Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Hatred

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-14, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Hatred

Originally Posted by mhg83
You have to wonder where the line should be drawn with these types of violent games? Will there be a school shooting level? How bout a daycare that lets you kill infants? Where should the devs stop at?
Supposedly there is a level with innocent people trying to exit a cave, but there are always a group of guys standing around killing hundreds of them per hour.

It's awful, but you have to ask yourself, are the loot drops worth it?
Old 10-16-14, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,772 Likes on 2,703 Posts

Gamespot posted a story about this

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gam.../1100-6423001/

[UPDATE 2] Epic Games, the owner of video game development engine Unreal Engine 4, issued a statement today to GameSpot on Hatred's use of the technology.

"Epic Games isn't involved in this project. Unreal Engine 4 is available to the general public for use 'for any lawful purpose,' and we explicitly don't exert any sort of creative control or censorship over projects. However, the video is using the trademarked Unreal Engine 4 logo without permission from Epic, and we've asked for the removal of our logo from all marketing associated with this product."

[UPDATE 1] A representative for Destructive Creations has responded to GameSpot's request for comment regarding Hatred. The studio confirmed that it does indeed plan to release the game, and would like to launch on Steam or GOG, if they allow it.

"Yes, we really plan to release this game publicly and for PC only," the studio said. "We're too small [a] team to develop it on any other platform at the moment. We really wish to release [a] digital version through Steam and GoG, but actually we have no idea if they will let us to do this, because of all the sh**storm the game is delivering. We really would like to find a publisher for retail version also, but it might be hard for the same reason."
Old 10-16-14, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
At least that game let you skip that level if you were uncomfortable with it. You were also playing an undercover operative surrounded by terrorists, so it's not like you were the "bad guy" per se.

Can I skip all the shit in Hatred and just see the credits? Will I still get the achievements?
That's what I refereed to earlier. I wouldn't have a problem with this is there was a legitimate organic story involving it. But this is just violence for violence sake. At least No Russian made sense from a story perspective.
Old 10-17-14, 01:08 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No Russian was cool. Dunno if there was anything ever like that before but that was a first for me with something like that. Neat thing to inject to a game's controlled narrative scenario.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 10-17-14 at 03:13 AM.
Old 10-17-14, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So this is just like a murder simulator. There's no gaming involved running around like a psychopath.

Who thought this was a good idea?
Old 10-17-14, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by discostu1337
Actually looks pretty fun, but will probably play like shit if it ever even gets made. People need to stop taking games too seriously....there's movies based on this exact thing and nobody gives a shit.
I don't think it looks particularly fun, but I'm not a big fan of top-down shooters. That said, there certainly is a double standard in how people react to games vs any other media. I'm sure part of it stems from being forced to identify with the character you're playing as in a game, though something like the recent remake of Maniac does just as much to put you inside a psychopath.

Anyway, the only way I see something like this getting made and having any success is if it was based on an existing property. If you were Jason stalking Crystal Lake, Meyers in Haddonfield or Freddy jumping into kid's nightmares, the outcry would be far less, though the owners of those properties would probably never risk the potential backlash such a game could cause.
Old 10-17-14, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
At least that game let you skip that level if you were uncomfortable with it. You were also playing an undercover operative surrounded by terrorists, so it's not like you were the "bad guy" per se.

Can I skip all the shit in Hatred and just see the credits? Will I still get the achievements?
Also, you don't have to kill any civilians during the attack to pass the level and doing so has no impact on the game in terms of the story, score or achievements. Killing the terrorist will fail the mission and the player needs to fight off the military when it shows up at the end.
Old 10-17-14, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the game looked super over the top and silly. I have absolutely no problem (virtually) killing mass amounts of innocent people. However, last night, I found out that the CEO of the developer is in the PDL (Polish Defence League), which is an overtly anti-Muslim group. Definitely something I can't support on any level, so now this little game is going to be forgotten by me.
Old 10-17-14, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

I watched "The Purge" last night... is it like that?
Old 10-17-14, 08:31 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Reminds me of other old exploitation games like Postal.
Looks like a remake of the first Postal game (isometric view, run around killing innocents).
Old 10-17-14, 09:57 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,221 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by Obey The D
Supposedly there is a level with innocent people trying to exit a cave, but there are always a group of guys standing around killing hundreds of them per hour.

It's awful, but you have to ask yourself, are the loot drops worth it?
I love this post.
Old 10-17-14, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Music
I watched "The Purge" last night... is it like that?
It probably will suck as much as The Purge did, yes.
Old 10-17-14, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I will suck you!.... oh wait.... no!
Old 10-17-14, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 10-17-14, 10:53 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

#PurgeClub
Old 10-17-14, 06:10 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Harking back to the Thrill Kill controversy on PS 1

This game looks awesome ! there is no difference to this and watching the movie Rampage

This will only negatively influence those who are really sick to begin with and will commit the crimes regardless

And then there are people who are ultimately no real danger but may have certain fantasies. This may be enough to satisfy those fantasies and lead it to go no further

Look at Japan, a much lower rape rate than the US but rape themed erotica is highly popular so you would think that would lead to more rape but it does the opposite. People use them to exorcise their fantasies.
Old 10-17-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Original Desmond

This game looks awesome ! there is no difference to this and watching the movie Rampage

This will only negatively influence those who are really sick to begin with and will commit the crimes regardless

And then there are people who are ultimately no real danger but may have certain fantasies. This may be enough to satisfy those fantasies and lead it to go no further

Look at Japan, a much lower rape rate than the US but rape themed erotica is highly popular so you would think that would lead to more rape but it does the opposite. People use them to exorcise their fantasies.
Old 10-17-14, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Original Desmond

So basically, what you are telling us is that you have rape fantasies? Good to know.
Old 10-17-14, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 259 Likes on 189 Posts

Original Desmond is Japanese?
Old 10-17-14, 07:21 PM

Using this logic, Coca-Cola must be the least popular drink in the world because it's also the most advertised. People can exorcise their Coke-drinking fantasies by watching commercials.
Old 10-17-14, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Original Desmond is Japanese?
Not sure about that, but I don't think he's from the US.
Old 12-15-14, 08:58 PM

Removed from Steam Greenlight:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...eam-greenlight
Old 12-15-14, 09:00 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Not surprised...
Old 12-15-14, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What the fuck is wrong with people?
Old 12-15-14, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MoviePage
What the fuck is wrong with people?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+the+fuck+i...with+people%3F

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.