Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Konami 50th Anniversary Collection

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-19, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Konami 50th Anniversary Collection

https://www.konami.com/games/50th/ac/us/en/

Last edited by Deadman31; 03-20-19 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-19-19, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Konami 50th Anniversary Collection

Disappointing that all of these are digital only. I’ll probably get all of these. Definitely most excited about the Castlevania collection.

Last edited by Mike86; 03-19-19 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-20-19, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder what the other 4 Castlevania games will be? Bloodlines, Dracula X and ???
One of them has to be Simons Quest right?
Old 03-20-19, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

I would love to have the CastleVania collection.
Old 03-20-19, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31
I wonder what the other 4 Castlevania games will be? Bloodlines, Dracula X and ???
The Castlevania Adventure, Simon's Quest, Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night? Including the Gameboy Castlevania 2 kind of surprised me. for Bloodlines; that's a good game that often gets overlooked (likely because it was released on the Genesis). If SOTN is included, I'd love for them to include the areas that were cut out of the NA release. It always bugged me we never received a remastered version that included those areas.
Old 03-20-19, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don’t know if they are going to include SOTN and Rondo since they just released the Requiem pack.
Old 03-20-19, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

No Time Pilot or Frogger? I realize that Frogger was licensed to Sega initially, but the compilations and remakes have been released by Konami. I would have also liked to have seen Circus Charlie, but that may be just me.

As for Contra, is there something preventing them from releasing the NES version of the first game? They opted for Super C on the NES Classic, and again here (unless it's one of the unnannounced titles). If they're going to include 2 versions of one of the early games, it should be the original.
Old 03-20-19, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Wait, they took time out from making pachinko machines to release a video game?
Old 03-20-19, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
As for Contra, is there something preventing them from releasing the NES version of the first game? They opted for Super C on the NES Classic, and again here (unless it's one of the unnannounced titles). If they're going to include 2 versions of one of the early games, it should be the original.
Contra was an arcade game first actually. The NES version is probably what a lot of us remember though. I’ve heard there are differences in the arcade version that many prefer.

For the Castlevania games you would think it would make sense for one of the four unannounced games to be Simon’s Quest. Might not be the most beloved entry, but why release two of the three NES games only? Unless they plan on doing future volumes of these collections. I’d kind of prefer they be in order though.
Old 03-20-19, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Drexl
No Time Pilot or Frogger? I realize that Frogger was licensed to Sega initially, but the compilations and remakes have been released by Konami. I would have also liked to have seen Circus Charlie, but that may be just me.

Which Contra is included here?
Old 03-20-19, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86

Contra was an arcade game first actually. The NES version is probably what a lot of us remember though. I’ve heard there are differences in the arcade version that many prefer.

For the Castlevania games you would think it would make sense for one of the four unannounced games to be Simon’s Quest. Might not be the most beloved entry, but why release two of the three NES games only? Unless they plan on doing future volumes of these collections. I’d kind of prefer they be in order though.
I have probably played both versions of Contra 100 times each. They each have their benefits. Biggest difference is that Laser and Machine Gun actually do something in the arcade version. Laser is better than Spread in arcade. It's like a OHKO. Arcade is shorter as levels 5-7 are basically merged into 1. The NES version feels tighter in some ways graphics wise, especially with spin jumps. The bosses are slightly easier on the arcade version and the enemies don't shoot as much and their bullets are not as fast.

FTR, the japanese version actually has cut scenes which show there is a plot to the game. I wonder if they will include those.
Old 03-20-19, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

i was really hoping that Taito would bring out their Legends collection on the PS4, XB1.
Old 03-20-19, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Which Contra is included here?
The arcade Contra is there, along with both the arcade and NES versions of Super C. I think the NES Contra is more fondly remembered than any of those.

But again, it may just not be announced yet. There aren't many good ones left after Contra III unless they go up to the Wii. There's Hard Corps on Genesis, maybe the PS2 Shattered Soldier? The 3D PSX/Saturn games were mediocre.
Old 03-20-19, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Well there was at least one GBA castlevania game, I think it was called Circle of the Moon? I remember it was one of the first GBA games, and the screen was so damn dark, it was hard to see anything, so I gave up on that game until the GameCube GBA player came out.

Oh yeah, Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow were the other GBA games. All similar metroidvania games.
Old 03-20-19, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wouldn’t the GBC color Castlevanias make more sense over the GBA ones?
Old 03-20-19, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wouldn’t the GBC color Castlevanias make more sense over the GBA ones?
whys that?
Old 03-20-19, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If they are going back to the original games. Then maybe put GBA games on a vol 2.

https://www.konami.com/games/50th/ac/castlevania/us/en/

The first Konami Castlevania Collection is designed to be a completed collection around the origins of the historic franchise.

Included is a unique eBook that has details provided by developers, artists and other inspired by the Castlevania legacy.

Released as part of the Konami 50th Anniversary celebration, now the best time to relive these timeless classics that helped define the platformer genre.

The Castlevania Anniversary Collection is set to be available on PlayStationŽStore, Xbox Live, Switch™ eShop & Steam/ PC. in Early Summer 2019.

We are only revealing four of the set, however we can confirm that there will be more titles to be added at time of launch.
• Castlevania
• Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse
• Super Castlevania IV
• Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge
Old 03-20-19, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I hope they include the "Re-Birth" games for both Contra and Castlevania games that were released to Wii's virtual console.

They're basically SNES-styled sequels to each game's SNES game. I think a lot of people who would've loved them missed out on them because they were released kinda under the radar. This would be a good opportunity to offer the game to fans who never got to play them.

They're short, but a ton of fun and look great - very replayable.

Old 03-20-19, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If they are going back to the original games. Then maybe put GBA games on a vol 2.
maybe that's their plan, but I just watched some videos of the GB and GBC castlevanias, and I can't really see those getting much play beyond 5 or 10 mins of people checking them out. I don't recall those games having really that much nostalgia attached to them, like the NES ones do. Maybe I'm off base, but those games just seem too primitive, graphically and gameplay wise, to get much action these days.
Old 03-20-19, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Yeah, I loved my original gameboy but I don't have a lot of nostalgia or need to relive any of the games. GBC, maybe, GBA, absolutely, but OG Gameboy, nah, I'm good.
Old 03-20-19, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh don’t get me wrong, I’d love the GBA games but let’s face facts this is Konami we are talking about. I still don’t understand holding off on announcing last 4 games until release. That alone makes me nervous.
Old 04-18-19, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The last 4 Castlevania games

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019...ection-lineup/

they could have found something better than Kid Dracula but I’m glad they put in Simons quest and Bloodlines

Last edited by Deadman31; 04-18-19 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-18-19, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Kind of bummed the Wiimakes didn't make it, but I guess thats not much of a surprise.
Old 04-18-19, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Hard pass on the Castlevania collection. There's only 2 titles worth a damn (to me), and I already have those (III on VC, and IV on VC, snes-mini and an actual snes), and I'd never touch the other games, so, I'll be waiting for the next collection. Getting all 3 of the GBA Castlevanias in one package would be great.
Old 04-18-19, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They should have included the other GB game, Legends instead of kid Dracula

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.