Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What Are You Playing? (December 2018)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-18, 08:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Re: What Are You Playing? (December 2018)

Originally Posted by Koby
It's much better than DMC4 in my opinion, but I'm only on the 3rd Mission now.
just got that along with the first 3, but this one is just fun as hell and wanted to keep it going so bought whole collection and preordered next. hack and slash, but more fun with that genre then i have had in a long time (can't even remember last hack and slash i played)...

Last edited by OldBoy; 12-18-18 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-18-18, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
just got that along with the first 3, but this one is just fun as hell and wanted to keep it going so bought whole collection and preordered next. hack and slash, but more fun with that genre than i have had in a long time (can't even remember last hack and slash i played)...
So DmC was the first entry into the series you played?
Old 12-18-18, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Against my better judgement I started Dragon Quest XI. So there goes the next 120 hours of my free time haha.
Old 12-18-18, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Switch:
Fortnite
Splatoon 2
Salt and Sanctuary (pretty cool 2D Souls like game)
Smash Bros. (playing this one occasionally, I really don't understand why people love this game so much)

PS4:
Player Unknown Battlegrounds
Old 12-18-18, 03:49 PM

So DmC was the first entry into the series you played?
yeah. do the others hold up? i know not same graphics, but similar style of play?
Old 12-18-18, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah. do the others hold up? i know not same graphics, but similar style of play?
I didn't much care about 2 & 4, however I really enjoyed 1 & 3 back in the day, but I haven't played the "remastered versions". The gameplay is mostly the same across them all with just some tweaks and additions as the series progressed.

DMC2 actually had 2 discs, one disc you played as Dante, while the other you played as Lucia. But basically you play as the different characters criss-crossing through the same story by taking different paths but ending up in the same places. Dante lacked the fun factor he had in the original. With an exception of one or two cool one liners, he's very much the quiet, stoic type. The gameplay felt slower, you only had different swords for melee (no fan-favorite gauntlets from DMC1), weapon switching was done terribly, and overall the game was just too easy. In terms of design, the game had too many aerial enemies in proportion to Dante's moveset. While they did greatly expand on Devil Trigger options, if you didn't have meter then you were pretty much stuck to using guns. And it's not just regular enemies; a lot - if not a majority - of bosses were like this. Quite a bit of the general dislike of the game by DMC fans also comes down to some of the drama behind the game's development. The short of it is that Capcom went behind the backs of the team behind the original game and gave the sequel to a different team. IIRC, the original team didn't even know there was a sequel until it was publicly announced.

DMC4 didn't feel like Dante's game. You start out as Nero and have to play through a big chunk of the game before you even come across Dante and instead the two characters fight instead of join forces and the game had a lot of backtracking required to progress and because of the Nero/Dante dynamic you actually end up playing the same levels twice. And despite Capcoms insistence that fans would know who Nero was by the end of DMC4, we actually do not find out. We really don't know who he is. We just know he isn't
Spoiler:
Vergil(reborn) or Vergil's son due
to Capcom's timeline of this game being 10 years after DMC3 and Nero being the same age as DMC3 Dante. The game ends on somewhat of a cliffhanger, which with DmC announcement fans felt would never be addressed, but hopefully DMC5 finally tackles that. DMC3 just had a much better story, more weapons, and more fleshed out styles. Nero only had 2 weapons and Dante had 3, so didn't really have the diversity in gameplay styles once you got burned out on Nero's style from being an new character.

Last edited by Koby; 12-18-18 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-18-18, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Against my better judgement I started Dragon Quest XI. So there goes the next 120 hours of my free time haha.
At this point...I don't think it it really matters what game it is....expect 80+ hrs of your life tied up in gaming somehow and someway...and funny how it always expands around Christmas time....
Old 12-18-18, 04:47 PM

I didn't much care about 2 & 4, however I really enjoyed 1 & 3 back in the day, but I haven't played the "remastered versions". The gameplay is mostly the same across them all with just some tweaks and additions as the series progressed.

