Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Will you be buying this?
Yep!
67.92%
Nope!
32.08%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jay G.
Print Wikipost

NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-17, 10:33 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts
Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Well, yesterday being Easter, and us having no real plans, my wife and I decided we wanted to do a road trip to a nearby small town. Not a specific one, just a random one. So... I did a quick brickseek search and found that one Walmart in a small town had 3 in stock! We ended up going there... didn't get there until about 10:10am, about an hour after leaving the house, and this location was open 24 hours, so I imagine they were put in the case sometime in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning.
Honestly didn't expect them to have it by the time we got there, but hey still had two in the case. We got one, then had an awesome brunch nearby.
Walmart tried to sell us on the $5 replacement plan... that wouldn't be of much use if they're discontinued.

The moral of the story is... if you still desperately want one, and don't mind a bit of a drive, hit up a small town.
Old 04-17-17, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope they still make a Super NES one. I thought it was a sure thing but now I have doubts.
Old 04-17-17, 12:02 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

my local Target showed 2 in stock when I checked brickseek this morning before going into work, but that would have meant standing outside Target for an hour and that no one else is thinking the same thing. If they would have shown 4 or 5+ units, I might have made the stop.
Old 04-17-17, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

The one time I check Brickseek and there's one in stock at the Target by my house. If I had checked before it opened I could have stopped on my way in. Oh well. I already have a killer Raspberry Pi setup.
Old 04-17-17, 12:25 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Draven, did you see my PM this weekend? I sent you where I picked up mine and they had more stock.
Old 04-24-17, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

So it is now clear the universe does not want me to have one of these. Best Buy was releasing stock this morning and I was the first person there. The guy comes out and says "sorry man, there was a shipping error and we did not get any. The other store in town (20 mins. away if I'm lucky) has a few but there is already a line."

So I think I'm just going to go the RPi route. I don't even feel bad about it. This is all Nintendo's fault.
Old 04-24-17, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
So it is now clear the universe does not want me to have one of these. Best Buy was releasing stock this morning and I was the first person there. The guy comes out and says "sorry man, there was a shipping error and we did not get any. The other store in town (20 mins. away if I'm lucky) has a few but there is already a line."

So I think I'm just going to go the RPi route. I don't even feel bad about it. This is all Nintendo's fault.
I gave up a while back. My homebrew PSPGo will have to remain my go-to until I build something better.
Old 04-24-17, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I also got the email yesterday about Best Buy having them in stock this morning and happened to be driving by one about 5 mins before they opened. With about 10 people in line, I figured what the hell, I'll give it a shot. Stood in line a few mins chatting with some of the people in line (with some of them standing there for over 2 hrs) when the store finally opens and the guy comes out saying they handed out the tickets at 7AM since they already had over 20 people standing in line. I felt really bad for the people that stood in line the whole time, the employees should have put signs on the door or came out there earlier or something. The whole thing was handled poorly.

Afterwards I stopped by Target to return something and saw two neon Switches back in the electronics cage. Go figure
Old 04-24-17, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was code for "we decided to keep these for ourselves to sell on eBay."
Old 04-24-17, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I also got the email yesterday about Best Buy having them in stock this morning and happened to be driving by one about 5 mins before they opened. With about 10 people in line, I figured what the hell, I'll give it a shot. Stood in line a few mins chatting with some of the people in line (with some of them standing there for over 2 hrs) when the store finally opens and the guy comes out saying they handed out the tickets at 7AM since they already had over 20 people standing in line. I felt really bad for the people that stood in line the whole time, the employees should have put signs on the door or came out there earlier or something. The whole thing was handled poorly.

Afterwards I stopped by Target to return something and saw two neon Switches back in the electronics cage. Go figure
I heard later that the line at the two other local stores started before 7am so that made me feel better. I do wonder how many each store got.

Originally Posted by atxbomber
That was code for "we decided to keep these for ourselves to sell on eBay."
Would not surprise me.
Old 04-24-17, 02:10 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

The extender cables work really well. I've been using the Wii Classic Controller as the player one controller because the home button works to bring up the main menu. Otherwise, you have to get up and press the reset button. I also have an old Nyko hand grip that goes on the back and took off the bracket where you'd clip on the Wiimote. It's a great controller for this system.
Old 04-27-17, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

It's really annoying. Why would you discontinue manufacturing a product when there is so much obvious demand for it? Keep making it and charge a higher price. Who the fuck is running that company?
Old 04-27-17, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Super annoying! Like many I've been looking for one for I guess 5 months now.
Old 04-27-17, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So a guy on local CL put one up for sale with an extra controller, two extension cables, and a case for $100. Only one problem - it REEKS of smoke. I was shocked he still had it so I picked it up. It's been a few days, and no amount of Ozium, fresh air, sunlight, or A&H is helping. I will keep trying, but I haven't even plugged it in yet.
Old 04-27-17, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

