Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Voodoo Vince Remastered (early 2017; PC/XB1)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-05-16, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

This was one of my favorite games for the original Xbox, and I can't wait to catch up with it again on the Xbox One!

Voodoo Vince. He's one of those guys you've heard of but never had the chance to meet. Or maybe you did meet him way back when, but your memories of those fun times you spent together have gone fuzzy.

Developed by Beep Industries and published by Microsoft, Voodoo Vince released in September 2003 for the first-generation Xbox. This quirky puzzle platformer set in the magical underbelly of New Orleans was only playable on the original Xbox - a sad fact that has forced it into obscurity as the years passed.

Until now. (Well, early 2017 to be exact.) Resurrected by its creator Clayton Kauzlaric's independent studio Beep Games, Inc., Voodoo Vince will rise again early next year in Voodoo Vince: Remastered, a high definition Xbox One rerelease. Plus, for the first time ever, Vince will make the leap to Windows, so even more nostalgic fans and curious newbies can join in on his crazy bayou adventure.

Teaser trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-7hEQ6nwaM

"I'm super excited to bring Voodoo Vince back," says Kauzlaric. "Backward compatibility was never possible due to the nature of our game engine, but the ID@Xbox program got me thinking about publishing an HD remastered version independently, with much of the game rewritten from the ground up to run on newer hardware. The folks at Microsoft have been amazingly supportive of the idea."

About Voodoo Vince: Remastered
If you own a voodoo doll, you get to tap into its strange, mysterious powers. But if you *are* a voodoo doll? That's when things get really fun.

Join Vince on a wild tear through crawfish-laden swamps, haunted graveyards, and the eccentric French Quarter in search of his missing keeper, Madam Charmaine. Show enemies who's *really* boss with 30+ voodoo attacks involving falling safes, prickly pushpins, bolts of lightning, and more. Vince may get his butt kicked, but his opponents feel the pain!

Voodoo Vince: Remastered features:
Classic puzzle platforming gameplay that has been preserved exactly as it was in the original
Gorgeous high-def visuals: 1080p resolution with 16:9 aspect ratio and updated rendering and visual effects
60 fps gameplay - Voodoo Vince plays like butter!
Select soundtrack updates and remixes by the game's original composer, Steve Kirk
Xbox LIVE integration and achievements
Rumble/haptic feedback
Loads of Snark-ariffic™, sarcastic humor

We'll have more Voodoo Vince: Remastered news leading up to the early 2017 launch. Until then, Vince would love it if you'd follow him on Twitter (http://twitter.com/realvoodoovince). Being out of the loop for 13 years can make a guy pretty lonely.
Old 10-05-16, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Voodoo Vince Remastered (early 2017; PC/XB1)

I don't know anything about this game since I didn't own the original XBox. I'll wait for reviews, but part of me wants to support stuff like this.
Old 10-05-16, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm one step closer to being able to replay Deathrow again!
Old 10-06-16, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

I played that entire game and hardly remember a thing about it. I don't think it was very good, even for its time.
Old 10-11-16, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts

The original game has a 73 critic score, and a 8.4 user score, on Metacritic:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox/voodoo-vince

And a 76.87% score on gamerankings:
http://www.gamerankings.com/xbox/914...nce/index.html
Old 10-11-16, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't know anything about this game since I didn't own the original XBox. I'll wait for reviews, but part of me wants to support stuff like this.
Why? Then all we get is more remasters and less original content. I am fed up with all these remasters.
Old 10-11-16, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Deftones
Why? Then all we get is more remasters and less original content. I am fed up with all these remasters.
I think remastering a much lesser known property like this is much different then your previous gen AAA type remasters.
Old 10-11-16, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I think remastering a much lesser known property like this is much different then your previous gen AAA type remasters.
While I agree that it is slightly different, you are still utilizing development resources that could be used to create original content.
Old 10-11-16, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Deftones
While I agree that it is slightly different, you are still utilizing development resources that could be used to create original content.
Were you really hoping that Beep Games was working on something more substantial? The makers of such other amazing mobile games like Scurby Scallywags, The Big Big Castle, and Word Spiral? I don't think we're losing out on anything by having them remaster a little known XBox game.

As for other remasters, for the most part they're done by 3rd party houses that specialize in that kind of stuff, opposed to directly taking away resources from a major developer. Remasters aren't really a strain on the development resources that most would actually want to preserve (not to discredit those companies, a lot of them do great work).