Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Convert your remaining Xbox Live sub (up to 3 years) to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate for a buck

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Convert your remaining Xbox Live sub (up to 3 years) to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate for a buck

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-19, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

This could probably go in the Xbox thread or the deals thread but it's probably significant enough to make a new one (mods may disagree).

You can convert all of your existing Xbox Live subscription, up to three years, to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate (this is the combined Xbox Live plus Xbox Game Pass) for a buck.

If you go to the page to buy ultimate, it seems like you only get the first month for a dollar. But it will actually convert your remaining Xbox Live membership. So if you want, you can go to costco or wherever (costco has a decent deal on 24 months), stock up on up to 36 months of Xbox Live, and get Game Pass Ultimate for that duration for a buck by converting. You can only convert once, and it will only do a max of 36 months.

Here's the link to join once you have stocked up on your Live sub:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xb...%3aoverviewtab

Your membership will say something like:
$14.99 every month, next charge on 6/10/2022 with Microsoft account balance
edited to add: If you're a current game pass subscriber it actually adds up your live and game pass subscriptions as well.

Last edited by fujishig; 06-10-19 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-10-19, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Convert your remaining Xbox Live sub (up to 3 years) to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate for a buck

Very interesting. Anybody know of a retailer that has year sub cards in the $40-45 range right now? Looks like CDKeys is currently $53 and change.
Old 06-10-19, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Convert your remaining Xbox Live sub (up to 3 years) to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate for a buck

Wasn't there a post in Xbox thread that said if you do this, you can't revert your account back?
Old 06-10-19, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones
Wasn't there a post in Xbox thread that said if you do this, you can't revert your account back?
I'm not sure why you'd want to? When your ultimate membership expires, you should be able to just get Live again (if that option exists at that time).

I'm pretty sure that discussion was before this 1 dollar conversion deal. If you spend a buck to convert your current Live subscription, I doubt you'll want to try to fight them for a fraction of a buck back to try to go back to just Live during that subscription.

There is a caveat that once on this plan, if you try to redeem more prepaid cards, the duration will be pro rated. I think they have a table somewhere for how many months of ultimate a three month xbox live card will get you after you convert. Which is why if you're sure you're going to use it, just max out the three years now and then convert.
Old 06-10-19, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Someone posted it over at CAG as this....

"Game pass is 3:2 conversion and Gold is 3:1. So a a 3 month game pass will give 2 months of ultimate and a 3 month gold will give 1 month of ultimate."

So once converted a 12 month Gold sub will only be worth 4 months of Ultimate.
Old 06-10-19, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by darkdaze73
Someone posted it over at CAG as this....

"Game pass is 3:2 conversion and Gold is 3:1. So a a 3 month game pass will give 2 months of ultimate and a 3 month gold will give 1 month of ultimate."

So once converted a 12 month Gold sub will only be worth 4 months of Ultimate.
This is only after you convert.

So basically:
If you have Xbox Live Gold and/or Gamepass and you convert now, it converts 1:1. So if you have 3 months of Gold left and 3 months of Gamepass, for a dollar you can convert to 6 months of Game Pass Ultimate.

Once you convert, any additional prepaid cards you add will be prorated.

So add all of your prepaid cards (up to three years) before you convert. If you still have a 12 month card after that, wait until your membership is up, go back to just having Xbox Live Gold and apply your card then.

I'm assuming that this is a limited time deal and the 1:1 conversion is going to change once they get their sub numbers up. By all means if you want to wait for a sale on Xbox Live to save five bucks, go ahead, but I'd act sooner rather than later.

Last edited by fujishig; 06-10-19 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-10-19, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I just bought a 2 year subscription at Costco.com (member's only) for 101 after taxes, then paid MS the dollar for Game Pass. It converted the entire 2 years for only a buck. This is great.
Old 06-10-19, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm not sure why you'd want to? When your ultimate membership expires, you should be able to just get Live again (if that option exists at that time).

I'm pretty sure that discussion was before this 1 dollar conversion deal. If you spend a buck to convert your current Live subscription, I doubt you'll want to try to fight them for a fraction of a buck back to try to go back to just Live during that subscription.

There is a caveat that once on this plan, if you try to redeem more prepaid cards, the duration will be pro rated. I think they have a table somewhere for how many months of ultimate a three month xbox live card will get you after you convert. Which is why if you're sure you're going to use it, just max out the three years now and then convert.
Revert back meaning to Live only. I have GamePass and Live individually now, since those deals are a dime a dozen. I don't want to be stuck having to sub to this ultimate package in the future due to converting it now.
Old 06-10-19, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones
Revert back meaning to Live only. I have GamePass and Live individually now, since those deals are a dime a dozen. I don't want to be stuck having to sub to this ultimate package in the future due to converting it now.
You convert it now, have it for the duration of your subscription, then when it expires you can switch back to just Live (this is obviously assuming they offer Live separately at that point).

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/billing/xbox-subscriptions/xbox-game-pass-ultimate-faq#2c41e57d185b4f50bcdab87a164d3077

If I no longer want Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, can I go back to Xbox Game Pass for Console or Xbox Live Gold?

