Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-17, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by windom
So a couple of weeks ago, I swapped Switches with my son because he was complaining about flickering on the Switch screen while playing Zelda BOTW.

I started playing Zelda and at first I didn't see the flickering happening. Then I started seeing it every so often. Now it usually happens at least once or twice during a play session (1-2 hours). It's doesn't really affect gameplay as it always stop when I move away from the spot where it started happening. My sons say this doesn't happen on their Switches now. Is this a hardware/GPU issue? Will it get worse? Should I just return it while I still can or should I just keep playing and not worry about it?

Here is a video I made showing it happening. It's a little extreme since I was able to keep it flickering for awhile by staying in the same area.

You say it's getting worse as time goes on, so I would either call Nintendo (1-800-255-3700) or look at getting it returned/exchanged at the store.

I called Nintendo today about the Joy-Con L issue and it only took about 10 minutes or so, including time on hold, so it might be worth going that route for you.
Old 03-25-17, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone should change RGB to Full on display settings. Really makes a difference.I'm
Old 03-26-17, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

I'm still hoping for a Pikmin 4 announcement but I'm not getting my hopes up.
We can only hope for an announcement at E3. I doubt we;ll see anything until 2 years in since WiiU had a great one in its life. Actually, we might see a "remastered" or "deluxe" version since many people never played pikmin 3.
Old 03-26-17, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Miyamoto said Pikmin 4 was nearing completion in 2015. Obviously it'll have to be reworked for the Switch, but if it was truly that far along, it's odd that it's not rumored for the Switch's first anemic year.
Old 03-28-17, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Urgh. Sounds like you should avoid Lego City Undercover on the Switch unless portability and/or co-op mode are absolute must-haves. It's 720p even when docked: the same resolution as the four year old Wii U release. Despite the whole physical media thing, only around 7 gigs of the game are on the card itself, and there's a 13 gig update as soon as you fire it up to get the rest. That's half the default capacity of the Switch! ...and you're paying 3 times as much as the current asking price of the Wii U version for the privilege!
Old 03-29-17, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Rob V
Thanks for trying guys

With my limited free time (crazy job) I really need to snag this online.
bestbuy.com will have some today at noon central.
Old 03-29-17, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

^^ Thank you, sir.
Old 03-29-17, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Were you able to get one? As I post this, the gray model is still in-stock.
Old 03-29-17, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope... had a meeting at 1pm and missed it entirely. At this point I'm resigned to just getting one when they're fully ramped up in production.

I do appreciate you trying to help tho.
Old 03-30-17, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The gray Switch is in-stock on Amazon for Prime members. Don't know how long it'll last, though...
Old 03-30-17, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
The gray Switch is in-stock on Amazon for Prime members. Don't know how long it'll last, though...
Everything seems to exist in 20 minute windows. I went ahead and snagged one from Amazon.

Yesterday Best Buy had them for about 20 - 30 minutes, Walmart today had them for roughly the same.
Old 03-30-17, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^^ Must've missed it... the Grey Con was $390+$25 shipping. I'll wait.
Old 03-31-17, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One of my issues with the Wii U was with unpacking it, it seemed really unprofessional with how many cables and other assorted bullshit was in there. This certainly streamlined that an impressive amount.

But seriously, whoever thought the kickstand and power cable should go on the same side should be fired.
Old 03-31-17, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by RichC2
But seriously, whoever thought the kickstand and power cable should go on the same side should be fired.
Yes. I don't really see anything good about the kickstand as implemented.
Old 03-31-17, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Overall, this has given a pretty good initial impression. The power port location is bullshit as is the lack of direct HDMI output, but otherwise I'm pretty impressed with the overall design of all the parts. I don't like using this thing as a handheld yet, it's kind of uncomfortable, but love being able to use it as a small standalone TV, got to play some Zelda and Shovel Knight outside and enjoyed that quite a bit.

