Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Convert your remaining Xbox Live sub (up to 3 years) to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate for a buck

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Convert your remaining Xbox Live sub (up to 3 years) to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate for a buck

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-19, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Re: Convert your remaining Xbox Live sub (up to 3 years) to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate for a buck

Yeah it is totally worth it. No downside at all. Unfortunately for me I had over-stocked up on subscriptions previously so I couldn't maximize the deal and yet it was still worth it. The closer you are to a total of 36 months (without going over) of Live + Game Pass before converting the better. Nobody knows how long this deal will last but I wouldn't wait too long in case it changes.
​​​​​​
​​​​
Old 06-12-19, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Convert your remaining Xbox Live sub (up to 3 years) to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate for a buck

Yeah, I wasn't planning on it, but I basically paid $100 (2 yrs of live at Costco), which when added to my existing game pass and live, it got me 2 yrs 11 months. Basically paid $50 year for it. smoking deal.
Old 06-12-19, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
^ You would get 31 or 32 months of GPU. The max you can combine is up to 36 months, so you're right near the limit, which is good.

Put another way, if you pay just $1, your Gold and GP (combined as GPU) will expire Feb or March 2022.

Absolutely worth it, IMO.

Note: I THINK I did the math right: You have 29 months of Gold and 2 months of GP remaining. Combine those for 31 months, and I think the GPU deal adds 1 more month for that $1 you pay.

edit: Hell, if you found a cheap 3 month Gold card (or cash in MS points for free months of Gold or GP), you could redeem that first, then pay the $1 for GPU, and it would bring you right near the max of 36 months.
Thanks for the info Dan, looks like everything went through correctly. I was sitting on a free month of Game Pass from that challenge they had last month, so I redeemed that and turned on reoccurring billing to get an additional month. So now I have Ultimate until 5/6/2022

Now I'm hoping they put some sort of yearly fee in place before then, because I'm not too hot on paying $15 a month for that service since we've been getting yearly deals on XBL Gold for around $40 and the Game Pass subscriptions were down to $60 to $70 over the holidays.
Old 06-12-19, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Yeah, I wasn't planning on it, but I basically paid $100 (2 yrs of live at Costco), which when added to my existing game pass and live, it got me 2 yrs 11 months. Basically paid $50 year for it. smoking deal.
My Live subscription ended last November, mainly because my Xbox One is pretty dormant. I still had a one year code lying around for when there was a game I actually wanted to play online, and when this came out did the same thing, added the two years from costco and converted. I wasn't even all that interested in Game Pass because my backlog keeps me busy, but this hooked me back in.
Old 06-12-19, 11:49 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Thanks fujishig! Here are the last 5 minutes of my life:

Read this thread. Opened new browser tab and checked Xbox account. I had live for 23 more months, until May 2021. Opened new tab and searched for cheapest year code. Bought a year from cdkeys for $50. It was emailed instantly. Added the year. Turned on recurrent billing to get a free month, so good to June 2022. Clicked your link. Paid the $1. Now have ultimate until June 2022. Turned off recurrent billing.

The preceding unnecessary detail provided in hopes of preventing multiple queries from Oldboy.
Old 06-12-19, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I have a suspicion that Game Pass and Gold will eventually merge into on subscription service, rendering this smoking deal somewhat pointless. We'll see if my guess pans out.
Old 06-12-19, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I had $3 in Xbox credit, so I grabbed the $1 offer. Now I’m good until 3/20 for both Live and Game Pass. No brainer since my Game Pass was due to renew next month.
Old 06-12-19, 12:39 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno
I have a suspicion that Game Pass and Gold will eventually merge into on subscription service, rendering this smoking deal somewhat pointless. We'll see if my guess pans out.
Yeah, they might call it something crazy like... like... Game Pass Ultimate.

Actually, I do get what you mean. The thing is, "Gold" titles will always have to be available to members who claimed them, while "Game Pass" titles are a rotating library. They may combine them all into one easily-defined thing, but they have to be extremely careful about how they go about it... to avoid push-back from anyone who claimed a "Gold" title thinking it wouldn't disappear from their digital library.
Old 06-12-19, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I had $3 in Xbox credit, so I grabbed the $1 offer. Now I’m good until 3/20 for both Live and Game Pass. No brainer since my Game Pass was due to renew next month.
Well it would have been a lot better for you if you had first upped your Live subscription for a year or two and then done the conversion. As Trevor mentioned, had you first bough two years of Live Gold for $100, then you would have gotten a subscription for Game Pass Ultimate for $101 total until 3/22. Now after 3/20 you will have to pay $15/mo (or essentially $361 for the same duration of service). Live and learn

Old 06-12-19, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno
The only way this becomes pointless is if they lower the combined subscription to at or below what Gold costs now. Which would still be an insane value.
Old 06-14-19, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I was gonna run out in November, so I added two years to my live (costco) and I had a 6 month game pass credit I hadn’t used (plus extra month fby picking autorenew which I’ll turn off). Now I’m good until June 2022 for the extra buck. Especially happy at getting basically 7 months of live for the game pass.

