DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (11/15/2019: PC, PS4, XB1) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/634196-star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-11-15-2019-pc-ps4-xb1.html)

The Dude 03-31-20 10:13 AM

Re: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (11/15/2019: PC, PS4, XB1)

I think he's using a combo of the force pull and the slow objects ability (if I'm remembering right); so the block isn't actually stopping, it's just slowing enough for him to make the jump and the run (this is also about the point where I gave up on the game due to falling a room or two later).

timewaster 03-31-20 01:31 PM

i didnt find an option to lightly use force pull.
i figured out another option. i use slow after pulling so i can jump on it.
super tricky.

Michael Corvin 03-31-20 05:43 PM

I played through the entire game and never had to pull that combination of moves. Seems pretty cool though if you can pull it off.

slop101 03-31-20 05:48 PM

I did have do that combo force move once - wasn't too tough.

I did end up finishing the game - though I didn't go back for collectables.

Fun enough, I guess.

OldBoy 03-31-20 05:53 PM

Yeah, fun, but I can’t see revisiting. Would look forward to a more refined sequel...

K&AJones 06-25-21 08:39 AM

never ended up getting the game at the time; too many others in the mix...but it's on sale for $14 in the PS Store now....from others who played...what score you give it, any bugs and issues (combat, camera, bugs, etc...)...and did they ever add extra stuff?

Decker 06-25-21 08:44 AM

Just in case you weren't aware, It's on EA Access with Game Pass Ultimate. If you were going to get that anyway you wouldn't need to buy this.

Noonan 06-25-21 09:15 AM

Worth every penny of $14. Worst thing you can say about the game is there's some bad backtracking through levels which can be a bit annoying.

Maxflier 06-25-21 09:27 AM

I enjoyed the game quite a bit. Only complaint I can remember having was the Inquisitors are badass and should have been a bigger part of the game.

Mike86 06-25-21 10:27 AM

I liked it while I was playing it, but I never finished it. Some parts got too difficult for me and I kind of gave up at that point.

Obi-Wanma 06-25-21 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13949736)
I liked it while I was playing it, but I never finished it. Some parts got too difficult for me and I kind of gave up at that point.

I had a little issue with difficulty, but then then I realized that there is absolutely no penalty of any kind (achievements or otherwise) for lowering the difficulty, so I played the rest of the game on the easiest setting and had a lot more fun.

story 06-25-21 12:54 PM

I liked it but barely scratched the surface. 8 get frustrated when this happens because I'll play for a week or two, enjoy myself, then life gets busy and I step away for a few weeks or often more, and when I come back, I forgot where the story is or how to do the special moves. This happened last year for me for both Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and Spider-Man. I think that's why I default to Battlefield games, I can pick it up quickly.

Mike86 06-25-21 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 13949751)
I had a little issue with difficulty, but then then I realized that there is absolutely no penalty of any kind (achievements or otherwise) for lowering the difficulty, so I played the rest of the game on the easiest setting and had a lot more fun.

Maybe I’ll start over at some point and change the difficulty level. I’ve heard the story is quite good and has a good payoff at the end. Still own the game, just need to play through it.

milo bloom 06-25-21 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13949736)

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 13949751)

I started it on the easiest setting and I still got to a point where I kept having to backtrack and go around in circles in locations not knowing what to do. I was really enjoying the story, but if I took a break and went back, it was so hard to remember the moves and now it's probably been over a year and the longer I wait the harder I know it will be to get back in. And I would like to finish the story because there's apparently a big twist, plus I feel bad because my kid got it for me for Christmas (two years ago) and I didn't know how to tell him I'm just not good at these types of games.

K&AJones 06-26-21 07:24 AM

I DL it last night...probably one of the better deals out there now...unless you don't happen to have any of the last three Assassin Creed Games. Looking forward to it.....I'll post here in a few days my thoughts....tie me over till Aliens Fireteam Elite in August and Tribes of Midgard in late July...

