Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 03-06-17, 09:18 PM
  #876  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 81,065
Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts
re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Yeah the dock seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 03-06-17, 09:51 PM
  #877  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 62,539
Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Crazy video. Dead pixels are normal? Nintendo?
Old 03-06-17, 10:02 PM
  #878  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,097
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Nintendo Switch Thread - Presentation on Jan. 12th

Originally Posted by stingermck
System launch woes

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Cb-srOfRqNc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Nintendoh
Old 03-06-17, 10:30 PM
  #879  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,082
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Buying a console on the first day or week.
Old 03-06-17, 10:36 PM
  #880  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by EinCB
Buying a console on the first day or week.
Generally is fine
Old 03-06-17, 10:51 PM
  #881  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 76,493
Received 6,348 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Yeah, I bought a PS4, Xbox One and a PS Vita on launch day and they're all perfect still. My only regret is getting the Xbox One with a useless Kinect.

This thing -- yikes. I really wanted to play that new Zelda game eventually, but now I guess I'm going to wait for a redesign.
Old 03-06-17, 11:07 PM
  #882  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,457
Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Not to defend Nintendo but PS4 and Xbox both had some issues at launch, notably Blu ray playback for the One, disk eject and read issues, PS4 controllers seemingly disintegrating over time, etc. the Vita also had stuck/dead pixels.

But this really feels like beta testing and rushing out to market, most notably with what may be the worst launch lineup ever and not even a finalized online strategy. That dock is horrid and there's no reason for it, same with the lack of charging grip, etc. I haven't even touched those strap attachments, they're still in the box. The joycon sync problems and their response to it is terrible. The pixel thing I can kind of understand as that's kind of the standard response for a lot of consumer displays, but they needed to be a little more cognizant of how they were messaging it.

DQ Heroes is either a port from the PS3 or Vita versions, which is terrible, same for skylanders, which does not bode well for future third party games. Not only is the game store bare, there are very few demos and they couldn't even throw in some VC games to fill it out. Their best game, their only game, plays about as well on their last generation system. Game saves are tied to the console, not the cart, not the sd memory card, and there's no way to transfer. While that will stop piracy for oh, about five seconds, that's a whole lotta hassle for everyone else. Accessories are way overpriced... it's a hundred bucks for a second set of joycons and a way to charge them. And friend codes? FRIEND CODES?
Old 03-06-17, 11:13 PM
  #883  
Banned by request
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Goodbye and Good Luck
Posts: 17,800
Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

I dunno, I had a PS4 at launch and have had zero issues with it. I'm sure there are many Switches that work well, but overall it seems like this platform has a much stepper hill to climb. I'm betting now they'll label this a failure sooner rather than later. Not the case with pretty much every other platform.
Old 03-07-17, 08:19 AM
  #884  
DVD Talk Legend
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12,551
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by EinCB
Buying a console on the first day or week.
Tell that to my launch PS3 that is still used weekly . But no one will argue the launch 360 units, the RROD will live on forever!

Originally Posted by fujishig
Not to defend Nintendo but PS4 and Xbox both had some issues at launch, notably Blu ray playback for the One, disk eject and read issues, PS4 controllers seemingly disintegrating over time, etc. the Vita also had stuck/dead pixels.

But this really feels like beta testing and rushing out to market, most notably with what may be the worst launch lineup ever and not even a finalized online strategy. That dock is horrid and there's no reason for it, same with the lack of charging grip, etc. I haven't even touched those strap attachments, they're still in the box. The joycon sync problems and their response to it is terrible. The pixel thing I can kind of understand as that's kind of the standard response for a lot of consumer displays, but they needed to be a little more cognizant of how they were messaging it.

DQ Heroes is either a port from the PS3 or Vita versions, which is terrible, same for skylanders, which does not bode well for future third party games. Not only is the game store bare, there are very few demos and they couldn't even throw in some VC games to fill it out. Their best game, their only game, plays about as well on their last generation system. Game saves are tied to the console, not the cart, not the sd memory card, and there's no way to transfer. While that will stop piracy for oh, about five seconds, that's a whole lotta hassle for everyone else. Accessories are way overpriced... it's a hundred bucks for a second set of joycons and a way to charge them. And friend codes? FRIEND CODES?
Once they get their online network up and running where you have to buy an app to communicate with people and get to borrow a few retro games a month that you have already played a billion times, this system will be on fire! (and if you have a screen protector, it might actually already be on fire!!)
Old 03-07-17, 08:48 AM
  #885  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,719
Received 280 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by fujishig
But this really feels like beta testing and rushing out to market, most notably with what may be the worst launch lineup ever and not even a finalized online strategy.
It launched with a Zelda game that's getting stellar reviews. I'm pretty sure PS2 had one of the worst launch titles in the last 20 years. PS3s wasn't that great either.
Old 03-07-17, 08:55 AM
  #886  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 45,363
Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

^ The Nintendo 64 had Pilot Wings and Mario 64. And that was it.

