DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Control (Remedy) - PC/PS4/XB1 - 8/27/2019 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/644328-control-remedy-pc-ps4-xb1-8-27-2019-a.html)

Decker 12-05-19 11:55 AM

Re: Control (Remedy) - PC/PS4/XB1 - 8/27/2019

Now what do I do with my unopened copy? :hscratch:

Not like $25 will kill me, but I'm certain it will go GP the moment I crack open my copy.

mattysemo247 12-05-19 12:26 PM

It's clearly a situation where they were not ready to announce it, especially during the holiday season. So I would expect it in February or March.

starseed1981 12-10-19 01:36 PM

Wow. This just won Game Of The Year from IGN.

stingermck 03-31-20 03:04 PM

Currently $23.99 on PSN. May give it a try now.

stingermck 04-08-20 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy (Post 13606740)
I couldn’t get into this. Just too repetitive and confusing. I got the powers and it still sucked.

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 13645832)
Maybe it was due to everyone talking it up so much (expectations can be a bitch), but I found the game to be completely underwhelming.
Not "bad", per se, but not at all deserving of the accolades I had read from people about it.
A competent, but thoroughly mediocre game, IMO.

Kinda where I'm at now after 5 missions. Good but not great. Certainly not GOTY that IGN gave it. Just repetitive and tired of reading signs on where to go :lol:

The Questyen 04-22-20 10:44 PM

I finished up the first story DLC The Foundation today. Plot wise it was interesting but it doubles down on the combat which is my least favorite part of the game. I have my health completely upgraded and can still die in a second to even the basic enemies. They added new base enemies that appear out of nowhere, charge at you constantly, can teleport behind you and throw axes which caused me to be killed without even seeing them multiple times. Having 3 of those enemies on screen along with a sniper and a flying enemy constantly throwing stuff at you is overkill. I managed to handle it enough to make is through the main mission but they also added 3 side missions. The first one I went to try is five minutes from the save point ( including a battle along the way which killed me multiple times) so I get to the mission entrance and get ten minutes into the mission and die and it kicks me back to the save point. I immediately ejected the game out of my PS4. I'm fine with out doing those side quests.

Dan 08-12-20 10:54 AM

Oh, hey, fuck Remedy & 505 Games.

https://505games.com/introducing-con...imate-edition/

Introducing Control Ultimate Edition

We’re excited to unveil Control Ultimate Edition, the complete Control package (featuring The Foundation and AWE expansions) coming to current gen and next gen consoles, as well as PC. And when we say PC, yes, we’re also talking about Steam! Our community have been keen to know more about the Steam edition of Control for some time now, so we’re thrilled to finally be able to talk about it. Check out the trailer below as well as a handy little FAQ guide. We know many of you will have additional questions and we’ll look to cover them in a future blog.

Control Ultimate Edition FAQ Guide

What is Control Ultimate Edition?
Control Ultimate Edition comprises of:
• Control base game
• The Foundation (Expansion 1)
• AWE (Expansion 2)
• The Expeditions end game mode, Photo Mode and all the content updates since the release of the original game.

All this amazing content in a single great value package!

Which platforms will Control Ultimate Edition be launching on?
Control Ultimate Edition will be launching on the following platforms.
• PlayStation 4
• PlayStation 5
• Xbox One
• Xbox Series X
• Epic Games Store
• Steam

What are the release dates for Control Ultimate Edition on all platforms?
• August 27th Steam
• September 10th Epic Game Store, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One (digital)
• End of 2020 PlayStation 4 and Xbox One (physical edition)
• End of 2020 PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X (digital)
• Early 2021 PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X (physical)

We are unfortunately unable to ship both digital and physical editions at the same time due to various production reasons related to the global pandemic.

Will Control Ultimate Edition give me access to Control on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5?
We will offer a free next-gen digital upgrade for those who buy Control Ultimate Edition on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. For more information on eligibility, stay tuned to our website and community channels.

What if I purchased the original version of Control previously?
The free upgrade path to Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 version of Control is only available for Control Ultimate Edition.

Where can I find out more information?
Head on over to www.controlgame.com or be sure to follow us over on our social media channels to stay up to date with the latest info on Control.
So to be clear on this:
The "Ultimate" edition on PS4/XO is identical to owning the base game + DLC. It's really just a re-branding of the Deluxe set. Weird, but fine. Whatever.
The "Ultimate" edition, though, allows you to take advantage of the next-gen upgrade. So play on PS4/XO now, then play PS5/XSX enhanced versions when available. Neat.

