Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-20, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 286 Likes on 209 Posts
Re: Animal Crossing: New Horizons (3/20/20: Switch)

Glad to see some QOL improvements like fruit auto stacking in your inventory and bells going straight into your account when you pick them up off the ground rather than going into your inventory.
Old 03-21-20, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,683 Posts

Can't get local play to work on two switches with one digital copy. Guess I'll try online tomorrow.
Old 03-21-20, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

I played off and on yesterday, and managed to get enough miles to pay my debt, and earn some bells selling fish, butterflies, and shells. I'm honestly kind of at a loss as to what to do next.

Old 03-21-20, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 638 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
I played off and on yesterday, and managed to get enough miles to pay my debt, and earn some bells selling fish, butterflies, and shells. I'm honestly kind of at a loss as to what to do next.
Early things you should be doing:
Give 1 of all the butterflies & Fish you are catching to Tom Nook. Once you given him a certain amount he will tell you Blathers will be setting up a museum on the island and you pick a spot for it. The museum will end up being one of your main focuses in Animal Crossing. You will donate each unique creature/fossil you find to it.
If you paid off your debt I assume you talked to Tom Nook about upgrading your house. If not do that and he will give you a new loan and you should have a new house built this morning.
Old 03-21-20, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Give 1 of all the butterflies & Fish you are catching to Tom Nook. Once you given him a certain amount he will tell you Blathers will be setting up a museum on the island and you pick a spot for it. The museum will end up being one of your main focuses in Animal Crossing. You will donate each unique creature/fossil you find to it.
If you paid off your debt I assume you talked to Tom Nook about upgrading your house. If not do that and he will give you a new loan and you should have a new house built this morning.
Thanks for the info! I actually talked to Tom Nook last night just before calling it a day, and he mentioned giving him the fish and butterflies. Of course, I did this after catching and selling probably 20 of each beforehand. But I talked to him again this morning and brought him some specimens, and we are well on our way to a museum. And I also talked to him about the house, which should be ready tomorrow. I am now rotten with things to do!
Old 03-21-20, 06:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,277 Likes on 910 Posts

I'm hooked, although I wish I had read some of the first day tips in advance, I feel like I'll catch up. There's no rush, since I get that this game is all about the long haul.
I ate the apples Mom gave me instead of planting them, because I still don't have a shovel.
​​​​​The museum and my house won't show up until tomorrow at earliest, and there doesn't seem like there's a ton I can do with my limited resources just yet.
Still, I'm having lots of fun with it, despite my terrible strategy.
Old 03-21-20, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 331 Posts

I timed traveled a couple hours ahead to get another axe but other than that I’m going with the flow lol.

Great game.
Old 03-21-20, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I timed traveled a couple hours ahead to get another axe but other than that I’m going with the flow lol.

Great game.
If you're on your second day there is zero reason for you to do that. There are enough supplies available for you to build tools 20x over. I already have non-flimsy versions of every tool made and before that I went through at least 5 of each flimsy version and there are still tons of materials available for me to get.
Old 03-21-20, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you're on your second day there is zero reason for you to do that. There are enough supplies available for you to build tools 20x over. I already have non-flimsy versions of every tool made and before that I went through at least 5 of each flimsy version and there are still tons of materials available for me to get.
i didnt. I was missing wood branches.

Obviosuly once hou get Blathers and you get the pole you can accesthe rest of the island but unless I'm missing something, I had to wait for more branches.
Old 03-21-20, 09:58 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

The resource I'm having the hardest time with is Iron Nuggets. I have come across only two; one on my island and one on an island I visited by buying a ticket. Apparently you need 30+ to help the museum guy (once he shows up... I didn't place his spot until after midnight, so he won't show up until tomorrow). Am I missing something?
​​​​​​
Old 03-21-20, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,353 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Am I missing something?
​​​​​​
You can get ‘em by whacking rocks with a shovel. (The gray rocks in the body of your island; not the huge, dark ones on the shores.) Iron nuggets will be in the mix alongside stones, clay, and bells. You won’t always get one with each attempt, but sometimes you’ll get three from a single rock.

Since there’s some recoil when you strike, it can be handy to dig a hole or two behind you as a brace. That way, you can get in a few licks really quickly. If you’re not fast enough, you won’t get as many goodies.
Old 03-21-20, 10:28 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks Adam. When I broke those rocks, I mostly got stones and bells. Also some clay. But only those two Iron Nuggets overall. When the stones respawn, hopefully I'll have better luck. I'm also close to getting the improved tools, vaulting stick, etc, so that should definitely make resources a bit more plentiful.
Old 03-21-20, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,928 Likes on 4,717 Posts

Tom won’t take any of my stuff. I have even upgraded my tent to a house. What am I doing wrong?
Old 03-21-20, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
i didnt. I was missing wood branches.

