Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Life is Strange (5 eps on 360,XO,PS3,PS4,PC) - Time Lords and hipsters, apply within

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Life is Strange (5 eps on 360,XO,PS3,PS4,PC) - Time Lords and hipsters, apply within

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-16, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Life is Strange (5 eps on 360,XO,PS3,PS4,PC) - Time Lords and hipsters, apply wit

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Fuck Warren!
Wasn't an option
Old 07-09-16, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Life is Strange (5 eps on 360,XO,PS3,PS4,PC) - Time Lords and hipsters, apply wit

Originally Posted by RichC2
Wasn't an option
I must have played the Japanese Hentai knock off.
Old 07-09-16, 10:42 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I must have played the Japanese Hentai knock off.
Same. The tentacle sequence went on a bit too long for my liking.
Old 07-09-16, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Visiting relatives with a PS4, I re-downloaded this game to let a couple of Jr. High-age nieces start playing. While I can't experience this game for the first time again, it was fun watching a couple of others do so. We finished a couple of chapters, but they're already asking their parents for money to download the game themselves. The end of episode 2 was a shocker for them:

Spoiler:
Even though they did all the nice anti-bullying things for Kate (erase mean messages, answer her calls, give her advice), they made the mistake of telling Kate to think about how much her mother will miss her ... and Kate killed herself. Their reaction was "Wait ... what?!?!? Nooooooooo!!! Rewind! Rewind! Rewind!!!"

To be fair, you only know about Kate's bad relationship with her mother if you snoop through her room. And snooping's not something you do to friends. Though when I play games, I can't help but snoop everything I can (so I saved Kate in my playthrough).

I can just imagine how the upcoming shocking twists/decisions will hit them (paralyzed Chloe, psycho Jefferson, save Chloe or town decision).
Old 07-10-16, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I am almost through the first episode and this game isn't really doing anything for me. I see all the praise. Should I stick with it. If you don't care after the first episode, should you continue? Is it more of the same or does it ramp up after the first episode?
Old 07-10-16, 11:40 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I say play the first two episodes. End of episode two is a big deal. If you're still not into it by then, this game just isn't for you.
Old 07-10-16, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Yeah, I can see some thinking it starts slow, but I'd go with what Dan said. Stick with it for a bit longer to give it a fair shake.
Old 07-10-16, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

The coverart with the girl's face almost looks like Taylor Swift.

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Strange-...is+strange+ps4
Old 07-10-16, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I believe the game is a true story of Taylor Swift's life.
Old 07-10-16, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Looks more like Natalie Portman to me.
Old 07-20-16, 08:31 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Head's up to all of you who still haven't played this:
https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/st...55988116963328

Episode one is going 100% free tomorrow. It's a good chance to play through it and see if the game is for you.
Old 07-27-16, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.legendary.com/legendary-d...igital-series/

Legendary Digital Studios Partners with Square Enix and dj2 to Adapt Award Winning Episodic Videogame Life Is Strange™ into Digital Series

First game episode now free to download on PlayStation, Xbox, Mac and PC

BURBANK, Calif., July 27, 2016 – Legendary Digital Studios and Square Enix will join forces on the development of a digital series based on the critically acclaimed, multi award-winning video game, Life Is Strange™, it was announced today by Greg Siegel, Senior Vice President of Development and Production for Legendary Digital Studios. The project will be developed and produced in conjunction with Dmitri Johnson and Dan Jevons of dj2 Entertainment who recently produced the upcoming film Sonic the Hedgehog for Sony Pictures. Life is Strange™ was brought into Legendary by Cory Lanier who will oversee the project with Siegel.

Life Is Strange™ follows the story of photography enthusiast Max Caulfield, a high-school senior who discovers she can rewind time while saving her best friend Chloe Price. The pair soon find themselves investigating the mysterious disappearance of fellow student Rachel Amber, which uncovers a dark side to life in Arcadia Bay. In addition to winning the BAFTA for Best Story, the Peabody Award, the Golden Joystick’s Performance of the Year and The Game Awards’ Games for Impact Award, Life Is Strange™ has garnered over 75 Game of the Year awards and listings.

“Life is Strange™ is one of those rare properties that combines incredibly developed characters and storylines with deeply engaging gameplay,” said Siegel. “It lends itself perfectly to live-action imaginings. We couldn’t be more excited to partner with Square Enix, DONTNOD Entertainment and dj2 to bring the world of Arcadia Bay to life in an exciting new way.”

