DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/648394-xbox-game-pass-game-pass-ultimate.html)

fujishig 11-22-22 04:17 PM

Re: Xbox Game Pass/Game Pass Ultimate

Makes sense, because the deal can go away any day so if you think that'll happen before your end date, buy some extensions while their cheap. I renewed earlier this year and I was actually kind of afraid they would get rid of it before I could reup.

OldBoy 11-22-22 06:02 PM

I’m sorry, but how does this deal work?

Decker 11-22-22 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 14195243)
I’m sorry, but how does this deal work?

It's all explained in the XSX thread. Doesn't need a double post.
Basically it's only valid if you do not currently have an active GCU subscription.

OldBoy 11-22-22 06:40 PM

Yup. Was just gonna delete my post. Thanks again.

mhg83 12-11-22 09:35 PM

Anyone else excited for High On Life? Love Rick And Morty and wacky talking weapons reminds me of Ratchet And Clank.

But not a good sign that no reviews have been posted yet...

Decker 12-11-22 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 14204471)

But not a good sign that no reviews have been posted yet...

Not necessarily. I will for sure check it out. Could be fun.

mhg83 12-12-22 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 14204478)
Not necessarily. I will for sure check it out. Could be fun.

Yeah reviews just dropped. Middle of the ground reviews and if your a fan of Rick And Morty you'll like it.

Deftones 12-12-22 12:57 PM

I read an extended preview that said if you like R&M, you will love it. It might be annoying if that humor is not your bag. It is free and I am R&M fan, so I am all in on this.

nickdawgy 12-12-22 05:10 PM

That’s what I was thinking. It’s free. If it sucks, whatever. A few achievements and I uninstall.

mhg83 12-13-22 08:34 PM

I played a few hours and have been having a blast laughing my ass off.

Slight spoiler for first boss

Spoiler:
When I killed 9 torg and her good clone 5 torg showed up I started shooting her and it started a boss fight. I felt bad cause she was just hanging up there helpless as im pumping her full of laser bullets :lol:

I also killed that annoying 'kid' shouting "FRESH MEAT!" Gun Mortys lines in that section :lol:

[/spoiler]

Deftones 12-13-22 09:23 PM

I played like the first hour or so. The introduction to the game is fucking brilliant and hilarious. Once the actual game got rolling I started to get motion sickness. Hopefully this was a one off and I can continue because the game is funny so far.

Dan 12-14-22 09:42 AM

I don't watch Rick & Morty, but I installed this High on Life game to see how it was. The fact that it starts with
Spoiler:
You, a teen, playing video games only to be interrupted by your big sister who wants you to do a line of coke with her because your parents are out of the house for a week

is hilarious.
And after the first real mission in the game, you come back to
Spoiler:
an alien watching the entirety of Tammy and the T-Rex in your living room, and you can just sit there and watch it too.

:lol:

Good to know I can't play this game anywhere near my kid, but I'm enjoying it. Apparently the day-one patch fixed a ton of issues with frame rate stuttering, so it does run pretty smoothly for me.

OldBoy 12-14-22 07:23 PM

Never saw Rick & Morty, but saw a game review and it just looks wild. I’m in.

Spiderbite 12-19-22 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 14205557)
I played like the first hour or so. The introduction to the game is fucking brilliant and hilarious.

I played the first hour last night. I hardly veer away from Pinball or Rock Band nowadays (yes...I have become that sterile and boring in my gaming life) but my son (he's in college) started playing it the other day and recommended it to me just on the basis of saying it is a "strange and funny game by the Rick & Morty guy."

That had me interested and I went in cold. I totally thought the damn game was (minor spoiler)
Spoiler:
the 8-bit game you start by playing and was totally surprised when the real game started. haha I seriously expected it to be some cheap ass "new" 8-bit game type that you see on Game Pass so often. The divorce attorney was fucking hilarious. I could have played that whole game and been happy. And such an awesome, undercover way to teach you the beginning controls of the regular game.

If you like Rick & Morty, then you will definitely like this game. The main guy behind them has such a crazy imagination and wicked sense of humor.

