DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Your fondest video game memory? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/652987-your-fondest-video-game-memory.html)

OldBoy 05-11-21 07:42 PM

Your fondest video game memory?

I’m not talking about favorite game. I’m talking about an experience, a marathon of a particular game for good, just a great memory of a game, a boss fight, an ending, etc.

Mine has to be playing 1988’s Bionic Commando on NES. I wish I could play that again. I remember there were no saves. So I had to play the whole game in one go. I remember playing. Farming for Max health. Getting to final stage and I had to go on some Boy Scout or whatever Scout thing for the weekend. I had to pause the game. I believe you can do that. Left the system on. Tv off. Note on tv. Don’t shut Nintendo off or something to keep it safe. I remember it was same weekend as one of my grandma’s funeral. I think my dad was mad at me for going on camping thing and not funeral. I dunno. All part of memory.

I came back, picked it up at same point and finished maybe hour later. Shooting at the exact right time to kill Hitler will always stick in my memory. Love the game to this day. I tried revamped BC, the scroller not 360 3D, which I have as well, but not the same. Maybe I’ll pick up again sometime. Also have part 2, but that 88 imo classic was just such a memorable gaming the side scroller not the same experience.

What’s your favorite video game memory?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...661cc13e1.jpeg

The Cow 05-11-21 07:58 PM

Re: Your fondest video game memory?

Beating Mike Tyson.

OldBoy 05-11-21 08:10 PM

^ like really or with a cheat code?

Toddarino 05-11-21 08:23 PM

I might change my answer, but for now it’s either doing the thing in the first Dead Rising where you had to stay alive for a few days of in game time which equated to something like 14 hours or something. That was really fun.
Or
I have a ton of memories of playing Goldeneye on n64 with three friends. We’d put two TVs back to back and tape cardboard over two of the screens. Sadly one of those friends has passed and whenever I watch that movie or think of that game it reminds me of that time.

tommyp007 05-11-21 08:28 PM

Going back to SuperNintendo days, I spent MONTHS trying to beat The Secret of Mana. There was some level that I could not figure out how to get past. I would even think about that damn game while at work. Finally figured out what I needed to do, moved on and stayed up the rest of the night to finish the game.

I felt like Tom Hanks making fire in Cast Away.

Deftones 05-11-21 08:39 PM

Saving up all my money and buying an SNES at an Escondido Toys R Us at launch in Sept 1991. Stayed up all night and beat Super Mario World. Then was pissed that I beat it in one night. :lol:

milo bloom 05-11-21 10:13 PM

When I saved up my money from my part time job to get the NES and we ended up at Service Merchandise to buy it. I’ll always remember standing at the waiting counter and seeing it coming down the chute on the conveyor belt.

Before that, we had to rent the system and games and one weekend we got it on Friday night and had it for three days. My brother and I went to school on Monday with calloused thumbs from playing it every waking moment that weekend.

Noonan 05-12-21 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13932374)
^ like really or with a cheat code?

There was no cheat code to beat him. Just the code to get to him (game didn't have a save feature) from the beginning.

0073735963....IIRC...which is also the user name of a member who used to post here.

Noonan 05-12-21 08:04 AM

I know there are others from my younger days that would qualify but the first thing to come to mind was when I stepped off the boat into the world of Morrowind. I wasn't familiar with "Western RPGs" prior other than the real old point and click games like Baulder's Gate. See the world and realizing I could go/do anything I wanted blew my mind. The first time I got to Balmora I remember telling myself I'd never remember where anything was. The freedom that game gave you completely changed how I viewed what games could be.

mhg83 05-12-21 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13932358)
I’m not talking about favorite game. I’m talking about an experience, a marathon of a particular game for good, just a great memory of a game, a boss fight, an ending, etc.

Mine has to be playing 1988’s Bionic Commando on NES. I wish I could play that again. I remember there were no saves. So I had to play the whole game in one go. I remember playing. Farming for Max health. Getting to final stage and I had to go on some Boy Scout or whatever Scout thing for the weekend. I had to pause the game. I believe you can do that. Left the system on. Tv off. Note on tv. Don’t shut Nintendo off or something to keep it safe. I remember it was same weekend as one of my grandma’s funeral. I think my dad was mad at me for going on camping thing and not funeral. I dunno. All part of memory.

I came back, picked it up at same point and finished maybe hour later. Shooting at the exact right time to kill Hitler will always stick in my memory. Love the game to this day. I tried revamped BC, the scroller not 360 3D, which I have as well, but not the same. Maybe I’ll pick up again sometime. Also have part 2, but that 88 imo classic was just such a memorable gaming the side scroller not the same experience.

