Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2017

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-17, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 407 Posts
Re: The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2017

9. Night in the Woods (PS4)

This game would deserve a spot on my list for its look alone but thankfully it's also a really fun adventure game. It's got a great cast of characters, manages to make a engaging story about depression, and rewards exploration where you find cool story beats in unexpected places.
Old 12-28-17, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

8. SteamWorld Dig 2 (PS4)

I loved the first SteamWorld Dig game so I was super excited when they announced a sequel and surprise I love the sequel also. They didn't try to reinvent the wheel with 2 but instead improved on pretty much every aspect of the first game. For anyone unaware the game is a sort of metroidvania with the focus on digging down instead of your normal left to right movement. There are tons of things to unlock, loot to collect, and dungeons which are more puzzle orientated to shake things up. They've also created quite a fascinating universe with these SteamWorld games and I can't wait to see what the creators do next.
Old 12-28-17, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I guess most of it is cosmetic. But there are three DLC courses there. I'm pretty sure I heard in a review that there weren't very many courses in the base game. Or at least that you had to grind to unlock them?
It's not Hot Shots Golf if there isn't at on of grinding, though...
Old 12-29-17, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

7. Life is Strange: Before the Storm (PS4)

This prequel had no right being this good. A different team working on it and different voice actors (due to the actor strike) were a recipe for mediocrity but somehow they created a fantastic game and a worthy Life is Strange entry. So many great moments from playing Dungeons & Dragons to acting in The Tempest combined with a well written love story at the center of it all. Even with it being a prequel and we know how it turns out I still enjoyed every minute.
Old 12-30-17, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Since Before the Storm is a prequel, should one play it before the original game?
Old 12-30-17, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Since Before the Storm is a prequel, should one play it before the original game?
No you should still play it after.
Old 12-30-17, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I'm only an episode or two into the prequel, but I would say no. Get the original experience, then supplement it with the prequel.
Old 12-30-17, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, much more of an emotional impact if you play it after the original.
Old 12-30-17, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My top 6 was incredibly difficult to put in order. Depending on what day you asked me any of them would be my favorite game of the year. So here goes...
Old 12-30-17, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

6. What Remains of Edith Finch (PS4)

I was pretty excited for this game pre-release since I was a big fan of the developer's previous game The Unfinished Swan. The core of the story is you are returning to your childhood home and going room to room learning about your cursed family. Yes this is a walking simulator but this is the one I would recommend over all others as a game to play for people who don't normally like the genre. It plays out like an anthology movie with each family members story playing out with a different style of game and different art styles to match. With these type of games it's hard to go into too much detail without spoiling but I can't recommend it enough for people who enjoy a good story.
Old 12-30-17, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

5. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)

I didn't expect what started as an add-on to Uncharted 4 to be my favorite Uncharted game in the series. The dynamic between Chloe & Nadine was a welcome change of pace from the Drake Bros and a rare videogame with two female leads that also passes the Bechdel test. The shorter game length (compared to the main games in the series) lets them focus down on fun gameplay that doesn't wear out its welcome and a twist filled plot.
Old 12-31-17, 12:58 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
16. Doki Doki Literature Club (PC)

Looking at the screenshot you probably think this is another one of those anime visual novel games that are all over Steam. Well it is one of those but it quickly becomes something more...

Like Pony Island that was on my list last year the less you know about this game the better and it's FREE on Steam.
I played through this last night. Good recommendation, although I did like Pony Island a lot more. My only real issue with DDLC is that
Spoiler:
It took me two hours to get to the first tragedy, and I was speeding through the text (reading it, but clicking as quickly as I could). It really was trying my patience up to that point with all the poetry/dating stuff
but when this game gets weird and dark, boy does it get weird and dark!
Old 12-31-17, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts

8. SteamWorld Dig 2 (PS4)

I loved the first SteamWorld Dig game so I was super excited when they announced a sequel and surprise I love the sequel also. They didn't try to reinvent the wheel with 2 but instead improved on pretty much every aspect of the first game. For anyone unaware the game is a sort of metroidvania with the focus on digging down instead of your normal left to right movement. There are tons of things to unlock, loot to collect, and dungeons which are more puzzle orientated to shake things up. They've also created quite a fascinating universe with these SteamWorld games and I can't wait to see what the creators do next.
Alright, Q, I just bought the Switch version on sale for $14.99 (25% off) in the eStore. My son liked the first one and I was looking to add to our new Switch's library. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 12-31-17, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

4. Pyre (PS4)

Supergiant is responsible for two games I love Bastion and Transistor so I was super excited for their next release. Then I found out it was some sort of sports rpg and I was far less excited. I never should have doubted them because Pyre is my favorite of the 3. Polygon describes it as "What happens when you mix basketball, fantasy rpgs and a visual novel" and that's a better description then I will ever come up with. The "sports" part of the gameplay eases you in gradually but later on becomes quite challenging. This was the part I was least looking forward to and it's actually really fun. The story and voice acting are amazing with some of my favorite characters in a videogame in years. Pyre's plot relies a lot on choices you make and these choices are more difficult and important then anything you see in most games with choice as a narrative tool (Telltale games for example). I stared at the screen for like 5 minutes multiple times during the course of the game agonizing over a decision I had to make. And just like their two previous games Supergiant are masters at creating worlds that I am absolutely fascinated by.
Old 12-31-17, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

