DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Scarlet Nexus --> 6/25/21 --> (all platforms, sans Switch) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/653158-scarlet-nexus-6-25-21-all-platforms-sans-switch.html)

OldBoy 06-09-21 08:18 PM

Scarlet Nexus --> 6/25/21 --> (all platforms, sans Switch)

Anyone know about this one? I could’ve sworn there was a thread here which is why I got interested after seeing trailer. I have it preordered. I think it has great style and reminds me of DmC in some ways. But, vastly different Ry than what I have and I like variety. Now, it’s not multi-player, right? You just play as different characters, I’m assuming, in different situations/levels or whatever….

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...fe2242da8.jpeg

OldBoy 06-10-21 02:52 PM

Re: Scarlet Nexus --> 6/25/21 --> (all platforms, sans Switch)

well, i just played and finished demo. wow. that was a lot of fun! it's like a Japanese anime come to life. with superpowers that you have, can borrow. i mean i really didn't know what i was doing per say or what was going on too much, but damn if it wasn't fun as hell.

Adam Tyner 06-10-21 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13943832)
I could’ve sworn there was a thread here

Not that I could find, but I did post a little about my experiences with the demo in the Xbox Series X thread.

OldBoy 06-10-21 05:53 PM

Yeah, I can see what your saying, but even though I didn’t know exactly what I was doing. I mean I borrowed powers hitting rb and all 4 Main buttons at once, but there has got to be a way to just pick one. I scroll through them all to get something like invisibility which I needed a lot for one particular creature. Still, I had a lot of fun, as you said looked so pretty and looking forward to the full game. I think I went all out in this one, I was so taken.

OldBoy 06-22-21 05:49 PM

This comes out Friday and I’m kinda excited. No reviews yet, but not sure I care. This will be my new game when in finish RE8 this weekend.

OldBoy 06-23-21 03:33 PM

Getting stoked. Starting to trickle in…

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...602689f8e1.png

dsa_shea 06-23-21 04:04 PM

Don't get too stoked!

RichC2 06-23-21 04:12 PM

People keep comparing it to Nier: Automata so I guess I'm in. :|

Koby 06-23-21 06:22 PM

Not even out yet and already discounted to $40 on CDKeys.

OldBoy 06-23-21 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13948969)
People keep comparing it to Nier: Automata so I guess I'm in. :|

you know I have both Nier’s but yet to play. I was just taken by the demo and the DmC like fighting with so much more depth obviously. And the colors and the powers, was so much fun, the demo. I know anime is from the Japanese culture, but why is this and other games of this type known as JRPG or Japanese Role-Playing Game? Why does it have to be denoted as such? Just curious. I will finish RE8 this weekend. Think I’m just about there. And, definitely start this one. Already using a neon wallpaper on phone of this.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...8486a1049.jpeg

Maxflier 06-24-21 08:36 AM

PS5/PS4 version is $50 at Target and WalMart I hear, for those interested in this game.

fujishig 06-24-21 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier (Post 13949208)
PS5/PS4 version is $50 at Target and WalMart I hear, for those interested in this game.

I don't know why but it seems like PS5 (and PS4) version is on sale at Target and Xbox One version is on sale at Walmart, but not both at the same store.

RichC2 06-24-21 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13949046)
you know I have both Nier’s but yet to play. I was just taken by the demo and the DmC like fighting with so much more depth obviously. And the colors and the powers, was so much fun, the demo. I know anime is from the Japanese culture, but why is this and other games of this type known as JRPG or Japanese Role-Playing Game? Why does it have to be denoted as such? Just curious. I will finish RE8 this weekend. Think I’m just about there. And, definitely start this one. Already using a neon wallpaper on phone of this.

RPGs in general focus on character and world building as well as having NPCs, items, level building and what not.

JRPGs feature all that but are traditionally more story driven linear role playing games (w/ optional side quests) that involve a group of people. They are traditionally menu/turn based though they've become more action-oriented in the last decade. Persona 5 is the current pinnacle of JRPGs.

By comparison, most western RPGs are more lone wolf-style and tend to be both open world and offer you more choices and flexibility in the storyline. (Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Ultima, World of Warcraft, etc; ) they are often less about the story and more about exploring the world.

There are obviously big exceptions to both, but that's the generalization for it. This looks like an action game with some JRPG elements mixed in.

Decker 06-24-21 09:42 AM

I got bored halfway through that trailer and kind of zoned out. Guess the game is not for me.

RichC2 06-24-21 09:49 AM

I actually agree with that, it's a dull trailer. Other gameplay vids looked fun to me though.

Adam Tyner 06-24-21 10:17 AM

It's already down to $49.99 at Target (PS4/PS5 only) and Walmart (Xbox only).

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13949233)
I got bored halfway through that trailer and kind of zoned out. Guess the game is not for me.

I didn't think much of the demo. I've seen some positive write-ups since, so...maybe one day. Bandai Namco titles tend to plummet in price quickly, so if I get an itch, it'll probably be cheap.

OldBoy 06-24-21 09:56 PM

Reviews are very good. Almost all 80’s or above. Sounds great to me.

OldBoy 06-25-21 07:17 AM

Most are saying game in the 20+ hour range. That’s nice.

The Questyen 06-25-21 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13949668)
Most are saying game in the 20+ hour range. That’s nice.

For one half of the story. You need to play as both characters to get the whole story so 40 hours.

Adam Tyner 06-25-21 11:39 AM

Amazon has , and .

OldBoy 06-25-21 04:59 PM

IGN seems to gush in their review, but only gets an 80. Odd with how much they seemed to love the 40 hr campaign, as Quest mentioned. Only flaws were some drab environments and lack of boss variety, I believe. But everything else sounded so great. I’m just starting up with tomorrow. RE8 will be shunned for a bit. I’ll try to play both, just finishing 8, but we’ll see. I just want to dig in and get my itch to play games again.

Still every review, while most 80’s, they all seemed to really liked it, but 80 to me means B-. That’s just average. I don’t care either way, but just puzzles when I read so many more positive thoughts than negative and don’t quite get the scoring on some. Some are even saying contender fir GoY.

The Questyen 06-26-21 12:28 PM

Played a couple hours so far and it's good. Still trying to figure out everything since they throw a lot of stuff at you.

OldBoy 06-26-21 03:47 PM

^ me too. i'm having a lot of fun in short time thus far. have to get past all the still image cut scenes though. those are little much in beginning, but the hub world is gorgeous and so colorful. i do read the tutorials and there are a lot, but they are super helpful if you can remember the sometimes simple, sometimes not combo. really enjoying!

OldBoy 06-26-21 06:21 PM

Having so much fun. These combat moves aren’t as complicated once you get used to them. Just kinda muscle memory it becomes. Better stick with it or I’ll lose it….

OldBoy 06-26-21 08:49 PM

Got that itch back…