Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-17, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Yeah the dock seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 03-06-17, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Crazy video. Dead pixels are normal? Nintendo?
Old 03-06-17, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Nintendo Switch Thread - Presentation on Jan. 12th

Originally Posted by stingermck
System launch woes

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Cb-srOfRqNc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Nintendoh
Old 03-06-17, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Buying a console on the first day or week.
Old 03-06-17, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by EinCB
Generally is fine
Old 03-06-17, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Yeah, I bought a PS4, Xbox One and a PS Vita on launch day and they're all perfect still. My only regret is getting the Xbox One with a useless Kinect.

This thing -- yikes. I really wanted to play that new Zelda game eventually, but now I guess I'm going to wait for a redesign.
Old 03-06-17, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Not to defend Nintendo but PS4 and Xbox both had some issues at launch, notably Blu ray playback for the One, disk eject and read issues, PS4 controllers seemingly disintegrating over time, etc. the Vita also had stuck/dead pixels.

But this really feels like beta testing and rushing out to market, most notably with what may be the worst launch lineup ever and not even a finalized online strategy. That dock is horrid and there's no reason for it, same with the lack of charging grip, etc. I haven't even touched those strap attachments, they're still in the box. The joycon sync problems and their response to it is terrible. The pixel thing I can kind of understand as that's kind of the standard response for a lot of consumer displays, but they needed to be a little more cognizant of how they were messaging it.

DQ Heroes is either a port from the PS3 or Vita versions, which is terrible, same for skylanders, which does not bode well for future third party games. Not only is the game store bare, there are very few demos and they couldn't even throw in some VC games to fill it out. Their best game, their only game, plays about as well on their last generation system. Game saves are tied to the console, not the cart, not the sd memory card, and there's no way to transfer. While that will stop piracy for oh, about five seconds, that's a whole lotta hassle for everyone else. Accessories are way overpriced... it's a hundred bucks for a second set of joycons and a way to charge them. And friend codes? FRIEND CODES?
Old 03-06-17, 11:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I dunno, I had a PS4 at launch and have had zero issues with it. I'm sure there are many Switches that work well, but overall it seems like this platform has a much stepper hill to climb. I'm betting now they'll label this a failure sooner rather than later. Not the case with pretty much every other platform.
Old 03-07-17, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EinCB
Tell that to my launch PS3 that is still used weekly . But no one will argue the launch 360 units, the RROD will live on forever!

Originally Posted by fujishig
Not to defend Nintendo but PS4 and Xbox both had some issues at launch, notably Blu ray playback for the One, disk eject and read issues, PS4 controllers seemingly disintegrating over time, etc. the Vita also had stuck/dead pixels.

But this really feels like beta testing and rushing out to market, most notably with what may be the worst launch lineup ever and not even a finalized online strategy. That dock is horrid and there's no reason for it, same with the lack of charging grip, etc. I haven't even touched those strap attachments, they're still in the box. The joycon sync problems and their response to it is terrible. The pixel thing I can kind of understand as that's kind of the standard response for a lot of consumer displays, but they needed to be a little more cognizant of how they were messaging it.

DQ Heroes is either a port from the PS3 or Vita versions, which is terrible, same for skylanders, which does not bode well for future third party games. Not only is the game store bare, there are very few demos and they couldn't even throw in some VC games to fill it out. Their best game, their only game, plays about as well on their last generation system. Game saves are tied to the console, not the cart, not the sd memory card, and there's no way to transfer. While that will stop piracy for oh, about five seconds, that's a whole lotta hassle for everyone else. Accessories are way overpriced... it's a hundred bucks for a second set of joycons and a way to charge them. And friend codes? FRIEND CODES?
Once they get their online network up and running where you have to buy an app to communicate with people and get to borrow a few retro games a month that you have already played a billion times, this system will be on fire! (and if you have a screen protector, it might actually already be on fire!!)
Old 03-07-17, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

But this really feels like beta testing and rushing out to market, most notably with what may be the worst launch lineup ever and not even a finalized online strategy.
It launched with a Zelda game that's getting stellar reviews. I'm pretty sure PS2 had one of the worst launch titles in the last 20 years. PS3s wasn't that great either.
Old 03-07-17, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

^ The Nintendo 64 had Pilot Wings and Mario 64. And that was it.

