DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/637801-nintendo-switch-building-new-generation-hardware-scratch.html)

slop101 03-11-19 12:09 PM

Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Sure, but you gotta admit, charging full price for an old product that didn't initially sell is not at all standard operating procedure for any other company; videogame or otherwise.

fujishig 03-11-19 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 13514247)
Sure, but you gotta admit, charging full price for an old product that didn't initially sell is not at all standard operating procedure for any other company; videogame or otherwise.

This is Nintendo, though. If you want to buy the original WiiU version with the Luigi content, it's the exact same price (even today). It was actually more on launch.

RichC2 03-11-19 12:56 PM

Yeah, Nintendo thinks a lot of themselves. And people generally pay it.

Mike86 03-11-19 01:23 PM

The value of their core characters is so strong. Just about any fan you sell a Nintendo console to is going to buy the first party releases. Whether they’re brand new titles or re-releases. There’s really no reason to ask less. Also while not straight up re-releases there have been a lot of HD remasters done, particularly by Sony where a lot were only marginally better (mainly between like PS3 and PS4), and a lot of those were full priced as well.

Decker 03-11-19 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13514297)
The value of their core characters is so strong. Just about any fan you sell a Nintendo console to is going to buy the first party releases. There’s really no reason to ask less. Also while not straight up re-releases there have been a lot of HD remasters done, particularly by Sony where a lot were only marginally better (mainly between like PS3 and PS4), and a lot of those were full priced as well.

Not really. At least as far as First Party Sony remasters went - Ratchet & Clank and Shadow of Colossus were fully remade and still $39.99. God of War 3 and The Last of Us were also remasters and came out at $39.99. Can't think of any others...oh yeah the three Uncharted games. Can't remember if that collection was $39.99 or $59.99 but that was 3 games (and dropped in price like a rock). Still it's all irrelevant - Nintendo first party is obviously different than Sony first party when it comes to pricing and identity.

fujishig 03-11-19 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13514297)
The value of their core characters is so strong. Just about any fan you sell a Nintendo console to is going to buy the first party releases. Whether they’re brand new titles or re-releases. There’s really no reason to ask less. Also while not straight up re-releases there have been a lot of HD remasters done, particularly by Sony where a lot were only marginally better (mainly between like PS3 and PS4), and a lot of those were full priced as well.

I don't usually buy them on release but aren't those usually like $40 instead of $60? I figured that's what slop101 was complaining about.

But yeah, even with the massive eshop sales in the switch era, Nintendo has really kept the value of their titles up. And I can't blame them. There's zero reason to buy a AAA Xbox or PS game on launch, especially prior to the holiday season, because you know it's getting discounted. Even this recent MAR10 sale, 40 bucks for a 1st party game that's been out for any length of time is a "meh, it'll be cheaper" but with Nintendo, it's like striking gold.

Mike86 03-11-19 01:32 PM

I think a lot of it is the brand being as strong as it is. Microsoft and Sony both have strong first party titles, but I would say neither has a face of their brand that’s as big as Mario. On top of that Mario is just their biggest but they have other characters who are synonymous with not just Nintendo but video games in general.

Maybe I’m wrong about Sony but I swear that was a big complaint (though maybe it was with PS3 now that I think of it) that there was an over-abundance of HD re-releases. I guess I didn’t keep track of the prices for those though.

slop101 03-11-19 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13514304)

Maybe I’m wrong about Sony but I swear that was a big complaint (though maybe it was with PS3 now that I think of it) that there was an over-abundance of HD re-releases. I guess I didn’t keep track of the prices for those though.

There was, but if they weren't budget-priced, they were drastically improved with either extra content (like God of War HD was all 3 games in one package), and/or a complete graphics overhaul.

But yeah, Nintendo relies on it's first party games retaining value. I'm surprised their classic mini-consoles aren't way more expensive.

Goldberg74 03-14-19 09:40 PM

DLC for Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker was released today. $5.99 gets you a Special Episode with 18 new challenges but only 5 new levels.

This comes on the heels of the “2-player Update” last month..

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/de...re-even-bigger

The DLC contains 18 new challenges among five creative new courses. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker – Special Episode is available for $5.99, and anyone who pre-purchases the new downloadable content directly in Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch now will have access to Shifty Shrine, the first of the five new courses. The remaining DLC will become available on March 14.

On Feb. 13, a free update to the game also added Partner Adventure Mode, a two-player co-op mode that lets players explore every course in the game together with a friend. Now players can team up as Captain Toad and Toadette or Captain Toad and Purple Captain Toad to solve puzzles together in both the base game and DLC.

Sonny Corinthos 03-15-19 05:11 AM

I wish they could add some tracks and courses to Mario Kart. The Switch version is nearly identical to the Wii U game considering I had bought the DLC tracks on the Wii U. I wish there was a way Nintendo could track the games you buy and give you a discount if buy a port of a game you already bought for the Wii U. That sure isn't happening considering we are talking about Nintendo.

fujishig 03-15-19 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos (Post 13516690)
I wish they could add some tracks and courses to Mario Kart. The Switch version is nearly identical to the Wii U game considering I had bought the DLC tracks on the Wii U. I wish there was a way Nintendo could track the games you buy and give you a discount if buy a port of a game you already bought for the Wii U. That sure isn't happening considering we are talking about Nintendo.

I mean, that's not something that any company does as a part of regular policy. Generally if you want to buy a port or an updated version, no discount. But yeah, Nintendo doesn't even let you bring your digital classic games from system to system (well, they did for the wii to wiiu but it was wonky).

mattysemo247 03-15-19 12:19 PM

I'm betting that we see Mario Kart 9 next year since Mario Kart 8 came out in 2014. It wouldn't make sense for them to start selling DLC now.

lopper 03-15-19 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 13516883)
I'm betting that we see Mario Kart 9 next year since Mario Kart 8 came out in 2014. It wouldn't make sense for them to start selling DLC now.

