Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Which new console generation had the least impressive leap in specs and abilities?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Which new console generation had the least impressive leap in specs and abilities?
Second Generation (Atari 2600, Magnavox Odyssey2, Intellivison)
3.70%
Third Generation (Nintendo Entertainment System, Master System)
0%
Fourth Generation (Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo)
3.70%
Fifth Generation (Sega Saturn, PlayStation, Nintendo 64)
11.11%
Sixth Generation (PlayStation 2, GameCube, Xbox)
11.11%
Seventh Generation (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii)
3.70%
Eighth Generation (Wii U, PlayStation 4, Xbox One)
66.67%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Which new console generation had the least impressive leap in specs and abilities?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-17, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts
Re: Which new console generation had the least impressive leap in specs and abilities

Originally Posted by Rival11
Wow, I was expecting the sixth generation to be a blowout - that is the generation that made me quit gaming.

Eighth? Really guys?
Despite your personal experiences, the PS2 was a hugely successful and beloved console.
Old 05-09-17, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Which new console generation had the least impressive leap in specs and abilities

I think most people would answer the question thinking about graphics, and the PS1 to PS2 generations was a pretty big leap, especially given the PS1 was the first introduction to 3D and polygons. Those graphics are rough and most games are hard to go back to.

I didn't really think about how great the resume feature is on consoles these days, that actually is a big plus this generation. I still can't imagine voting for the PS3/360 generation since it made so many other features standard like wireless controllers and solidifying online experiences (not just multiplayer, but things like digital stores).
Old 05-09-17, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah, you're right, the standardizing of HD/16:9 output, Wireless Controllers, Online Stores, Apps and Online Play were defining features for the PS3/360. So I guess I can't really say that was the least impressive leap forward, as it was basically game consoles becoming HTPCs instead of game consoles (despite some of this existing beforehand on the Xbox and lesser so on the PS2). I just found most of that generation really boring.
Old 05-09-17, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, this isn't a discussion about the MOST impressive leap. I agree, the Seventh Generation would probably win that with everything the PS3 & 360 brought to the table. It also introduced a completely new format with Blu Ray. Saying that, the Eighth Generation is the LEAST impressive leap IMO, since the biggest thing we got with PS4 & XB1 are better graphics and the resume feature.
Old 05-09-17, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah, you're right, the standardizing of HD/16:9 output, Wireless Controllers, Online Stores, Apps and Online Play were defining features for the PS3/360. So I guess I can't really say that was the least impressive leap forward, as it was basically game consoles becoming HTPCs instead of game consoles (despite some of this existing beforehand on the Xbox and lesser so on the PS2). I just found most of that generation really boring.
Yeah, as a primarily PC guy all the console generations kind of blur and feel like they've been playing catch up to PC anyway. But on the flip side, it made the weak technical specs of the current generation stand out more to me.
Old 05-09-17, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
the Eighth Generation is the LEAST impressive leap IMO, since the biggest thing we got with PS4 & XB1 are better graphics and the resume feature.
Minus a couple dozen features as well.
Old 05-09-17, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree--have to go with the latest generation. Honestly, I'd still be playing my 360 if several of the titles I love hadn't become "One" only, plus I get backward compatibility. But when I switched, I was expecting a major difference...and it was kinda like...yeah, I guess it is a little better...
Old 05-09-17, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Minus a couple dozen features as well.
Come on, a couple dozen? What are the notable features that would make it better than the seventh generation?
Old 05-09-17, 08:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sixth generation to be a blowout - that is the generation that made me quit gaming.
I'm sure a lot of us would like to hear you elaborate on this. I don't like the PS2 personally, but the generational leap overall was as clear as any other.

The Xbox in particular was a hell of a piece of hardware for the time.
Old 05-09-17, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by wtsang
The Xbox in particular was a hell of a piece of hardware for the time.
A lot of what the 360 gets credit for perfecting began with the orginal Xbox. HD gaming, broadband only online gaming, arcade games, a hard drive for updates/DLC.

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Come on, a couple dozen? What are the notable features that would make it better than the seventh generation?
Exaggerating of course.
Old 05-10-17, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Also WTF @ the Dreamcast not being listed in the initial poll.
Old 05-10-17, 08:56 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

I dunno guys... Gen 1 to Gen 2 was pretty basic.
But I do agree, generally, that Gen 7 to Gen 8, while technically the biggest leap in specs, is probably the most imperceptible difference to average folks. Gen 7 allowed for a big bump in graphical improvement and features, and introduced the popularity of small/indie games. So with Gen 8, with all that in place, the only way it can be distinguished from Gen 7 is in regard to graphical improvements of AAA-type games and the re-introduction of VR. That improvement is there, and obvious to those paying attention, but otherwise, I don't think most people care that much. MS tried to push the "cloud computing" thing at the very beginning of Gen 8, and I still kind of wish that was somehow harnessed more (although I kind of get why it wasn't), but technically speaking, that could have worked on Gen 7, too.

Also, for what it's worth, the Switch/PS4Pro/Scorpio generation could be considered Gen 9. In a way, it should be, but that's another discussion altogether.
Old 05-10-17, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dan
Also, for what it's worth, the Switch/PS4Pro/Scorpio generation could be considered Gen 9. In a way, it should be, but that's another discussion altogether.
All three should have been what launched Gen 8.
Old 05-10-17, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I wouldn't consider them Gen 9.
Old 05-10-17, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
All three should have been what launched Gen 8.
All three would've failed due to astronomical price points.
Old 05-10-17, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I feel like the development costs have skyrocketed with the technology, so you have many smaller studios (and many Japanese studios) staying with seemingly last gen stuff with some minor improvements, or going full retro. That also means AAA games that push the technology take longer to develop... I think EA admitted that part of why the latest Mass Effect game seemed dated is because it was in development for so long. This also means that companies fill the gaps with remakes and re-releases which won't be as impressive to people who owned the last gen.

Otherwise if you take the best of the best, stuff like Horizon Zero Dawn compare to last gen or Breath of the Wild compared to Wii games is a pretty astonishing leap.
Old 05-10-17, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Gen 8.5!
Old 05-16-17, 04:15 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for all of the replies.

I wonder if the majority of console gamers also think that the eighth generation of consoles have a less impressive leap in specs and abilities compared to previous generations.

Last edited by Sub-Zero; 05-16-17 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-16-17, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig

Otherwise if you take the best of the best, stuff like Horizon Zero Dawn compare to last gen or Breath of the Wild compared to Wii games is a pretty astonishing leap.
Yep, pretty astonishing leap here. It's a wonder how Nintendo pulled it off.