None of the above
44.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Console Wars 2013: What DID you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-13, 11:08 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Console Wars 2013: What DID you buy?

I am deliberately leaving the Wii U off the list since it's not a new console, and wasn't really affecting the options.

I'm leaving the poll open only for a week so it can be a "snapshot" of how things were through Black Friday.

Anybody got a good website we can use to track total sales? It's been a long time since I've looked at that kind of data...
Old 11-25-13, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Console Wars 2013: What DID you buy?

Apparently your saves are in the cloud automatically, for the Xbox One.

I "love" how they answer this: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-o...boxone-storage

How much storage do I have?

The Xbox One is equipped with a 500-gigabyte (GB) internal hard drive. Most of this space is available for storing games and apps, though some is reserved for saved games, console software, and other important system functions.

What’s stored on my hard drive, and what’s stored in the cloud?

Your data is stored to both your hard drive and the cloud simultaneously. Xbox Live keeps your important data in sync so you don’t lose anything when you use a friend or family member’s console, or even when you switch to a new console.

Note A regular connection to Xbox Live is required to keep your data in sync. Playing offline may cause your cloud data to become out of date. Your data refreshes each time you connect to Xbox Live.

How can I check my free space?

Xbox One monitors your available hard drive space. When it starts to fill up, a message appears warning you that you’re low on space. These messages are stored in Notifications. You can check to see if you have any unread messages by saying “Xbox, go to notifications” or by selecting the notifications icon at the top of Home screen.

If you don’t have any notifications, it means you have plenty of free space. If you are running low on space, try deleting unused or seldom-used content.

Can I use a flash drive or an external hard drive?

No. The Xbox One does not support external storage devices.
And yeah, there's no way, right now, to check how much storage do you have, like in the 360.
Old 11-25-13, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

I have two 360s and since I got the PS4, I just moved around everything so my newer 360 is now in the basement and the old one is getting sold/traded off soon. So I moved things off that drive to the newer one using a USB stick. I cannot believe that Microsoft removed this ability from the new console. Of course they did a similar thing when they put a hard drive in every Xbox and then made it optional on the next one...which is a backwards move. I don't get it.
Old 11-25-13, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Wii U
Old 11-25-13, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My guess is that they went full ahead with using the cloud for the storage. So if your console fails or you change your console, or you visit a friend, when you login, it will get all your data from the cloud.
Old 11-25-13, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
My guess is that they went full ahead with using the cloud for the storage. So if your console fails or you change your console, or you visit a friend, when you login, it will get all your data from the cloud.
It's not a guess, that is what they stated...
Old 11-25-13, 11:38 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

"How can I check my free space?

Xbox One monitors your available hard drive space. When it starts to fill up, a message appears warning you that you’re low on space. "

I still think they should do it MY way, where it specifically gives you more information, like, "Hey Raul3! It looks like your hard drive is getting pretty full; you only have 10GB left. I see you haven't played Zoo Tycoon in 6 months. Can we delete the game to free up some space? Your saves will still be available, so when you decide to return to your cute animal prison, you can pick up right where you left off. Cool beans? Select: Cool Beans or No Thanks.
Old 11-25-13, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"None of the above" is not helping the console wars... They need to be drafted!
Old 11-25-13, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

At this point I don't get why they don't offer Cloud Storage for your games instead of using your HDD? Have it be an option for those that have reliable internet. I'm sure plenty would jump at 1 TB or more cloud storage in addition to your HDD.
Old 11-25-13, 12:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
At this point I don't get why they don't offer Cloud Storage for your games instead of using your HDD? Have it be an option for those that have reliable internet. I'm sure plenty would jump at 1 TB or more cloud storage in addition to your HDD.
Are you talking about your personal game saves or full games that would run from the cloud?

If the former, they're tiny and inconsequential. That's why both companies store these files on your console AND in the cloud. It's online as a backup so you can pick up from your last checkpoint on ANY console, not just your own.

If the latter, you're talking about what Sony is trying to do with their unreleased Gaikai service, and I don't see that kind of thing happening anytime soon from either company. Try using Remote Play on your Vita from another State, miles away; and that's only 544p. It can only be as good as that in terms of speed, latency, etc., but will likely be worse for the foreseeable future.

