Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Princess Peach: Showtime! (3/22/24: Nintendo Switch)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-23, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

Princess Peach must save the day as she takes the spotlight in her very own game

Princess Peach’s trip to the Sparkle Theater goes off script when the wicked Grape and the Sour Bunch steal the show! Partner with the theater’s guardian, Stella, to call curtains on this tragedy by using a powerful ribbon and taking on several starring roles—each with their own look and abilities.

Transform to fit the role and use showstopping abilities to save the day

Fend off the Sour Bunch with sensational swordplay as a swordfighter...en garde! In another role, Peach puts on her detective hat to find out whodunnit in a museum mystery. From kung fu master to pastry chef, Peach’s roles give you distinctly powerful ways to save the play!

What other transformations are just behind the curtain?

It will have been almost 20 years since the last Peach themed game Super Princess Peach on the DS. This game looks right up my alley. Love the abilities they've shown so far and can't wait to see what other abilities they haven't shown yet.
The following users liked this post:
Michael Corvin (09-16-23)
Old 09-14-23, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
Re: Princess Peach: Showtime! (3/22/24: Nintendo Switch)

This looks so great. One thing I love already is these costume changes aren't just powerups. They totally change the gameplay of the whole game. So it really seems like we'll be getting several genres of gameplay in this game. I love the theater background for the game as well. So creative. Well done Nintendo.
Old 09-16-23, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Can't wait. I loved the DS game.

Nintendo needs to amp up the female leads in their library. I'm still waiting on a Zelda game where Zelda is actually the protagonist. How about bringing back a Galaxy type game with Rosalina in the lead?
Old 01-28-24, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

New trailer up showing a couple more previously unannounced transformations.
Old 02-18-24, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like these are the final unannounced transformations. "The spotlight shines on Peach and more of her transformations, including Figure Skater Peach, Dashing Thief Peach, Mermaid Peach, and Mighty Peach!"
Adam Tyner (02-18-24)
Old 02-18-24, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

This looks like a game geared at the young. I wonder how much challenge there will be in it. I don’t need it to be really difficult, but hope it’s not TOO easy to complete.
Old 03-06-24, 08:07 PM

Demo up :
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
Adam Tyner (03-06-24), Sonny Corinthos (03-07-24)
Old 03-06-24, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

New Overview trailer before the release in a couple weeks. Looks like a ton of fun.
Adam Tyner (03-06-24)
Old 03-17-24, 01:17 PM

Did anyone else try the demo? You play as swordfighter and patisserie Peach. It's very cute and looks nice, but there's no challenge at all. The swordfighter is one button combat that's absurdly easy and the patisserie Peach is easy Cooking Mama minigames. I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet.
Old 03-17-24, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

I haven't tried the demo yet, but what you're saying is in line with the impressions I've seen elsewhere. I'm still keeping my preorder, though. I'm okay with cute and simple as long as it's fun.
steebo777 (03-20-24)
Old 03-22-24, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Picked my copy up today but probably won't play for another couple weeks until I'm done with FFVII Rebirth.
Old 03-23-24, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I was pleasantly surprised by a day one delivery from Best Buy, but I’m really close to the end of the World Tour mode in Street Fighter 6, so I want to finish that first. (I could wrap it up now if I really wanted to, but I want to max out the skill tree, so mindless grinding it is!)

This will definitely be the next game I play, though.
Old 03-26-24, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I think I'm at the halfway point after a few sessions; I've cleared the first three floors and finished three of the missions in the basement. I seem to be more okay with 7/10 games than a lot of folks, and, sure, that's what Princess Peach: Showtime! is. I love the streamlined mechanics and the greatly varied approaches to gameplay.

But hey, let's grouse and groan about a few annoyances! I could probably change this in settings somewhere, but the traditional jump and action buttons are inverted, which has caused some hiccups. Sometimes elements are a little obtuse. Like, the prompt will say to look for an opening when you're a swordfighter, which common sense would indicate means you'd then attack with your sword, but no, you're supposed to divine that it means to jump on their head (and then attack with your sword). In another boss fight, you fend off an enemy's attack by dodging once, and it's not obvious that in the third round, you're supposed to dodge 3 or 4 times consecutively. For a game with so many collectibles to find/earn, it's a drag that there's no way to restart a segment or select a specific segment after completion. The levels take longer to get through than most games like this, and some collectibles require completing time-consuming challenges with little margin for error, so I don't see myself trying to 100% this unless something's patched. There are some wild swings in difficulty too; mostly braindead easy, and then stuff like the timed Welcome to the Spooky Party bake-off took me several attempts.

I definitely still like it overall, but you can tell this wasn't a title developed internally at Nintendo. For a game that's only been out a few days, it's already $10 off at Woot.
Old 03-26-24, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

Edited to add Adam beat me to it: This on sale for $49.99 at Woot: https://electronics.woot.com/offers/...f=w_cnt_wp_0_1
Old 04-21-24, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I think I'm at the halfway point after a few sessions; I've cleared the first three floors and finished three of the missions in the basement. I seem to be more okay with 7/10 games than a lot of folks, and, sure, that's what Princess Peach: Showtime! is. I love the streamlined mechanics and the greatly varied approaches to gameplay.

But hey, let's grouse and groan about a few annoyances! I could probably change this in settings somewhere, but the traditional jump and action buttons are inverted, which has caused some hiccups. Sometimes elements are a little obtuse. Like, the prompt will say to look for an opening when you're a swordfighter, which common sense would indicate means you'd then attack with your sword, but no, you're supposed to divine that it means to jump on their head (and then attack with your sword). In another boss fight, you fend off an enemy's attack by dodging once, and it's not obvious that in the third round, you're supposed to dodge 3 or 4 times consecutively. For a game with so many collectibles to find/earn, it's a drag that there's no way to restart a segment or select a specific segment after completion. The levels take longer to get through than most games like this, and some collectibles require completing time-consuming challenges with little margin for error, so I don't see myself trying to 100% this unless something's patched. There are some wild swings in difficulty too; mostly braindead easy, and then stuff like the timed Welcome to the Spooky Party bake-off took me several attempts.

I definitely still like it overall, but you can tell this wasn't a title developed internally at Nintendo. For a game that's only been out a few days, it's already $10 off at Woot.
I just finished it also and I feel pretty similar to you. Also graphically pretty unimpressive even by Nintendo standards. This is barely Wii U level and a huge drop compared to Pikmin 4 and Super Mario Wonder. The loading screens I have to look away from they are so choppy. I enjoyed it but like you mentioned very unlikely that I will go back and collect everything.
Adam Tyner (04-21-24)