DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/637801-nintendo-switch-building-new-generation-hardware-scratch.html)

milo bloom 02-13-19 05:00 PM

Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Hot damn! SMMaker is one of the greatest things Nintendo has ever made. The creativity I've seen in player created courses always amazes me to no end.

Bacon 02-13-19 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 13500224)

3D World in SMM2? OMG I just wet myself

fumanstan 02-13-19 05:31 PM

I never played Link's Awakening, so this interests me a lot.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_U-_XfDGgDw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bacon 02-13-19 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 13500271)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_U-_XfDGgDw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

one of the most frustrating games I've ever played

Mike86 02-13-19 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 13500271)

Damn that’s pretty cool. Funny enough I was actually recently looking to grab a copy on GameBoy or GameBoy Color.

Adam Tyner 02-13-19 07:08 PM

It’s funny because 2018 was such a dire year for the Switch (at least for my tastes), but 2019 is going to put me in the poorhouse. That’s the best Nintendo Direct in quite a long while. Preordered 4 titles from Best Buy before it was over. :lol: Would’ve been more if I hadn’t already preordered a few of those other games.

RichC2 02-14-19 05:13 AM

Links Awakening was ome of my favorite games growing up, it also had some memorable tunes. Awesome to see it being remade.

SunMonkey 02-14-19 05:58 AM

I can sort of understand that Nintendo has a plan for no Virtual Consol with the mini systems, digital collections, and remakes, but I don’t get why we are almost two years in and they still are not selling themes. Seems like easy money they are leaving on the table.

fujishig 02-14-19 08:16 AM

I wouldn't necessarily call it a killer app but Tetris 99 at least helps to justify the cost of nintendo online a little.

Mike86 02-14-19 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by SunMonkey (Post 13500515)
I can sort of understand that Nintendo has a plan for no Virtual Consol with the mini systems, digital collections, and remakes, but I don’t get why we are almost two years in and they still are not selling themes. Seems like easy money they are leaving on the table.

Yeah, themes are a little thing I’d like to see added too. Not a big deal but like you say could be easy money for Nintendo. Even the amount of avatars is fairly limited.

fujishig 02-14-19 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13500609)

Yeah, themes are a little thing I’d like to see added too. Not a big deal but like you say could be easy money for Nintendo. Even the amount of avatars is fairly limited.

Their last update was basically adding Mario Party avatars... this was right after Smash bros came out. You'd think Smash Bros avatars would be the easiest money of all (if they actually sold them).

BBEANLPHIE 02-14-19 10:23 AM

The yoshi demo was much better than I expected. I have played all the versions of Yoshi from the wii, wiiu and 3ds versions and this one was the most impressive. I was watching my son play and saw the improvements they made to the game play. Just wish it was priced $39.99.
Also anyone else try it and see how blurry it was while in handheld mode?

Sonny Corinthos 02-14-19 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 13491290)
This is live now (along with an update). It's a pretty fun character to use. Kinda slow but has a damn good vertical attack.

I never got the email with the code. I wonder if I contacted Nintendo, if they could help me out?

lopper 02-14-19 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13500563)
I wouldn't necessarily call it a killer app but Tetris 99 at least helps to justify the cost of nintendo online a little.

Yep, this is why I signed up for online just yesterday. I had some points to use so the yearly sub came out to $17ish. I'm okay with that.

The Questyen 02-14-19 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by BBEANLPHIE (Post 13500638)
The yoshi demo was much better than I expected. I have played all the versions of Yoshi from the wii, wiiu and 3ds versions and this one was the most impressive. I was watching my son play and saw the improvements they made to the game play. Just wish it was priced $39.99.
Also anyone else try it and see how blurry it was while in handheld mode?

Why would you expect it be $39.99? It's a brand new game. Wooly World on the Wii U is one of the best platfomers of the last 5 years. I'm super stoked for this new one.

SunMonkey 02-15-19 04:50 PM

Looks like the Switch is now sort of bundling in a game with new systems in the form of $35 digital credit. I like the idea of bundles going that direction.

Goldberg74 02-15-19 07:12 PM

That's it, from now on I'm calling Tetris 99 either "PUB-T" or "Fort-Blocks".

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/tetris-99-switch

fumanstan 02-21-19 06:29 PM

Well this is an interesting rumor.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/02...tles-to-switch

According to a report from outlet Direct Feed Games, an outlet that has a strong track record for rumors especially centering around Nintendo, Microsoft and Nintendo are about to get together in a big way in the near future. Not only will some Microsoft games find their way to the Switch, but it looks like the entire Game Pass library might arrive via the magic of streaming.

The report states that Microsoft is looking into publishing some of their own catalog to the Switch in the form of actual ports. This is in no way strange for Microsoft, who has dabbled in things like lending out Rare for games on Nintendo systems and developing and publishing games on Nintendo consoles such as Minecraft. Microsoft-owned developers like Ninja Theory and Obsidian are still self-publishing their games on the Switch and other systems, as well.

Additionally, the report goes on to say that Microsoft will be leveraging their announced Project xCloud streaming service to bring Xbox One games to the Switch. While the Switch can't natively play, as a hypothetical example Gears 5, it could stream it over the internet. This will be done through Game Pass, which allows players to subscribe to a service to access a Netflix-style library of games.

In talking with our own sources, it has been suggested that the announcement of Game Pass on Switch could come as soon as this year.

asianxcore 02-22-19 01:48 AM

The Demo for DAEMON X MACHINA dropped last week.

Not sure how I missed it but I can't wait to try it out.

It's probably my most anticipated game for Switch currently.

Sonny Corinthos 02-22-19 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bacon (Post 13500281)
one of the most frustrating games I've ever played

That's the truth. Before the internet became so wide spread, Nintendo used to have a help line, but this was back in the days of paying for long distance calls. I bet I racked up 40 bucks calling them when it was all said and done.

dsa_shea 02-22-19 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos (Post 13504925)
That's the truth. Before the internet became so wide spread, Nintendo used to have a help line, but this was back in the days of paying for long distance calls. I bet I racked up 40 bucks calling them when it was all said and done.

I remember making a call for Golgo 13.

Maxflier 02-22-19 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 13505149)
I remember making a call for Golgo 13.

The mazes in that game were the worst!

Mike86 02-22-19 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 13504728)

Yeah, the Nintendo/Mic

Mike86 02-22-19 07:29 PM

Yeah, the Nintendo/Microsoft relationship is getting pretty interesting. Not really sure how that all works out with having games that aren’t really built or whatever for one platform work out without issues, but if it can happen bring it on.

Sonny Corinthos 02-24-19 06:25 AM

Here's video about fumanstan's post. This would be huge if it does happen.