Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Old 04-29-15, 05:05 PM
  #676  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 5,275
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Wow, the Undead Giant in the Chalice Dungeon is kicking my butt. His long hook on his right hand is hitting big time and it's hard to avoid. Only way to do any damaged is dodge his attack and tried to land a hit but he pretty quick, die five times already.
Old 04-29-15, 08:11 PM
  #677  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,138
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

holy cow, the final boss
Spoiler:
gehrman
is almost impossible.

His third form when he starts attacking from the sky, etc I have to spend all my time moving and healing. I literally have no time to attack. Eventually I run out of potion and die.

I have already used >200 potions ( I know cause I have to keep restocking) and have probably died about 30 times.

oh and

Spoiler:
I hope the boss after isn't even hard because I used the 3 umbilical cords


EDIT: his third form starts at half power too...sometimes he will go from second to third in about 5 seconds without me even landing a hit.

Last edited by mewmartigan; 04-29-15 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-29-15, 09:47 PM
  #678  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 39,913
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

I really hate that I missed those last two battles.
Old 04-30-15, 08:11 AM
  #679  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 7,805
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Well...according to the Boss defense list at fextralife, there are four Bosses with 10K or more HP....the bad news Gehrman is Number 1 coming in at 14293 with The Wet Nurse at 14081. By comparison martyr Logarius is 9081

FWIW...up to you but here's a link over there to Gehrman and a lot of comments from those who fought him with various means and tactics.....

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.co...e+First+Hunter
Old 04-30-15, 09:40 AM
  #680  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,138
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
Well...according to the Boss defense list at fextralife, there are four Bosses with 10K or more HP....the bad news Gehrman is Number 1 coming in at 14293 with The Wet Nurse at 14081. By comparison martyr Logarius is 9081

FWIW...up to you but here's a link over there to Gehrman and a lot of comments from those who fought him with various means and tactics.....

http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.co...e+First+Hunter
Thanks for the link.

The Wet Nurse was actually kinda easy because she was slow so you could get in attacks easily after her attack was done. Gehrman is fast and relentless!
Old 04-30-15, 09:54 AM
  #681  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,641
Likes: 0
Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

So I knocked out Father Gascoigne pretty easily (5 or 6 tries) and moved through the Cathedral to Old Yharnam. I aced the area, killing everything without dying once, but then couldn't find a lamp anywhere. I came to a church with some kind of new creature that I'm guessing was a boss at the far end of it. By that point, I had 20k in Blood Echoes and faced the nasty decision of losing them all on a boss fight or having to fight my way back through everything to get to it again. Figuring I'd be fighting my way through multiple times anyway, I opted to puss out, run back to the previous lantern and level up, then called it a night. Did I miss a lantern in Old Yharnam, or is there not another one until you defeat a boss?
Old 04-30-15, 09:56 AM
  #682  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 20,051
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
So I knocked out Father Gascoigne pretty easily (5 or 6 tries) and moved through the Cathedral to Old Yharnam. I aced the area, killing everything without dying once, but then couldn't find a lamp anywhere. I came to a church with some kind of new creature that I'm guessing was a boss at the far end of it. By that point, I had 20k in Blood Echoes and faced the nasty decision of losing them all on a boss fight or having to fight my way back through everything to get to it again. Figuring I'd be fighting my way through multiple times anyway, I opted to puss out, run back to the previous lantern and level up, then called it a night. Did I miss a lantern in Old Yharnam, or is there not another one until you defeat a boss?
Sounds like you were inches away from an encounter with the Blood Starved Beast.
Old 04-30-15, 10:10 AM
  #683  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 39,913
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
So I knocked out Father Gascoigne pretty easily (5 or 6 tries) and moved through the Cathedral to Old Yharnam. I aced the area, killing everything without dying once, but then couldn't find a lamp anywhere. I came to a church with some kind of new creature that I'm guessing was a boss at the far end of it. By that point, I had 20k in Blood Echoes and faced the nasty decision of losing them all on a boss fight or having to fight my way back through everything to get to it again. Figuring I'd be fighting my way through multiple times anyway, I opted to puss out, run back to the previous lantern and level up, then called it a night. Did I miss a lantern in Old Yharnam, or is there not another one until you defeat a boss?
There are a couple major shortcuts in Old Yharnam, but only 1 lantern until you beat the main baddie.
Old 04-30-15, 03:11 PM
  #684  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 7,805
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Yep...almost sounds like you were close to the Blood Starved Beast. Did you come across a sort of large courtyard with two Werewolves patrolling around? If so you were also close to one very important shortcut...which has to be opened from that side to use it later on if you need to tackle the BSB again...or just come back and farm some stuff off the Werewolves.
Old 04-30-15, 03:43 PM
  #685  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,641
Likes: 0
Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
Yep...almost sounds like you were close to the Blood Starved Beast. Did you come across a sort of large courtyard with two Werewolves patrolling around? If so you were also close to one very important shortcut...which has to be opened from that side to use it later on if you need to tackle the BSB again...or just come back and farm some stuff off the Werewolves.
Yep, that's definitely where I was at. I couldn't find a shortcut to open anywhere. I found one door, but it wouldn't let me open it and I think it said to open from the other side. IIRC, after the werewolves, the area just outside the church was a bunch of tombstones with some flaming crosses and some of the ghouls in the hoods. If you could point me towards the shortcut, it would be much appreciated, as it would be nice to open a quicker way to the boss before I tackle him.
Old 04-30-15, 03:54 PM
  #686  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 39,913
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
Yep, that's definitely where I was at. I couldn't find a shortcut to open anywhere. I found one door, but it wouldn't let me open it and I think it said to open from the other side. IIRC, after the werewolves, the area just outside the church was a bunch of tombstones with some flaming crosses and some of the ghouls in the hoods. If you could point me towards the shortcut, it would be much appreciated, as it would be nice to open a quicker way to the boss before I tackle him.
Spoiler:
There's a tower with a spiral staircase shortly before the BSB area (Something like 3 or 4 Werewolves in the area). Walk up the stairs, unlock the door.
Old 04-30-15, 04:11 PM
  #687  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Gooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Soldier Field
Posts: 2,428
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

