Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Planetside 2 (PS4/PC)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-14, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planetside 2 (PS4/PC)

PS4 version almost here: 2,000 player sci-fi MMO FPS, free to play, no PS Plus required, classes, vehicles, mechs

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oGtSpl-LbD0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reviews from PC release:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6rwGPQHBbb0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gCBTN_3wQ8g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by chess; 06-12-14 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-12-14, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Planetside 2 (PS4/PC)

Planetside 2 (PS4) Hands On - Perfectionism Takes Time

It won't hit the market for a while, but it will be worth the wait.

Until today, I had been angrily using the phrase "Duke Nukem Forever" to describe the release schedule for the PlayStation 4 edition of Planetside 2. I know that's probably a little harsh, but Planetside 2 was one of the very first titles that Sony teased for the PlayStation 4 when the system was announced last year. Originally, the game was going to be released during the console's launch window, but shortly before the PS4 hit the market, Planetside was delayed until "early 2014."

Now, I'm not very good at operating a calendar, but I think we're about half way through the year and Planetside 2 still isn't installed on my PS4, which makes me feel all kinds of negative emotions.

Thankfully, the title isn't stuck in developmental purgatory. In fact, today I spent a little quality time chatting with the developers and playing Planetside 2, and those negative emotions magically turned positive.

Planetside fans will be happy to know that the visuals really flex the PlayStation 4's graphical muscles. For anyone who might be thinking about making the transition from PC, the graphics probably won't be a disappointment. Though, if you're one of those people who owns a $3,000 graphics card, you might regret making the switch.

But if you're one of those people, why would you even consider making the switch in the first place?

According to Luke Sigmund, the game's lead designer, the development team has been spending a lot of time on control pad mechanics. Porting a video game is nitpicky work, and the Planetside team wants to get things just right.

"Right now, we're still working on aim assist, trying to get it right" Sigmund said. "We don't want it to be too strong or not strong enough. We're trying to get it right, and that's definitely been the hardest part of the process."

Sigmund and his team are obviously perfectionists, which is a good thing. During my time behind the control pad, the mechanics felt silky smooth, but Sigmund describes the controls as "about 70 percent complete."

Even after the Planetside crew finishes tweaking the controller setup, they still have a laundry list of items that need to completed before the game will be ready for public consumption. But Sigmund is confident that the game will be ready in 2014.

"We're aiming for sometime this year," he said. "We haven't given the date yet, but we're having a beta relatively soon. And we'll see how that goes and decide what happens next."
PlanetSide 2 on PlayStation 4: played at E3 2014

This isn't the first year that I've bumped into PlanetSide 2 at E3, having played it on PC in years past. But this is the first time that Sony Online Entertainment has had a full-on playable version of the PlayStation 4 version available for a hands-on session. After a lengthy session of shooting and blasting away with rocket launchers, it certainly feels like the free-to-play MMOFPS is well on its way to making a successful transition.

While the PlayStation 4 version of PlanetSide 2 isn't quite finished, given that the development team is still ironing out some UI kinks, the shooting still feels as solid as it ever has. If anything, I felt better handling a DualShock 4 when searching for enemies. The shoulder button control scheme should feel comfortable for any console FPS player, with L2 used to aim down sights, L1 used for special abilities, and R2 used to gun down enemies. It's easy enough to get the hang of that I quickly racked up a kill streak, something I once thought unthinkable after previously playing on PC.

However, the controls aren't quite perfect, which is where the PS4 version has hit somewhat of a snag. The developers point out that while infantry controls are smooth, vehicle controls are feeling somewhat clunky. While I witnessed tanks and aircraft moving about during my session, they weren't doing so very gracefully. In fact, I saw an aircraft accidentally plow right into a mountain at one point. Refining vehicle controls is among the PlanetSide 2 team's top priorities.

On a more positive note, PlanetSide 2 looks every bit as beautiful on PS4 as it does on PC. Creative director Matt Higby previously boasted that the PS4 version would be like the PC version set to Ultra. Having seen it for myself on a 50" HDTV, it's somewhat difficult to dispute that claim. The framerate ran smooth throughout and there were no visible tears or glitches to be found. On top of being a solid shooting experience, it should be a pleasant visual one for PS4 owners, as well.

Of course, Higby wasn't about to let an E3 pass without giving some good news to PlanetSide 2's PC fanbase. The long-awaited Hossin is in line to release in July and the team is looking to issue it simultaneously with the new continent lock feature. A new Outfit class update is also expected to arrive in the next few weeks.

The PlayStation 4 version of PlanetSide 2 is expected to release later this year, with many of the PC updates included.

Last edited by chess; 06-12-14 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-12-14, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

So the latest is still "sometime this year"? Sorry but if this game arrives "Sometime" in late August and on then might as well forget it.

