DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   WWE 2K Battlegrounds (Fall 2020) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/650377-wwe-2k-battlegrounds-fall-2020-a.html)

Red Hood 04-27-20 10:12 AM

WWE 2K Battlegrounds (Fall 2020)

No new WWE 2K this year as mentioned on the stockholders meeting so 2K is doing this instead, which looks like a sequel to WWE All-Stars

fujishig 04-27-20 10:19 AM

Re: WWE 2K Battlegrounds (Fall 2020)

Wait is it all in that cartoony big head style (who thought that was great?) or is that some kind of skin, because the opening with the Rock has a completely different body type.

Mike86 04-27-20 11:54 AM

If it’s a more arcade style game I might be down, but yeah if it’s all big heads and overly cartoonish looks to the wrestlers I’ll pass.

Sonny Corinthos 04-27-20 02:56 PM

Why do the women look like little people and the men look normal?

Ringmaster 04-27-20 03:25 PM

I would of been happier if they took the All Stars engine and updated that with All Stars 2.

If the gameplay here is fun, then maybe it will be worth picking up

Mike86 04-27-20 03:35 PM

For my taste All Stars was too over the top. Even though I like the arcade style games. Just not a fan of the way overly exaggerated physiques mainly is my beef with it.

My dream wrestling game would still be an updated Legends type game. Legends of WrestleMania from back in the day was a bit of a disappointment, but I think that kind of a game would be something fun to update. Especially for a more arcade style game.

nickdawgy 04-29-20 07:44 PM

That looks terrible.

Rob V 04-30-20 10:59 AM

I wouldn't pay more than $10 for this (maybe not even that) but it's more appealing to me than WWE 2K.

Red Hood 07-08-20 12:41 PM

This is basically an arcade type game, so it is what it is. What I can tell you for sure is that if WWE made toys based on this game, with mini-rings and props, they will most likely be a hit with kids.

Noonan 07-08-20 12:43 PM

Looks fun. WWE Jam, basically.

fujishig 07-08-20 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13769194)
This is basically an arcade type game, so it is what it is. What I can tell you for sure is that if WWE made toys based on this game, with mini-rings and props, they will most likely be a hit with kids.

https://youtu.be/eh5BZR-Y6cA

It does remind me of the original LJN stylized action figures:

https://www.cardboardconnection.com/...hecklist-guide

Red Hood 07-08-20 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13769201)
It does remind me of the original LJN stylized action figures:

https://www.cardboardconnection.com/...hecklist-guide

They actually remind me of these mystery funko POP figures. I still got like 50 of those LJN figures though. They were fun back in the day.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...b57ca7224c.jpg

New Lurker 07-08-20 05:34 PM

If this is anything like All-Stars I'm in. All-Stars had cartoony graphics and over the top finishers, but it was the closest engine to the AKI N64 games. I had wayyyyy more fun with All-Stars than any of the Smackdown / 2K games. I get some people like the tedium of creating your own stories and ppvs and whatever, but for me, the fun is in the game play. And everything since N64 has been unfun trash (except All-Stars).

I liken it to having more fun playing Mortal Kombat vs a realistic simulation of a boring karate tournament. But that's just one man's opinion.

fujishig 07-08-20 05:47 PM

The more realistic you get, the harder it is to really pull off the moves with graphics, I think. That's where the big change was between the N64 heyday and successive generations. Even something like Firepro can be a ton of fun but you have to be able to look past the graphics.

Red Hood 07-08-20 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13769395)
The more realistic you get, the harder it is to really pull off the moves with graphics, I think. That's where the big change was between the N64 heyday and successive generations. Even something like Firepro can be a ton of fun but you have to be able to look past the graphics.

I've seen mods using the No Mercy engine, like in the video below, that have been made by amateurs and they improved graphics a bit. It's 2020. I'm pretty sure that any true video game company will have the capability to use the engines of No Mercy and Virtual Pro Wrestling 2, merge and improve them to have a great version of those wrestling games. I've heard that AEW is working with AKI to do a game like that for their promotion, which would be pretty cool and a great way for people to get to know their brand if they are successful. The great thing that all these AKI wrestling games had going for them on the N64 was that they were easy to learn and play. By this I mean that people could grab a controller and in 5 minutes know the basics and have fun. Those AKI games were a hit because it attracted people who usually don't buy wrestling games but played this because it was fun. I would love to see a modern version of this with WWE, specially with the ridiculous loaded roster they have. Virtual Pro Wrestling was able to have 99 wrestlers, so it would be easily possible for a good video game company to have everyone from RAW, Smackdown, NXT, NXT UK, 205, Legends and more in an AKI engine wrestling game.

Rob V 07-09-20 08:49 AM

I would love an updated version of Wrestelfest... this might be the closest we get.

beavis69 07-12-20 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13769683)
I would love an updated version of Wrestelfest... this might be the closest we get.