But if you already own the game + DLC, which, as I said, is identical on current generation systems? Tough shit, losers. Either re-buy the exact content you already own as a standalone re-release, or get nothing.

I'm not one to complain about shit like this for the most part, but this is pretty egregious, in my opinion. I'm not looking for free handouts or anything like that. But when the "ultimate" version on PS4/XO is identical to what you already down, how does it make any sense that "Ultimate" owners get the upgrade but you don't?

The Questyen 08-12-20 11:17 AM

I really don't get the entitlement gamers have on things like this. When I bought Control a year and a half ago on PS4 I didn't expect that with that purchase I was going to be given for free a copy of that game on every system going forward.

If I want to play it again on PS5 and it's not backwards compatible then I understand that I need to purchase it again.

I can understand free upgrades for games on the old system that release around the time a new system releases like Cyberpunk but i don't expect every game that released on PS4 that gets a new version on PS5 I'm going to get for free.

When Nintendo started re-releasing all these Wii U games on Switch I didn't expect that I was going to be given a free copy since I owned the WiiU versions.

Dan 08-12-20 11:47 AM

I think you're missing the point entirely. The point is that the actual game in the PS4/XO "Deluxe Edition" (plus bug fixes/patches, of course) released in 2019 is identical to the actual game in the upcoming PS4/XO "Ultimate" edition in every way. The only difference, at a cheaper price even, is that the latter will allow you to claim a PS5/XSX version later, while the former cannot. It's not about "entitlement" at all. I don't complain about GOTY/Ultimate editions. I don't complain about $10 cross-gen upgrades or remasters. But this decision makes no sense. If the "Ultimate" edition was only available for next-gen PS5/XSX systems, you'd have a fair point, and I think you'd only see a handful of people upset (and they'd be silly). I sure wouldn't care. There's been a ton of "Remastered" or upgraded releases this generation. That's nothing new. But this issue is different than any of those cases because the current generation re-release is no different than what millions of people already have installed.

Someone who bought the game on day 1, installed every patch, and bought the DLC, has the exact same content as someone who buys the "Ultimate" edition on the same system. That's not a big deal. Even it being cheaper is no big deal, since that happens with GOTY editions all the time. But only the latter "qualifies" for a next-gen upgrade later because of how/when they installed the exact same game. It's dumb. It'd be like if I digitally bought Fallout: New Vegas and its DLC, but you bought the latter GOTY edition on the same system. You paid less (that's fine!), but we have identical games. It would not make sense for Bethesda to then say that only one of those versions is eligible for an upgrade (paid or not). Yes, they're free to do so, but it'd be very silly to draw some kind of imaginary barrier when both people own the same thing.

mhg83 08-12-20 04:31 PM

You can still play the current version on PS5 / XBSX correct? I dont see the problem here. Its going to be Backwards Compatible. I could see if they blocked you from playing on the Next Gen but that doesn't seem the case here?

RichC2 08-12-20 04:57 PM

So they're basically selling the PS5/XBOX version of Control that just happens to be backwards compatible with the Xbox One and PS4.

Kind of lame about the enhanced texture pack (let's face it, that's what it is) for the new version, but they'll probably sell it for like $5 when push comes to shove, and is likely something Sony/MS is requesting.

Now if they don't unlock the frame rate on the OG version when playing it on the PS5/XBOX then they're just being dicks.

Decker 08-12-20 05:27 PM

:lol: Q has never seen a gaming price or policy he has ever considered unfair or excessive or unprecedented.

I agree that anyone who has the game and all the DLC should be entitled to the upgrade.

Dan 08-12-20 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 13788104)
You can still play the current version on PS5 / XBSX correct? I dont see the problem here. Its going to be Backwards Compatible. I could see if they blocked you from playing on the Next Gen but that doesn't seem the case here?

it's more like this:
Say you bought the Digital Deluxe version today.
Then tomorrow, I buy the Ultimate version.
We both install the game on Friday, both on our PS4s.
Both are games with 100% identical content in every way; mine is literally a rebranding of the version you have. The difference is, I get to upgrade my copy for free in three months, but you don't. If you want to, you have to pay another $40.
say you bought your copy on day one. We still have identical content but only I get a free upgrade later.

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13788119)
So they're basically selling the PS5/XBOX version of Control that just happens to be backwards compatible with the Xbox One and PS4.