DMC2 actually had 2 discs, one disc you played as Dante, while the other you played as Lucia. But basically you play as the different characters criss-crossing through the same story by taking different paths but ending up in the same places. Dante lacked the fun factor he had in the original. With an exception of one or two cool one liners, he's very much the quiet, stoic type. The gameplay felt slower, you only had different swords for melee (no fan-favorite gauntlets from DMC1), weapon switching was done terribly, and overall the game was just too easy. In terms of design, the game had too many aerial enemies in proportion to Dante's moveset. While they did greatly expand on Devil Trigger options, if you didn't have meter then you were pretty much stuck to using guns. And it's not just regular enemies; a lot - if not a majority - of bosses were like this. Quite a bit of the general dislike of the game by DMC fans also comes down to some of the drama behind the game's development. The short of it is that Capcom went behind the backs of the team behind the original game and gave the sequel to a different team. IIRC, the original team didn't even know there was a sequel until it was publicly announced.

DMC4 didn't feel like Dante's game. You start out as Nero and have to play through a big chunk of the game before you even come across Dante and instead the two characters fight instead of join forces and the game had a lot of backtracking required to progress and because of the Nero/Dante dynamic you actually end up playing the same levels twice. And despite Capcoms insistence that fans would know who Nero was by the end of DMC4, we actually do not find out. We really don't know who he is. We just know he isn't Vergil(reborn) or Vergil's son due to Capcom's timeline of this game being 10 years after DMC3 and Nero being the same age as DMC3 Dante. The game ends on somewhat of a cliffhanger, which with DmC announcement fans felt would never be addressed, but hopefully DMC5 finally tackles that. DMC3 just had a much better story, more weapons, and more fleshed out styles. Nero only had 2 weapons and Dante had 3, so didn't really have the diversity in gameplay styles once you got burned out on Nero's style from being an new character.
great details, thanks. look forward to playing the good and bad and see. but did you spoil something about Vergil? oh no.
Old 12-18-18, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by K&AJones
At this point...I don't think it it really matters what game it is....expect 80+ hrs of your life tied up in gaming somehow and someway...and funny how it always expands around Christmas time....
Yeah, even games advertised as being shorter, seem to end up 80+ hours for 100% completion.

Example from the latest game I finished beating: HLTB says Battle Chasers: Nightwar is about 28 and 1/2 hours for completing the main story without any side quests, etc. But the completionist listing says 65 hours. However that's just the completionist for what you can obtain through the first playthrough. The game has a NG+ and expects you to play it multiple times to ever be able to max out your characters perks. NG+ also unlocks an entirely new level of equipment that wasn't obtainable before hand. So even if you rush the game twice and then do completionist your 3rd playthrough to finally 100% absolutely every aspect of the game, you're looking at a bit over 100 hours.... for a game that takes less than 30 to experience just the main story.

great details, thanks. look forward to playing the good and bad and see. but did you spoil something about Vergil? oh no.
Sorry, doesn't help now, but I have put those words in a spoiler tag now.
Old 12-18-18, 05:25 PM

So best play them in a row? Skip 2 all together? Does it tie into overall story of Devil May Cry?
Old 12-18-18, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So best play them in a row? Skip 2 all together? Does it tie into overall story of Devil May Cry?
Chronological order is: DMC3 - DMC1 - DMC4 - DMC5 - DMC 2

DMC5 is stated to be a few years after the events of DMC4, so I believe it's still going to be set chronologically before the events of DMC2, but it's possible it's set after or actually starts before it but time jumps to after for all we know at this point.

They all tie together into an overall story of the DMC world, but the games rarely reference things from the others and really doesn't matter in what order you play them. So feel free to play in release order, chronological order, or any random order you wish.

DmC is the only one that is entirely on it's own.