What’s your favorite video game memory?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...661cc13e1.jpeg

I love BC. I was at a flea market years ago and someone was selling it Factory Sealed for $5. I snatched that up so quick . Last I checked one sold on ebay for $1500 :)

Eric F 05-12-21 10:53 AM

I loved Galaga. I sucked at it, but it was a lot of fun.

slop101 05-12-21 12:52 PM

While I vastly prefer the SNES and it's games, my fondest memories are for the early NES days - when I was in jr. high.

Randy Miller III 05-12-21 01:53 PM

Too many to list, but the first that comes to mind (besides for my excitement of getting a NES for my birthday in the late 80s) is my first playthrough of Chrono Trigger on the SNES. During the first trip back through time, my family had to go visit a few relatives as it was during the Christmas break season. I was so excited to get back home and play it some more that I almost couldn't sit still!

milo bloom 05-12-21 03:35 PM

Another "experience" memory is that of setting up my NES in our den where we had an extra computer monitor and tuner/speakers. I got some AV cords to send the video to the monitor for an extra crisp image and sent the audio through some huge old German speakers for some booming double mono sound.

Why So Blu? 05-12-21 03:43 PM

Yeah, I think I did the same thing with Bionic Commando. Left the system on, turned the TV on, and resumed the following day when I woke up. Beating Mike Tyson was anothe highlight.

OldBoy 05-12-21 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 13932592)
I love BC. I was at a flea market years ago and someone was selling it Factory Sealed for $5. I snatched that up so quick . Last I checked one sold on ebay for $1500 :)

fuck that's amazing. the hell with selling, i would play in instant if NES. you have working one?

OldBoy 05-12-21 06:07 PM

i got to MT, traditionally, never did beat him. then used the code...still never beat him. and i think i did read how to beat, but i wasn't dexterous enough.

Obi-Wanma 05-12-21 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13932840)
fuck that's amazing. the hell with selling, i would play in instant if NES. you have working one?

Or you could sell it for the $1500 and buy 100 opened ones.

OldBoy 05-12-21 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 13932857)
Or you could sell it for the $1500 and buy 100 opened ones.

plus an NES while i'm at it. and the cables needed to convert or whatever, even if i can do that with my tv. no more holes.

slop101 05-12-21 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13932864)
plus an NES while i'm at it. and the cables needed to convert or whatever, even if i can do that with my tv. no more holes.

Or you could buy and NES-mini, which has HIMD/USB, easily mod it and put every NES game ever made on it.

OldBoy 05-12-21 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 13932874)
Or you could buy and NES-mini, which has HIMD/USB, easily mod it and put every NES game ever made on it.

nah, it’s ok. Thx. I have the memories. That’s enough for me. If it was handed to me, of course, I wouldn’t say no, but not going out of my way or depend extra money on something I would probably not even these days bc no saves. That game took me long time.

Goldberg74 05-12-21 08:21 PM

Finishing Breakthru with a single quarter when I was a teenager.

Michael Corvin 05-13-21 12:05 AM

Finished Ninja Gaiden II with a single life the first time I played the game. It's super memorable because it was me, my brother and our closest friend. We rented it. I don't recall who went first but I remember when it was my turn them being like "come on man, I want a turn" until I got so far then they were rooting me on. And oddly enough I still have never finished the first game.

Funny enough, I was reminiscing about Joust earlier with my kids. I remember playing one Saturday morning for hours on my Atari 400. I managed to flip the game. 255 levels and I recall it flipping back to 1 and I continued to play for another 30 levels or so before just calling it quits as I was tying up the family tv and there was no end in sight. Now I just googled it and I saw someone say the game doesn't flip and just keeps regenerating at the highest level. I know it's been a long time since that Saturday morning but I distinctly remember it flipping. So I wonder if different versions of the game handled it differently?

Lastly another pretty memorable moment (not involving me directly): my brother and his friends were big into wrestling and WCW and played all those games. One of said friends was a Hogan super-fan and wouldn't play as anyone else. Lots of trash talking (hitting both his gaming suckage and Hogan being a shit character both in game and IRL) ensued and after losing with Hogan to nearly everyone in the room(he beat me, I sucked at those games), dude had enough and launched the N64 controller at the wall and shattered it. He was done for the night. lol It was another friend always using Saladin that put him over the top as he claimed he was a cheat character and too easy to win with. So then it was "well then, play with Saladin." "No, I want to be Hogan." lol

Rob V 05-13-21 11:58 AM

Finish Final Fantasy VII and the ending scene

milo bloom 05-13-21 12:41 PM

Oh, so the shoe store chain, Shoe Carnival? When they first opened, they had an actual carnival atmosphere. They would have games out front and a barker doing giveaways. And inside they would have arcade games, including The Simpsons Arcade (one of the greatest arcade games ever, if I may say so myself). Normally, getting kids excited about going shoe shopping was quite a chore, but when we knew we would be able to play Simpsons, my brother and I didn't have quite such a problem.

I really wish that would get a good home port.