Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Which old console generations do you still play games from?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-01-19, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been decluttering and as I have been going about doing it, I have realized something. My desire to hold on to some of my past console generations games is kind of pointless. Starting with the PS2 era, when games started to become more open world I've noticed that I have no real desire to go back and replay games from the PS1-3 eras of consoles because they are just too big of a time investment when current console games are an even bigger time investment. The games to do tend to make me want to replay them for a bit are from the NES and Super NES eras because it's so simple to pick them up, play a little and stop with no time investment.
Old 08-02-19, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Which old console generations do you still play games from?

Our house has a steady rotation of the following game systems (all are hooked up and/or ready to go at anytime):

GBA x 3 (one is a Micro)
DS
DSi x 2
2DS x 4
3DS
Nintendo64
Game Cube (with GBA adapter)
WiiU
Switch
Playstation 4 Pro
Xbox One X
Old 08-02-19, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's very hard to go back to 5th, 6th and 7th generation consoles after your motor skills have been trained for 8th generation consoles. I've tried for years to get to my PS3, PS2 and PS1 backlogs and it will never happen. So for me it's just the current gen consoles and a gaming PC.
Old 08-02-19, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just the NES for me.
Old 08-02-19, 02:48 PM
Cool New Member

Third and fifth generations for me. I have hardware dating all the way up to the sixth generation, but nothing more recent than that.

Mostly, I just find that older generations of consoles are much less headache. Each new hardware generation becomes that much more complex with smaller and more numerous components that are prone to breaking down or prompting hardware failures at random. (YLoD, RRoD, etc.) Paired with that, newer games tend to involve larger, more complex engines that necessitate lengthy and frequent load times, and in some cases, have persistent engine bugs (e.g. Gamebryo engine) that ensure frequent console lock-ups.

While my friends have already been through half-a-dozen PS3 or Xbox units, my old PSOne from 20 years ago still runs just fine. And if something does break down, it's not difficult to isolate which component needs to be tinkered with or replaced.

A complete breakdown of hardware in my household:

Game Boy Pocket
Game Boy Advance (one of the original non-lit systems)
PS2 slim, which thanks to hacking I've rigged into a media center since I don't have any cable / satellite / streaming service
PSOne (largely for imports, as there's no sane way to achieve this on a PS2 despite backward compatibility)
GameCube w/ GB Player
Old 08-03-19, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got a GameCube for Christmas, so play that a lot. I also have an Atari Flashback that I have for Atari 2600 games
Old 08-04-19, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm in the opposite boat as Robin. I've been in in a retro mood so I've been re-buying shit I sold off and playing those. I've been playing more of those than current gen stuff.

Picked up the NES & SNES Classics

Re-bought a new GameCube and a custom HDMI adapter
- rebuilt my old library and then some. Only 1-2 left to pick up.

Re-bought an N64 (Funtastic purple) I originally had a launch unit w/a boring set of 4 controllers, so I'm collecting all the Funtastic ones. Two left to go.

- re-bought a few games (GoldenEye, MK64, and a few others) but the good games tend to cost way more than GCN games. So this is a slower rebuilding process.
- next purchase is a new custom HDMI adapter.

Re-bought an original Xbox w/a Logitech wireless controller. Also rebuilt my entire library already.

The only thing that sucks with all this rebuilding is that I kept everything meticulous. I don't feel like spending ridiculous sums of money for mint copies of everything so I'm stuck with a range of quality of games. I'm kinda mad I sold all of it off originally.
Old 08-04-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All I have aside from the PS4 is a PS3. Once I get through the backlog, I'll get rid of it. I'll generally play a PS4 game, then go for 2-3 PS3 games, then back to the PS4.
Old 08-04-19, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are so many current console games I'm interested in playing I almost never replay old ones unless it's Nintendo stuff. I have a PS4, XB1, Switch, PS3, 360, and Wii U. The PS3 I keep around because there are some digital only games that I still need to play through but then I'll get rid of it, the 360 I only keep around for Beatles Rock Band, the Wii U I got in the last year for cheap for if I want to replay Mario or Pikmin games.