Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Battlefront (2015)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: The Force will be with you. . . on which of the following gaming machines?
PC
8.99%
PS4
52.81%
Xbox One
38.20%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: Battlefront (2015)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-15, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Battlefront (2015)

Originally Posted by Gooter
I've been watching a lot of Twitch streams and noticed most play in 3rd person. Is there a benefit to it over 1st? Can see more of the area surrounding your character? Or more for nostalgia reasons?
Nostalgia and there are enough FPS out there.
Old 10-08-15, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Came home for lunch (12 noon eastern) and hoping this would be up for DL....any idea on just what time the beta is being released?
Old 10-08-15, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Came home for lunch (12 noon eastern) and hoping this would be up for DL....any idea on just what time the beta is being released?
It was released at 1pm (EST), I have it downloading now so that when I get home I can start playing.
Old 10-08-15, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Xbox One Beta.

PS4 Beta
Old 10-08-15, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking forward to giving this a try.
Old 10-08-15, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Never played a Battlefront game before. I downloaded the demo and played the 40 player battle at Hoth. It was really cool and the sound/graphics were great. May have to buy this game...
Old 10-08-15, 06:15 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Seems pretty fun, was already owning everybody

Lot of pop-in going on but i'll let it slide since its the beta

Sound volume seems low too, have to turn my reciever way up

Weird not having to reload, keep hitting square everytime i shoot
Old 10-08-15, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Party system in this is a fucking abortion.
Old 10-09-15, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

The game seems pretty fun so far but I'm terrible at it.
Old 10-09-15, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

@Slider, How so? I didn't join a party. Everything else I tried ran fairly well for a beta.

I played all three modes/maps. I'm very impressed and it was a blast to play! Definitely not getting rid of my pre-order. I know it is only a beta but I hope they have a ton more unlocks too. Also, I love how the powerups are NOT tied to kill streaks like CoD or at least the last CoD I played. This means average to below average players like myself still have a shot to be Vader, Luke, fly a Tie Fighter, etc.
Old 10-09-15, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Meh. I kept getting killed by things I couldn't see. I gave up and deleted it.
Old 10-09-15, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Played quite a bit last night and so far my opinion is...

Pros...
Visually DICE nailed it...the game really looks good and about everything they've touched has been solid. The landscape on all three maps were as detailed as you could get.
Zero Lag...we didn't experience any playing all three types. Only issue was servers being full.
Sound...about everything I heard was as close to Star Wars as it could...blasters, Ion Cannons, etc...
Menu...Granted we only has a small portion but it seemed ok..at first like the Star Card was confusing.
Gameplay....The 40 player Assault was fun and could be for about anyone including myself. Just a lot going on all over the place where you can do and play anything. The Drop Zone was nearly as fun but a quicker pace.

Cons
Party & Friend.....getting both of us in the same game let alone same team was a chore. We spent most the night playing in different ones or opposite sides. And when a new one opened up it filled up fast so if you have a groups say 4 or more wanting to play together...might be an issue.
Weapon upgrades...you have better weapons unlock as you level up but it appears the weapons themselves or at least in the beta stay the same with the exception you can equip it with a Ion Blaster to help take down shields. How this plays out remains but to have some upgrade options like you see in the Battlefield, COD or even Destiny would be nice to have.

Overall I had a good time with it even though I'm not super big on MP & PvP which leads me to the one "Big Con"....longevity. For those who are 100% into and does a majority of their gaming with the "Battlefield" MP type games this is a buffet of MP to suit your fancy. The 40 player Assault is epic while the Drop Zone is closer and quicker...but without any campaign mode (single or co-op) how long can the game hold your attention compared to others with SP, co-op, campaign, story, MP and extra DLC modes. It's like we asked last night...if Destiny was just like this, how many would've bought the game with it based on nothing but PvP with a touch of co-op.
Old 10-09-15, 08:58 AM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Loved Drop Zone. Seemed like a hybrid of Capture the Flag (scoring) and Headquarters (holding an area). The Sullust environment looked great. Now that I have some of the "hand" perks, I'll go back to the Assault mode (where I was getting my rear handed to me). While the outdoor environment of Hoth seemed kind of plain the interior of the Rebel base looked great. With all the action going on in the sky/background, it makes the battle feel huge.