“We’re proud and excited to be working alongside Legendary to realise a new version of Arcadia Bay and Blackwell Academy complete with our rich cast of realistic, believable characters and memorable events,” said Jon Brooke, VP Brand and European Marketing at Square Enix. “Now that the first episode of the Life is Strange™ game is free to download on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Mac and PC, there’s never been a better time to play or to introduce a friend to the beautiful world of Arcadia Bay”.
Old 08-16-16, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, I bought this during the last xbox one sale. I finished it the other night and really liked it a lot. I thought it was the best story telling in a videogame I have seen (not that I have played that many games with quality storytelling). Generally I think videogames aren't well written at all when compared to quality novels, movies and tv shows. However, I think I would actually point to this game as an example of the kind of quality that is possible with the medium. I really liked it a lot.
Old 08-18-16, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
So, I bought this during the last xbox one sale. I finished it the other night and really liked it a lot. I thought it was the best story telling in a videogame I have seen (not that I have played that many games with quality storytelling). Generally I think videogames aren't well written at all when compared to quality novels, movies and tv shows. However, I think I would actually point to this game as an example of the kind of quality that is possible with the medium. I really liked it a lot.
you forgot to answer!

Did you kiss Chloe?
Did you kill the plant in your room by over or under watering it?
Did you Hug, Kiss, Diss or Fuck Warren!?

Old 08-18-16, 07:52 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

We need to put those questions in a wikipost at the top of the page.

But
Spoiler:
Fucking Warren is never an option
Old 08-18-16, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
you forgot to answer!

Did you kiss Chloe?
Did you kill the plant in your room by over or under watering it?
Did you Hug, Kiss, Diss or Fuck Warren!?

Yes
watered it once
kissed, though he deserved a little more than that I thought.

One thing that I found interesting was after each chapter there were a number of items like "choose not to do this or that" and I'm like, I had no idea that was even there. I also didn't bother trying to get every picture. I was mostly focused on story choices. I think that some of the video game troupes like all of the pictures would have detracted from the experience had I tried to engage in them. Someone posted about feeling weird that you had to snoop around a friends room to discover a piece of information to make the "correct" choice when talking with the person on the roof. Little things like that seemed out of place. Overall though, I think that the game was great.
Old 08-18-16, 03:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by orangecrush
Yes
watered it once
kissed, though he deserved a little more than that I thought.

One thing that I found interesting was after each chapter there were a number of items like "choose not to do this or that" and I'm like, I had no idea that was even there.
Yeah, those were all inconsequential to the main story. There's one girl you can save from getting hurt/splashed/whatever in each episode, for example.

I also didn't bother trying to get every picture. I was mostly focused on story choices. I think that some of the video game troupes like all of the pictures would have detracted from the experience had I tried to engage in them.
Agreed. Things like that are good for a second playthrough, but generally distract from the game if you're not inclined to do that kind of stuff.

Someone posted about feeling weird that you had to snoop around a friends room to discover a piece of information to make the "correct" choice when talking with the person on the roof. Little things like that seemed out of place. Overall though, I think that the game was great.
Always cool to see people getting into it. In terms of storytelling and characters, this game is top-notch.

And if anyone has 600 Square-Enix points to spare:
Life is Strange - Vinyl Soundtrack & Score
That's the only way to get the soundtrack on vinyl, apparently. I want it so bad, but you have to make like $300 in purchases to get that many points.
Old 08-18-16, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan

But
Spoiler:
Fucking Warren is never an option

are u sure?
Fuck Warren!
Old 09-28-16, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Square Enix is streaming some of the voice cast of the game playing the game.

Life Is Strange - Ep 2 w/ Hannah Telle (Max), Dayeanne Hutton (Kate) & Nik Shriner (Nathan)

https://www.twitch.tv/squareenix

Here's the first episode - https://www.twitch.tv/squareenix/v/80330370
And second episode from the start - https://www.twitch.tv/squareenix/v/91898843
Old 12-21-16, 07:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

This is $5. What kind of game is this? I've read some reviews, but really didn't explain gameplay. Couldn't find any video reviews. Do you control a player?
Old 12-21-16, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

You've got to seriously be trolling us right now.
Old 12-21-16, 07:59 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

why?
Old 12-21-16, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts

Just buy it.
Old 12-21-16, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy
This is $5. What kind of game is this? I've read some reviews, but really didn't explain gameplay. Couldn't find any video reviews. Do you control a player?
Open world, third person cover based shooter with some light RPG elements. There is also a great mini game that doesn't get much discussion for some reason, that uses the Kinect/PS4 camera where Max hunts for Wowzers (the alien threat disrupting the time stream) in your living/gaming room.
Old 12-21-16, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by atxbomber
Open world, third person cover based shooter with some light RPG elements. There is also a great mini game that doesn't get much discussion for some reason, that uses the Kinect/PS4 camera where Max hunts for Wowzers (the alien threat disrupting the time stream) in your living/gaming room.
Stop being an enabler!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.