June is completely dry....
July is mostly dry but picks up late with Oddworld and then The Last of Us the 29th.
August brings Diablo III and Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare
September brings Destiny which everyone is waiting on and NHL
October the game floodgates open up with a bevy of choices..AC Unity, Driveclub, Evolve, Dragons Age, Middle Earth, Battlefield and NBA
November is small but solid with Far Cry 4, COD and The Crew

June and July would be ideal and a prime release dat for Planetside but at this point they still cnnot pin down a date then the game still has issues and a bit iffy. The longer they continue to push back the bigger the chance fewer will join considering the lineup till the end of the year.
Old 06-12-14, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

This would be a perfect summer game but they are pissing that opportunity away.
Old 06-12-14, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I suspect that Planetside and Destiny will be my big fall games, and both betas will be out in the next couple of months.

Agree that it would have been a great summer release, but I think they have longer term plans for this than your average shooter with lots of updates and additions. With that in mind, I'll bet they want to make a strong first impression whenever they release.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qZfR9ONunWw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-12-14, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll no doubt play and get involved as it was one of the highlights and reason for getting the PS4..the FTP games like Warframe. But looking back this was originally penciled in last year after the PS4 came out and seems each update it gets pushed a little further back. It's bad enough this might come out September-November but just imagine if The Order, The Division and Batman was still on track and not bumped.

And Planetside is no play 1-2 times a week it seems...far more commitment and as he said can involve "hundreds and hundreds of hours". Looking at the PC Forums it's evident this can take up serious amount of time. I'm in for Destiny but can't ignore AC:Unity, Diablo II, Far Cry 4, Driveclub and even Dragons Age. I guess it'll be a wait and see for me but starting July 29th with The Last of Us it's going tough to squeeze in more games.
Old 06-12-14, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

My problem is that I tend to want to spend more time playing the games that I actually paid for than free to play games. During the drought season would be the best time to lasso us in to play this but the farther along they push it the more it recedes into the back of my mind and the more I start look forward to playing other things on the horizon.
Old 06-12-14, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by K&AJones
I'll no doubt play and get involved as it was one of the highlights and reason for getting the PS4..the FTP games like Warframe. But looking back this was originally penciled in last year after the PS4 came out and seems each update it gets pushed a little further back. It's bad enough this might come out September-November but just imagine if The Order, The Division and Batman was still on track and not bumped.

And Planetside is no play 1-2 times a week it seems...far more commitment and as he said can involve "hundreds and hundreds of hours". Looking at the PC Forums it's evident this can take up serious amount of time. I'm in for Destiny but can't ignore AC:Unity, Diablo II, Far Cry 4, Driveclub and even Dragons Age. I guess it'll be a wait and see for me but starting July 29th with The Last of Us it's going tough to squeeze in more games.
Last of Us isn't really that long of a game, but the multiplayer looks pretty awesome, so that might be a time sink. The only retail games confirmed for 2014 that have my attention right now are GTA 5, Last of Us (skipped them last year), Far Cry 4 and (oddly) Call of Duty. For me, Planetside easily takes priority over all of those...if it runs and plays well on PS4.
Old 06-12-14, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
My problem is that I tend to want to spend more time playing the games that I actually paid for than free to play games.
You'll come around and will eventually buy fewer retail games as a result. I own one disk for my PS4, but I play my PS4 almost every night.

Planetside may or may not be the game that gets your attention, but something will. You still need to play Warframe BTW.
Old 12-06-14, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

PlanetSide 2 for PlayStation 4 closed beta sign-ups begin

http://www.shacknews.com/article/873...sign-ups-begin

PlanetSide 2 is taking part in this weekend's PlayStation Experience, but Sony Online Entertainment also has some good news for those that were unable to attend this weekend's festivities. The long-awaited PlayStation 4 version's closed beta is fast approaching and SOE has opened the sign-up page.

Though the development team has noted in the past that cross-play between the PS4 and PC versions won't be possible, the PS4 version looks to stand toe-to-toe with its PC counterpart. For a reminder, you can check out our E3 impressions from earlier this year.

There's no word on when the closed beta will begin, but those interested in taking part of the PlanetSide 2 closed beta on PS4 can sign up on the game's home page.

https://www.planetside2.com/ps2onps4
Old 06-03-15, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Free-To-Play Shooter PlanetSide 2 Launches This Month On PS4

Having been in beta for the last few months, with tens of thousands of players participating, Sony announced today that PlanetSide 2 is releasing for the PlayStation 4 on June 23 in North America and Europe.

For the PS4 version of PlanetSide 2, the developers have “put a lot of effort into streamlining and improving the feature set so that PS4 players will have the ultimate massive-scale, FPS gaming experience.” They’re also bringing along some unique features currently exclusive to PS4, including the new battle map, Koltyr.