I eventually bought one because I absolutely loved Waverace.

The PS2 had DOA2, Armored Core 2, Midnight Club, Ready 2 Rumble 2, SSX, TimeSplitters, etc; which really wasn't a bad launch

Let's face it though, you need a Ridge Racer to have a successful launch. The PSX had Ridge Racer, The PS2 launched with Ridge Racer V, The Xbox 360 launched with Ridge Racer 6, The Playstation 3 launched with Ridge Racer 7, Nintendo 3DS launched with Ridge Racer 3D.

What the Switch needed, was Ridge Racer.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-07-17 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-07-17, 09:01 AM
  #887  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,719
Received 280 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

I bought a 64 at launch. Mario 64 still is near the top of all time best game lists even today, so I'd say that's an acceptable launch title. The quantity yeah, 2 games is damn low, but the quality was insane, especially considering the jump from the previous generation.

And Japan did get that Go game as well.
Old 03-07-17, 09:05 AM
  #888  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 45,363
Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Hah yeah, that was the point I was going for. Zelda is literally the highest rated game (meta-wise) to date. It's currently beating out Super Mario Galaxy and Ocarina of Time for the crown. That's pretty solid for a launch title. (Other top games, meta: Super Mario Galaxy 2, Grand Theft Auto IV, Grand Theft Auto V, SoulCalibur (Dreamcast), Uncharted 2, Super Mario 64, The Orange Box, and Metroid Prime.) Of course, this means less since it's also on the Wii U, but not substantially less.

I never got the love for Mario 64, but it was an impressive technological feat. I had more fun with Crash Bandicoot back then.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-07-17 at 09:11 AM. Reason: `
Old 03-07-17, 09:34 AM
  #889  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,781
Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Launches in general don't have the strongest titles really. You're lucky to get maybe a couple strong games but for the most part I don't think the Switch launch lineup is any worse than other consoles. You already have a great Zelda game and will be getting a new Mario by year end. Plus Splatoon 2 is a big title for some people. Those three are pretty heavy hitters for the first year and then you have the rest of what's been announced and whatever else isn't announced.

Last edited by Mike86; 03-07-17 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-07-17, 09:37 AM
  #890  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

http://kotaku.com/the-first-nintendo...pan-1793032877

The Nintendo Switch has sold an estimated 330,637 units in its first three days on sale in Japan.

That’s according to Famitsu, which adds that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild sold an estimated 190,060 copies in the country. That figure is retail only and does not include downloads.

These early figures are from March 3 to March 5, the Switch’s launch week and first three days on sale. (Expect Nintendo to release sales data of its own in the future.)


To put these hardware numbers into context, the Nintendo Wii U sold an estimated 308,570 units in its first two days on sale, with the Wii U’s launch week being from December 8 to December 9, 2012. The Wii, however, sold around 371,936 units in its first two days on sale back on December 2, 2006 during its debut launch week.
Decent numbers, I assume that's basically selling out the initial stock.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...mericas-report

Update: Nintendo of Europe says that Nintendo Switch sold more in its launch weekend than any other Nintendo hardware in history.

What's more, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the biggest-selling Nintendo launch title ever in Europe - beating the previous record holder Wii Sports (which was bundled with the hardware).
Old 03-07-17, 10:06 AM
  #891  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 3,540
Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

My Switch seems to be working just fine. While I've only bought 2 other consoles on launch day, I usually pick up the ones that have interested me within 6 months of launch. The only one that bit me was the Xbox 360 RROD....3 times!!!
Old 03-07-17, 10:53 AM
  #892  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,457
Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Zelda is literally a last gen title ported over to the Switch (this is the second time they did this with a Zelda game). I agree it's a great game, but you can get the same experience minus the portability on their last gen system. No other company would pull this off and be praised for it except Nintendo. Sony could have asked Square Enix to hold back Final Fantasy XII for the PS3 and that would have made an excellent launch title, but they didn't (and hey, you had backward compatibility anyway).

