Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-02-18, 08:43 PM   #26
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Bypassing a spot in gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post

I have to call the publishers up and get them to cut me past this part. I spent money on this and I can't play the same part of the game for weeks. This is nonsense.
Developers/Publishers don't owe you anything because a portion of the game is too difficult for you

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 05-02-18, 09:36 PM   #27
davidh777
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder if the OP missed a gear upgrade or something that would make the combat more manageable.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2018 | Drive-In 2018 | Leap Day 2016
Old 05-04-18, 01:32 PM   #28
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I wonder if the OP missed a gear upgrade or something that would make the combat more manageable.
That's actually a good point... it could be that they haven't been upgrading the skill tree the best way, or maybe haven't been doing enough side quests to earn XP to use to build up skills.
Old 05-07-18, 09:25 AM   #29
Rob V
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Coral, I'm not pointing this out to make fun of you (ok, maybe a little) but my 10 year old finished this game on Friday. He just turned 10 too... so, hang in there.
Old 05-07-18, 06:26 PM   #30
Coral
DVD Talk Legend

Well I've gotten past the point I was stuck on for a few days... just tried it hundreds of times to finally get through and to be honest I got a little lucky as well.

So now I'm stuck at another battle - big surprise. And it's been days as well.
Once again, I go into battle with being stripped of the ammo just before I got there. So I have to battle like 15 of these a-holes with only 20 bullets for my regular gun, 3 shotgun shells and like 5 arrows. That's it.
I honestly don't see myself getting past this stage, and apparently I'm VERY close to finishing the game.
Old 05-10-18, 05:10 PM   #31
Coral
DVD Talk Legend

Finished!

I am the greatest Tomb Raider of all time.

Thanks to those who assisted and motivated me by comparing me to their 10 year old son.

I'm about 15 years removed from gaming, so going from that point to now - I'm blown away by how much things have advanced... graphically, AI and gameplay-wise.

This really was an amazing game. Can't believe how big this TR universe was.
I still think they need to have an even easier setting for the battles, because it gets repetitive fighting the same battles over and over. For people like me who are more into the environment and puzzles and not mindless shooting, most of those battles felt like chores. Having a much easier setting opens the game up to more people like me and widens the games audience. Why not sell more copies if you could?

I'll have the think about whether I want to go through the upcoming game in the fall if the battles are just as daunting.

Anyone play the previous game? Worth playing?
Are they planning to patch it for the One X?
Old 05-10-18, 06:33 PM   #32
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Legend

The original reboot was great. I don't think they did anything to boost it for the One X. The next one comes out in September though and that will be optimized for One X.
Old 05-11-18, 12:44 AM   #33
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, Tomb Raider is fun. Luckily the story in 'Rise' isn't too reliant on the events of the first game, so it should still be fun to see a more amateur Lara doing her thing and learning to survive. I had started playing it again after watching the new movie, and it still looks pretty good.

That said, I can see you potentially getting pretty angry if you get stuck and see those death scenes over and over again.

Old 05-11-18, 07:08 AM   #34
Rob V
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
The original reboot was great. I don't think they did anything to boost it for the One X. The next one comes out in September though and that will be optimized for One X.
I echo this sentiment... great game. Climbing the tower was amazing.. you'll know it when you get there.
Old 07-07-18, 10:51 PM   #35
Coral
DVD Talk Legend

A few weeks ago the digital version of Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (they couldn't think of a better name than that?) was on sale for $7 - so I jumped on it.

Just finished it today. Great game.

It was much easier and less frustrating than Rise of the Tomb Raider (which is still a great game anyway). I found the game was less bogged down in battle sequences where I had to continue to play them out over and over and found myself frustrated as hell. The battles were tough, but not overly so.

I also liked that there wasn't nearly as much backtracking as in Rise - which was also a little annoying.

Can't wait for the new one in the fall.
Old 07-08-18, 07:26 AM   #36
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Godfather

This one was easier because you came into it as the greatest Tomb Raider of all time.

But seriously, they're both amazing games. I'm glad you powered through and enjoyed them.
Old 07-08-18, 02:40 PM   #37
Coral
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
This one was easier because you came into it as the greatest Tomb Raider of all time.
Excellent point.

But yea, it definitely seems like when they made Rise they figured they needed to make the battles tougher with the hope of drawing people who are into shooters or something. I think it backfired because it took away from the adventure and got bogged down in button mashing and scrambling.

The talk is that Shadow will be more stealth action instead of straight on battles. This will be a welcome change as it's a more strategic and methodical way to handle the action/battles.

Last edited by Coral; 07-09-18 at 08:37 AM..
Old 07-08-18, 06:19 PM   #38
fumanstan
DVD Talk Godfather

It's funny, I really recall Tomb Raider being much more difficult then Rise. There were a few times where I saw so many of those damn death sequences.