Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the Nintendo Switch the start of the ninth generation of video game consoles?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Is the Nintendo Switch the start of the ninth generation of video game consoles?
Yes.
0%
No.
100.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Is the Nintendo Switch the start of the ninth generation of video game consoles?

Old 01-31-17, 06:05 PM

Old 01-31-17, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Is the Nintendo Switch the start of the ninth generation of video game consoles?

If it's less powerful that the current generation of consoles, then no.
Old 01-31-17, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Is the Nintendo Switch the start of the ninth generation of video game consoles?

I vote no and feel like it's Nintendo releasing a second system in the current generation of video game systems. That said, it feels like we may start thinking less in terms of "generations" when describing consoles the way lines are being blurred with this portable/home console hybrid and the mid generation upgrades like the PS4 Pro and Scorpio and what that may do to future successors.
Old 01-31-17, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
If it's less powerful that the current generation of consoles, then no.
Do you consider the Wii to be part of the same generation as the GameCube, Xbox, and PS2, or the Wii U to be part of the same generation as the PS3 and 360? (Not saying that's wrong or anything; just curious.)

Personally, I'd prioritize year of release over power. Wii is 7th gen. Wii U started the 8th gen.

When it's all said and done, though, I think I might lump the Switch and the Wii U as both being 8th gen. If Sony or Microsoft had true successors coming before the end of 2018, I might feel differently. Aargh, though, the fact that it's a new architecture and won't natively play games from its predecessors...if that's not a new generation, what is?

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
That said, it feels like we may start thinking less in terms of "generations" when describing consoles the way lines are being blurred with this portable/home console hybrid and the mid generation upgrades like the PS4 Pro and Scorpio and what that may do to future successors.
Totally agree.
Old 01-31-17, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is Gen 8rev2 along with the PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio
Old 01-31-17, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, they are getting ready to enter the seventh generation to compete with the PS3 and 360. At least that section of the market is wide open now
Old 01-31-17, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think the cheese stands alone here. It's a weird tweener console. I'd say 9th gen starts when the PS5/NextBox hit.
Old 01-31-17, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nintendo consoles are irrelevant IMO.
Old 02-01-17, 12:12 AM

Nintendo consoles are irrelevant IMO.
Nice.
Old 02-01-17, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What fumanstan said....

I'm not sure there will be a line of delineation regarding "next gen" anymore. Technically the X1 S or PS4 Pro could be that... maybe Scorpio will be that... but that's my point, making incremental upgrades every 2-3 years might be the new norm instead of developing from the ground up.
Old 02-01-17, 04:16 PM

Pretty clear Sony and MS either wanted incremental updates to become the new norm or felt pressured to go that way because of the smartphone model. Rumblings about Pro sales are starting to indicate it isn't really working out, though. I'd be surprised if the response to Scorpio ends up being much different than the response to the Pro.

If, in fact, both "premium" consoles underperform in sales, we could end up with clearly defined generations once again. Would be perfectly fine by me.
Old 02-02-17, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I gotta say, there is nothing better than opening up an all new console -- the joy it brings makes me feel like a 12 year old again. I didn't get that joy when I got my X1 S... but the PS VR was damn close.

wtsang, I agree with you... I think that despite production and launch costs, Sony and MS will be forced to rebrand and deliver a "new" console every 5-7 years to stay top dogs... despite console refreshes every few years.
Old 02-02-17, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wtsang View Post
Pretty clear Sony and MS either wanted incremental updates to become the new norm or felt pressured to go that way because of the smartphone model. Rumblings about Pro sales are starting to indicate it isn't really working out, though. I'd be surprised if the response to Scorpio ends up being much different than the response to the Pro.

If, in fact, both "premium" consoles underperform in sales, we could end up with clearly defined generations once again. Would be perfectly fine by me.
It will be fine by me as well. I'M not spending 400 bucks on a "premium" console that plays the same games that my regular console does but makes them look "prettier."
Old 02-02-17, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Count me out on the smartphone model as well. If I'm dropping $400 on a console, I want a new and decidedly better machine not an incremental upgrade.
Old 02-02-17, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I won't be buying any of the midway consoles like the One S or Scorpio. Until Microsoft or Sony make it where games won't play on an older model console I see no point in upgrading.

As far as the Switch I guess I don't really know how to classify it. It's the successor to the Wii U but at the same time it's not a huge upgrade graphically or anything. Either way I don't really care as I'm interested in it and will buy it at some point.
Old 02-02-17, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll get a Scorpio... not for HD gaming but for the VR. I think that's just a kick-ass technology that has so much potential.
Old 02-02-17, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think VR is cool but I also see it as being just another gimmick. I might be interested in some games but I'm not going to spend crazy money on a new console and VR gear. That's just me though. I can see why it may interest some enough to buy into it.
Old 02-02-17, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So far I think the PS4 Pro has been worth the upgrade to me. The load times have significantly improved and I can notice the frame rate differences in some of the games. Games like Rise of the Tomb Raider took full advance of those features and let you mess around with different options and I hope to see other games do that as well. It also helped PSVR run smoother too.
Old 02-02-17, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's not really a black and white thing anymore. If we judge simply by power, it is no. By innovation? Maybe yes. The Wii was certainly the start of something different. It's influence was enough for the big two to run out and come up with something the combat it (Kinect and Move). Will the Switch inspire more powerful, mobile gaming solutions? Guess we'll have to see, but there just doesn't seem to be too much excitement surrounding it (or the.5 PS4/XB1 updates).

As far as the blurred generational lines we have know with these incremental updates, I think the cell phone analogy fits perfectly. I'l be skipping the the Scorpio and Pro, as they both seem like a stop gap to what could be coming next.
Old 02-02-17, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I still love the mid console generation upgrade thing, mostly because I considered both the PS4 and XB1 fairly weak and underwhelming. Plus, as long as both companies maintain that the older consoles are still compatible, there's no real negative for anyone who doesn't want to upgrade. Choices are nice.
Old 02-02-17, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To me it's almost at a point though where there's not a lot of reason to buy a console anymore and I might as well just get a computer that I can upgrade on my own. Before with consoles you bought the and they had a shelf life for a good chunk of time before a new one was out. Now if they're going to upgrade the existing consoles more frequently there doesn't seem to be much of a point.
Old 02-03-17, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wtsang View Post
Rumblings about Pro sales are starting to indicate it isn't really working out, though.
I have heard rumblings completely opposite of that.
Old 02-03-17, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's an under-powered Android tablet...so no.
Old 02-03-17, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I still love the mid console generation upgrade thing, mostly because I considered both the PS4 and XB1 fairly weak and underwhelming..
I agree but supporting this business model will only make things worse in the long run. If this model is successful then next time out it could easily become, "how can we gimp this system so we can have an upgrade model later?"

I'd much rather them focus on putting out the most kick ass system from the start.
Old 02-03-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
I have heard rumblings completely opposite of that.
Sony's recently said that it's selling at or slightly above expectations. It's hard to tell though, because there were tons of Slim bundles and sales around the holidays so it's natural that people would go for the cheaper option. I don't know how sales could possibly be "stronger then the Slim" as they said though.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/son.../1100-6447489/

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I agree but supporting this business model will only make things worse in the long run. If this model is successful then next time out it could easily become, "how can we gimp this system so we can have an upgrade model later?"

I'd much rather them focus on putting out the most kick ass system from the start.
I might feel that way if there was only one company in the business, but with both Microsoft and Sony making "high end" systems I don't see that happening unless they collude to purposely keep consoles weaker.