Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-17, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

So anyone have NBA 2k for the switch, and is it any good? I already have a PS4 version that I've played a lot of, and I assume you can't transfer over your player, but I'm still tempted to have a portable version now that sales are coming in.
Old 11-22-17, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm a bit on the fence on purchasing the switch, I don't play as much as I used to, would you recommend this system? I would call myself a definite casual user at this point.

I have a ps4 and enjoyed the wii during its heyday, I just picked up the snes classic, but my teenage daughter indicated some interest in this system, is it worth the $300?

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-22-17, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
I'm a bit on the fence on purchasing the switch, I don't play as much as I used to, would you recommend this system? I would call myself a definite casual user at this point.

I have a ps4 and enjoyed the wii during its heyday, I just picked up the snes classic, but my teenage daughter indicated some interest in this system, is it worth the $300?

Thanks for the feedback.
I own an Xbox One, PS4 Pro, and Nintendo Switch. I've played the NS a ton this year while the others have sat idle, the main thing being NS games thus far tend to focus on being simple and fun to play. You can pick up and play them for 10 minutes and more or else have the gameplay mastered, know exactly where you are and where you're going. Put it to sleep, resume and still be aware of what's going on.

They aren't trying to mix in labyrinthe storylines or push MMO features and Microtransactions, they're just simple old school entertainment and I think it's perfect for a casual gamer. Especially for those of us that are tired of nothing but FPS titles.

Plus Mario Odyssey and Zelda have been two of the more entertaining titles I've played in quite some time.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-22-17 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-22-17, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2
I own an Xbox One, PS4 Pro, and Nintendo Switch. I've played the NS a ton this year while the others have sat idle, the main thing being NS games thus far tend to focus on being simple and fun to play. You can pick up and play them for 10 minutes and more or else have the gameplay mastered, know exactly where you are and where you're going. Put it to sleep, resume and still be aware of what's going on.

They aren't trying to mix in labyrinthe storylines or push MMO features and Microtransactions, they're just simple old school entertainment and I think it's perfect for a casual gamer. Especially for those of us that are tired of nothing but FPS titles.

Plus Mario Odyssey and Zelda have been two of the more entertaining titles I've played in quite some time.
thanks rich, that's the kind of thing I wanted to hear, or not..
Old 11-23-17, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Just a heads up that some of the BF deals are already live. I just picked up Super Bomberman for $25 at BestBuy.com. I barely missed out on Walmart selling Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Explorer's Edition for $29. Had it in my cart, but it sold out before I could complete the check out process. Damn, that would've been nice!
Old 11-23-17, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

The Walmart deal for "Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle Day 1 Edition" for $29 is live now.
Old 11-24-17, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

^ Just grabbed one at that price since it was on my son's list. What is the Day 1 Edition?
Old 11-24-17, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
^ Just grabbed one at that price since it was on my son's list. What is the Day 1 Edition?
Give you some decently powerful 8-bit looking weapons to start
Old 11-24-17, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I wound up picking up Batman: The Telltale Series Season One from GameStop and Sonic Forces from Walmart as part of Black Friday deals. I was torn between Sonic Forces and Rayman Legends but I’ve played more Sonic games and never really got into Rayman.
Old 11-27-17, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Pro Controller is $59 on Amazon and Target
Old 11-27-17, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting, the joycons are on sale as well (67.99), they're matching Target's 15% off.
Old 11-27-17, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the switch during the Thanksgiving holidays. For some unknown reason, it will not connect to my wi-fi.

It finds my router fine but it will not take the password.

I restarted the switch a few times but still same issue.

I will try a reboot of my router later and see if that helps..

Maybe too many devices connecting to the wi-fi?
Old 11-27-17, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tripplej
Got the switch during the Thanksgiving holidays. For some unknown reason, it will not connect to my wi-fi.

Do you have MAC filtering setup or anything like that?
Old 11-27-17, 01:30 PM

No, I don't think so.. I have very basic knowledge in terms of the wi-fi router. It is a AT&T U-Verse router and I rarely go to the router webpage to play with it. It has the standard stuff that came with the router many years ago.

My wii U works fine and all my tablet's and phone's work fine with the router...

I am just wondering if I reached the cap for the number of devices that can connect to the router??
Old 11-27-17, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish the Pro Controller was like $50 instead of $60. I kind of want to get it but might just wait.
Old 11-27-17, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No, I don't think so.. I have very basic knowledge in terms of the wi-fi router. It is a AT&T U-Verse router and I rarely go to the router webpage to play with it. It has the standard stuff that came with the router many years ago.