There is also a 12 episode anime series if you're interested in that, but the anime is it's own contained story following Dante.
Old 12-18-18, 06:20 PM

When you say DMC5, do you mean DmC (2013), or one up coming?
Old 12-18-18, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When you say DMC5, do you mean DmC (2013), or one up coming?
The one coming up in 2019.
Old 12-18-18, 06:47 PM

oh so 2013 DmC has no story ties whatsoever? does it begin a new chapter or something?
Old 12-18-18, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

oh so 2013 DmC has no story ties whatsoever? does it begin a new chapter or something?
DmC was outsourced to NinjaTheory, some say because Capcom had ran out of fresh ideas and wanted to see someone else take a stab at the series, and they reboot the series giving Dante an entirely new look among many other changes (it was funny at the beginning of DmC they show Dante seeing a silver wig and saying something like "never gonna happen" as a nod to classic Dante design), some for the better obviously but Dante's appearance change didn't sit well with long time fans, so it was kind of hated solely for that reason, boycotted, etc... Eventually they released DLC to give Dante his classic look to try to appease those people.

So NinjaTheory's DmC is not connected to Capcom's main DMC, which is why the new game next year is numbered DMC5 instead of 6.
Old 12-18-18, 07:13 PM

I actually tried the classic skin, but since I didn’t know lore, figured I’d stick with current/new look.
So the new one coming out is Capcom? Is that gonna change gameplay and look or can they just take what worked with Ninja Theory?
Old 12-18-18, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah the original team had some ideas and wanted to work on a new title so they brought it home according to some Japanese interviews that have been translated. I'm not sure how the contracts work on that sort of thing. Essentially it's Capcom's IP, but NinjaTheory likely holds to rights to what they did; so I'm unsure if Capcom is able to utilize it or not, but at the very least they did borrow ideas and take inspiration from DmC.

There is a DMC5 demo out currently, but it's XBONE exclusive oddly enough, but you can check out some gameplay videos on YouTube to see what it's like. Nero from DMC4 returns. They did say we'd get a multi-platform demo at a later date however.
Old 12-18-18, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by koby
yeah the original team had some ideas and wanted to work on a new title so they brought it home according to some japanese interviews that have been translated. I'm not sure how the contracts work on that sort of thing. Essentially it's capcom's ip, but ninjatheory likely holds to rights to what they did; so i'm unsure if capcom is able to utilize it or not, but at the very least they did borrow ideas and take inspiration from dmc.

There is a dmc5 demo out currently, but it's xbone exclusive oddly enough, but you can check out some gameplay videos on youtube to see what it's like. Nero from dmc4 returns. They did say we'd get a multi-platform demo at a later date however.
i played demo which is why I started this whole thing. Realized I had DmC on One but never played. So far loving DmC. If 5 comes close which demo seemed to prove, even though short. I didn’t get passed that boss and I’m sure that was end any way...
Old 12-18-18, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with this and will also add that DmC is better than all of them, mainly because of the Ninja Theory combat.
Old 12-18-18, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I agree with this and will also add that DmC is better than all of them, mainly because of the Ninja Theory combat.
it's probably why i'm loving it. the combat is so silky smooth. i can do some moves, but there are so many, with all the weapons and fists and stuff, and i know there is cheat sheet, but in heat of moment, not always convenient. Still i really want more of this and want to play again and get better scores and complete the secret doors. have not completed a one. only gave few tries bc i wanted to get back to game, but some are tough...
Old 12-19-18, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Smash Bros. Ultimate and Diablo III are consuming my life on the Switch. Absolutely love playing both and worth every penny.
Old 12-19-18, 10:31 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Diablo on Switch....and

Spoiler:

on ps4...picked it up on sale for 9.99...and easily worth 3 times that. Top down, action twinstick shooter rpg....
Old 12-20-18, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm on the Kingdom Hearts 3 hype train. Playing through the series yet again. Never played BBS and DDD looking forward to playing those.
Old 12-21-18, 11:03 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Finished up Night in the Woods and Life is Strange: Before the Storm which I had only played the first chapter of previously. It was good and well worth playing through, including the bonus episode.
Also played through The Gardens Between. It was maybe three hours tops but actually a really good puzzle game. It's $20 but free with Game Pass. Definitely recommended for a quick playthrough.
Old 12-22-18, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 407 Posts

Currently Playing:

Pokemon: Let's Go, Eevee! (Switch)
Marvel's Spiderman: Silver Lining DLC (PS4)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.