Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Bloodstained: RotN (Steam, PS4, XB1, Switch: 2019)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bloodstained: RotN (Steam, PS4, XB1, Switch: 2019)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-21, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts
Re: Bloodstained: RotN (Steam, PS4, XB1, Switch: 2019)

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Ori is art and gorgeous to look at and marvel. The story is rich and beautiful. Plus, you die. A lot and easily at one false imprecise movement of the joystick. The 2 couldn’t be more dissimilar in look, feel and certainly style. This is call back to Castlevania when it was 8-bit or whatever. This is of course spruced up and looks great, but in an entirely different way than Ori. Entirely.
Sounds like you might be playing one of the other Bloodstained games Curse of the Moon 1 & 2 because those are call backs to 8-Bit Castlevania. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is a modern looking Metroidvania with 3D graphics in a 2.5 playstyle. It's the same type of game as Ori so for you to say they couldn't be more dissimilar leads me to believe you must be playing one of the other titles.
Old 07-13-21, 07:35 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

Not even close. They are no where near similar in art or play style. No way. I know what I’m playing. I respect your opinion Quest, without question, but here I have to absolutely disagree that these two games, call them whatever, are similar in only that both are side scrollers.

Old 07-14-21, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

It's weird that you would post two snippets of the opening title screens, which actually look very very similar because of the colors. Not even a link to the gameplay you purport is different.

Again, these are all in the same genre, and it's not 2d side scrollers. I get that you don't feel that way but again:

sprite-like 2D go through one room to another, gain powers, stuff (much greater detail than Metroid of course) like Metroid games of old and Castlevania on like Gameboy.
About the only thing that I agree is way different is the art style which is mainly superficial. Even if you think Ori is too linear Ori 2 is definitely a Metroidvania.

In any case, my point wasn't to argue semantics but to say that if you like that type of games (and aren't just fixated on graphics) you should at least try Hollow Knight, which is amazing. Then stuff like Steamworld Dig 2, Blaster Master Zero, Axiom Verge, and the Messenger (though you have to stick with it). Maybe even Dead Cells. Like I said before, the genre has been an indy staple.
Old 07-14-21, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I beat this game way too soon - I fought and beat the final boss without knowing he was the final boss, so there was still like half the castle left to explore, but after beating him, I didn't really have the desire to go back.
Old 07-14-21, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
It's weird that you would post two snippets of the opening title screens, which actually look very very similar because of the colors. Not even a link to the gameplay you purport is different.

Again, these are all in the same genre, and it's not 2d side scrollers. I get that you don't feel that way but again:

About the only thing that I agree is way different is the art style which is mainly superficial. Even if you think Ori is too linear Ori 2 is definitely a Metroidvania.

In any case, my point wasn't to argue semantics but to say that if you like that type of games (and aren't just fixated on graphics) you should at least try Hollow Knight, which is amazing. Then stuff like Steamworld Dig 2, Blaster Master Zero, Axiom Verge, and the Messenger (though you have to stick with it). Maybe even Dead Cells. Like I said before, the genre has been an indy staple.
yes, but the video of what I posted shows Ori with the flowing everything. Eh, it doesn’t matter. I’ll try HK after this. Thanks fuji. The end.
Old 07-14-21, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I beat this game way too soon - I fought and beat the final boss without knowing he was the final boss, so there was still like half the castle left to explore, but after beating him, I didn't really have the desire to go back.
there are I think 3 iterations of "final boss"
Old 07-14-21, 07:18 PM

Aren’t there different endings too or something? Or is that another game?
Old 07-14-21, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Aren’t there different endings too or something? Or is that another game?
There's a boss that gets you to an end when you're about 55% done with the game, but it's less an ending and more an unsatisfying and baffling misdirection. I actually didn't really get the logic behind them doing it.

The other endings are at close to 100%. I'd honestly just glance at a guide once you get near there. What kinda sucks with the setup is the game is more fun and creative during that last half.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-14-21 at 08:25 PM.