Obviosuly once hou get Blathers and you get the pole you can accesthe rest of the island but unless I'm missing something, I had to wait for more branches.
You can shake trees and get branches way more than you probably think you can. I've gotten 20+ from each tree in a day. Sometimes it'll be nothing for a bunch of shakes and then branches will start falling again.
Old 03-21-20, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Tom won’t take any of my stuff. I have even upgraded my tent to a house. What am I doing wrong?
You only have like 3 choices of things to say to Tom Nook one is something like "show him a creature" and then once you've shown him 5 which he'll give to Blathers he'll give you a spot to set up a museum. From then on you will be giving your bugs/fish/fossils to Blathers instead.

Also on the second day when the airport is opened up you can go take a tour of another island and get even more stuff there. I have 24 iron nuggets in my inventory even after I used like 8 of them for DIY stuff. Like Adam said with the rocks you want to dig a hole or two behind you so you don't get knocked back while you're swinging your axe. You also want to keep swinging as fast as possible I was regularly getting 8-9 items out of each rock.
Old 03-21-20, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dan
The resource I'm having the hardest time with is Iron Nuggets. I have come across only two; one on my island and one on an island I visited by buying a ticket. Apparently you need 30+ to help the museum guy (once he shows up... I didn't place his spot until after midnight, so he won't show up until tomorrow). Am I missing something?
​​​​​​
The 30 iron nuggets is along with 30 wood, 30 softwood, 30 hardwood what is used to open up a new Nook shop. You don't need anything to help the museum guy. Once you place his tent the next day you are able to donate another 10 or so creatures to him and then you have to wait on the actual museum to be built.
Old 03-21-20, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan
​​​​​​
You do t have Blathers so you don't have a shovel yet but once you do hit rocks with it. But use them to upgrade your tools first (it's a nook Miles perk at the ATM looking machine)
Old 03-21-20, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 245 Likes on 211 Posts

Old 03-21-20, 11:26 PM

You only have like 3 choices of things to say to Tom Nook one is something like "show him a creature" and then once you've shown him 5 which he'll give to Blathers he'll give you a spot to set up a museum. From then on you will be giving your bugs/fish/fossils to Blathers instead.

Also on the second day when the airport is opened up you can go take a tour of another island and get even more stuff there. I have 24 iron nuggets in my inventory even after I used like 8 of them for DIY stuff. Like Adam said with the rocks you want to dig a hole or two behind you so you don't get knocked back while you're swinging your axe. You also want to keep swinging as fast as possible I was regularly getting 8-9 items out of each rock.
My choices are “What can I do today?”, “About my house” or “Everything is good”. No other option offered.
Old 03-21-20, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My choices are “What can I do today?”, “About my house” or “Everything is good”. No other option offered.
Do you have a bug/fish in your inventory?
Old 03-21-20, 11:42 PM

Do you have a bug/fish in your inventory?
yes

I should mention that my daughter started the game first and named the island. Don’t think that should hinder my progress though.

Edit : That looks to be the problem
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/switch...ialogue-option

Last edited by Decker; 03-21-20 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-22-20, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

yes

I should mention that my daughter started the game first and named the island. Don’t think that should hinder my progress though.

Edit : That looks to be the problem
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/switch...ialogue-option
Yeah, the first player gets free run of the place (for the storyline), basically, and the others just follow along. It's really a baffling decision by Nintendo, though I am very glad I have my own switch.
Old 03-22-20, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan
Thanks Adam. When I broke those rocks, I mostly got stones and bells. Also some clay. But only those two Iron Nuggets overall. When the stones respawn, hopefully I'll have better luck. I'm also close to getting the improved tools, vaulting stick, etc, so that should definitely make resources a bit more plentiful.
Are you using an axe (or eating a fruit then hitting the rocks)? You don't need to break the rocks. You just need to hit them, if you're fast enough you can hit them like 7 or 8 times, once a day. Of course if you have someone else playing on the island if they get there first, too bad.
Old 03-22-20, 09:42 AM

Yeah, the first player gets free run of the place (for the storyline), basically, and the others just follow along. It's really a baffling decision by Nintendo, though I am very glad I have my own switch.
That is a terrible decision. I will have to delete the game save, start everything all over again and “time travel today.
Old 03-22-20, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't find it baffling. Otherwise anyone who visited an island could progress the story without the main player knowing. There is not really any other way for that to work. I find it baffling that you have to have a separate Switch to create another island.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.