Caught: 35
Seen: 38
Level 8
Update

Caught: 100
Seen: 101
Level 24

Magikarp 124/400

I think this has been mentioned (i follow a few forums) but If you're going to spend any money on this game the extra storage really comes in handy. Also incubators to hatch eggs. The higher break out and run rate of low level pokemon are quite annoying. Lures are money around the national mall

Another observation: I now load up on incubators in groups of 8 to help keep track of my purchases. Buying them as needed felt like I was buying too many. So I'm now hatching all eggs at once. Since I started doing this I haven't gotten any 10KM eggs

Last edited by Deadpool; 08-11-16 at 06:02 AM.
Old 08-11-16, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Pokemon GO (IOS/Android)

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I haven't gotten the hang of the combat system. I've taken a few gyms, but have never held one more than a few hours (usually it is a matter of minutes). Has anybody actually held one long enough to get anything for it?
The gyms aren't really meant to be held for long. Basically in my area, you just take over a gym and collect your 10 coins before someone else takes the gym.
Old 08-11-16, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm noticing more of it. More frustrating though is having low level Pokemon (as low as 10CP Ratatta and Pidgey) continually break out. I've used as many as 6 Pokeballs to catch them, yet been bagging 300CP+ Pokemon on one try. Weird.
Yeah, after I posted that I realized that it seems to be exclusively affecting the most common Pokemon. Weedles, Ratatta and Pidgey are almost guaranteed to be a waste of balls for me at the moment. I've had two Excellent throws at 10 CP Weedles and they both escaped and ran away. Most of the time it's 4-6 escapes and then they run.
Old 08-11-16, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

My stats:

Start date: 7/7/16
Team: Mystic
Caught: 78
Seen: 79
Level: 19

My top CPs are
Exeggutor 1702
Vaporeon 1181
Snorlax 1023
Magmar 998
Flareon 995
Scyther 994
Old 08-11-16, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,253 Likes on 862 Posts

Originally Posted by Krayzie
The gyms aren't really meant to be held for long. Basically in my area, you just take over a gym and collect your 10 coins before someone else takes the gym.
Wait, what? Apparently I missed the "collect coins for taking a gym" thing ... I've taken several gyms (momentarily) but haven't gotten anything for doing so. Am I missing something?
Old 08-11-16, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

I have also been having the issue with multiple escapes but not just with the common creatures. Just today, I ran into one I had only seen once before. It was fairly low on CP, less than 300. I only used great balls and gave it a raspberry before each throw. I captured it 4 times before it ran away. So frustrating, especially considering how inconsistent it can be.
Old 08-11-16, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wait, what? Apparently I missed the "collect coins for taking a gym" thing ... I've taken several gyms (momentarily) but haven't gotten anything for doing so. Am I missing something?
Once you take a gym, click the ball at the bottom of the main screen and choose shop. Once there, click on the shield located on the top right of the screen. It should start a counter and tell you how much you will collect.

I didn't know about that either. I had a friend show me that just recently. So many missed coins ...
Old 08-11-16, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by clckworang
Once you take a gym, click the ball at the bottom of the main screen and choose shop. Once there, click on the shield located on the top right of the screen. It should start a counter and tell you how much you will collect.

I didn't know about that either. I had a friend show me that just recently. So many missed coins ...
I think I just caught a low-level SUNOVABEETCH.

Thanks for the lesson! I can't decide if this game is frustrating or interesting with its lack of instruction.
Old 08-11-16, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your pokemon has to be there 24 hours before you get coins. The longest I've held a gym has been 3 minutes. There is fast turnover in the DC area
Old 08-11-16, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

You can get a coin immediately after putting the Pokemon in the gym.

What sucks is, if you do that and you put others in gyms, you have to wait until the 24 hour timer expires to collect more coins - and if you lose the gym, you get no coins.
Old 08-11-16, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Music
You can get a coin immediately after putting the Pokemon in the gym.

What sucks is, if you do that and you put others in gyms, you have to wait until the 24 hour timer expires to collect more coins - and if you lose the gym, you get no coins.
Thanks for the clarification. A trusted source giving me bad info
Old 08-11-16, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Tried this a little bit ago ... Confirmed that you can collect 10 coins right away (and possibly some stardust, I'm not sure on that) by taking a gym. If you still hold the gym, you can also see how long you have held the gym in the "Shop" area -- a little countdown timer appears in the upper right hand corner (I currently have 18:51:27 until I get the reward).