I think there are five physical games at launch.
Zelda: great game, available on Wiiu
Bomberman: I dunno how good it is but the online play is apparently broken
Skylanders and Just Dance: shovelware adapted from last gen (two gens ago?) systems.
12 Switch: great way to demo the system, would have been great if cheaper or included with the system


Then you have snipperclips and a wipeout clone as budget digital only titles.

We have confirmed release dates for five more titles, most of which are remakes.
4/4. Lego city undercover. Dont know much about it but it's like a remake, not a sequel, of the WiiU title, also being released cross platform
4/25. Puyo puyo Tetris. Probably my next purchase, love the demo, also being released digitally for PS4.
4/28. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
5/23. Disgaea 5 complete
5/26. Ultra Street Fighter II the final challengers.

And I think a blaster master game digitally.

Looking back at past launches part of it was the delayed launches in the US. The Japanese launches for a lot of consoles were bare. The PS2 launch doesn't seem so bad to me... sure there are no classics but even early Madden showed off the power of the system.

Last edited by fujishig; 03-07-17 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-07-17, 10:59 AM
  #893  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 12,733
Received 388 Likes on 313 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I've been having a lot of problems with the controllers when the system is on the dock. I'm only about 10 ft away from it, but if I don't maintain line of sight or a certain angle my left stick stops responding. I am up to date on system updates. Pretty disappointing.
Bunk... maybe this video will help you?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/youtuber-...215902207.html
Old 03-07-17, 11:41 AM
  #894  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 16,392
Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by Rob V
Bunk... maybe this video will help you?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/youtuber-...215902207.html
Interesting - thanks for posting!
Old 03-07-17, 11:47 AM
  #895  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by fujishig
Zelda is literally a last gen title ported over to the Switch (this is the second time they did this with a Zelda game). I agree it's a great game, but you can get the same experience minus the portability on their last gen system. No other company would pull this off and be praised for it except Nintendo. Sony could have asked Square Enix to hold back Final Fantasy XII for the PS3 and that would have made an excellent launch title, but they didn't (and hey, you had backward compatibility anyway).

I think there are five physical games at launch.
Zelda: great game, available on Wiiu
Bomberman: I dunno how good it is but the online play is apparently broken
Skylanders and Just Dance: shovelware adapted from last gen (two gens ago?) systems.
12 Switch: great way to demo the system, would have been great if cheaper or included with the system


Then you have snipperclips and a wipeout clone as budget digital only titles.

We have confirmed release dates for five more titles, most of which are remakes.
4/4. Lego city undercover. Dont know much about it but it's like a remake, not a sequel, of the WiiU title, also being released cross platform
4/25. Puyo puyo Tetris. Probably my next purchase, love the demo, also being released digitally for PS4.
4/28. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
5/23. Disgaea 5 complete
5/26. Ultra Street Fighter II the final challengers.

And I think a blaster master game digitally.

Looking back at past launches part of it was the delayed launches in the US. The Japanese launches for a lot of consoles were bare. The PS2 launch doesn't seem so bad to me... sure there are no classics but even early Madden showed off the power of the system.
Blaster Master Zero is due on the 9th.

Review wise, Fast RMX and Snipperclips are actually decent so far, although only a few official reviews out for them. I was just looking at the Metacritic reviews this morning on the current Switch games. Definitely a fairly week lineup.

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/gam...itch/metascore
Old 03-07-17, 11:52 AM
  #896  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,457
Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Ah, forgot about Shovel Knight.
Old 03-07-17, 11:55 AM
  #897  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,349
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

As well as I Am Setsuna, which is getting Switch exclusive DLC.
Old 03-07-17, 12:06 PM
  #898  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 62,539
Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by fujishig
4/25. Puyo puyo Tetris. Probably my next purchase, love the demo, also being released digitally for PS4.
Disc only on PS4.

Switch Digital: $30
Switch Cartridge: $40
PS4 Disc: $30
Old 03-07-17, 12:06 PM
  #899  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,719
Received 280 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Actually yeah fujishig's point about Zelda being a port is good- forgot about that. And like he said, it was the same situation when the Wii came out. Though in that case, everyone was obsessing over Wii Sports.
Old 03-07-17, 01:56 PM
  #900  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Jobland
Posts: 4,289
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Where's a good place to get the AC adapter so I don't have to take it out the cradle? Didn't think of that with the accessories.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.