In the weeks and months after launch, the developers will “continue to further improve and enhance the gameplay experience.” This includes frequent game updates, which will bring deeper features, holiday events and content, new in-game marketplace items, and much more.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oGtSpl-LbD0?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...netside-2-ps4/
Old 06-25-15, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What's the latest on this with the servers and other bugs? I've seen some get on and say the latest patch fixed a few things while others say problems like even getting on are still there. I DL it last night and plan on trying to hop in tonight if possible.
Old 06-25-15, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I have had issues forming squads with my friends, but haven't tried since the last update.
And the servers seem do to be down an awful lot of the time.
Old 06-25-15, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What faction are you in? I've got two friends in Vanu and some in Terran....I'll think about which way I want to go later on. I was hoping more here would've started some DVD PS4 group.
Old 06-25-15, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually prefer New Conglomerate, but I made a character for each one. My buddies are all new to the game (I played it on PC) and I think they are liking Vanu from their limited experience so that is what I have mostly played as.
I wanted to get in a little bit of action on my lunch hour, but there were 385 people in the Queue so needless to say I didn't get to play.
Old 06-25-15, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I actually prefer New Conglomerate, but I made a character for each one. My buddies are all new to the game (I played it on PC) and I think they are liking Vanu from their limited experience so that is what I have mostly played as.
I wanted to get in a little bit of action on my lunch hour, but there were 385 people in the Queue so needless to say I didn't get to play.

That right there is what I'm seeing the major issue like over at NeoGaf forums...waiting...waiting...more waiting.....

I might try tonight but if get held up much I'll just back off and go back to Diablo and wait till they get this fixed.
Old 06-26-15, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually got in late last night and played little more than an hour. It actually ran pretty good and didn't see any issues. I like the fact you have a server choice and can see the amount of players and faction in each given server.

I've got to just go over the interface and loadout screens to get a handle on all the choices and upgrades. I only got to Level 4 and just went out trying to do something. I thought it was pretty good. I like the change of Day-to-Night and the areas are pretty huge. The graphics are more Past Gen but that didn't matter to me. One thing I didn't do...I could not figure out how to throw a grenade.
Old 06-26-15, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Grenade should be L1 + R1 I believe.
Old 06-26-15, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks....I went with the Medic at first..as did about half of everyone else out there. I'll probably try all the classes but I just want to get the mechanics and coordination down like where everyone needs to go and classes needed. I started the Vanu as well and saw you and two other friends on. Say if you are in a match and on a particular server, can you send an game invite and get into that server? Maybe the next time ya'll have a group I can jump in...not saying I'll help a lot except get in the way and die a lot but.....
Old 06-26-15, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think there is any option for that, and if there was I seriously doubt it would work right. Just forming squads with your friends is buggy as Hell. Several of my friends have pretty much given up on the game just because of that. We had a group of 4-5 of us and there was always at least one of us who couldn't get invited because the invite to group option would be grayed out. We also had to start over on a new server (Searhus) because of the rediculous queue for the one we initially joined. It has been a very frustrating experience so far.
If you are on the same server feel free to join us. And for the record I suck at this game on PS4.
Old 06-26-15, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not exactly Mr. MP but with so much going on and so many out there I probably stand a better chance than in games with 6 vs 6.

FWIW...someone over at NeoGaf posted this link that's really good for beginners and a fairly good guide.....

http://imgur.com/a/UXIkc

Last edited by K&AJones; 06-27-15 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-28-15, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally got in a server tonight. It took some getting used to, but the controls are pretty responsive, and I like the jetpack. Was completely lost though.

This game was one of the reasons I bought the PS4 at launch, and it's finally out a year and a half later, so I'm pretty salty about that, but I like what I've seen so far and could see me putting in some time.
Old 06-29-15, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Was beginning to wonder if I was ever even going to see you over here. Seen a few on my friends list including former Warframer...AteByZombies. I haven't hooked up with him yet but we both happen to be on the same server...Crux and Vanu. I'm up to Level 9 but still got a ways to go to get this down.
Old 06-29-15, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It definitely feels epic with so many guys running around...not like anything I've played before. If anything, it reminds me of a first person Warhawk.

I pretty much had to go TR because of my color vision, but I like their guns so far, and I'm told they have the best "fighter plane".
Old 06-29-15, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep...Epic pretty much describes it...which helps a lot because one thing is for sure, everyone dies and dies a lot. I played for about 3hrs on Saturday morning and it was just constant back-and-forth take over and defend. And this is just one world and one small place.....

I do like several parts of it like able to change class depending on the situation right there in the middle of the field. It's no Nex Gen as far as looks and graphics like Destiny, Far Cry 4 or even Warframe. but the sheer size, scope and amount of players with everything going on makes up for it.

What server are you on...one thing I've seen though several playing at least two different classes. I'd be willing to try the other just for the fun of it...what's the worse that can happen...die even more?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.