I eventually bought one because I absolutely loved Waverace.

The PS2 had DOA2, Armored Core 2, Midnight Club, Ready 2 Rumble 2, SSX, TimeSplitters, etc; which really wasn't a bad launch

Let's face it though, you need a Ridge Racer to have a successful launch. The PSX had Ridge Racer, The PS2 launched with Ridge Racer V, The Xbox 360 launched with Ridge Racer 6, The Playstation 3 launched with Ridge Racer 7, Nintendo 3DS launched with Ridge Racer 3D.

What the Switch needed, was Ridge Racer.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-07-17 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-07-17, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought a 64 at launch. Mario 64 still is near the top of all time best game lists even today, so I'd say that's an acceptable launch title. The quantity yeah, 2 games is damn low, but the quality was insane, especially considering the jump from the previous generation.

And Japan did get that Go game as well.
Old 03-07-17, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Hah yeah, that was the point I was going for. Zelda is literally the highest rated game (meta-wise) to date. It's currently beating out Super Mario Galaxy and Ocarina of Time for the crown. That's pretty solid for a launch title. (Other top games, meta: Super Mario Galaxy 2, Grand Theft Auto IV, Grand Theft Auto V, SoulCalibur (Dreamcast), Uncharted 2, Super Mario 64, The Orange Box, and Metroid Prime.) Of course, this means less since it's also on the Wii U, but not substantially less.

I never got the love for Mario 64, but it was an impressive technological feat. I had more fun with Crash Bandicoot back then.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-07-17 at 09:11 AM. Reason: `
Old 03-07-17, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Launches in general don't have the strongest titles really. You're lucky to get maybe a couple strong games but for the most part I don't think the Switch launch lineup is any worse than other consoles. You already have a great Zelda game and will be getting a new Mario by year end. Plus Splatoon 2 is a big title for some people. Those three are pretty heavy hitters for the first year and then you have the rest of what's been announced and whatever else isn't announced.

Last edited by Mike86; 03-07-17 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-07-17, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://kotaku.com/the-first-nintendo...pan-1793032877

The Nintendo Switch has sold an estimated 330,637 units in its first three days on sale in Japan.

That’s according to Famitsu, which adds that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild sold an estimated 190,060 copies in the country. That figure is retail only and does not include downloads.

These early figures are from March 3 to March 5, the Switch’s launch week and first three days on sale. (Expect Nintendo to release sales data of its own in the future.)

To put these hardware numbers into context, the Nintendo Wii U sold an estimated 308,570 units in its first two days on sale, with the Wii U’s launch week being from December 8 to December 9, 2012. The Wii, however, sold around 371,936 units in its first two days on sale back on December 2, 2006 during its debut launch week.
Decent numbers, I assume that's basically selling out the initial stock.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...mericas-report

Update: Nintendo of Europe says that Nintendo Switch sold more in its launch weekend than any other Nintendo hardware in history.

What's more, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the biggest-selling Nintendo launch title ever in Europe - beating the previous record holder Wii Sports (which was bundled with the hardware).
Old 03-07-17, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

My Switch seems to be working just fine. While I've only bought 2 other consoles on launch day, I usually pick up the ones that have interested me within 6 months of launch. The only one that bit me was the Xbox 360 RROD....3 times!!!
Old 03-07-17, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Zelda is literally a last gen title ported over to the Switch (this is the second time they did this with a Zelda game). I agree it's a great game, but you can get the same experience minus the portability on their last gen system. No other company would pull this off and be praised for it except Nintendo. Sony could have asked Square Enix to hold back Final Fantasy XII for the PS3 and that would have made an excellent launch title, but they didn't (and hey, you had backward compatibility anyway).

