Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: MONSTER HUNTER WORLD: Xbox One X / PS4 Pro

Well damn!

Old 01-28-18, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
no offense taken. i know i'm kind of a just one genre player (FPS).
ugh, really? hours for 1 hunt? dammit. Can you save midway or anything? What’s the save system like?
thanks, but i am still so curious. and it looks so damn good. And, I want something new, different to play and get into...
Seriously I would Redbox this one first. I haven’t played it but have played other Monster Hunters and just couldn’t get into them. They’re so slow and grindy and you either like that or you don’t. If I have to grind, I want at least a compelling RPG story to keep me interested.
Old 01-28-18, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts

Originally Posted by zero
Well damn!

So it's actually two event quests in Monster Hunter to get you a costume to look like Ryu or Sakura. And they have one now to get Aloy outfit(from Horizon Zero Dawn -- I assume on the PS4 only).

Monster Hunter: World will have collaboration event quests with Street Fighter V
by Kite Stenbuck, 28 January, 2018
At a live presentation in today's Taipei Game Show 2018, Monster Hunter: World producer Ryozo Tsujimoto has made a brand-new announcement that this highly popular hunting game will have collaboration event quests with Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition.
In a similar fashion to Horizon Zero Dawn's Aloy, these event quests will reward materials that let you create one-piece costume armors that will turn your hunter's appearance into Ryu and Sakura. Capcom is also planning to release new gestures like Hadouken and Shoryuken as DLC.
Tsujimoto has also announced that Ryu's event quest will commence in mid-February, while Sakura's quest will follow at a later date. If you have a save data of Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition in your console, you will also be able to have an early access to these event quests.

Monster Hunter: World has been released worldwide for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on January 26 (with a PC release coming later this fall), and you can also read our review of this phenomenal game. If you are playing the PS4 version, you can currently access the exclusive event quest to obtain Horizon Zero Dawn's Watcher gear for your Palico until February 8.
Old 01-28-18, 11:08 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Seriously I would Redbox this one first. I haven’t played it but have played other Monster Hunters and just couldn’t get into them. They’re so slow and grindy and you either like that or you don’t. If I have to grind, I want at least a compelling RPG story to keep me interested.
yeah, i know you're right. i don't really redbox stuff. what do you mean by "grindy"? can you save mid-grind? i am just so piqued by this game for some reason. looks very compelling and the reviews are just glowing. i yearn to try something new. variety is good, within limits, of course...
Old 01-29-18, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I put over 20 hours in over the weekend. Still love it but it's not for everyone.

By grindy what he means is you have to keep repeating hunts/quests to get materials to craft/upgrade your gear. I ended up having to hunt the t-rex looking monster 5 times to get a specific item I needed to upgrade my bow. The game does have a linear story but you'll spend most of your time re-running hunts to get materials and level up.
Old 01-29-18, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I find the fighting kind of clunky and excessive. Plus, there is no physical damage caused by the thousand strikes and that takes me out of the game just a bit. I'm going to give it a few more hours but it feels like more of a chore than fun.
Old 01-29-18, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What do you mean by no physical damage? Monsters definitely change how they look as you fight them down. Especially when you "break" their sections.

With every (almost every?) monster, you can cut their tail off if you focus it with your attacks. The tail drops materials you can only get from it.
Old 01-29-18, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
By grindy what he means is you have to keep repeating hunts/quests to get materials to craft/upgrade your gear. I ended up having to hunt the t-rex looking monster 5 times to get a specific item I needed to upgrade my bow. The game does have a linear story but you'll spend most of your time re-running hunts to get materials and level up.
Strange, sounds similar to another popular game around these parts
Old 01-29-18, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

What do you mean by no physical damage? Monsters definitely change how they look as you fight them down. Especially when you "break" their sections.

With every (almost every?) monster, you can cut their tail off if you focus it with your attacks. The tail drops materials you can only get from it.
From the few fights I have been in and some of the longer ones I have watched, you see no cuts or bleeding on the monsters. I know you can cut tails off but there is not much to see. I also think the number of hits to take down a monster could be toned down a bit. Guessing on which of the hundreds of hits will take him down is a bit much.
Old 01-29-18, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
From the few fights I have been in and some of the longer ones I have watched, you see no cuts or bleeding on the monsters. I know you can cut tails off but there is not much to see. I also think the number of hits to take down a monster could be toned down a bit. Guessing on which of the hundreds of hits will take him down is a bit much.
I can tell you for sure there's plenty of physical changes. I have a weapon with fire on it. As I take down dragons, I can see holes appear in their wings; they get all frayed.

When a monster is close to dead you'll see it drooling and limping around. It's not as obvious on some monsters.

