Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

R.I.P. Amazon Prime 20% preorder discount (starting 8/28/18)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

R.I.P. Amazon Prime 20% preorder discount (starting 8/28/18)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-18, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts
Re: R.I.P. Amazon Prime 20% preorder discount (starting 8/28/18)

Originally Posted by mh4268
Is this a flat $10, or UP to $10? I ask because, wouldn't the SNK and Mega Man be better off with the new program? SNK would only give $8 and Mega Man $6 with the 20% off since they are lower priced games.
It’s not really clear. The way they have it worded it seems like it might not be all titles eligible for the discount. My guess is that either those won’t be eligible or if they are not for the full $10 discount.

Honestly the way the credit system works is kinda crappy. Sounds like you don’t get it right away and when you do get it you’ve only got sixty days to use it. I’d rather just take the discount off my purchase rather than Amazon saying I have to spend it with them. Count me as another who’s beginning to think Prime isn’t that worth it anymore. Between the price hike, the fact that I rarely ever use Prime Video, less orders placed, and now the game discount change I could see myself not renewing next year (I got charged already on August 5th). Truth be told a lot of my orders I could just wait on and bundle together for free two day shipping which is the one nice thing they offer.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-21-18 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-21-18, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
It’s not really clear. The way they have it worded it seems like it might not be all titles eligible for the discount. My guess is that either those won’t be eligible or if they are not for the full $10 discount.

Honestly the way the credit system works is kinda crappy. Sounds like you don’t get it right away and when you do get it you’ve only got sixty days to use it. I’d rather just take the discount off my purchase rather than Amazon saying I have to spend it with them. Count me as another who’s beginning to think Prime isn’t that worth it anymore. Between the price hike, the fact that I rarely ever use Prime Video, less orders placed, and now the game discount change I could see myself not renewing next year (I got charged already on August 5th). Truth be told a lot of my orders I could just wait on and bundle together for free two day shipping which is the one nice thing they offer.
Between trying to buy less things in general, the rising price, the shitty Prime Video interface, and the glut of shitty third party sellers with faked ratings, I find myself visiting B&M stores more in general. I have turned off my Prime auto-renew, and I don't think I will be turning it back on.
Old 08-21-18, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86

It's definitely not going to be all titles getting the $10 discount. It's going to go back to the way it was before the prime discount where they would have a handful of games that if you preordered you got a $10 credit.
Old 08-21-18, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Probably (by sheer coincidence) exactly matching the ones that Best Buy has a 10 dollar promo on.
Old 08-22-18, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been going mostly digital, so the change doesn't affect me too much. Still, looking around for any preorders I still want to get in. Might give Shadow of the Tomb Raider an order.
Old 08-24-18, 10:11 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Did people actually subscribe to Amazon prime mainly for the game discount? It always seemed to me like something tacked on to counter GCU, if you really just wanted discounted games GCU was much cheaper.
Some people did and those who didn't and were using the discount, are most likely not happy about the change, especially when after Amazon once again increased the price of the Prime membership. Those who were on the fence about renewing or not may consider not renewing just because of this.
Old 08-24-18, 10:28 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

i maybe once got a game for $47.99 instead of $59.99, but it was physical copy. i prefer digital now so get here or MS store at regular price for whatever price and whatever edition suits me best...
Old 08-25-18, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

We have Prime but got it when we ditched Direct TV and cut the cord. The discount on the games was ok but not that super important. I'll probably go ahead and order my Fallout 76 this weekend. But some of the other games I'm looking at are the "Deluxe & Gold" which wouldn't get a discount anyway. However, I do wish...not going to happen...Sony offered a bit more on the pre-order Digital. Something more enticing like even a $5.00 credit to apply to your next purchase more often.
Old 08-25-18, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I've been going mostly digital, so the change doesn't affect me too much. Still, looking around for any preorders I still want to get in. Might give Shadow of the Tomb Raider an order.
Yeah, both Best Buy and Amazon are looking at the short term. Dumping their discounts may help the bottom line in the short term but long term, this is just going to push more and more people to just go digital.

I have GCU so I've never used Amazon's deal, but it was nice to know it was there. I'm still a physical media guy, but with the deals drying up and selling becoming more of a hassle, next gen might be digital only for me.
Old 08-25-18, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yeah, both Best Buy and Amazon are looking at the short term. Dumping their discounts may help the bottom line in the short term but long term, this is just going to push more and more people to just go digital.

I have GCU so I've never used Amazon's deal, but it was nice to know it was there. I'm still a physical media guy, but with the deals drying up and selling becoming more of a hassle, next gen might be digital only for me.
Long term they're probably losing money on each purchase. If selling physical copies is just going to lose them money, I'm sure they're ok with losing that sale. Like I said before, Best Buy probably did a ton of analysis with GCU and how much other stuff besides loss leaders people were buying and whether it was worth it. Amazon has even more data about purchases than Best Buy does.

It's not like physical games have a gigantic profit margin. And if game publishers themselves didn't like it...
Old 08-25-18, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

I feel like Best Buy's biggest gaffe was underpricing GCU. It only took 3 full-priced games over the course of 2 years for a customer to be in the black. If they were trying to ape the gym membership model where the hope is to profit off subscriptions people rarely/never use, then $30 for two years is ridiculously low.

I'm sticking with Best Buy, even in a tragically post-GCU world, just because their rewards program in general is so good.
Old 08-27-18, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget, today is the final day to lock in discounts.

Is there anything worth getting that Best Buy hasn't listed yet?
Old 08-27-18, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't know about GCU since I don't have it, but I put in some placeholder orders for things like FF7 Remake, an order for Smash Bros, and the before mentioned Tomb Raider. Worst case I just cancel, so no real harm. I also wonder if anyone else has some unique games they locked in.
Old 08-27-18, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Is there anything worth getting that Best Buy hasn't listed yet?
Bayonetta 3
Old 08-27-18, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good call
Old 08-28-18, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here are the games that offer $10 gift cards now

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-28-18, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I didn't do any pre-ordering from Amazon and decided to hold off. You can pull up the "offer" beside the price and you see you get the "$10 Credit 30-35 days after game releases". However, what I did notice was they honor this with the other editions. I clicked the Fallout 76 Tricentennial Edition and the offer stands for it also. Before, only the normal editions got the discount. Almost sounds the same as BB GCU
Old 08-28-18, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And like magic Spider-man for PS4 is back up for preorder. I'm sure Sony (and others like Rock Star) had a major say in the death of the discount.
Old 08-28-18, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig
And like magic Spider-man for PS4 is back up for preorder. I'm sure Sony (and others like Rock Star) had a major say in the death of the discount.
Damn, I kept waiting for that!
Old 08-28-18, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spiderman has the $10 gift card offer. It's not as good as the 20%, but at least it's something. Especially since Best Buy isn't doing a preorder bonus certificate.
Old 08-28-18, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Spiderman has the $10 gift card offer. It's not as good as the 20%, but at least it's something. Especially since Best Buy isn't doing a preorder bonus certificate.
Well, guess I'll have to settle for this.
Old 08-28-18, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts

And of course, it doesn't apply to digital purchases.