To further expand upon what Rich posted:

Spoiler:
the staircase is through the broken door where the one werewolf crashed thru and jumped out at you
Old 04-30-15, 07:57 PM
  #688  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,641
Likes: 0
Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Hmm, I know I explored that tower, but don't recall the door. Will have to go back and look tonight.
Old 05-01-15, 07:32 AM
  #689  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,138
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Finally beat the game last night.

Spoiler:
Gehrman
was a massive pain in the butt and then it only took me two tries for the one after.

I was a little disappointed in
Spoiler:
the very short ending. Essentially I turned into a baby squid, the doll picked me up and said a few words. I'm still not sure what happened. Do I live on the moon now? I'd never heard of Moon Presence until I fought him and now I am him? Maybe I should have let Gehrman behead me, haha.



Overall it is easily the best game I have played on PS4 so far. Took me 39 hours and the only spot I missed was the Upper Cathedral Ward.
Old 05-01-15, 07:56 AM
  #690  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 39,913
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Finally beat the game last night.

Spoiler:
Gehrman
was a massive pain in the butt and then it only took me two tries for the one after.

I was a little disappointed in
Spoiler:
the very short ending. Essentially I turned into a baby squid, the doll picked me up and said a few words. I'm still not sure what happened. Do I live on the moon now? I'd never heard of Moon Presence until I fought him and now I am him? Maybe I should have let Gehrman behead me, haha.



Overall it is easily the best game I have played on PS4 so far. Took me 39 hours and the only spot I missed was the Upper Cathedral Ward.
I read it as
Spoiler:
You were more or less reborn as the celestial being, which at its infant state is a squid
, there are a lot of websites that give decent summaries of it, you have to read literally every item description for it to make sense.
Old 05-01-15, 08:04 AM
  #691  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 7,805
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Finally beat the game last night.

Spoiler:
Gehrman
was a massive pain in the butt and then it only took me two tries for the one after.

I was a little disappointed in
Spoiler:
the very short ending. Essentially I turned into a baby squid, the doll picked me up and said a few words. I'm still not sure what happened. Do I live on the moon now? I'd never heard of Moon Presence until I fought him and now I am him? Maybe I should have let Gehrman behead me, haha.



Overall it is easily the best game I have played on PS4 so far. Took me 39 hours and the only spot I missed was the Upper Cathedral Ward.

Congrads On Finishing ......and I'm at the UCW right now but yet to start it....not sure if I want to tackle those (3) where the Body Snatchers were my first time. Heard nothing but bad about them. We're going to tackle Martyr L. tonight and I'm starting my 4th Dungeon
Old 05-01-15, 10:28 AM
  #692  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,138
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
Congrads On Finishing ......and I'm at the UCW right now but yet to start it....not sure if I want to tackle those (3) where the Body Snatchers were my first time. Heard nothing but bad about them. We're going to tackle Martyr L. tonight and I'm starting my 4th Dungeon
Good luck to you! Aside from that final boss, Martyr L was my toughest boss fight.
Old 05-01-15, 10:30 AM
  #693  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,138
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I read it as
Spoiler:
You were more or less reborn as the celestial being, which at its infant state is a squid
, there are a lot of websites that give decent summaries of it, you have to read literally every item description for it to make sense.
Thanks, I'll go read a few summaries.