There's one coming. It was considered a spiritual sequel, but the original creators of Wretlefest have now ok'd it to be called the official sequel. Its called Retromania Wrestling. It was supposed to come out in July but they pushed it to fall I think to polish it some more. The videos on Instagram look good, but I really like the ability to control when I grapple like the THQ games. I might still pick it up.

Sonny Corinthos 08-13-20 03:30 PM

I will wait on reviews before buying, but it looks like a lot of fun.

Red Hood 08-16-20 01:39 PM

Pretty big roster for this game, including some wrestlers that have been released by WWE

COMPLETE WWE 2K BATTLEGROUNDS VIDEO GAME ROSTER REVEALED

By [email protected] on 2020-08-16 12:25:00IGN.com revealed the official roster of WWE personalities who will be included in the forthcoming WWE 2K Battlegrounds video game:

Available when the game Launches:

• AJ Styles
  • Akira Tozawa
  • Aleister Black
  • Alexa Bliss
  • Alicia Fox
  • Andre The Giant
  • Apollo
  • Asuka
  • Baron Corbin
  • Bayley
  • Becky Lynch
  • Beth Phoenix
  • Big E
  • Big Show
  • Bobby Lashley
  • Bobby Roode
  • Braun Strowman
  • Bray Wyatt
  • Brie Bella
  • Brock Lesnar
  • Carmella
  • Cesaro
  • Charlotte Flair
  • Daniel Bryan
  • Dolph Ziggler
  • Drew McIntyre
  • Edge (Pre-order bonus)
  • Elias
  • Ember Moon
  • Finn Bálor
  • Hulk Hogan
  • Jake "The Snake" Roberts
  • Jeff Hardy
  • John Cena
  • Kalisto
  • Karl Anderson
  • Kevin Owens
  • Kofi Kingston
  • Lince Dorado
  • Liv Morgan
  • Luke Gallows
  • Mandy Rose
  • Mankind
  • Mickie James
  • Naomi
  • Natalya
  • Nia Jax
  • Nikki Bella
  • Nikki Cross
  • Randy Orton
  • Rey Mysterio
  • Ricochet
  • Roman Reigns
  • Ronda Rousey
  • Rowan
  • R-Truth
  • Samoa Joe
  • Sasha Banks
  • Seth Rollins
  • Sgt. Slaughter
  • Shawn Michaels
  • Shinsuke Nakamura
  • Stephanie McMahon
  • Stone Cold Steve Austin
  • The Miz
  • The Rock
  • Triple H
  • Undertaker
  • Xavier Woods
  • Yokozuna

Scheduled to Be Added Post-Launch (subject to change) -

• Akam
  • Ali
  • Alundra Blayze
  • Andrade
  • Angelo Dawkins
  • Batista
  • Big Boss Man
  • Billie Kay
  • Bo Dallas
  • Booker T
  • Bret “Hit Man” Hart
  • British Bulldog
  • Buddy Murphy
  • Cactus Jack
  • Chad Gable
  • Christian
  • Chyna
  • Curtis Axel
  • Dana Brooke
  • Doink The Clown
  • Earthquake
  • Eddie Guerrero
  • Fandango
  • Goldberg
  • Gran Metalik
  • Jey Uso
  • Jim Neidhart
  • Jimmy Uso
  • Kane
  • Kevin Nash
  • Lana
  • Lita
  • “Macho Man” Randy Savage
  • Mark Henry
  • Maryse
  • Mojo Rawley
  • Montez Ford
  • Mr. McMahon
  • Mr. Perfect
  • Otis
  • Paige
  • Peyton Royce
  • Rezar
  • Rhea Ripley
  • Ric Flair
  • Ricky Steamboat
  • “Rowdy” Roddy Piper
  • Ruby Riott
  • Sami Zayn
  • Scott Hall
  • Shane McMahon
  • Sheamus
  • Sonya Deville
  • Sting
  • Tamina
  • The Boogeyman
  • The Brian Kendrick
  • Trish Stratus
  • Tucker
  • Tyler Breeze
  • Typhoon
  • Ultimate Warrior
  • Vader

fujishig 08-16-20 06:24 PM

It's probably a lot easier to do cartoony licenses. I do wonder how many moves each character will have and what the fighting system is like.

Sonny Corinthos 08-17-20 06:09 AM

So will the post launch wrestlers be DLC? With this coming from 2K, I would bet you have to buy them.

Music 08-17-20 09:05 AM

I don't see anything about a season pass which is normally how they do it...

Rob V 09-21-20 12:50 PM

This came out today... anybody pick it up? I'd be interested to know your impressions.

beavis69 09-22-20 02:33 AM

I too would be interested in reviews. Some of the video reviews I've seen say the multiplayer is fun, but the amount of character moves are limited. Basically the moves are all the same for a given weight class (with few exceptions like John Cena having 2 extra moves). I heard its buggy as hell on PC, not sure about the consoles.

fujishig 10-22-20 02:52 PM

So I guess nobody played this?

It's on sale on the switch eshop but reviews have been... middling at best.