A new Mario Kart would be great for us. I've tried several, but MK8 is the only game I've been able to play with my kids, and it's all thanks to the acceleration/steering assist. I'd like to see features like that creep into more games.

fujishig 03-15-19 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by lopper (Post 13516886)
A new Mario Kart would be great for us. I've tried several, but MK8 is the only game I've been able to play with my kids, and it's all thanks to the acceleration/steering assist. I'd like to see features like that creep into more games.

I think that's mainly because most games you can play online are at least a little competitive. Mario Kart, there's no illusion of an actual competitive scene. :)

fujishig 03-20-19 11:25 AM

A Crypt of the Necrodancer sequel with Link and Zelda? Cool.

Also Blaster Master Zero 2. Available today.

Dan 03-20-19 01:18 PM

Cuphead is coming to Switch too, including Xbox Live Achievements. Also there will be a free patch on April 18 (for all versions I guess), that lets you play as Mugman in single player mode. :up:

Mike86 03-20-19 08:06 PM

Cool that Cuphead is coming to Switch. It seemed like a natural for the system from the get-go to me and kind of fits the retro vibe a lot of Switch titles have. It'd be cool getting a physical release but probably will be digital only.

tanman 03-21-19 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 13516883)

It would be interesting to see if they make another Mario Kart for the switch. It's one of those series that they have a rule of one per system. But since this was basically a greatest hits version of the WiiU version I'm not sure if they'll make an exception.

Originally Posted by lopper (Post 13516886)

Whoever came up with that was brilliant. They need to make more ways like this so that little kids and us big kids can play together. Because if you think about it video games actually traditionsally build upon the skill you learned from previous games. So those of us who are older have a bit of an advantage as someone who is just thrust into the 3D world of video games. I remember it took me awhile to jump over the first goomba in the very first Mario Bros. game.

fujishig 03-21-19 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by tanman (Post 13520109)
Whoever came up with that was brilliant. They need to make more ways like this so that little kids and us big kids can play together. Because if you think about it video games actually traditionsally build upon the skill you learned from previous games. So those of us who are older have a bit of an advantage as someone who is just thrust into the 3D world of video games. I remember it took me awhile to jump over the first goomba in the very first Mario Bros. game.

Nintendo is excellent at this, and has really fostered my daughter's love of videogames. If not for the WiiU, the 3ds, and the Switch I doubt she would have even gotten into console games. Mario Odyssey is another one where there's an easy mode, and she actually finished the game without me.

She doesn't need the auto steering in Mario Kart but her brother does to "compete" with her.

HE Pennypacker 03-21-19 10:46 AM

What an awesome surprise the release of Blaster Master Zero 2 is. Didn't even know it was in development. Blaster Master was one of the best and first "Metroidvanias" and the loose BMZ remake that came out with the Switch was an amazing game and worth the $10. Hopefully this release will get more people playing the first one - which quickly got buried in the Nintendo eshop due to its release very early in the Switch's lifespan.

Just snagged the sequel and the transition is seamless. Awesome game and once again just ten bucks. With the first one, the default difficulty was extremely easy until you unlocked the full game. Right off the bat though with the sequel, the difficulty is ramped up. There is no hand holding in the sequel. Inti Creates hits yet another homerun with this unexpected release!

slop101 03-21-19 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker (Post 13520270)
What an awesome surprise the release of Blaster Master Zero 2 is. Didn't even know it was in development. Blaster Master was one of the best and first "Metroidvanias" and the loose BMZ remake that came out with the Switch was an amazing game and worth the $10. Hopefully this release will get more people playing the first one - which quickly got buried in the Nintendo eshop due to its release very early in the Switch's lifespan.

Just snagged the sequel and the transition is seamless. Awesome game and once again just ten bucks. With the first one, the default difficulty was extremely easy until you unlocked the full game. Right off the bat though with the sequel, the difficulty is ramped up. There is no hand holding in the sequel. Inti Creates hits yet another homerun with this unexpected release!

Nice! Thanks for the heads up - would've missed it otherwise. And yeah, that Blaster Master remake for the Wii virtual console was great!

I only wish it looked more "16-bit" rather than looking "8-bit" like it does. Probably why it's only $10. Otherwise, probably would've been $20.

fujishig 03-21-19 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker (Post 13520270)

On the other hand,I think it being one of the first games on the switch probably helped it a bit, before the switch store became overcrowded. I know that's why I originally picked it up (at full price even) just to have something else to play. And you're right, it was easy but awesome.

Unfortunately I have enough of a switch backlog at this point that I'll probably wait on the sequel for now. I haven't even started Wargroove, for instance. Plus I feel a little burned by Inti Creates on Dragon Marked for Death, which I bought at launch but which really hasn't kept my attention.

Dan 03-21-19 02:24 PM

I played Blaster Master Zero more than I played BOTW or Mario Odyssey I think (I did finish the latter, but need to restart BOTW someday)
I want to play BMZ2, but I'm also afraid it'll be another time-suck for me. :lol:

Michael Corvin 03-22-19 05:35 PM

Popping in seeking an answer. I don't own a Switch but I noticed Nintendo has released Switch themed wireless Gamecube controllers. Has anyone run across or found a way to make those work on a Gamecube? Good condition Wavebirds are hard to come by these days.

I've been revisiting the Gamecube and a couple new controllers would be awesome.

slop101 03-22-19 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13521227)
Good condition Wavebirds are hard to come by these days.

I didn't know this. I have a near-mint (no packaging) Wavebird that I never use.