like this is such a huge imposition. And also wondering why Sony decided to implement this policy now on a hit game for them.
The issue people have with it is that it wasn’t required from day 1. It was noted on the Steam page and within the game itself, but because of “technical issues” all users were allowed to skip it entirely and there was no indication of if/when it’d suddenly be enforced. Making the requirement mandatory 3ish months later is just a very odd decision.
Worse is that there are plenty of countries where PSN isn’t available, and the game has since been delisted (by Sony or by Steam… not sure) on PC in those regions, and it’s unclear if people who bought the game in those regions are completely out of luck now or getting refunds too.

Also, this may only affect a small number of people, but if their PSN country doesn’t match the Steam country (say, if they ever moved across the world) then, apparently it will also not work anymore.

I do think the outrage is overblown, but there’s still legitimacy to being frustrated/upset that something that was not required/enforced is suddenly mandatory.
Steam seems to agree since they’ve handed refunds over to people who have 200+ hours in the game.
Even the developers said on their Discord to go ahead and ask for refunds and leave negative reviews, since the decision isn’t theirs and puts pressure on Sony to reevaluate.

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I wasn't going to buy Helldivers II because it's not my type of game but I pull up all games talked about. The PSN account requirement was already there from Day 1.
Not exactly. The requirement was there, but it was always able to be skipped. Now, people won’t be able to skip it, and other people who may live in a country without PSN may not be able to play it at all. That’s probably a tiny number of people, but if that’s the case, they should all be getting refunds.

Here's a review:

Yeah i'm not linking my account to PSN.
April 2011: Hackers Access Personal Data of 77 Million Sony PlayStation Network Users
May 2011: Personal Details on 25 Million Sony Online Entertainment Customers Stolen
June 2011: Sony Pictures Website Hacked, Exposing One Million Accounts
November 2014: Hackers Steal 100 Terabytes of Data from Sony Pictures
August 2017: Hacker Group Accesses Sony Social Media Accounts
September 2023: Sony Investigates Alleged Hack
October 2023: Sony Notifies Employees of Data Breach
Yeah, this is one reason I don’t keep my CC info in MOST online accounts (not just PSN/Sony). I’d rather go through the ‘hassle’ of retyping that info in when I need it.
Old 05-05-24, 12:57 PM

It makes sense that people are upset if they can't get a PSN account in their country. And I don't really see why Sony felt the need to enforce this after months.
But to cite a 2011 credit card breech, or the Sony Pictures data hack by North Korea in 2014 as reasons to be upset about Sony wanting you to set up a free PSN account (with no CC number required) is pretty silly and disingenuous if you ask me.
Old 05-05-24, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 259 Likes on 189 Posts

Oh yeah anyone who can't play now should get a refund. But from day one it said "PSN Required," it caught my eye, just wasn't enforced.
Old 05-05-24, 01:00 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Also, there’s shit like this.
Old 05-05-24, 01:13 PM

Yeah that's awful. I mean that seems like a steep ask even if your country wasn't invaded by Russia and under constant bombardment.
Old 05-05-24, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 2,110 Likes on 1,390 Posts

Dan (05-06-24)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.