So a guy on local CL put one up for sale with an extra controller, two extension cables, and a case for $100. Only one problem - it REEKS of smoke. I was shocked he still had it so I picked it up. It's been a few days, and no amount of Ozium, fresh air, sunlight, or A&H is helping. I will keep trying, but I haven't even plugged it in yet.
Smoke residue gets into/onto everything, so if you really want to get rid of the smell, you probably need to open it up, pull out the circuit board and spray it with canned air then rub it down with isopropyl alcohol. Also spray out and clean with alcohol the inside and outside of the disassembled case. Make sure you get into any crevices with qtips or some other small, non-abrasive implement. Then let all the parts air out in fresh air for a day or two before you put it back together. That might do the trick.
Old 04-27-17, 10:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's sad but at that price these days.. I'd still be happy.
Old 04-28-17, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking at Brickseek, a bunch of my local Targets have 2 to 3 systems today. Of course by now, I'm sure there are already people in line.
Old 04-28-17, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
It's really annoying. Why would you discontinue manufacturing a product when there is so much obvious demand for it? Keep making it and charge a higher price. Who the fuck is running that company?
if the (admittedly weakly sourced) rumors are to be believed - they killed production so they can move on to producing the Classic SNES

http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/19/153...-mini-nintendo
Old 04-28-17, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Daryl
if the (admittedly weakly sourced) rumors are to be believed - they killed production so they can move on to producing the Classic SNES

http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/19/153...-mini-nintendo
In many ways I really prefer the SNES. I have a real NES with all of the games on the classic (plus many others). I have no SNES or games because they are outrageously priced. To play through Super Metroid again on a big screen...OMG.
Old 04-28-17, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

In many ways I really prefer the SNES. I have a real NES with all of the games on the classic (plus many others). I have no SNES or games because they are outrageously priced. To play through Super Metroid again on a big screen...OMG.
If Nintendo decides to produce the SNES in low quantity similar to the NES and attach them with short controller cords, I'll pass again.
Old 04-28-17, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I could see Nintendo scowling at the idea that people are excited about something other than the Switch, opting to kill the NES Classic rather than leave mindshare divided. Y'know, "don't be excited about that! Be excited about this other thing instead!" Other possibilities include freeing up manufacturing for something else (the Switch, the SNES Classic, an NES Classic 2.0, or whatever), limiting competition for the Switch's Virtual Console whenever it shows up, not wanting to go whole hog on the NES Classic after it was compromised, or just reveling in the fact that this unsated frenzy could carry over to people buying future Nintendo products at launch.

None of those are worthwhile reasons, of course. At no point has Nintendo's handling of the NES Classic ever shown any glimmer of competence.
Old 04-28-17, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I could see Nintendo scowling at the idea that people are excited about something other than the Switch, opting to kill the NES Classic rather than leave mindshare divided. Y'know, "don't be excited about that! Be excited about this other thing instead!" Other possibilities include freeing up manufacturing for something else (the Switch, the SNES Classic, an NES Classic 2.0, or whatever), limiting competition for the Switch's Virtual Console whenever it shows up, not wanting to go whole hog on the NES Classic after it was compromised, or just reveling in the fact that this unsated frenzy could carry over to people buying future Nintendo products at launch.

None of those are worthwhile reasons, of course. At no point has Nintendo's handling of the NES Classic ever shown any glimmer of competence.
I like Nintendo. I grew up with their products starting with the SNES since my parents wouldn't let me have a gaming system before that. But their business decisions has been saving me money and don't feel the urge to spend on their products with the exception of the New 3DS. Their whole online strategy baffles me too... Why can't they just come up with something similar to what Sony and Microsoft has for their online network? I believe its because of the cost associated with it or utter incompetence.
Old 04-28-17, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Their whole online strategy baffles me too... Why can't they just come up with something similar to what Sony and Microsoft has for their online network? I believe its because of the cost associated with it or utter incompetence.
We don't know enough about the Switch's still-as-yet-unrevealed online strategy to say how far behind the eight ball they are. I mean, there's no question that they'll still be lagging behind, but how far remains to be seen. If DeNA is taking the lead on that, it might not be too bad. Even with Sony and Microsoft serving up a blueprint, it took many years to get to that point, and I don't think any competitor (short of something already service-oriented like Google, Apple, or Amazon) would be able to hit the ground running with something on-par with Xbox Live or PSN. That's not an excuse, of course, since Nintendo should've been innovating and experimenting alongside them for generations now. Without achievements/trophies or OS-level chat, those are already two black marks. Plus with such limited third party support and so few Nintendo games even having online features, along with the bargain basement price Nintendo is eyeing, my expectations are definitely very limited.
Old 04-28-17, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank
Smoke residue gets into/onto everything, so if you really want to get rid of the smell, you probably need to open it up, pull out the circuit board and spray it with canned air then rub it down with isopropyl alcohol. Also spray out and clean with alcohol the inside and outside of the disassembled case. Make sure you get into any crevices with qtips or some other small, non-abrasive implement. Then let all the parts air out in fresh air for a day or two before you put it back together. That might do the trick.
I will try that but I think you may have to pry the case open, it's not just screwed down. I'm a little concerned about doing that.
Old 04-28-17, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Hmm... while I certainly like the SNES better than the NES, I still have an SNES, along with around 60 of my favorite cartridges. Whereas I haven't had my NES for decades, so the mini would've been fun to have.

I'd still buy an SNES mini (availability willing - I'm certainly not going out of my way to get one), but it's not a big deal. Although... if the SNES-mini had most of the games I already have, then I'd sell those for a nice little profit, but I doubt it will.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.