Kind of lame about the enhanced texture pack (let's face it, that's what it is) for the new version, but they'll probably sell it for like $5 when push comes to shove, and is likely something Sony/MS is requesting.

MS is at least pushing their Smart Delivery thing, but what 505 is doing with this is the antithesis of that. It's pretty shitty to announce this Ultimate version, for existing consoles, and not have an update path for anyone with identical installations, many of whom paid at least twice as much for the same 1s and 0s.

Now if they don't unlock the frame rate on the OG version when playing it on the PS5/XBOX then they're just being dicks.
I heard a great joke elsewhere. It turns out they're going to double the frame rate... to 30fps. ;)
​​​​​

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13788128)
I agree that anyone who has the game and all the DLC should be entitled to the upgrade.

:up: I'd even be fine paying a reasonable upgrade fee though I know most folks who are mad about this would disagree... But as noted, the PS4/XO Ultimate edition is identical to the PS4/XO Digital Deluxe that many people bought in every way except the free upgrade. As you said, that seems unprecedented here.

Decker 08-12-20 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13788135)
​​​
:up: I'd even be fine paying a reasonable upgrade fee though I know most folks who are mad about this would disagree... But as noted, the PS4/XO Ultimate edition is identical to the PS4/XO Digital Deluxe that many people bought in every way except the free upgrade. As you said, that seems unprecedented here.

I expect that they will back off when the bad press starts to mount. They will certainly require a full game purchase and the season pass purchase, but there really is no upside to not giving free (or at least low cost) PS5 upgrades at that point. Lots of other games will be giving free next Gen upgrades to everyone, this would get some people to buy the DLC who might not otherwise, and let's be honest, they won't be selling any PS5 copies or Ultimate Editions to anyone who already owns the game and the DLC.

RichC2 08-12-20 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13788135)

I heard a great joke elsewhere. It turns out they're going to double the frame rate... to 30fps. ;)
​​​​​

That's what I'm looking forward to this next gen, there is zero excuse for anything to dip below 60 fps (much less 30 fps) with the hardware at hand unless they're doing pure 4k on everything (which is unlikely, they'll DLSS or checkerboard it)

The Questyen 08-12-20 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13788128)
:lol: Q has never seen a gaming price or policy he has ever considered unfair or excessive or unprecedented.

Typical entitled gamer. ;)

When I buy a game for a system I expect that it is going to work on that system and that is all I expect. I don't expect that it is going to be backwards compatible on a future system. I don't expect that they are going to give me a free upgrade for a new version of that game on some future system. Not sure when gamers decided that the video game industry is somehow different than every other entertainment industry and that they deserve everything to be free for them. Games have already been devalued more than at any other point in videogame history and are cheaper to buy than any other time.

Dan 08-12-20 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13788275)
Not sure when gamers decided that the video game industry is somehow different than every other entertainment industry and that they deserve everything to be free for them.

Oh stop with this strawman bullshit. Literally nobody here is demanding everything be free, and every other discussion I've seen about this announcement has been the same. Once again, you've failed to grasp the actual issue and instead of engaging with the topic at hand, you shit on people who have a problem with this very specific, very unique scenario. Everyone who bought the game within the last week (because of the previous vague statement about the game coming to next-gen systems, along with the massive hype about the AWE DLC) are also in the same boat.
These companies can do what they want, and yes they can fall back on "well, we never said that 'Control will be coming to PS5 and XSX' meant current owners would have an upgrade path." But it's a shitty thing to rope in as many people as they can before telling them, oh by the way, you can't upgrade unless you buy the newer current-gen version -- which is identical in every way to the copy you already own -- that we haven't released yet.

​​​​​​This isn't anything like charging for an upgrade or releasing a version exclusive to next-gen, both of which would be less lame but generally fine. This is saying that every current-gen version is ineligible, except for the new (identical) current-gen version with the exact same content that we're re-releasing as Ultimate instead of Deluxe in a few weeks. Show me where this has been done before, please.

If this "Ultimate" edition had been announced as next-gen/PC only, sure some people would be whining, but it would not be the same situation at all. It's specifically because they announced current-gen re-releases along with it, and those offer zero new bits compared to what others already have.

If you actually have an argument to make that doesn't involve lumping legitimate issues with a genuinely new and concerning practice in with "entitled gamers who want everything for free" I'd love to hear it.
​​​​​​

gerrythedon 08-12-20 11:30 PM

Bullshit decision by 505 Games.

Never bought the game, so Ultimate edition for me.