You can cancel Xbox Game Pass Ultimate by signing in at www.xbox.com/accounts, and sign up again for Xbox Live Gold or Xbox Game Pass for Console.

Old 06-10-19, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

Okay, I'm still kinda fuzzy on this. I'm currently good with Gold through 11/21 and with Game Pass through 4/21. Not much point in my doing this, right? It would have been a lot better if I hadn't loaded up on half-price Game Pass I guess.
Old 06-10-19, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Ok, thx. I pulled the trigger on the Costco 2 year sub. I had about 8 months left on my existing Live Sub and 3 months on my Game Pass Sub. It converted to 2 years and 11 months.
Old 06-10-19, 03:45 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Okay, I'm still kinda fuzzy on this. I'm currently good with Gold through 11/21 and with Game Pass through 4/21. Not much point in my doing this, right? It would have been a lot better if I hadn't loaded up on half-price Game Pass I guess.
It would depend on how much you paid to get those subs to 11/21 and 4/21, and whether or not limiting yourself to 06/22 makes sense. Not sure how long they'll offer the $1 upgrade or if the terms will remain the same when you're down to 36 months remaining (15 months from now, if I calculated your subs that right). Adding Game Pass for PC is a benefit, too.

So, for $1, you're bumping everything up to 06/22 instead of their current expiry... or do so sometime in the next 15 months... but there's no guarantee the deal/conversion will be the same.
Old 06-10-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you have approximately 30 months of Gold and 22 months of GP which would be 52 months of Ultimate but 36 months is the max so you would lose 16 months in the conversion.

Assuming you are to keep Gold and GP to June of 2022, the question would then be, how much would you pay for 6 months of Gold (36 months - 30 months left) and 13 month of GP (36 months - 22 months left) vs having both extended to June 2022.

Another way to look at it is, you're gaining 6-7 months of Gold and 13-14 month so GP for free to 06/22.
Old 06-10-19, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Cool. I jumped at this deal, although I was a little concerned when it said I'd be charged $14.99 after my first month. Checked my account details after enlisting, however, and it says I won't be charged that rate till 2021.

Now I just have to find a game I actually want to play that I don't already own.
Old 06-10-19, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon68
So you have approximately 30 months of Gold and 22 months of GP which would be 52 months of Ultimate but 36 months is the max so you would lose 16 months in the conversion.

Assuming you are to keep Gold and GP to June of 2022, the question would then be, how much would you pay for 6 months of Gold (36 months - 30 months left) and 13 month of GP (36 months - 22 months left) vs having both extended to June 2022.

Another way to look at it is, you're gaining 6-7 months of Gold and 13-14 month so GP for free to 06/22.
Okay you kind of lost me there. If I pay $1 what will I get? Do I get both extended until 6/22?
Old 06-10-19, 05:56 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ 100% yes. Your Game Pass Ultimate sub will end June 10, 2022 if you pay $1 today, so that means both Gold and Game Pass until June 2022 instead of their current expiry since you have more than 36 months remaining between the two separately.
Old 06-10-19, 06:57 PM

I can't do it. Is it dead already?

Edit. After repeated clicks, I got through. Got an error message during processing but then I checked my account and I'm good until 6/11/2022. Thanks. I can't imagine that this wasn't worth doing, though in a perfect world I wouldn't have spent so much on Live and Game Pass in the past.

Last edited by Decker; 06-10-19 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-10-19, 07:06 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I can't do it. Is it dead already?
Shouldn't be. Try this link?
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass#join

edit: they might be doing maintenance on it. I can see the page at the link above, but when I click Join (even though I'm already subbed) I get an error message.
Old 06-10-19, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The join button doesn't work for me, but I've already converted so I have no idea if it works for someone new.
Old 06-10-19, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dan
Shouldn't be. Try this link?
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass#join

edit: they might be doing maintenance on it. I can see the page at the link above, but when I click Join (even though I'm already subbed) I get an error message.
Yeah, I got that error message

We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.

over and over again. I don't know if it's mainanence or

But in either case, I figured if I ever got through I'd better jump while I had the chance. And I did.
Old 06-10-19, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seems to work now.
Old 06-10-19, 07:26 PM

Yup, site is back up. Had me worried for a sec but seems like a false alarm.
Old 06-10-19, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I didn’t use Game Pass when I had the trial, but I was planning to continue Gold (expires this summer), so it’s kind of a no-brainer to get this.
Old 06-12-19, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone know how much longer this upgrade is going on for? I'm still trying to figure out if I want to do it. Currently my Gold expires 11/28/21 and I recently did the 3 month gamepass for $1, so that expires 8/18/19.
Old 06-12-19, 08:30 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ You would get 31 or 32 months of GPU. The max you can combine is up to 36 months, so you're right near the limit, which is good.

Put another way, if you pay just $1, your Gold and GP (combined as GPU) will expire Feb or March 2022.

Absolutely worth it, IMO.

Note: I THINK I did the math right: You have 29 months of Gold and 2 months of GP remaining. Combine those for 31 months, and I think the GPU deal adds 1 more month for that $1 you pay.

edit: Hell, if you found a cheap 3 month Gold card (or cash in MS points for free months of Gold or GP), you could redeem that first, then pay the $1 for GPU, and it would bring you right near the max of 36 months.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.