3. Tacoma (XB1)

Fullbright's previous game is Gone Home (one of my favorite games of all time) so I knew I was going to enjoy the story but they went over and beyond just "making a Gone Home in a space station". Tacoma provides a gameplay relevant way to get the story by your character having an AR device allowing you to manipulate scenes to get more info to progress through the game. It gives it more of a puzzle solving aspect than your average game in the genre. I got a lot of enjoyment out of searching for every last piece of info I could about the crew members of the Tacoma. If you enjoy walking simulators this was my favorite of the year.
Old 01-01-18, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)

I was late to the party with Horizon Zero Dawn. I generally don't care for open world games and disliked the Killzone series (the previous Guerrilla Games franchise) so I wasn't planning on playing it. Once the amazing reviews started rolling in I figured I'd give it a shot later in the year. Breath of the Wild came out around the same time and I was knee deep in that game so didn't want to play another "open world type" game so close together so I held off on it for months. When I did eventually get around to it I was sucked in immediately. The game looks fantastic easily one of the best looking games I've ever played and has incredibly detailed dinosaur robots. The combat does a great job of staying fresh by allowing different ways to attack each situation and having a plethora of weapons/tools at your disposal. But where the game really shines is in the story of Aloy and the world they created. As you can see by my list up to this point I gravitate to games with good stories and interesting worlds and Aloy's world fascinated me to no end.
Old 01-01-18, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)

The Mario series is my favorite series in gaming and while I've enjoyed the 3D entries I generally prefer the 2D titles. Odyssey blows the other 3D titles away and moves in to second place on my favorite Mario games list (behind Super Mario World). Nintendo has out done themselves with this one from the great visuals, the new Cappy mechanic, and the embracing of Nintendo's history which culminates in my favorite moment in videogames this year. It controls like a dream and in typical Mario fashion Odyssey is easy enough for everyone to play but provides deeper challenge for those who want that also. I never got bored searching for moons to collect and exploring each unique world. Super Mario Odyssey is one of those games that I can't imagine anyone disliking.
Old 01-01-18, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Damn it. You are making me want to get a Switch now.
Old 01-01-18, 12:51 PM

Gotta say I totally agree with your top 2. Loved Horizon Zero Dawn so much. A week into Mario Odyssey, I'm just blown away by the quality of the title and just how many fun, different things there are to do. And every new thing you do or encounter nets you a Moon! What a brilliant concept the cappy is a and it's so well executed. Just consistent surprises. I have a grin pasted on my face constantly.
Wish I was better at it or had more hit points though.
Old 01-01-18, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Damn it. You are making me want to get a Switch now.
Do It! I'm so impressed with their exclusive games and having so much fun. So are the kids, and my daughter never games on the PS4 or Xbox One outside of Telltale Games and Life is Strange.
The switch concept, picking up the console and playing in the bedroom or on the go just works so well.
I never touched the Wii, skipped the WiiU entirely but I'm totally sold on the Switch
Old 01-01-18, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Do It! I'm so impressed with their exclusive games and having so much fun. So are the kids, and my daughter never games on the PS4 or Xbox One outside of Telltale Games and Life is Strange.
The switch concept, picking up the console and playing in the bedroom or on the go just works so well.
I never touched the Wii, skipped the WiiU entirely but I'm totally sold on the Switch
My buddy has one and was trying to talk me into it. He showed me a picture of him playing it at his in-laws, so I laughed and said that might be best way to sell me on it.

I skipped the WiiU. I've always loved Zelda and Mario, but sort of grew out of them as i got older. But damn it if these 2 releases haven't made me think those franchises are growing with their fanbase.
Old 01-01-18, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks everyone who read and commented I quite enjoy making these every year.
Old 01-01-18, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to post! I enjoyed it.
Old 01-02-18, 12:21 AM

Thanks for your list, Q. It was an entertaining read as always even if our tastes don't always coincide. I do appreciate your only including one walking simulator this year (and I did like Unfinished Swan, so that is intriguing).

I've already bought two Switch games on your list based on your recommendations (Mario + Rabbids and Steamwold Dig 2) and I'm thinking long and hard about buying Pyre (currently on sale for $9.99 for a couple more weeks) despite my near-certainty that it will be a PS Plus freebie before I ever play it.

It's not actually a game, but the Hot Wheels DLC for Forza Horizon 3 would be in the running for my Game of the Year if it wer a stand-alone. It's truly fantastic fun.
Old 03-06-18, 07:00 PM

9. Night in the Woods (PS4)

This game would deserve a spot on my list for its look alone but thankfully it's also a really fun adventure game. It's got a great cast of characters, manages to make a engaging story about depression, and rewards exploration where you find cool story beats in unexpected places.
I'm just getting into this game now with my 16 year old daughter. She absolutely loves everything about it, especially its cynical sarcastic humor really speaks to her. Got a digital code on sale at Amazon recently. Playing some last night I thought to myself "This would be right up Questyen's alley. I wonder if it's on his 2017 list". OF COURSE it was.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.