Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

ARK: SURVIVAL EVOLVED- Dinos, Dodos, and Dragons Oh My! (PS4, PC)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-13-15, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

This is my dream game. I always wanted a Dinosaur hunting game ever since Jurassic Park

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aQM8yWoiy5s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-13-15, 08:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 606 Likes on 520 Posts
Re: ARK: SURVIVAL EVOLVED- Dinos, Dodos, and Dragons Oh My! (PS4, PC)

that looked epic!
Old 06-13-15, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is on Steam via Early Access. They seem pretty Ambitious and sounds like they have a great team of Devs behind this:

Why Early Access?
“ARK is a huge game, in terms of geographical space, scope of content, features, technology, and just about every other metric. We're a veteran team with some major hits behind our leads, and much of the core challenge is already met, but this is still an ambitious one for us. We want the player community's help to 'evolve' ARK into the dinosaur world game that we've been dreaming about since the days we played with plastic green T-Rex toys during elementary school recess, since we shed a tear to 'The Land Before Time', since we wistfully imagined the towering cities of 'Dinotopia', and since we nearly choked on our popcorn to the thrills of 'Jurassic Park'. We love games, and holy smokes do we ever love dinos (along with all sorts of other extinct creatures/natural sciences), and through interaction and iteration with the ARK's community, we think we have the best shot at creating the be-all, end-all long-term prehistoric universe that we want to live and thrive in. We have a great start, and with your valued input and contributions, we will take it all the way together!”
Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“Approximately 1 year, with a full release planned for June 2016 coinciding with the console versions.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“While we have the foundation of our game at Early Access launch, there are many currently-planned features and content additions we will be adding over the year from EA to full release. Beyond such planned features, will be adding TONS of aspects suggested or iterated on by the community, hence the point of Early Access!

Planned Core Features include, among many other things:

- Mac and Linux versions
- Procedurally Generated ARK's
- 40+ more creatures to reach over 70, with essentially every major category of extinct animal represented in some way
- More saddle types including saddle armor tiers and saddles with powerful weapons mounted on them
- Gas-powered Vehicles
- Human/Dino Body-Paints
- Enhanced building mechanics to evolve ARK into one of the best straight-up builder games out there
- More underwater biome/ecosystem complexity, including support for vacuum-sealed underwater bases
- Lots more items, weapons, armors and further advanced tech tiers
- More item skins, limited run event skins
- More bosses and the end-game cycle including the Ultimate Life Form & Ascension
- More biome types, including deserts, snow regions, swamps, and more.
- Steam Economy Support for Statistical Items (Need some Steam API functionality for this from Valve!)
- Way more plants and more detailed plant biology systems/farming systems
- More statistical modelling of status illnesses/diseases (both player and creature)
- Better SFX, more Music, Better UI's, Better Gamepad support (i.e. UI button shortcut callouts), Better VR support (i.e. HMD gun-aim option)

In addition to zillions of bug fixes, intensive performance improvements, mega iterative polishing, and what have you. The game will sparkle like a shiny diamond before it is considered ready for Full Release, and even then we plan on a long-term post-Release content lifecycle, with specialized ARK's on the drawing board.”
What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“Everything described on the full Features List is in the Early Access version right now -- not all 100% polished, but designed to be fun. Over the next year, the game will be rapidly iterated on with updates usually coming 3 times per week, almost always including new features, balance and polish improvements, and bug fixes. We are extremely fast at development, and will continue to push forward with maximum energy to make the game ever-greater on a daily basis. We live and breath game development, this is what we do.”
Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“Yes, the game will be lower priced through Early Access, relative to its final full-version retail price.”
How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
“We will have a Trello roadmap at Early Access launch, as well as massive & intense Forum interaction by the development team to gather ideas, feedback, and issues, along with a bi-weekly Q&A / Reddit AMA to involve everyone under the sun who wants to give us their 2 cents on how to make this game everything it can be! Essentially we view ARK's Early Access player community as our primary benefactors -- we're making this game to serve you. Join us on the ARK
Old 06-14-15, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 897 Likes on 570 Posts

Oh man...the weapons-on-saddles means we're basically getting Dino-Riders: The Video Game and that's ALL I'VE EVER WANTED.
Old 06-14-15, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks like the version of No Man's Sky that I actually want to play.
Old 06-14-15, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

My friend was playing this at work the other day on a private server. Ran like shit, and it looked like he was just running around chopping wood, but it looked kind of neat. I was mostly amused at your character having to poop and picking it right back up
Old 06-14-15, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Look like a Turok Dinosaur Hunter game to me. But that okay since I loved playing those games.
Old 06-14-15, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 675 Likes on 478 Posts

Looks badass to me. Turok went to shit after the first one so I'm totally down with this.
Old 06-14-15, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

If you guys are expecting more of an action shooter like Turok, from what I saw it's not remotely close to that. It's much slower and more of a big open world survival RPG type game, like some of the zombie games that have come out recently like DayZ or H1Z1.

My friend was saying how the world was persistent, so when you're logged off your body is laying there sleeping and people can abduct your body
Old 06-14-15, 10:35 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looked kind of boring to me but I can jive with what they're selling. Interesting stuff there.
Old 06-16-15, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've played abit of this on Steam. It's definitely far from an action game, at least it is right now. Lots of resource gathering and whatnot. Reminds me of a tropical version of Rust with a lot of its mechanics.
Old 12-15-15, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Early Access comes out tomorrow on Xbox One. I never buy early access games but i'm really tempted to get this one.

Is there a rule in place for Xbox One that they have to release the actual game within a sensible timeframe?
Old 12-16-15, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No rule that I know of, but the dev's of ARK have already stated it would be June 2016 or so. The early access price of $34.99 also will only be the price during the early access phase. It will go up once the full game releases.
Old 12-16-15, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 171 Likes on 116 Posts

Looks pretty fun, I'm intrigued.
Old 12-16-15, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're into the new wave of neverending building sims, this is one of the better ones.
Old 01-16-16, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can play a 60 min trial on XB1 now. I've never played this type of game. So I was just running around pooping and hitting people.
Old 07-06-16, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 210 Posts

Dumb question. My son wants this and it is currently on sale for $26 on the Xbox1.

I have never bought "early access" or a game before it has officially been released.

My dumb question is once he buys this game, he doesn't have to pay any more to access the "final" game, does he? I am assuming the early preview cost is the same as buying the whole game, you are just getting a rough version, correct? I just don't want him to buy this and then he finds out he has to pay more for the full game once it is released.
Old 01-02-17, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm surprised...I guess...I haven't seen much on this. It was just released on the PS4 in December but no posts no comments no nothing. So what's the latest or up with this in terms of community, co-op, etc...?