Reading item descriptions is easier after the update since they appear on the loading screen, haha.
Old 05-01-15, 11:06 AM
  #694  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 7,805
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Good luck to you! Aside from that final boss, Martyr L was my toughest boss fight.

Yea...he's been a tough one but after explaining our dilemma with him spawning those Skulls all the time over at NeoGaf, someone responded they had the same problem and it's all about "waiting & patience".....They even posted a video of their fight and sure enough the first part was exactly how we saw it. But he didn't go head first and whack away but more or less just poked & prodded Martyr and backed off when he was about to do his Skulls. When he started to melee more that's when he stayed on him. We made the mistake of going head first and trying to get him just to melee but he just wouldn't do it.
Old 05-04-15, 08:01 AM
  #695  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 39,913
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Ugh, I'm having withdrawl from this game.
Old 05-04-15, 08:19 AM
  #696  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 7,805
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

I got back after a few days & nights off and a bit rusty off the bat. I wasted (2) Molotov while standing at two altars changing my load out. God knows how many of those and pebbles I've thrown hitting the wrong button. But last night proved to be rewarding all by accident....

I had just did my run on the tail end of the Unseen Village and trying my hand at The Reborn...first one bad and second so close. I had to farm Blood Vials when a friend got on and asked if I could help with Dark Beast Paarl...which I took out solo. Said sure and we met at the Cathedral Lamp...which we go invaded in less than 30 seconds. I made a bee-line to the Bell Witch and she did something I've never seen....ring her bell that caused a wide AOE and killed me. My friend was left with the invader who hung around nearly 15 minutes before giving up.

We hooked back up and this time went straight to where you enter the Dark Beast Paarl...but it would not open for her and got invaded again. But this time the invader left within 5 minutes. So instead we decided to get her to the Boss, The Reborn and at least try it. We ignored everything except a few and went to the Boss. Surprisingly...we took him out first go around. So we decided to do my run and to keep invaders away I went to the entrance and since she had the Lamp we hooked up there.

This time was the easiest we've ever done on any Boss. She didn't even take a single swing and used just (2) Blood Vials. I never saw my health drop under 70%. She just stayed on top in a corner just running back-and-forth keeping his attention. I was on the other opposite corner with the stairs. She would tell me when his back was turned and I run out, smack his rear legs 3-4 times and run back to the stairwell. Wait awhile, she would tell me again and I'd run out and do again. I used the Ludwig Holy Blade w/Fire Gem. The best part was I got my Blood Echoes back when I lost to him the last time solo. Two Reborn fights with no deaths and between hers, mine and my previous lost echoes I ended up with 116K.
Old 05-04-15, 08:22 AM
  #697  
gamer for life
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Muskogee, OK
Posts: 7,860
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Ugh, I'm having withdrawl from this game.
I did the same thing...
Old 05-04-15, 08:33 AM
  #698  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 39,913
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

It's irritating, I'm kind of in and out of gaming, and it's rare I find a game I like enough to finish. Then here comes one that I not only finish, but it has now tainted the few other games I occasionally enjoy.
Old 05-04-15, 09:23 AM
  #699  
gamer for life
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Muskogee, OK
Posts: 7,860
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

I have a few games I wanted to play after Bloodborne but I just could not do it. I would start them and get bored. I grabbed Lords of the Fallen, which I actually enjoyed a lot, and it helped me get over my withdrawals. I am now able to play Borderlands Pre-Sequel.
Old 05-04-15, 10:29 AM
  #700  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 7,805
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

I tried to go back to destiny a bit but I was reminded of really how narrow and limited it is after playing Bloodborne...not to mention the trade & economic system it employs. I go back to Warframe a lot but a lot of the technical aspects or countless parts & pieces can still overwhelm you...but still enjoy the game.

I literally cannot pin-point what it is about Bloodborne that constantly pulls me in even though I know I'll probably get my butt handed to me over & over....Maybe it's the horror, brutality and raw combat it involves instead of space age gizmos, endless guns and special effects galore. I'll sit down ready to start a new map or dungeon and it's like, "ok...here I go ready to die, get smacked around, endure frustration, pain and why I keep doing this I don't know"

But we still have problems with the Invaders which has somewhat ruined the experience. We did co-op three times last night in the last part of the Unseen Village and got invaded within 1-2 minutes twice. The third time I summoned right at the entrance of the Boss so they didn't have time. And my friend started or let me re-phrase try to start Nightmare of Mensis but got invaded 30 seconds into starting. She quit out, restarted and got invaded within 1-2 minutes. Then left to farm Blood Vials, tried again and got invaded a third time within 2-3 minutes of spawning in....just calling it quits and going to dungeons.

It's no wonder that most say PvP is broken (Neogaf posters complain about it all over)...it's because there are more ringing that damn Sinister Bell that players available to invade....

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.