I hope there's a third party attachment/dock to fix the power cord + kickstand issue, and I hope they release, if not a USB-C to Power + HDMI, then a small travel dock of some sort, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 03-31-17, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Urgh. Sounds like you should avoid Lego City Undercover on the Switch unless portability and/or co-op mode are absolute must-haves. It's 720p even when docked: the same resolution as the four year old Wii U release. Despite the whole physical media thing, only around 7 gigs of the game are on the card itself, and there's a 13 gig update as soon as you fire it up to get the rest. That's half the default capacity of the Switch! ...and you're paying 3 times as much as the current asking price of the Wii U version for the privilege!
So it seems like the 13 gig download thing was a misprint or something. However the game still looks terrible and has loading times (on a cartridge!) for full price.

The Switch packaging has been blamed for the bent docks and the scratched screen problem as well. Still blows my mind that they don't even put so much as a piece of tape to seal the system, although that's apparently been Nintendo's Custom on systems for a while.
Old 03-31-17, 11:23 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
Everyone should change RGB to Full on display settings. Really makes a difference.I'm
And that's where the transmission ends. It was his last, no one's heard from him since. Some say he was sucked into a vortex, forever trying to leap to a cliff he needs the hookshot for but he doesn't have it, yet. Others say he was sucked into the Switch itself, becoming one with it. As for me, well, I believe in the hope that cleaver is still out there, nudging the world to change their RGB settings to full-on display. If that's true, the world will be a much brighter place.
Old 04-01-17, 01:55 AM
Banned

I don't like using this thing as a handheld yet, it's kind of uncomfortable
I'm pretty surprised by the amount of times I have heard this already.
Old 04-01-17, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wtsang
I'm pretty surprised by the amount of times I have heard this already.
It isn't a major "wow this is uncomfortable", it's just more comfortable to use to the controllers in other configurations.
Old 04-02-17, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who's all planning on buying Mario Kart this month?

I have the Wii U version but likely will buy again
Old 04-02-17, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I am, although I have slightly mixed feelings, having already bought MK8 on the Wii U along with all the DLC and even updated wheels. I've preordered Joy-Con wheels too since that's what my wife prefers. It's just too fun with local multiplayer to pass up, and it'll be nice to take it on trips and stuff.
Old 04-02-17, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by edytwinky
Who's all planning on buying Mario Kart this month?

I have the Wii U version but likely will buy again
Seriously considering it (if I'm done with Zelda by the time it comes out, that is). I haven't played a Mario Kart in almost 25 years, and it looks pretty fun.
Old 04-02-17, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Stupid question incoming. I'm finally un-boxing the Switch that I bought on Launch Day.

Where the Switch goes into the Dock, there is USB (C) spot? Should I be purchasing a short USB-C cable to charge while it is in the dock? I'm a bit confused on how the Dock works.
Old 04-02-17, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

There's a male USB-C connector at the bottom of the dock, but it's obscured by a spring-weighted plastic thing that's only exposed when the docked Switch pushes it down. You'll feel it connect, but you are kinda flying blind. I just got a USB-C extender and generally don't have to fuss with that (or risk scratching by the dock), but the fit isn't that tight, so I wind up disconnecting it by accident which can be kind of a hassle to reconnect. It's a placeholder until a better designed option is available.
Old 04-02-17, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

There's a male USB-C connector at the bottom of the dock, but it's obscured by a spring-weighted plastic thing that's only exposed when the docked Switch pushes it down. You'll feel it connect, but you are kinda flying blind. I just got a USB-C extender and generally don't have to fuss with that (or risk scratching by the dock), but the fit isn't that tight, so I wind up disconnecting it by accident which can be kind of a hassle to reconnect. It's a placeholder until a better designed option is available.
So the USB-C Extender that you have is connected to the male USB-C at the bottom of the dock? Then your Switch just sits somewhere else outside of the Dock when in Console Mode?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.