Last edited by Ginwen; 06-14-19 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-17-19, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I just purchased two additional years and converted my remaining 28 months, including two they added when I entered my gift cards and had the auto-renew option on.
Old 06-21-19, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tempting, although I've never used Game Pass. I have Gold until November 2020. So I can only extend it until November 2021, still not a bad deal though.
Old 06-21-19, 02:58 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

So you have 17 months remaining, right?

I'd recommend:
- Buy 1 year of Gold. Redeem it. If offered to enable recurring billing for 1 free month, say YES. That bumps you to 29 or 30 months.
- Sign up for Game Pass Ultimate for $1. That should switch you to GPU and also bump you to 30 or 31 months. (EDIT: Some folks have had luck contacting a microsoft agent and getting 3 months for the $1. YMMV.)
- Consider
this deal this deal
: $20 for 3 months of GPU. Redeem this AFTER you're already signed up for GPU, and that'll bump you to 33 or 34 months.
(NOTE: I'm not sure if this $20/3-month code will work if you redeem the $1 offer as well, it's unclear. Worst case, you can redeem it 12 months from now, though. See details at the link.)

So for ~$81 + tax, you'll have GPU until about March or April 2022.

As others have already said... DO NOT redeem Gold codes AFTER you switch, because they'll be worth a smaller # of months, with 12-month cards being the worst deal. But if redeemed BEFORE you switch, then it's fine as long as it doesn't exceed 36 months.
Old 06-24-19, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

GPU is now an option on Rewards as well. 1 month is 12,000 points and 3 months in 35,000 points. I was on the fence of converting over, but now that it is on Rewards I'll go ahead and convert over. I bought 2 years gold for $102 off Ebay as I was only good through 11/2019, and for GP I was only up until November 2019 as well this year after I just redeemed points for 3 months of that so it will be worth it. Right now through Rewards I'm averaging at about 9-10K and that is without making sure to cover all my possible earning potential. So I should not have an issue in the time between now and when I would have to pay again to earn through REwards. One thing to do is watch for Hot Deals when they discount points needed. Only issue is they will disappear after a time.
Old 06-27-19, 02:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

For those on the fence, apparently this deal (or at least, some aspects of it) will end on June 30th.
Old 06-27-19, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I did mine yesterday, I think I saw "ends in 8 days" next to the sale price of $1.
Old 06-27-19, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk God

If you still haven't done this, MassGenie has $40 live for a year: https://slickdeals.net/f/13178536-xb...?src=frontpage
Old 06-27-19, 10:34 PM

Be aware that Mass Genie doesn't send out codes right away, you have to wait for the buying period to end. If you're up against a 6/30 deadline, you should be fine but you might be cutting things a bit close.
Old 06-28-19, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Decker
Be aware that Mass Genie doesn't send out codes right away, you have to wait for the buying period to end. If you're up against a 6/30 deadline, you should be fine but you might be cutting things a bit close.
it apparently was closing today from what i saw, so you'd get it by tomorrow at the latest. at least that's what someone said on slickdeals
Old 06-28-19, 11:18 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

And remember... if you buy that, make sure you redeem it BEFORE you upgrade to GPU. Otherwise that 12 months of Gold will only convert to 4 months of GPU.
Old 08-31-19, 09:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

So if my friend has say, one year of Gold. What’s his best bet to get Ultimate for the best price? That dollar price ain’t still going on, right?
Old 09-01-19, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
So if my friend has say, one year of Gold. What’s his best bet to get Ultimate for the best price? That dollar price ain’t still going on, right?
The $1 upgrade isn't still going on, no..... it's now $2.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08...-on-gold-first
https://slickdeals.net/f/13338454-2-...bscribers-only

It looks like this new deal is good through 9/10.

It will convert your existing Gold subscription to an equivalent length of Game Pass Unlimited, so if you have 1 year of Gold, you'd have 1 year 2 months of Unlimited after conversion.
Old 09-01-19, 05:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

thanks Jay.