I think there are five physical games at launch.
Zelda: great game, available on Wiiu
Bomberman: I dunno how good it is but the online play is apparently broken
Skylanders and Just Dance: shovelware adapted from last gen (two gens ago?) systems.
12 Switch: great way to demo the system, would have been great if cheaper or included with the system

Then you have snipperclips and a wipeout clone as budget digital only titles.

We have confirmed release dates for five more titles, most of which are remakes.
4/4. Lego city undercover. Dont know much about it but it's like a remake, not a sequel, of the WiiU title, also being released cross platform
4/25. Puyo puyo Tetris. Probably my next purchase, love the demo, also being released digitally for PS4.
4/28. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
5/23. Disgaea 5 complete
5/26. Ultra Street Fighter II the final challengers.

And I think a blaster master game digitally.

Looking back at past launches part of it was the delayed launches in the US. The Japanese launches for a lot of consoles were bare. The PS2 launch doesn't seem so bad to me... sure there are no classics but even early Madden showed off the power of the system.

Last edited by fujishig; 03-07-17 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-07-17, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I've been having a lot of problems with the controllers when the system is on the dock. I'm only about 10 ft away from it, but if I don't maintain line of sight or a certain angle my left stick stops responding. I am up to date on system updates. Pretty disappointing.
Bunk... maybe this video will help you?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/youtuber-...215902207.html
Old 03-07-17, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Bunk... maybe this video will help you?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/youtuber-...215902207.html
Interesting - thanks for posting!
Old 03-07-17, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Zelda is literally a last gen title ported over to the Switch (this is the second time they did this with a Zelda game). I agree it's a great game, but you can get the same experience minus the portability on their last gen system. No other company would pull this off and be praised for it except Nintendo. Sony could have asked Square Enix to hold back Final Fantasy XII for the PS3 and that would have made an excellent launch title, but they didn't (and hey, you had backward compatibility anyway).

I think there are five physical games at launch.
Zelda: great game, available on Wiiu
Bomberman: I dunno how good it is but the online play is apparently broken
Skylanders and Just Dance: shovelware adapted from last gen (two gens ago?) systems.
12 Switch: great way to demo the system, would have been great if cheaper or included with the system

Then you have snipperclips and a wipeout clone as budget digital only titles.

We have confirmed release dates for five more titles, most of which are remakes.
4/4. Lego city undercover. Dont know much about it but it's like a remake, not a sequel, of the WiiU title, also being released cross platform
4/25. Puyo puyo Tetris. Probably my next purchase, love the demo, also being released digitally for PS4.
4/28. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
5/23. Disgaea 5 complete
5/26. Ultra Street Fighter II the final challengers.

And I think a blaster master game digitally.

Looking back at past launches part of it was the delayed launches in the US. The Japanese launches for a lot of consoles were bare. The PS2 launch doesn't seem so bad to me... sure there are no classics but even early Madden showed off the power of the system.
Blaster Master Zero is due on the 9th.

Review wise, Fast RMX and Snipperclips are actually decent so far, although only a few official reviews out for them. I was just looking at the Metacritic reviews this morning on the current Switch games. Definitely a fairly week lineup.

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/gam...itch/metascore
Old 03-07-17, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah, forgot about Shovel Knight.
Old 03-07-17, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

As well as I Am Setsuna, which is getting Switch exclusive DLC.
Old 03-07-17, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Disc only on PS4.

Switch Digital: $30
Switch Cartridge: $40
PS4 Disc: $30
Old 03-07-17, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually yeah fujishig's point about Zelda being a port is good- forgot about that. And like he said, it was the same situation when the Wii came out. Though in that case, everyone was obsessing over Wii Sports.
Old 03-07-17, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where's a good place to get the AC adapter so I don't have to take it out the cradle? Didn't think of that with the accessories.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.