My wii U works fine and all my tablet's and phone's work fine with the router...

I am just wondering if I reached the cap for the number of devices that can connect to the router??
If your wiiu works fine I doubt it's an incompatible encryption or wifi type.

Your router probably does the DHCP as well, so you can check in your router settings for that. That's what gives each wireless device an IP address. Since they're dynamically given, unless you specified addresses for certain devices, it should only run out if you have a ton of connected devices taking up all the IPs, and even then you usually provision by default a fairly large pool of them.

If you have MAC address filtering turned on, you can only connect if you add the MAC address of your device to the allowed devices, but it doesn't sound like you have that enabled because otherwise you'd have to do it every time you add a new device.

But you said that the Switch can see the wireless signal fine, but it can't logon. Does it just generate an error? The Switch actually has pretty terrible wifi, so you might also want to check that you have sufficient signal.

Or just reboot and see if it goes away, like you originally wanted to. Some of these modems with built in routers can get funky.
Old 11-27-17, 02:51 PM

I will bounce the router.. These things are very funky. :
Old 11-27-17, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Apologies if this has been asked a million times, but I'm looking into getting a Switch this Christmas for my kids. I have 3 girls all 8 and under. Is there anything that doesn't come in the box with the console that I might want to look into getting? The Joy-Con pieces can be used as 2 different controllers, yes?
Old 11-27-17, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Joy Cons can be used as two controllers for multiplayer games. In the box you get the essentials (tablet, dock, AC adapter, Joy Cons, wrist straps in case the controllers get flung around by kids), and a Joy Con grip (if you want to use the the two individual pieces as a somewhat more traditional controller layout). I’d consider a screen protector, maybe a carrying case, and possibly a memory card (maybe not essential but for the future; a lot of games are self contained though and don’t require installs unless you’re buying digitally).

Oh, and a game or two.

Last edited by Mike86; 11-27-17 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-28-17, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I had issues when first connecting. If you still have issues, don't just put the Switch into sleep mode. You have to actually do a hard reboot. That solved my issues.
Old 11-28-17, 07:59 AM

Yesterday, before anybody got home, I tried the switch to connect and it worked..
I suspect the other day, when everybody was home and all the various devices were turned on, the capacity of the wi-fi was maxed.. So, for time being I am good. Thanks everybody for the assistance.
Old 12-01-17, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

World Heroes just got added to the shop channel, I did a little digging and found out that The Last Blade is coming soon to the shop channel as well! The last time I played that game was on the Dreamcast. Considering what some DCast games go for on the secondary market, 7.99 is a steal!

World Heroes (skip around this is a long video)

The Last Blade

Old 12-05-17, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

My wife found a deal on some Gamestop giftcards, so we pulled the trigger on this early and started playing yesterday.

We only have Super Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild so far ( I found that Walmart exclusive version on Black Friday in the wrong section so picked it up early).

I don't usually care for the 3D Mario games, but I had a lot of fun with Odyssey. I tried for 10 minutes to do a hat jump but couldn't pull it off, hope it's not required to advance in the game.

And the system is so tiny!!
Old 12-05-17, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86
The Joy Cons can be used as two controllers for multiplayer games. In the box you get the essentials (tablet, dock, AC adapter, Joy Cons, wrist straps in case the controllers get flung around by kids), and a Joy Con grip (if you want to use the the two individual pieces as a somewhat more traditional controller layout). I’d consider a screen protector, maybe a carrying case, and possibly a memory card (maybe not essential but for the future; a lot of games are self contained though and don’t require installs unless you’re buying digitally).

Oh, and a game or two.
I did get the switch as a Family Christmas gift, a few questions if anyone can help as I won't be setting this up until Christmas Day.

If I purchase the JoyCons, does that mean I can play 4 player Mario kart with it?

Can I download mariokart or do I need to buy a hard copy of the game?

And what game(s) does this come with? I know I want the new Mario, is that downloadable?

Thanks!
Old 12-05-17, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by zero
I did a little digging and found out that The Last Blade is coming soon to the shop channel as well! The last time I played that game was on the Dreamcast. Considering what some DCast games go for on the secondary market, 7.99 is a steal!
It's been on PS4 for months, same price, pre-sale - Last Blade 2 is on there too, has been for a year now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.