Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-16, 06:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Are those rumors saying it will actually launch on Wii U first?
Old 11-14-16, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by wtsang
Are those rumors saying it will actually launch on Wii U first?
Emily Rogers is saying localization is supposedly going a lot more slowly than expected, and that slows down testing/QA. She says to take it with a grain of salt too, so...

Multiple folks are saying the 3D Mario title is done / extremely close to being done, so maybe that'll be the marquee draw instead. Or maybe the Zelda thing is a bum rumor and they'll both be there on day one.
Old 11-15-16, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I wonder if the battery on this will be shit? I mean, we already know it has a short life, but will it leak charge when not in use? My Wii controllers leaked batter life when off so badly, that I had to remove the batteries after powering down, or else I'd have to change batteries every time I turned it on. And the U, I don't thing I've ever played without the controller plugged into an electric socket, as the battery drains after about a week or two, and that's about how long I go in between each time I use it, or rather used - it's been a while now.
Old 11-15-16, 01:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF they have a mainline Mario title ready at launch I don't think a Zelda delay would be a big deal. They just need something representative of full-on Nintendo first-party quality on Day One, unlike with the Wii U.

From the company's perspective, it may even be preferable. No cannibalization of each other's sales in the launch window, and they're guaranteed to have another huge title in the chamber to keep momentum going.

If they really have been working behind the scenes to prepare a full library, it's about to pay off.
Old 11-15-16, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by wtsang
If they really have been working behind the scenes to prepare a full library, it's about to pay off.
If that's even remotely true they need to reveal their hand to get people behind this thing. They're coming off their worst console ever and have to convince people they aren't wasting their money this time out. They need the sizzle reel to end all sizzle reels.

Originally Posted by slop101
My Wii controllers leaked battery life when off so badly, that I had to remove the batteries after powering down, or else I'd have to change batteries every time I turned it on.
The Wii's problem was that the slightest bump of any button would turn them on and try to sync, wasting the battery.
Old 11-15-16, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

GAME leaked prices as well. $250 w/ some sort of demo disc and $200 with a smaller hard drive and/or less accessories. Maybe the docking station?

So with two different leaks now, $250 sounds like it's going to be the launch price.
Old 11-15-16, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Emily Rogers is saying localization is supposedly going a lot more slowly than expected, and that slows down testing/QA. She says to take it with a grain of salt too, so...

Multiple folks are saying the 3D Mario title is done / extremely close to being done, so maybe that'll be the marquee draw instead. Or maybe the Zelda thing is a bum rumor and they'll both be there on day one.
Do you know if the 3D Mario game a new game or some port of the Super Mario World 3D from the Wii U?

If it's a brand new game that will be enough for me to get the Switch. If not, I'll probably just get Zelda for the Wii U.
Old 11-15-16, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a short shot of it in the reveal video. Did it look like the Wii U game? I haven't played that.
Old 11-15-16, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Do you know if the 3D Mario game a new game or some port of the Super Mario World 3D from the Wii U?
If it's what Nintendo showed in the Switch teaser, it's a new game. Super Mario 3D World has more of an isometric camera, and the teaser showed a straight-up 3D game.
Old 11-15-16, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
If it's what Nintendo showed in the Switch teaser, it's a new game. Super Mario 3D World has more of an isometric camera, and the teaser showed a straight-up 3D game.
Cool thanks. I didn't watch the teaser. I've played exactly two games on my Wii U so far and that cost more, so I guess I can rationalize a $250 console for a Zelda and Mario game.
Old 11-16-16, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Quick summary of the current rumors for Switch games (many of which multiple leakers have been reporting):
  • Splatoon as a pack-in for the deluxe model of the Switch (with a new 1v1 mode and the ability to change weapons mid-match, as well as more single player content)
  • 3D Mario Switch at launch (it reportedly has an open world hub with multiple objectives, similar to 64 and Galaxy)
  • Skyrim at launch
  • Mario Kart Switch within 3 months of launch (Mario Kart 8 with new tracks, characters, and improved battle mode)
  • Zelda missing launch but following within a few months
  • Super Smash Bros. coming but not at/very near launch (with the Bayonetta and Cloud Amiibo held back until it releases)

That's not supposed to be a complete list of games, of course, but that's what's being talked about.

EA's CFO said:

“In terms of Nintendo, in their announcement they announced that we’ll be supporting with a game or two on that new platform. We haven’t yet announced what game, but you should assume that it’s one of our bigger games we’ve been involved with.”

