DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Lego Star Wars The Skywalker Saga (PS, Xbox, Switch, PC - Spring 2022) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/648341-lego-star-wars-skywalker-saga-ps-xbox-switch-pc-spring-2022-a.html)

Decker 03-31-22 11:44 AM

Re: Lego Star Wars The Skywalker Saga (PS, Xbox, Switch, PC - Spring 2022)

It's available on all three platforms for the Deluxe Edition. I wouldn't go with the Switch because I bet it has performance issues the other consoles don't have.
I know people all the time talk about how they want the Switch version because it's portable. But how many games are you going to play away from home? I would get a better looking, better performing version any day of the week. There are plenty of Switch exclusive games to play when I travel.

LorenzoL 03-31-22 11:47 AM

I missed out on the Best Buy Steelbook as is sold out so I'm going with the Deluxe Digital version for the PS4/PS5. It helps that Costco Canada is selling the PSN $100 card for $90.

Decker 03-31-22 11:59 AM

US Costco has same deal (in store). I stocked up like $400 worth. Already bought Tiny Tina Deluxe Edition with one of those cards.

LorenzoL 03-31-22 12:05 PM

Yeah, is in store here too. The wife is not very happy since I have been splurging on those cards just like you. With this upcoming purchase, I have spent $300 so far...

Mike86 03-31-22 12:06 PM

I don’t think this is the type of game where it should matter too much playing it on a more powerful system. Maybe I’m wrong though. I’m probably getting it on Switch if I decide to buy it.

Decker 03-31-22 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 14082922)
I don’t think this is the type of game where it should matter too much playing it on a more powerful system. Maybe I’m wrong though. I’m probably getting it on Switch if I decide to buy it.

Well, this is an entirely new game and may be different, but pretty much every previous Lego game had performance issues on the Switch and got significantly lower scores for the Switch version.

The Cow 03-31-22 12:24 PM

Hmm, I've played about half on Switch and half on PS4 and I never noticed anything regarding performance issues. And the only one I had significant issue with was some freezes on the PS4 version of the Ninjago game.

I've had this pre-ordered on Switch for a long time (before I got a PS5 even), and I'm sticking with the Switch version here too for the portability. This is one that will get played on different Switches and different TVs/projector around the house.

OldBoy 04-04-22 08:33 AM

has anyone found any reviews for this yet? i looked, but to no avail. maybe embargo lifts later today? cutting it close, no? hope it doesn't mean anything...

Decker 04-04-22 10:33 AM

Here come the reviews and they're very positive
https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox...er-saga?ref=hp

And apparently it runs well on the Switch as well.

LorenzoL 04-04-22 03:33 PM

First time I preordered a game through the PSN store. The game is downloaded already and I guess it will unlock at midnight tomorrow as a countdown is on.

OldBoy 04-04-22 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL (Post 14085025)
First time I preordered a game through the PSN store. The game is downloaded already and I guess it will unlock at midnight tomorrow as a countdown is on.

you don't get a lot of digital games? i can't remember the last physical copy i got. oh yes i do, Dark Souls 3. not too long ago. other than that all digital all the time. why deal with physical media anymore? i have 4 storage devices hooked up to it so i don't have to remotely worry about running out of space.

OldBoy 04-04-22 04:59 PM

i read online this was supposed to be 38 GB, but i have it at just over 49. no biggie just thought why big discrepancy.

OldBoy 04-04-22 05:08 PM

which is highest rated Lego game to date? a Harry Potter one?

The Cow 04-04-22 05:19 PM

I've played most of them. My favorite was probably Lego Marvel Superheroes, assuming Lego Dimensions doesn't count here. I found Harry Potter to be rather boring.

LorenzoL 04-05-22 08:34 AM

Really early first impression: I only played a few minutes but graphically, this is the most gorgeous Lego game so far. To switch characters is now L1 instead of the Triangle on PS5. The use of L2 and R2 to aim and shoot is a welcome addition. You need to play the first film of each of the Trilogy to open up the other chapters.

I didn’t go to work today so I’ll be playing more later.

LorenzoL 04-05-22 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 14085079)
you don't get a lot of digital games? i can't remember the last physical copy i got. oh yes i do, Dark Souls 3. not too long ago. other than that all digital all the time. why deal with physical media anymore? i have 4 storage devices hooked up to it so i don't have to remotely worry about running out of space.

I buy games digitally but haven’t preordered ones in that platform. I mostly buy hard copies.

redbill 04-05-22 09:01 AM

watched the kid play for a bit this morning. looks fun. Looks like they merged Gold bricks with Red bricks and made them Blue bricks, which you use on some Skill-Tree system??

LorenzoL 04-05-22 09:36 AM

Yes, is called Kyber bricks.

bluetoast 04-05-22 04:30 PM

I entered a bunch of codes I found online to unlock characters/items. Where do those come into play, and are codes the only way to get them?

LorenzoL 04-05-22 05:53 PM

Probably you will be able to use them during Free Play. I seen the codes but have not unlocked them yet. Lego games are very finicky when it comes to glitches and don’t want to ruin any chance for the Platinum.

LorenzoL 04-05-22 08:56 PM

The 9 film chapters are broken down into different story levels which I like. There are 5 story levels per film so 45 Story Levels in total. Then you have to do the Free Play of the Story levels. Remember that you need to play the first film of each trilogy to unlock the latter films. I think the bulk of the play will be on Free Roam. Each of the story levels has “challenges” that you must accomplish. There’s no in game tips of what they are besides the title (or at least from what I explored so far). There are 1166 Kyber bricks that you must collect but you “only” need 1000 for the trophy. There are 225 Minikit and over 300 characters. They estimate that if you want to complete 100% of the game, it would take you 80-100 hours. That would make it the longest Lego game yet.

I started with Episode 4 and I’m now on Episode 5. The flying sequences with the X-Wing, Millennium Falcon and Snow Speeder were actually very good and fun. I haven’t encountered any races yet (that’s probably in Free Roam) so I’m cautiously optimistic that it will be better than previous Lego games. Once you finish a film chapter, you open up a Galaxy Free Roam option in which you can revisit a previous planet from the film chapter. When you fly to the planet, make sure to blast the Kyber asteroid or shoot down the Bounty Hunters.

I noticed that the Lego characters now do an uppercut move similar to Ryu/Ken from Street Fighter when you jumping and brawling.

I might not be able to play again until the weekend but this game was worth my Day One purchase.

Have you guys started yet?

LorenzoL 04-05-22 08:59 PM

Also, there is no 100% completion achievement/trophy so I’m hoping that the Platinum might be “easier” to get.

dsa_shea 04-05-22 09:00 PM

I started it and I'm quite satisfied with it. However, it is also a bit overwhelming in size. That is not really a bad thing when it comes to this.

LorenzoL 04-05-22 09:04 PM

Overwhelming is the right word.

I’m just going to focus in finishing the story levels first before I attempt the Free Play. I have been trying to knock some of the in game play trophies out of the way though.

LorenzoL 04-05-22 09:13 PM

I have read that Anthony Daniels and Billy Dee Williams are indeed voice actors in this game which is very cool.

https://www.radiotimes.com/technolog...ce-actors/amp/