DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   MONSTER HUNTER WORLD: Xbox One X / PS4 Pro (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/642814-monster-hunter-world-xbox-one-x-ps4-pro.html)

gerrythedon 01-25-18 09:37 PM

MONSTER HUNTER WORLD: Xbox One X / PS4 Pro

Looks like we have a killer sleeper game, I never played franchise but might get this. Getting great reviews across so far

9.5 Amazing from IGN

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HBxeTJusD2M" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gamespot 8.0
Metacritic 91% (46 critics)

OldBoy 01-25-18 09:56 PM

Re: MONSTER HUNTER WORLD: Xbox One X / PS4 Pro

Looks great, but is this more 3rd person or RPG? Never got into those full on RPG’s...

fujishig 01-25-18 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13255073)
Looks great, but is this more 3rd person or RPG? Never got into those full on RPG’s...

This is more like online co-op. You basically have to team up with others to take down the bigger monsters, which results in better drops (split evenly) to upgrade your armor. At least that's how every other iteration of this series has gone (which is amazing because it's primarily been a franchise on nintendo systems in the recent past and the online for those systems sucks).

This iteration does have a rather lengthy single player campaign/quest structure but no way you'll be able to tackle the bigger beasts or get the better equipment that way.

gerrythedon 01-25-18 10:17 PM

Free w/ purchase

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTdA5prUQAEj-87.jpg

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/monster...Name=GONZALEZ&

OldBoy 01-25-18 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13255076)
This is more like online co-op. You basically have to team up with others to take down the bigger monsters, which results in better drops (split evenly) to upgrade your armor. At least that's how every other iteration of this series has gone (which is amazing because it's primarily been a franchise on nintendo systems in the recent past and the online for those systems sucks).

This iteration does have a rather lengthy single player campaign/quest structure but no way you'll be able to tackle the bigger beasts or get the better equipment that way.

That review seemed to only talk SP. I just want to make sure I can handle it. Ive played light rpg’s, but not full on Skyrim level stuff, which this doesn’t exactly seem to be...

spainlinx0 01-26-18 08:03 AM

I'm picking this up for Xbox One. Feel free to add me to your friends list.

The Questyen 01-26-18 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13255107)
That review seemed to only talk SP. I just want to make sure I can handle it. Ive played light rpg’s, but not full on Skyrim level stuff, which this doesn’t exactly seem to be...

Monster Hunter games are not rpg's in the way you're thinking. There are probably hundreds of thousands of hours of people playing Monster Hunter on YouTube if you want to get a feel for what the games are like.

Noonan 01-26-18 09:19 AM

Couple of my guild mates in FF convinced me to pick this up even though I'm mid Lost Sphere and Mario Odyssey runs. Went with PS4 so I can group up with them. I'll be on this weekend.

mattysemo247 01-26-18 12:27 PM

I tried the beta on PS4 and for the life of me couldn't get into it. I think I ended up killing two of the three monsters though, but the game felt very sloppy and felt very Japanese inspired (if that makes sense).

Aloy from Horizon is also a PS4 exclusive, which I thought was kinda cool.

RichC2 01-26-18 12:36 PM

So is this for PS4 Pro / Xbox One X exclusive or does it work on the regular Xbox One and PS4 as well? THREAD TITLE CONFUSIONS!

Noonan 01-26-18 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13255459)
So is this for PS4 Pro / Xbox One X exclusive or does it work on the regular Xbox One and PS4 as well? THREAD TITLE CONFUSIONS!

It works on the standard consoles. I don't have a Pro and got it on PS4.

mattysemo247 01-26-18 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13255459)

Have you seen his other thread title? :lol:

THE EVIL WITHIN 2: Xbox One (s/x), PS4 (pro) & PC

I'm not sure what's worse, the giant ass photos that aren't in spoiler tags or the thread titles.

Maxflier 01-26-18 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 13255446)
I tried the beta on PS4 and for the life of me couldn't get into it.

Yeah, I was always curious about this series because it seems like it would be cool as shit, but I played the beta and didn't care for it at all.

RichC2 01-26-18 05:19 PM

That IGN Video Review made the game look like a late gen PS2 game to me.

fujishig 01-26-18 05:51 PM

Aw man the steelbook was for preorders only. Oh well, guess I'll wait.

OldBoy 01-26-18 10:12 PM

Anyone actually get and play yet? What other games, I would know is it akin to?

mattysemo247 01-26-18 10:23 PM

Monster Hunter

The Questyen 01-26-18 10:49 PM

If you want to know what its akin to watch a video of it. It's not difficult.

OldBoy 01-26-18 10:53 PM

I did, looks good. But only 13 gb download? I thought this was a lush, open world. How long could campaign be at only 13?

Noonan 01-27-18 08:51 AM

It’s amazing, IMO. If you like games where you grind out mats to make and upgrade gear and weapons, it’s for you. If you want a more classic action game like Tomb Raider you probably won’t enjoy it.

I’m playing on a standard ps4 on a monitor and it looks beautiful. Maybe not AC Origins in 4K beautiful but it looks great.

OldBoy 01-27-18 12:28 PM

so, is this like an open world game, with a decent story campaign or just level up and stuff and go from monster to monster smashing them?

Decker 01-27-18 12:48 PM

That question is actually answered in the Video above.

OldBoy 01-27-18 01:15 PM

well, it's a little confusing. in the review at the very beginning he says it's co-op, but the entire review sees only 1 player. and he said 50 hours to complete story? that's a fucking lot. and he said hundreds more to fight the biggest baddie. seems gorgeous and yet so complex at the same time. just so unsure...

mhg83 01-27-18 06:30 PM

No offense OldBoy but I don’t think this game is a good fit for you. The hunts are very time consuming. It’s not one of those pick up and play for a few minutes. You’ll need to spend a few hours a day if you wanna make progress.

OldBoy 01-27-18 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 13256275)
No offense OldBoy but I don’t think this game is a good fit for you. The hunts are very time consuming. It’s not one of those pick up and play for a few minutes. You’ll need to spend a few hours a day if you wanna make progress.

no offense taken. i know i'm kind of a just one genre player (FPS).
ugh, really? hours for 1 hunt? dammit. Can you save midway or anything? What’s the save system like?
thanks, but i am still so curious. and it looks so damn good. And, I want something new, different to play and get into...