“We’re excited for Nintendo, it’s an interesting device, but I can’t yet predict how broad it’s going to be, and will people be interested in a portable device alongside their regular portable device that they have.”
So, that could be neat. Looks like Mass Effect: Andromeda has already been shot down as a possibility. Maybe something sports related?
Old 11-16-16, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Not interested in any of those. I'm still waiting on Nintendo's franchises that have gotten the shaft the last two gens to make a comeback(Waverace & FZero to name a couple).... and Pikmin 4. Always down for more Pikmin.
Old 11-16-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

That was an interesting quote from EA. "were excited, but we're not sure if customers will be"
Old 12-02-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So have they said anything about Nintendo ID and the switch? Would be nice to login and still have VC purchases.
Old 12-02-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by stingermck
So have they said anything about Nintendo ID and the switch? Would be nice to login and still have VC purchases.
They haven't said a peep about Virtual Console carrying over or not.

We do know there'll be a central account system, though:

Old 12-02-16, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

I thought they said that this new system will not be compatible with any existing games...
Old 12-02-16, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah but Virtual Console is different since its digital and has been on several platforms.
Old 12-02-16, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

They haven't said a peep about any of this stuff and they're already said they won't be showing or talking about it until January. Not sure why people can't comprehend that and keep trying to guess and read rumors and state that as facts.
Old 12-02-16, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
They haven't said a peep about any of this stuff and they're already said they won't be showing or talking about it until January. Not sure why people can't comprehend that and keep trying to guess and read rumors and state that as facts.
Because rumors are fun discussion. And most of the rumors about the Switch prior to the announce were actually true.

That said, not sure if you're referring to any specific post here since the last bump was just a simple question if there was anything new.
Old 12-02-16, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Yeah, and nothing was stated as a fact either, so no clue what you are going on about.
Old 12-02-16, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All we have is their M.O.

VC will be on Switch, but there's no reason to think we won't have to re-buy (again) because there has never been any unified account before recently.

I would love to see that all my VC purchases from Wii and 3DS be grandfathered into Switch, but I'm not holding my breath.

We even had to pay to "upgrade" from Wii to WiiU versions of VC before.
Old 12-02-16, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Music
Yeah, and nothing was stated as a fact either, so no clue what you are going on about.
You literally just said like 5 posts up "I thought they said that this new system will not be compatible with any existing games..."

My statement was reiterating the fact that they haven't said anything about it and they won't until January.
Old 12-02-16, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You literally just said like 5 posts up "I thought they said that this new system will not be compatible with any existing games..."

My statement was reiterating the fact that they haven't said anything about it and they won't until January.
http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/21/13...-wii-u-support

A Nintendo representative confirmed to Polygon today that the Nintendo Switch will not be compatible with Nintendo 3DS cartridges or Wii U discs. It does not appear from our limited glimpse of the hardware so far that either the Switch console or its dock includes a disc drive at all, although Nintendo has not commented on that.

When asked if the Nintendo Switch will support downloadable games — whether they’re Switch games or titles released on previous systems like the 3DS — the representative told Polygon that Nintendo isn’t discussing specifics on that front. For the time being, Nintendo fans can hold out hope that they’ll be able to play downloadable Wii U and 3DS games on the Switch.
So Nintendo has said some information about it. You can also infer a lot based on technical specifications and limitations and knowing that the Switch is a different architecture from the Wii/Wii U and at least make some educated guesses about compatibility with the previous generation. Which is also fun for some people to speculate on and discuss, which I guess doesn't help your ire at such talk
Old 12-02-16, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That statement says that it won't work with 3DS cartridges or Wii U discs not that it won't be compatible with any existing games. I don't care about people speculating or discussing that's all fine I was just stating why do people keep asking questions that no one here has the answer to and Nintendo has said they won't answer until January.
Old 12-02-16, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That statement says that it won't work with 3DS cartridges or Wii U discs not that it won't be compatible with any existing games. I don't care about people speculating or discussing that's all fine I was just stating why do people keep asking questions that no one here has the answer to and Nintendo has said they won't answer until January.
Right, that's why I specifically said Nintendo has provided some information about compatibility in response to your comment that haven't said a peep, which isn't quite true. Not to be nitpicky about wording or speak for Music, but Nintendo's comments do cut out a big chunk of playable games from their previous consoles and Music specifically said he "thought" Nintendo had said something about it, not that it was a fact.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.