Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Steam chat help

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-15, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Steam chat help

Not sure if this should go in here or tech, but I am having a problem and I can't seem to find an answer. Because I do almost all my internet browsing from my work computer on breaks and lunch, most sites are blocked which may provide and answer although I am having a tough time even pulling up the results I want in a Google search.

OK, my son who is deaf is 10 and plays games via Steam on the PC. He almost exclusively plays multiplayer which I have almost no familiarity with. Recently someone has been using profanity and being mean to him via the onscreen chat (which I wasn't even thinking about as I don't play and every time I have sat with him or checked on him, it just hasn't come up). The only reason I found out is while he was at my house, one of my ex-wives friends came over with their kid and he went on the PC to play and this guy started up with the cursing and mean stuff. He immediately told my ex who told me. When asked, my son just signed that it was a gaming friend and he just ignored that stuff. I told him that anyone who talks to you like that is not a friend and to come tell me or my ex if it happens again.

So if you have stayed though my overly long background post, thank you. My question is if it is possible to either ban people from chatting in these games, or is there a profanity filter I can enable to stop or at least reduce this type of stuff. I have had it easy in some ways because with no sound on games, he isnt even aware of the stupid stuff people say via headsets, but this chat thing was news to me, I only game on console and obviously that isn't something that occurs.

Thanks for any help. I would hate to have him not be able to play just because of some low IQ idiots with a keyboard and a bad attitude.
Old 01-22-15, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Steam chat help

I took a look at my Steam client and there's a basic option if you click on someone's name on your friend's list for "Block All Communication"

I can't find anything regarding a basic profanity filter with the built in chat client though.

Also, you might need/want to confirm that the chat is with the Steam chat client itself versus whatever chat that might be built in to the game he's actually playing.
Old 01-23-15, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

oh, it is probably built into the game itself. And even though he calls them "friends" he doesn't actually have any on a list from what I can tell, it is just the random people that play on the games he plays.
Old 01-23-15, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If built into the game, I am probably SOL, huh?
Old 01-23-15, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Probably depends on what game it is. Any idea what he's playing?