ReCore (XO, PC - 9/13/16)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-06-16, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

ReCore

From the legendary creator Keiji Inafune, and the makers of Metroid Prime comes ReCore, an action-adventure crafted for a new generation. As one of the last remaining humans on a planet controlled by robotic foes bent on your destruction, you must forge friendships with a courageous group of robot companions, each with unique abilities and powers. Lead this band of unlikely heroes on an epic adventure through a mysterious, dynamic world. You can’t save mankind alone. Survival Starts in the Core.

Xbox Play Anywhere: Pre-order the digital game, and it’s yours to play on both Xbox One and Windows 10 PC. This does not apply for physical disc copies.
Checking around, it appears we don't have a thread yet for this Xbox One Console Exclusive, which comes out in a week. It comes from great pedigree including Inafune.
Like many, I'm a little wary based on the $39.99 MSRP. If MS felt this was a $40 game, that says there's an issue with game length or performance. I'm leaning to a rental rather than a purchase here.

Gameplay looks like it could be kind of fun in a Ratchet & Clank sort of mode. But it could be super-frustrating as well. I wouldn't pre-order here without getting some reviews read first.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OH4W0fVy17g?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-06-16, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: ReCore (XO, PC - 9/13/16)

I'll be able to get this via some personal connections, but i've also been intrigued with it since it was announced and looking forward to it and was planning on buying it anyway. At $40, I hope it's better then it's price point reflects but it definitely is a bit worrisome that it might be short.
Old 09-06-16, 09:21 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Doesn't look that special. I had this on my radar earlier, but that footage didn't sell me...
Old 09-06-16, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

I'm in, but will probably wait for a sale. I have Mirror's Edge 2, Uncharted 4 and Mad Max sitting on the pile.
Old 09-06-16, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

I'll be getting it from Amazon on release so I'll give some thoughts that first day or so. It looks like something I'll like so I'm willing to give it a shot. I also want to support more companies releasing their games at $39.99.

People always want games to be cheaper and then when they do release them at a cheaper price people don't buy them because they think the only reason it's cheap is because it's bad.
Old 09-06-16, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

That's the industry's conditioning of the consumer. That's on them, not us. The only games that are discounted at launch are typically cheap for a reason.

On the flipside, Ratchet & Clank was $40, IIRC and that's a fantastic game with tons of replay value.
Old 09-06-16, 10:30 PM

Yeah, R&C was $40, but that was because it started as a remastered version of the old original game. It ended up being more of its own thing, but that was the reason (and the fact that it was a little on the short side).
As to why this game is $40 (especially considering that the last, short Xbox One exclusive Quantum Break was full price) is still a mystery. I think it's weird that no advance press is addressing the lower MSRP and what that means in this case.

Edit : I found this :

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-recore-is-40/1100-6441833/

They claim it's because this is a new IP (as if Quantum Break wasn't)
Old 09-06-16, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Yeah, R&C was $40, but that was because it started as a remastered version of the old original game. It ended up being more of its own thing, but that was the reason (and the fact that it was a little on the short side).
As to why this game is $40 (especially considering that the last, short Xbox One exclusive Quantum Break was full price) is still a mystery. I think it's weird that no advance press is addressing the lower MSRP and what that means in this case.
They did address it Microsoft stated it was because it was a new IP and they wanted to get it in to more people's hands it had nothing to do with how long or how "valuable" the game was. Of course the internet took from that press release that it is going to be garbage that's why the cheap price.
Old 09-06-16, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That's the industry's conditioning of the consumer. That's on them, not us. The only games that are discounted at launch are typically cheap for a reason.
Give me some examples. Not $20 but major releases in the $40 range. The only one's I can think of off the top of my head are Banjo & Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts (which is fantastic), Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (which is fantastic), Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (I didn't care for the control scheme but not a bad game), and Ratchet and Clank (which is fantastic).

Edit: Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare released at $39.99 and people love the shit out of that game.

Last edited by The Questyen; 09-06-16 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-07-16, 12:26 AM

PvZ was $40, but it was REALLY light on content, multiplayer only, no campaign. $40 seemed about right price point there.

The Puppeteer was an amazing PS3 game that debuted at $40 and dropped a lot lower and it was an amazing game as well, but it bombed either because it wasn't well advertised, appeared more kiddie than it really was, because people don't buy non-Mario platformers on disc any more or because maybe $40 scared consumers off with concerns of quality. I don't know
Old 09-07-16, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,455 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
They did address it Microsoft stated it was because it was a new IP and they wanted to get it in to more people's hands it had nothing to do with how long or how "valuable" the game was. Of course the internet took from that press release that it is going to be garbage that's why the cheap price.
So are all of their new franchises going to start at this price? Somehow I doubt it (although everything these days is a sequel anyway). But hey I'm all for cheaper games.
Old 09-07-16, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't understand how they can have a $40 regular version, and then a $180 collector's edition. I guess we'll see this on clearance soon enough.