Edited to add: it appears I have lost the gym as my designated Pokemon no longer has the marker by it. However, the countdown clock is still going in the "Shop" section. ??

It would be nice to be able to check in on gyms you are holding -- see who has added Pokemon, successful defenses, etc. -- without having to be right there.

Not sure how much value I see in the coins though. Possibly the extra storage would be nice, but everything else you can collect at Pokestops. What I need is stardust!
Old 08-12-16, 05:24 AM

Tried this a little bit ago ... Confirmed that you can collect 10 coins right away (and possibly some stardust, I'm not sure on that) by taking a gym. If you still hold the gym, you can also see how long you have held the gym in the "Shop" area -- a little countdown timer appears in the upper right hand corner (I currently have 18:51:27 until I get the reward).

Edited to add: it appears I have lost the gym as my designated Pokemon no longer has the marker by it. However, the countdown clock is still going in the "Shop" section. ??

It would be nice to be able to check in on gyms you are holding -- see who has added Pokemon, successful defenses, etc. -- without having to be right there.

Not sure how much value I see in the coins though. Possibly the extra storage would be nice, but everything else you can collect at Pokestops. What I need is stardust!
The timer is just to tell you how long you have to wait before you can collect more coins from holding a gym. I just save up coins to buy backpacks or egg incubators.
Old 08-12-16, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The timer is just to tell you how long you have to wait before you can collect more coins from holding a gym. I just save up coins to buy backpacks or egg incubators.
Ah ... so there is no real benefit for trying to hold more than one gym at a time. I thought it was the 21 hour timer for getting goodies from the gym.
Old 08-12-16, 10:25 AM

Ah ... so there is no real benefit for trying to hold more than one gym at a time. I thought it was the 21 hour timer for getting goodies from the gym.
If you are able to hold more than one gym at a time, you should do that before you redeem your coins. Each gym gives you 10 more coins up to a maximum of 100.
Old 08-13-16, 07:24 PM

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Another tip. If you spin 10 unique pokestops in 30 minutes (maybe less, my route does it in 15) you get double xp and items on the 10th.
Old 08-14-16, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thank you for clarifying that Krayzie!

DeFan - that may explain a few of my Pokestop "jackpots". I've been cruising some of the "Pokemon Rows" to stock up and rack up some distance for hatching eggs. I'm on crutches so I can't do much actual walking. Feels kind of weird cruising cemeteries, but we have a few historic ones with tons of Pokestops around here.
Old 08-15-16, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That does explain when I get a stop that really pays out. There's a trail I like to walk that isn't too long, but there are about seven stops. I always get one that gives me a lot more.

Any really strange stops for any of you? Something you wouldn't expect the game to feature? I was a little surprised that this one bar was a gym, but I was probably most surprised that a local head shop is a stop. I guess the kids have to learn about that stuff some time.
Old 08-15-16, 11:17 AM

That does explain when I get a stop that really pays out. There's a trail I like to walk that isn't too long, but there are about seven stops. I always get one that gives me a lot more.

Any really strange stops for any of you? Something you wouldn't expect the game to feature? I was a little surprised that this one bar was a gym, but I was probably most surprised that a local head shop is a stop. I guess the kids have to learn about that stuff some time.
The stops / gyms were taken from their other game Ingress. People submitted the locations.
Old 08-15-16, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I found a Pokestop that was an old picture of a Pokemon Bench. It was like Pokeception.
Old 08-15-16, 04:59 PM

Received 1,981 Likes on 1,166 Posts

The amount of new Pokémon I found walking to and from the theater at Mall of America is ridiculous. Not as ridiculous as how many Drowzees I found, too,but pretty ridiculous. Lures set all over the place, found Tauros, finally.
Old 08-16-16, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is there any rhyme or reason to the locations of Pokemon? I know water ones are supposed to be near water and certain ones only come out at night. Is there any "guide" on this topic?

What are some of the rarest?
Old 08-16-16, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by story
The amount of new Pokémon I found walking to and from the theater at Mall of America is ridiculous. Not as ridiculous as how many Drowzees I found, too,but pretty ridiculous. Lures set all over the place, found Tauros, finally.
I've caught maybe 4-5 Tauros, but not one damn Charmander!
Old 08-16-16, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Finally got my first Charmander today from a 2k egg. Haven't gotten much lately in the last week, stuck on 79/79.
Old 08-16-16, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The stops / gyms were taken from their other game Ingress. People submitted the locations.
I know that, but it doesn't make it any less amusing to me that one of the spots in a game largely targeting children is a place where you can buy a bong and some sex toys.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.