The Questyen 08-12-20 11:38 PM

I still don't see any legitimate issue so I don't have any argument to make. You bought a game on a system and nowhere were you told that purchase was going to entitle to you to a new version on a new system. You still have the ability to play the game on the system you currently own so just play the game.

I own the original game and bought the season pass. I thought Control was a great game but I'm never going to go back and replay it again. If I did want to replay it on PS5 and it wasn't backwards compatible I'd wait for it to be on sale and buy the new version.

Decker 08-13-20 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13788319)
I still don't see any legitimate issue so I don't have any argument to make. You bought a game on a system and nowhere were you told that purchase was going to entitle to you to a new version on a new system. You still have the ability to play the game on the system you currently own so just play the game.

I own the original game and bought the season pass. I thought Control was a great game but I'm never going to go back and replay it again. If I did want to replay it on PS5 and it wasn't backwards compatible I'd wait for it to be on sale and buy the new version.

Okay let’s stipulate that they are under no legal obligation to upgrade everyone who has already purchased the game and the Season Pass. Would you agree that it isn’t a good look for them to give the free upgrade to those who buy it now but not their more loyal customers who have already purchased the game AND the DLC at a higher price already? Don’t you think that does more harm to their image than positive upside? And wouldn’t it make more sense to reward those who showed that kind of loyalty with this upgrade that they have already done and wouldn’t really cost them anything?

Personally I think it makes a ton of sense. I haven’t bought the SP but might have if I knew it gave me a next gen upgrade included. No way I would buy that now.

BTW if you aren’t sure of the answers to those questions I asked, just check Twitter and search for Control Ultimate Edition. The reception is NOT pretty.

Music 08-13-20 06:41 AM

I haven't really liked the new trend of releasing an Ultimate or Complete edition of a game after it has been out for awhile, but it was really not that big of a deal; but this is totally different and comes off as being greedy and anti-consumer, at least against the companies who are not charging for upgrades/enhancements for the next gen which is new.

I really need to stop buying games on sale because I'm going to play them eventually... if this is gonna be a new trend.

The Questyen 08-13-20 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13788340)
Okay let’s stipulate that they are under no legal obligation to upgrade everyone who has already purchased the game and the Season Pass. Would you agree that it isn’t a good look for them to give the free upgrade to those who buy it now but not their more loyal customers who have already purchased the game AND the DLC at a higher price already? Don’t you think that does more harm to their image than positive upside? And wouldn’t it make more sense to reward those who showed that kind of loyalty with this upgrade that they have already done and wouldn’t really cost them anything?

Personally I think it makes a ton of sense. I haven’t bought the SP but might have if I knew it gave me a next gen upgrade included. No way I would buy that now.

BTW if you aren’t sure of the answers to those questions I asked, just check Twitter and search for Control Ultimate Edition. The reception is NOT pretty.

The people who bought the game originally are already getting a benefit in that they got to play it earlier. When i buy a game for $60 I don't expect that a year later when the game is on sale for $20 that the publisher is going to give me $40 back. I also don't get mad at the people who are buying the game at a cheaper price.

Also using bad reception on the internet as your defense is laughable. Gamers throw a tantrum online about everything whether it be games being exclusive to one system or the other, games being diverse and having any sort of social justice message, etc.

Dan 08-13-20 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13788447)
When i buy a game for $60 I don't expect that a year later when the game is on sale for $20 that the publisher is going to give me $40 back.

Is anyone demanding this? No. That's completely irrelevant.

I also don't get mad at the people who are buying the game at a cheaper price.
Is anyone doing this? No. That's completely irrelevant.

Also using bad reception on the internet as your defense is laughable. Gamers throw a tantrum online about everything whether it be games being exclusive to one system or the other, games being diverse and having any sort of social justice message, etc.
Yes, keep grouping all of those kinds of morons together with people who have concerns about Remedy/505's unprecedented practice of offering identical content (PS4/XO Deluxe Edition in 2019 & PS4/XO Ultimate Edition now) where only one set of users has a path to upgrade later while the other doesn't.

Decker 08-13-20 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13788447)
The people who bought the game originally are already getting a benefit in that they got to play it earlier. When i buy a game for $60 I don't expect that a year later when the game is on sale for $20 that the publisher is going to give me $40 back. I also don't get mad at the people who are buying the game at a cheaper price.

