Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Story-based games?

Old 06-07-16, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Story-based games?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I didn't find anything obvious in searching.

My kid just finished Life Is Strange and was knocked out by the story. Are there other interesting story-based games that are worth trying? She's a Minecraft fan who liked the Story Mode game. I do have other Telltale games, and while she's not interested in Walking Dead or Borderlands, I thought Wolf Among Us might be worth trying. The Telltale Back to the Future and Jurassic Park might be promising as well.

She's also a fan of the story and voicework of the Uncharted series, so The Last of Us will be a must, but I'm holding off until I get a PS4 (currently have PS3, 360, and X1).

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 06-07-16, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Story-based games?

Just be sure you're aware that Wolf Among Us is a Mature rated game.

I loved story-based adventure games of the 90s, modern wise I can't think of a whole lot of them but I did enjoy Heavy Rain a lot.
Old 06-07-16, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Having just played through Jurassic Park a couple months ago, don't waste your time.

You might just want to grab TLoU on PS3. Easily the best story based game I've played in the past couple years. Also an M rated game, so don't let the fact that it's made by Naughty Dog fool you, because it earns that rating.
Old 06-08-16, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would look into the Monkey Island games if they're still available. The discs are getting pricey, but you may still be able to download them.
Old 06-08-16, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
I would look into the Monkey Island games if they're still available. The discs are getting pricey, but you may still be able to download them.
The Monkey Island games have remastered editions on PC and last gen (backwards compatible on XBox One) so that's an option.

The new King's Quest is decent and might be a nice "fairy tale" type thing for a younger player.
Old 06-08-16, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The classic adventure game Grim Fandango was recently updated for current gen consoles and last I checked was super cheap (it was a freebie one month for PS+). Wonderful game!
Old 06-08-16, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Day of the Tentacle!
Old 06-08-16, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I recently played through Until Dawn. Very fun. If she's into teen scream horror movies I'm sure she'd like it a lot.
Old 06-08-16, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Surprised nobody's said Quantum Break. I thought that was an excellent story-driven game, though the gameplay itself was a bit lacking.

Depending on her age, Witcher 3 might be worth recommending too. I thought that was just about a perfect melding of gameplay and story coming together organically. I'd also second Until Dawn once you have a PS4, assuming she's old/mature enough for it.
Old 06-08-16, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also wanted to throw out Heavy Rain, which got me interested in the genre to begin with. Great game despite having the dumbest fucking ending possible.
Old 06-08-16, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Metro: Last Light
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro:_Last_Light

When playing The Last of Us, I felt that they were both similar in terms of being story-driven.
Old 06-09-16, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! My kid is 15 so content is a concern for me, but it doesn't have to be G-rated.

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
Having just played through Jurassic Park a couple months ago, don't waste your time.

You might just want to grab TLoU on PS3. Easily the best story based game I've played in the past couple years. Also an M rated game, so don't let the fact that it's made by Naughty Dog fool you, because it earns that rating.
Yeah, my impression was that Back to the Future was of more interest than Jurassic Park.

And yeah, I've been hankering to play TLOU on PS3 for a long time but just never pulled the trigger for whatever reason. I feel like I'm close to getting the new PS4 but...

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
The Monkey Island games have remastered editions on PC and last gen (backwards compatible on XBox One) so that's an option.

The new King's Quest is decent and might be a nice "fairy tale" type thing for a younger player.
Funny thing is that I thought I'd picked up a Monkey Island game in the last 360 sale but I guess not. I do have that free episode of King's Quest so it'd be worth a try.
Old 06-09-16, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The new style of "adventure" games that seem popularized by Telltale are more story and choice based then the old school ones, that are more exploration and puzzle solving. It'll be interesting how someone views something like Monkey Island now
Old 06-09-16, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you are close to getting a PS4, TLoU is on sale for $19.99 at Best Buy this week ($15.99 GCU). Cheapest it's ever been.
Old 06-09-16, 02:47 PM

If she liked Life is Strange she may like Gone Home as well (currently free with PS Plus).
Old 06-10-16, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Humble Bundle has a bundle of "Narrative" games right now, i.e. games focused on story.
https://www.humblebundle.com/narrative-games-bundle

$1 min gives you Steam keys to 3 games, and paying a little more can get you 3-4 more games.