Can't wait for the full game.
Old 10-09-15, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loved every second of this. The chaos during the Walker Assault is everything I've ever wanted from a Star Wars game. Can't wait for the full game.
Old 10-09-15, 10:04 AM

@Slider, How so? I didn't join a party. Everything else I tried ran fairly well for a beta.
Well, Sauce and I were trying to join a match together and first it said we needed to be in the same PSN party, so we did that. Then we found out that we had to link up as partners, so we did that. Then it kept telling us that one of us was trying to join a match when we weren't, or that we were already in a match when we weren't.

It took us a few minutes of entering servers and backing out until we finally both got into the same match, because one person joining a match doesn't automatically pull the partner into the same one. The whole system seems needlessly convoluted and broken.
Old 10-09-15, 10:07 AM

Granted it is just the beta, but it seems like one of the key features they'd want to make sure is working properly if they want to sell a game that is strictly online MP.
Old 10-09-15, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
The game seems pretty fun so far but I'm terrible at it.
Same here. I love the gameplay but I suck at it as well. I have this pre-ordered at GameStop but will most likely cancel it. I'm glad I found this out now instead of wasting 60 bucks on a game I'm horrible at playing. Guess this is what I get for mainly playing just sports titles.
Old 10-09-15, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Overall I had a good time with it even though I'm not super big on MP & PvP which leads me to the one "Big Con"....longevity. For those who are 100% into and does a majority of their gaming with the "Battlefield" MP type games this is a buffet of MP to suit your fancy. The 40 player Assault is epic while the Drop Zone is closer and quicker...but without any campaign mode (single or co-op) how long can the game hold your attention compared to others with SP, co-op, campaign, story, MP and extra DLC modes. It's like we asked last night... if Destiny was just like this, how many would've bought the game with it based on nothing but PvP with a touch of co-op.
I havent played the beta, but based on the videos I've seen and the fact that it's DICE, I'd say this game plays much more like Battlefield than Destiny. And the overwhelming majority that buy Battlefield, do it for the multiplayer. I know people have said that this won't be Star Wars Battlefield, but it sure looks like it is to me. I don't think Destiny is a proper comparison.
Old 10-09-15, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

@Mike and Sonny
Something to think about... you will (or should) get better the more you play it. Not saying you will be a superstar or anything but you will learn the maps, find a playstyle that suits you, etc. I sucked at Destiny's PvP at first but could hold my own (average player) by the end. I think there is a video in the Destiny thread of my prowess on the battlefield for one match.

But, I realize $60 is a lot to ask if you're not feeling it now.
Old 10-09-15, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by 19K
I havent played the beta, but based on the videos I've seen and the fact that it's DICE, I'd say this game plays much more like Battlefield than Destiny. And the overwhelming majority that buy Battlefield, do it for the multiplayer. I know people have said that this won't be Star Wars Battlefield, but it sure looks like it is to me. I don't think Destiny is a proper comparison.

I really wasn't comparing or at least didn't intend to but more or less asking..."If Destiny was coming out and the game was almost all MP/PvP base like Battlefront is, would those playing it now still would've bought it with it lacking any campaign & story". It would be say like if MS came out with a straight up all MP/PvP Halo game, would a vast majority of Halo players still get it. Some won't get a game if it lacks MP/PvP period while some won't get a game if it lacks a campaign/story/co-op.
Old 10-09-15, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I underestimated how much I suck at games like this, apparently I'm worse than ever before. Did three matches and I'm something like 4 for 50. Last match alone I went 1 for 27. It's like everyone has perfect aim and I'm just complete shit. I guess I'm getting to old for this shit.
Old 10-09-15, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After MW3 and Titanfall I just kept wanting a boost jump.
Old 10-09-15, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
It's like everyone has perfect aim and I'm just complete shit.
Try not playing as a Stormtrooper.
Old 10-09-15, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by xmiyux
After MW3 and Titanfall I just kept wanting a boost jump.
It's a Star Card you can unlock
Old 10-09-15, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pinata242
Try not playing as a Stormtrooper.
No joke, I'm pretty sure I was a secret rogue Rebel Stormtrooper.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.