You do realize that doesn't answer any of the questions I asked, right? I have already stipulated that the game studio is under no obligation to do the upgrade. But don't you think it's a bad look to give the update to people who buy the identical content now at a discount and not to those who have already bought it?

What if, hypothetically, it wasn't an upgrade but a patch that made the game perform better and it was only available to new buyers of the game and not to those who already owned it? Wouldn't you think that would be a bad precedent from a PR standpoint?

And lest you think it's just random online entitled gamers who feel this way :

The Verge
Now, this game is good. It’s really good. But I’m not sure I’d recommend that anyone buy it a second time (even at a reduced price) just to get a free update for the upcoming consoles. Once should be good enough. A few other studios, including EA, Ubisoft, CD Projekt Red, and Bethesda, have already committed to giving free updates to people who already own some of their recent and upcoming titles.

If you bought Control at its original price when it came out, along with each DLC as it was released, you would have spent $85. I think that should earn you a free upgrade. At the very least, offering a very steep discount on a next-gen upgrade seems like the next best thing.

According to VGC, Microsoft allegedly doesn’t want publishers to charge for next-gen upgrades, suggesting that developers working on cross-gen titles, like Control’s Ultimate Edition, should make next-gen versions available at no extra cost. That’s what 505 Games is technically doing by offering a new version of the 2019 game, but it’s a move that grifts early buyers.

Push Square

Essentially, what this means is that if you own a PS4 copy of Control right now, and even the Season Pass on top of that, you will now have to fork out cash for another version. That is despite you already owning the exact same content that the Ultimate Edition has to offer. As we said, this new version is just the bundling together of the base game, patches, and DLC. The only thing to it is that it allows for a free PS5 upgrade.

This is quite the controversial move from Remedy and publisher 505 Games at it flies in the face of what every other gaming company is doing right now. For a full list of all free PS4 to PS5 game upgrades announced so far, head on through the link. Unfortunately, you won't find the base version of Control on there.

Eurogamer

The "Ultimate Edition" includes Control and its two expansions. That's it.

This means you could still buy Control today ahead of its intriguing upcoming Alan Wake crossover expansion AWE which arrives on 27th August, and not be eligible. And, of course, the majority of people who bought Control at launch and might have already paid for additional content too are SOL completely.

An extraordinary FAQ page from publisher 505 Games states the following:

"Will Control Ultimate Edition give me access to Control on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5? We will offer a free next-gen digital upgrade for those who buy Control Ultimate Edition on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. For more information on eligibility, stay tuned to our website and community channels.

"What if I purchased the original version of Control previously? The free upgrade path to Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 version of Control is only available for Control Ultimate Edition."

We've contacted Remedy and 505 Games for comment.

If you find any articles from a mainstream gaming news website that supports this decision, or explains why it makes sense, rather than questioning or criticizing it, please post the link here. I haven't found any.

Dan 08-13-20 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13788502)
You do realize that doesn't answer any of the questions I asked, right?

Seems to be a common theme.

And there's a bigger discussion to be had about what "cross-generation" upgrades really mean in a time where consoles are now based on standard, iterative architecture. In the past, every console generation was different enough that backwards compatibility wasn't really embraceable at scale, so while some griped about it, it was a big :shrug: for most people. Microsoft made huge leaps in being able to bring significant Xbox and 360 BC to Xbox One. And their whole "Smart Delivery" (which, yes, is marketing, but also an ethos for what good policies can look like) is a step in the right direction. But that's because going from this generation to the next, there's no longer an architectural barrier to making games work. And, for what it's worth, Remedy/505 aren't saying the current PS4/XO 1s and 0s of the game won't work at all on PS5/XSX. They're just saying some PS4/XO owners can upgrade later, and some PS4/XO owners can't, despite owning identical installed software on identical machines.

Nobody is saying developers/publishers have to embrace this cross-generation stuff at all. But if they're going to embrace it in a half-assed way -- where two people with the exact same 1s and 0s on their consoles are given entirely different upgrade paths -- that's shitty. And people are right to call it out for what it is. Especially when the console-makers are trying to make it as easy as possible for them to have the tools to do it the user-friendly way.

edit: It's also quite telling that, in their major live stream today, they showed off the new DLC, and they talked about a lot of stuff they're bringing to the game in addition to the new DLC, along with a free update this month with better checkpoints, etc.... but they didn't even mention the Ultimate Edition of the game at all. Nobody expected them to address the "controversy" over the release, but really... avoiding even mentioning the new version entirely. I wonder why they'd do that. Huh.