Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Game Awards 2017

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-17, 11:12 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Re: The Game Awards 2017

I couldn't take anymore and bailed after the A Way Out trailer. Doesn't looked like I missed anything.
Old 12-08-17, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Are these industry awards or just public vote results?
A mix, but mostly industry.

Nominees for The Game Awards are selected by an international jury of 51 global media and influencer outlets, selected for their history of critically and editorially evaluating video games.
The winners in most categories are determined by the international jury (90%) and a public fan vote (10%) across TheGameAwards.com and Google Search Voting. In the categories of Best Esports Game, Best Esports Player, Best Esports Team, Most Anticipated Game, and Trending Gamer, the public fan vote across Twitter DM, Facebook Messenger, TheGameAwards.com and Google Search Voting solely determines the winner.
Originally Posted by OldBoy
Why isn’t this on SpikeTV anymore? That guy Geoff Keighley used to have that show, GameTrailers. Used to love that show! Where did that go? Anyway, didn’t he host or narrate this or whatever?
Probably because the majority audience for gaming is basically entirely streaming online now via Twitch or YouTube rather then a cable TV network. And yeah, Geoff is the one behind these shows.
Old 12-08-17, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Spike TV was poison to TGA. Glad to see it off television networks.
Old 12-08-17, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm sadden, shocked yet not surprised Horizon: Zero Dawn came away empty handed despite in six categories......

Besides NO Zero Dawn.....
No Destiny 2
No COD WWII
No Assassins Creed Origins
No Fortnite

The Most Anticipated Game even though The Last of Us Part II won but all are worthy and could've gone to any of them.

I am glad Hellblade and Wolfenstein won and Overwatch has been solid...but so has Fornite come on strong and Warframe with the recent Plains of Eidolon DLC. Overwatch gets in two categories and wins both; Zero Dawn in six and nothing....sorry but I don't believe in coincidences....
Old 12-08-17, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Eh, Horizon did a lot of things well but nothing amazingly imo. So I kind of get that it'd lose out in most categories to games that focus specifically on one thing, with art direction (Cuphead), Narrative (What Remains), etc;

That said, I do think they should do it like some TV/Movie awards, where if you win Best of the Year, you're disqualified from the smaller genre categories (ie: Game of the Year would disqualify you from Best Adventure Game), but I guess that's hard to do with blind voting.
Old 12-08-17, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, I don't see the "conspiracy" against Horizon when it gets beaten out by Zelda in 3 of those major categories (GOTY, Game Direction, and Action/Adventure), which is one of the best reviewed games of all time.
Old 12-08-17, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The awards for Cuphead last night got me to finally go out today and grab a copy. Picked up the Best Buy version. I'm just going to keep the case sealed since the code printed on the receipt anyways. Just a fun thing to put on the shelf