I agree about the hits but I have to assume it's due to the scaling of weapon damage. If they scaled it up, higher tier weapons would probably make it too easy.
Old 01-29-18, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Is there a tutorial video for complete newbies to this game? I have played for a couple of hours, but I feel lost with the complexity of it. I can't even figure out where the beacon is when the hunter calls out to me telling me to follow him.

I have a feeling I'm not going to have the patience to master this game.
Old 01-29-18, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Is there a tutorial video for complete newbies to this game? I have played for a couple of hours, but I feel lost with the complexity of it. I can't even figure out where the beacon is when the hunter calls out to me telling me to follow him.

I have a feeling I'm not going to have the patience to master this game.
Complete newb here as well. I've been reading and watching a lot of videos on Polygon's MH section. Also on Youtube, Arrekz is a great resource. He just started doing individual tutorial videos on each weapon, but I think as of now he's only got Charge Blade up.

https://www.polygon.com/monster-hunt...anteen-slinger
https://www.youtube.com/user/ArekkzG
Old 01-29-18, 09:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

I put over 20 hours in over the weekend. Still love it but it's not for everyone.

Does that get monotonous?
Old 01-30-18, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

It's grindy.
Old 01-30-18, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

This game's pretty great, but I'm ~10-12 hrs in and still a little overwhelmed by the systems.

I'm never sure if I'm crafting the right armor, or if I should be grinding now or wait until higher levels, I can not get a multiplayer match to start on my own (always have to join one that's been posted or respond to SOS), and, my most current gripe, when I'm out hunting one monster, I'm constantly getting wrecked by another one (which is actually kind of cool because more often than not the two monsters end up fighting each other).

I'll stick with it for as long as I can, but I don't see myself pouring hundreds of hours into this one like a lot of die-hard fans do.
Old 01-30-18, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you lopper. Been playing for around 10 hours now and there's sooooo much you can upgrade/buy/sell that I've got analysis paralysis. Note: I did spend quite a few resources upgrading my cat for some reason.

As for multiplayer, the only way I can join with a buddy of mine is I have to physically take a picture of my session ID and send it to him.

Really enjoying it so far and see myself putting in a ton of time over the next few months.
Old 01-31-18, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I put in a lot of time with this today and its really starting to click.

The systems (crafting, multiplayer, etc) are at the very least not as intimidating as they were. Basically, as early as we are, it sounds like you can pretty much just craft whatever you want. Mats are still easy enough to come by, so if you don't like one thing, then craft something else.

And I've just been jumping into other random games, or responding to an SOS. Its easy to take out a monster in 10 minutes or so, grab your loot, rinse and repeat to get whatever you need.
Old 01-31-18, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The challenge ramps up quite a bit later on in the story. You really have to consider what weapon/armor you bring to fights so you're attacking with their weakness and using armor resistant to their strength.
Old 02-01-18, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What's the easiest way to just expedition with a friend? I was able to go on quests, but when they join your online session it doesn't put you in the same "instance" of the game unless you invite them to do a specific quest which they need to accept. After the quest is over, you are again separated.

I want to just roam around with a buddy, no timer, doing whatever we want.
Old 02-01-18, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What's the easiest way to just expedition with a friend? I was able to go on quests, but when they join your online session it doesn't put you in the same "instance" of the game unless you invite them to do a specific quest which they need to accept. After the quest is over, you are again separated.

I want to just roam around with a buddy, no timer, doing whatever we want.
After a quest you can both return to camp rather than the town instance and "expedition" in the area. They didn't make it easy to team up for non-mission play.
Old 02-01-18, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know that's what has been said, but that hasn't worked for me. My friend is given the option to return to camp, but when the timer ends, it just sends me back to the main base.

Do I have to ignore the timer and manually send myself back to a camp?
Old 02-01-18, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are they joining you via a quest or SOS flare? I think you need to start a quest and leave together (rather then them joining you in the field) to get the option to explore after.
Old 02-01-18, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We both are in the same session. I then initiate a quest, and they accept the quest. When it says we are both ready to go, I head to the exit, and then it delivers us both to the same spot.
Old 02-01-18, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We both are in the same session. I then initiate a quest, and they accept the quest. When it says we are both ready to go, I head to the exit, and then it delivers us both to the same spot.
Hmm, I think you should both have the option to return to camp or homebase if that's the case. You would use R3 to toggle between the two before the end timer expires.

I could be wrong on the steps though. I know for sure you can do it but it's not something I've done often. I usually hop into hunt parties with randoms.
Old 02-01-18, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm, didn't even know about that R3 toggle. Hopefully I'll be able to try it later tonight. Thanks!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.