K&AJones 06-27-21 07:06 PM

I finally got started but I'm trying to avoid spoilers and walkthrus....I've got to the first Planet after the rescue and now have to reach the Temple. I'm coming across two crates; one I can open and one saying I have to Fix Scomp. I was looking for a Workbench...found the one for the Lightsaber. Is there one or is it further in the story or what? And I assume this is part where some said they had to do some backtracking and go backwards...is it like this the whole game; able to grab something but have to come back on something else? Should I just do the Story and not try and grab everything the first time thru and just go back?

Michael Corvin 06-27-21 08:52 PM

It's a 15-20 hour game depending on how much you go hunting for stuff. No exaggeration, a good 40% of that is backtracking or wandering around aimlessly because you can't figure out where to go or can't make heads or tails of the map. Once you go through an entire level it doesn't simply move on storywise, you have to backtrack the entire level to your ship to move on. It's horrid game design and a cheap artificial way to pad the game length.

As for collecting stuff along the way, if you're enjoying the game, go for it but I collected everything and completely leveling/unlocking everything didn't really have an impact on finishing the game. It's a typical game in that way. By the time you unlock the higher tier stuff the game is basically over and you don't really get a chance to take advantage of those skills anyway so why break your back hunting for the chotchkies?

Grain of salt though as I'm one of the more vocal critics. $14 or free with GamePass is probably what it's worth, IMO. I think level headedness lost out by reviewers blinded by the OMG! A semi-competent Star Wars game! (key word: "semi") When in reality, if this wasn't set in the Star Wars universe it would have been panned for horrible game mechanics, and bombed. It would have been forgotten after a month.

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13949843)
And I would like to finish the story because there's apparently a big twist,

The "twist" is an overhyped wet fart of a cameo in what amounts to an interactive cutscene. You aren't missing anything. Just watch the YouTube video (around the 4:30 mark)
Spoiler:

Mike86 06-27-21 09:01 PM

Yeah, that was another thing I didn’t love about the game. I would prefer to be guided along rather than having to rely on directions and looking at the map to figure out where to go.

K&AJones 06-28-21 02:30 PM

I wasn't sure or not since I got to that first planet to go to the vault and I'm seeing cables, pipes and all sorts of stuff to go here and there but seems like I need other "Force Powers"...to get there...and there's no hint or icon saying otherwise...i'll just plug along and see I guess...thanks...

Michael Corvin 06-28-21 02:55 PM

I'm going off memory, but I do believe there was some minimal Metroidvania style backtracking to unlock stuff once you are stronger, not a lot though, IIRC.

gerrythedon 01-26-22 09:35 PM

EA and Lucasfilm Games have announced that developer Respawn Entertainment is working on three new Star Wars games, including a sequel to Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order.

Respawn, the developer of Titanfall 2, Apex Legends, and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, is working on a strategy game and a first-person shooter, both within the Star Wars universe, Lucasfilm Games revealed.

The sequel to Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order will be directed by Respawn's Stig Asmussen, continuing his role from the first game. The upcoming first-person shooter will be directed by Peter Hirschmann, who worked as executive producer on the original Star Wars Battlefront games from the mid-noughties.

“Working with Lucasfilm Games on a new FPS in the Star Wars galaxy is a dream come true for me, as this is a story I have always wanted to tell,” said Hirschmann.

Finally, the strategy game is being developed by a new studio collaborating with Respawn, with former XCOM and Civilization developer Greg Foertsch at the helm.

https://www.xboxachievements.com/new...ars-games.html

OldBoy 01-27-22 09:38 AM

i didn't hate Fallen Order at all. i played and finished. sure there were frustrating parts, the backtracking wasn't the most fun, but i thought it was a damn good 3rd person Star Wars game.

milo bloom 01-27-22 11:21 AM

I couldn't finish it. I sat it down for a while, and when I went back I had lost all the muscle memory of the moves and actions and now it's just sitting there on my hard drive.

Maxflier 01-27-22 12:57 PM

I enjoyed JFO quite a bit and look forward to another entry.

asianxcore 01-30-22 12:46 PM

After 2-years of owning a copy, I decided to finally crack the seal and hop into this game.

As others have mentioned, minus the backtracking and horrid map, the game is pretty fun and absolutely gorgeous to look at.

I'm enjoying the story, combat and seeing what else comes up on the Skill Tree.