My son has already warned me that the second level is pretty crass (that is the way he put it, and it appears it has something to do with feces). He said he was grossed out by it which made me even happier. :lol:

tonyc3742 12-19-22 10:55 AM

I'm on the second bounty and enjoying the game more than I thought I would.
I didn't like R&M based on the one episode I watched, and I can definitely see myself turning down the speech of the gun, but so far the game is fun, funny, and crude.
There's lots of inside or subtle jokes that are great to discover.
My only thing is the ubiquity of the F word. It seems to cross from effective/funny to gratuitous. But that's a small complaint.

I did not
Spoiler:
kill Fresh Meat boy, but my son did. He also shot at 5 Torg, but didn't quite kill her.

OldBoy 12-19-22 05:39 PM

I dl’d this and actually look forward to playing. As I said, never saw an ep, but the style and FPS look so good.

RichC2 01-04-23 10:36 AM

It seems like they've worked some kinks out of their Cloud gaming platform. It's been a couple years since I've messed with it but it's pretty impressive now.

lwhy? 01-04-23 08:39 PM

Is PC Game Pass the same as Xbox Game Pass? Can you play PC versions of Xbox games with it? I have three months free and I might keep it if I like it and can find a good deal. I don't have an Xbox. So being able to play Xbox games on my PC would be beneficial to me.

RichC2 01-04-23 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy? (Post 14215136)
Is PC Game Pass the same as Xbox Game Pass? Can you play PC versions of Xbox games with it? I have three months free and I might keep it if I like it and can find a good deal. I don't have an Xbox. So being able to play Xbox games on my PC would be beneficial to me.

PC Game Pass is separate from Xbox Game Pass but you have both if you have Game Pass Ultimate. Basically PC Game Pass has all the games that have PC versions -- Titles on there right now include High on Life, Doom Eternal, Mortal Shell, A Plague Tale Requiem, Halo Infinite, Halo Master Chief Collection, Forza Horizon 4, Forza Horizon 5, Gears of War 1 - 5, etc; there are about 448 titles available for the PC version and 461 titles for Consoles. (The PC Version has its own exclusives as well such as the Age of Empires games that didn't make it to console.)

If you have Ultimate - for some games without a PC Version, you can generally play them via Xbox Cloud Gaming which is a game streaming service and works phenomenally well. An example of this would be the Banjo Kazooie games, which are 360 titles but you can stream to your PC and play them if you're so inclined. I played Forza Horizon 5 via Cloud Streaming earlier, switched it to 60 fps mode and was pretty happy with the results. This can be accessed from any web browser and while it's only officially compatible with the Xbox game pad (via web browser at least, there may be additional support in the app), it seems to work fine with PS4 controllers.

If you have no subscriptions currently running on your Microsoft/Xbox account, you can get a 12-month - 36-month Xbox Live Gold subscription and upgrade it to Game Pass Ultimate for $1.

PC Titles: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass/games#pcgames
Cloud Streaming Titles: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/play/gallery/all-games

lwhy? 01-04-23 09:20 PM

So I have 3 months of Ultimate free. So, I can let that run out and get Gold and update it to ultimate for $1?

Decker 01-04-23 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by lwhy? (Post 14215158)
So I have 3 months of Ultimate free. So, I can let that run out and get Gold and update it to ultimate for $1?

Probably, yes. For up to three years.

Dan 01-04-23 09:22 PM

Yep!

lwhy? 01-04-23 09:31 PM

Great. I’m going to try it out and see if I like it first. I’ve always heard good things. Do you all have any preference on what Xbox controller I should pick up? I’m using a PS4 controller currently and it’s throwing me off a little since Xbox uses different button symbols than PlayStation.

RichC2 01-04-23 09:34 PM

The basic one is fine, the modern ones have multiple radios including Bluetooth. You can also buy the PC version with the USB dongle which supports more simultaneous controllers and is useful if your PC doesn't have Bluetooth (it probably does). I've heard the dongle is more responsive but :shrug: . Both models can be turned into a USB controller.

W/ dongle: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/microso...?skuId=6436823

Without: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/microso...?skuId=6430655

(They occasionally go on sale for $39)

lwhy? 01-07-23 11:05 AM

I'm not sure if I should be posting this in PC gaming or this thread, but I claimed my three free months of Ultimate today and I'm found a bunch of smaller indie games that I've been wanting to play. I'm downloading Let's Build a Zoo, PowerWash Simulator, Two Point Campus, Unpacking and Nobody Saves the World (I know it's leaving soon, but I want to try it out). I'm very happy so far and I might have to be a regular subscriber.