Spoiler:
Old 09-07-16, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interested but waiting on reviews, and a most likely sale price during the holidays for this one. Right now only day 1 purchase I have for sure is Gears.
Old 09-07-16, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I don't understand how they can have a $40 regular version, and then a $180 collector's edition. I guess we'll see this on clearance soon enough.

Spoiler:
Didn't you see that the collector's edition has a metal case? That adds another $100 right there easily.
Old 09-07-16, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig
So are all of their new franchises going to start at this price? Somehow I doubt it (although everything these days is a sequel anyway). But hey I'm all for cheaper games.
I think there's some sort of unspoken understanding that single-player only platformers (non-Nintendo franchise) should have an MSRP of $40 rather than $60. It's nothing official, but those that come out at $60 tend to bomb hard (see Rayman). Sony started pricing those character-based platformers (like Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, LittleBigPlanet) at $40 last generation and seemed to do better with that price point.

I think MS is pricing this game based on that price model -- which is something I'm totally fine with. To claim it's because it's a new IP and they want everyone to try it is clearly a lie (coming just months after releasing Quantum Break at $60).
Old 09-07-16, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Yeah, R&C was $40, but that was because it started as a remastered version of the old original game.
Not all that relevant to the thread overall, but from everything I've read, that's not correct.
Old 09-07-16, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Not all that relevant to the thread overall, but from everything I've read, that's not correct.
Did you read the official description of the game on Insomniac's official game page?

Ratchet & Clank blasts onto PlayStation 4 for the first time, with a new game based on elements from the original Ratchet & Clank (PS2). Ratchet & Clank (PS4) re-imagines the characters’ origin stories and modernizes the original gameplay. Featuring all-new boss fights, several new planets, new flight sequences, and much more – with completely new visuals constructed to take advantage of the power of the PS4.
Or maybe the game description in the Playstation Blog?

We knew early on that we didn’t want to just up-res Ratchet & Clank for PS2. We started out thinking of Ratchet & Clank on PS4 as a “re-imagining” of the 2002 original, revised to tie in with the deeper version of Ratchet’s origin story (as seen in the film). We envisioned a curated Ratchet & Clank experience that borrowed from the spirit of the classic PS2 games while infusing some of the best elements from the Ratchet & Clank Future games.
Old 09-07-16, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Did you read the official description of the game on Insomniac's official game page?

Or maybe the game description in the Playstation Blog?
...neither of which say it was originally envisioned as a straight-up remaster. That was never the case.

Even then, the suggestion that it started as a remaster, therefore it had to be $40, but then it transformed into something else but still had to maintain the $40 MSRP...the logic there is kinda spurious.
Old 09-07-16, 12:42 PM

Okay reimagining, with elements of the original game.

I think the reality of the $40 price point is, like I mentioned above, kind of an artificial, arbitrary new price point for single-player character based platformers (non-Nintendo variety). Nobody actually says that games like that should be priced lower (the way most -- but not all -- remasters are), but there is a tacit expectation that these sorts of games should be priced a little lower, maybe because there are so many "digital-only" platformers that are in the $15-$20 range.

The point I was trying to make is that MS is full of shit when they say it's because it's a new IP. Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive were both new IPs, Xbox One exclusive games that came out on disc at the $60 price point.
Old 09-07-16, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,455 Posts

Okay reimagining, with elements of the original game.

I think the reality of the $40 price point is, like I mentioned above, kind of an artificial, arbitrary new price point for single-player character based platformers (non-Nintendo variety). Nobody actually says that games like that should be priced lower (the way most -- but not all -- remasters are), but there is a tacit expectation that these sorts of games should be priced a little lower, maybe because there are so many "digital-only" platformers that are in the $15-$20 range.
Well unless you're activision and "remastering" last gen marvel games for a premium.
Old 09-07-16, 12:56 PM

That was exactly why I said "-- but not all--" in the post.
Old 09-07-16, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think MS is pricing this game based on that price model -- which is something I'm totally fine with. To claim it's because it's a new IP and they want everyone to try it is clearly a lie (coming just months after releasing Quantum Break at $60).
How does that make it a lie? They never once said every new IP is going to be at this price point so how is Quantum Break's price relevant? Not to mention Quantum Break had been a hugely hyped up game since before the Xbox One even launched. It's not even in the same ballpark as Recore.
Old 09-12-16, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

6.5 from Polygon - http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/12/128...-windows-10-PC

4 from Destructoid - https://www.destructoid.com/review-recore-385972.phtml

6 from Gamespot - http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/reco.../1900-6416513/

It's at 64 overall on Metacritic so far - http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/recore
Old 09-12-16, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Guess that's why it's so cheap...
Old 09-12-16, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Guess that's why it's so cheap...
No! It's because it's a new IP and Microsoft wants everyone to experience it without the high price barrier! Being short and not very good has nothing to do with it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.