Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-19, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

My son needs another set or two of the controllers "Joy con"? Those things aren't cheap ($76 on Amazon)... is there another, cost friendly solution?
Old 01-07-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
My son needs another set or two of the controllers "Joy con"? Those things aren't cheap ($76 on Amazon)... is there another, cost friendly solution?
What does he need them for? They go on sale every once in a while but it's still like 65 or so.

If he's just playing Smash or whatever, you can get the gamecube adapter, especially if you have gamecube controllers lying around. There are several adapters that will allow you to sync up a PS3, PS4, WiiU, etc. controller and those work pretty well, though without features like HD rumble and in some cases, gyro. The pro controller is pricey but probably the best supported way to play a game that doesn't need the joycon features. And there are other third party controllers like 8bitdo that have dual analog as well in a controller that looks more like a snes controller.

But if you're playing ARMS or something that needs joycons, first party is pretty much the only way to go.
Old 01-07-19, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
What does he need them for? They go on sale every once in a while but it's still like 65 or so.

If he's just playing Smash or whatever, you can get the gamecube adapter, especially if you have gamecube controllers lying around. There are several adapters that will allow you to sync up a PS3, PS4, WiiU, etc. controller and those work pretty well, though without features like HD rumble and in some cases, gyro. The pro controller is pricey but probably the best supported way to play a game that doesn't need the joycon features. And there are other third party controllers like 8bitdo that have dual analog as well in a controller that looks more like a snes controller.

But if you're playing ARMS or something that needs joycons, first party is pretty much the only way to go.
He needs them for the latest Mario Party... so the Pro Controller will work? I've seen that for $45 or so.
Old 01-07-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I got Mario Party bundled with extra joycons for $99, seemed like a good deal
Old 01-07-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mario Party will only work with joycons, it's one of the only games like that (because the mini games use the joycon features). So yeah you'll have to shell out for more.
Old 01-07-19, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

He needs them for the latest Mario Party... so the Pro Controller will work? I've seen that for $45 or so.
I'm pretty sure Mario Party requires joycons and doesn't support the pro controller. You need them for the mini games.
Old 01-07-19, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh... ok, appreciate the input. Not sure why they're so expensive... seems like a scam to me.
Old 01-07-19, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ugh... ok, appreciate the input. Not sure why they're so expensive... seems like a scam to me.
There is a significant amount of tech in them, if you think about it. But I have three problems with them:
1. They are poorly designed. Dust will get into the stick and cause it to drift. This doesn't even count the problems they had at launch.
2. They can't even give you a way to charge them. Even the system doesn't have a charging grip. So unless you buy another grip, you have to alternate charging your original ones with these on the system itself. They hold a charge so that's fine, until you want to play Mario Party with all four and only two are charged.
3. Just release one with a regular d-pad. Please.

The thing that's a scam is the dock. There's no reason an extra dock needs to be so expensive.
Old 01-08-19, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

1. They are poorly designed. Dust will get into the stick and cause it to drift. This doesn't even count the problems they had at launch.
Is there a fix for that? I'm having the same issue with my pro controller, and spray air didn't do the trick. It helped a little bit, but not completely.
Old 01-08-19, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to return my Splatoon pro controller due to that exact issue. It sucked because they were sold out at that point, so I ended up with a regular one. But I would rather have a functioning controller and the drifting was driving me nuts.
Old 01-08-19, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I had to return my Splatoon pro controller due to that exact issue. It sucked because they were sold out at that point, so I ended up with a regular one. But I would rather have a functioning controller and the drifting was driving me nuts.
I guess I'll have to do that. I've been playing Mario Odyssey and it's really annoying on some of the insane platforming levels when you're getting near the end and Mario suddenly beelines to the left into some lava like an idiot.
Old 01-08-19, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That sucks. I've had my pro controller since launch and put 300 hours+ into it and have never had an issue. Also no issues with my launch joycons.
Old 01-08-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmm... I don't remember there being a big problem on the pro controllers, I'd think their design is different enough that they wouldn't be susceptible to the joycon problem, which only has this little rubber flap covering the base of the stick.

This may be a dumb question, but did you try recalibrating the controller in settings? It will also show you if you have drift.
Old 01-08-19, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoVegan
I guess I'll have to do that. I've been playing Mario Odyssey and it's really annoying on some of the insane platforming levels when you're getting near the end and Mario suddenly beelines to the left into some lava like an idiot.
Funny enough that is the game that I noticed it the most with. The shitty part is I stopped playing the game until I got a chance to return my controller, but never ended up going back to the game. I really need to though since I enjoyed what I played of it.
Old 01-08-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

YMMV, but Target is clearancing out the Pokeball Plus controller. Found them on a clearance endcap with no price tags, but it scanned at $14.98
Old 01-08-19, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yoshi’s Crafted World has a release date (and soon!!)

March 29th

Old 01-08-19, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

That they're announcing the release date like this makes me think we might not be getting a Direct this month as we usually do in January.
Old 01-08-19, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yoshi's Wooly World is one of the most underrated games on the Wii U. I can't wait for this new one.
Old 01-09-19, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

$66.77 now on Amazon and Walmart.

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Joy-Neon-Red-Blue-switch/dp/B01N6QJ58Y?ascsubtag=d7719a59c23bf5b955766afe65fd795e63c7b385&tag=kinjadeals-20&th=1 https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Joy-Neon-Red-Blue-switch/dp/B01N6QJ58Y?ascsubtag=d7719a59c23bf5b955766afe65fd795e63c7b385&tag=kinjadeals-20&th=1
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nintendo-...ype=10&veh=aff
Old 01-09-19, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
As a reminder, if you bought a physical copy of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, be sure to redeem the gold coins sometime in the next couple weeks. They'll email you a code within a few days to redeem the Piranha Plant DLC for free as soon as it's available. It's not a part of the Fighter Pass.

How long did it take for you to get it? It's been over a week now and I still haven't received it.
Old 01-09-19, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
How long did it take for you to get it? It's been over a week now and I still haven't received it.
It says right on the picture available in Feb 2019...
Old 01-09-19, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My mistake. I thought I read where some of you had already gotten it.
Old 01-09-19, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I registered on launch day and it took 3 or 4 days for the code to hit my inbox. It ended up in my "promotions" tab, so check there (or whatever the equivalent is on your e-mail provider) because I'd think you should've gotten your code already.

It says right on the picture available in Feb 2019...
Piranha Plant won't be playable until Feb, but the redemption codes go out a few days after you register.
Old 01-09-19, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh my bad, I thought he meant the actual character. Yeah the codes are out.

its actually kind of dumb. I bought it digitally. Why do they have to send me an email so I can manually input a code?
Old 01-10-19, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tell you what, it's been so long since I have played Smash Bros, it has been kicking my butt. I think if I can ever get used to playing on the pro controller, I will be ok.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.