Plus, if you buy your games digitally, those games ARE stored in the cloud, unlimited, at no extra cost. You can remove them from your console and re-download whenever you want. But you HAVE to have them installed locally to play them because full cloud-based game streaming just isn't where it needs to be in order to be reliable.
Old 11-25-13, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought the PS4, obviously. I'm not blown away or anything, but I'm pleased overall.
  • Hardware: I love their CPU/GPU/RAM choices. Build quality seems just OK for the console. Hopefully it's just a launch thing. DS4 feels really well made.
  • Price: Somehow, mentally, $399 is an impulse buy, but $499 wouldn't have been. If both consoles had been $499, I'd be waiting.
  • UI: Great foundation. Clean and intuitive. Has some quirks/bugs in the firmware that need to be sorted, but it's a solid start.
  • Controller: Other than the light, it's utter and complete perfection.
  • Online/Store: Jury is out for online play, since almost all of my games have a quirk or two, but it's hard to tell how much of that is the software. The store is quick and functional finally. Huge improvement.
  • Games: Killzone is beautiful and better than expected. NFS is amazing but unpolished. BF4 single player is stunning but boring...but who buys BF for single player? Warframe is a lot of fun. Resogun is awesome, as expected. Contrast was an interesting little indie...finished it in one sitting.
  • 2014 Games I'm looking forward to: Infamous, The Order, Destiny, Witcher 3, Uncharted 4, Watch Dogs, Planetside 2
  • Favorite feature I never knew I wanted: Sound and chat, either or both, through the controller with a nonproprietary jack. I was playing NFS late the other night through my Sennheisers with all other players muted and the crappy in-game music turned off and was loving life.
Old 11-25-13, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Played both extensively, saw no reason to buy either at this point in time. They're both promising pieces of equipment though.
Old 11-25-13, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Got the PS4. Saw the XBone in Target and impulse buy kicked in. So I have both.

.....and yet the two games I can't stop playing are the new Zelda & Super Mario titles. Sigh.
Old 11-25-13, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Neither, decided to hold off for now since I realized the bulk of the games i'm going to play for the next 6 months are on PC, with Battlefield 4, Ghosts, Titanfall, and whenever Diablo 3's expansion comes out. Not to mention finishing up GTAV on 360 and a few PS3 games I haven't played yet.

I imagine i'll pick up a new console next year.
Old 11-25-13, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Neither. The games still play the same, they just look nicer. The 360 has enough space and military shooters, and I'm not a fan of games whose primary attraction is interactive cinematic sequences, so I'm going to probably skip this generation of the big two. I'll probably pick up a Wii U at some point for my first-party Nintendo favorites, even though the formula for those is starting to feel a bit stale.
Old 11-25-13, 01:14 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm another holdout. I have tons of 360/PS3 games I still need to play, plus I want to see how things play out over the next 6 months as far as titles and bugs are concerned. But I'm almost always a late adopter for consoles... I can only think of two I've ever owned that I picked up shortly after launch (Genesis and Wii).
Old 11-25-13, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Had every intention of buying a PS4, but there were NONE available around me when I went looking for one after launch. It almost feels like a blessing though since there seems to be more gripes than praises about it at this point.

I do have one friend that was able to pick up a PS4 from Gamestop during their midnight release. Two things: a) His blu-ray drive was faulty out of the box and wouldn't read discs so it had to be returned. He's already on his second unit, and b) he only bought it for BF4 which he has been unable to play reliably without issues. He's reverted back to playing on his PS3 instead. Honestly, I feel like I could've been in that exact same situation, so I'm more than happy to wait until after the new year at this point.

It really does feel like both of these systems were rushed and weren't truly ready for release.
Old 11-25-13, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Neither. There are no must-have games, I won't have time for it until next fall and, more importantly, I just won't pay $400+ for a console again. I'll let the first owners be the beta testers and snatch up a cheaper revision of whatever I decide to buy (likely each one, as I do every generation).
Old 11-25-13, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

None of the above. Still have a ton of games that I need to play for the 360. Plus I'm going to be busy With Star Control on the PC soon enough.
Old 11-25-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Got the PS4. Saw the XBone in Target and impulse buy kicked in. So I have both.

.....and yet the two games I can't stop playing are the new Zelda & Super Mario titles. Sigh.
So you were the one that stuck the xbox in the trashcan and played Super Mario 3d World lol
Old 11-25-13, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Why does this thread feel like two different threads were merged? What's with the game save discussion?
Old 11-25-13, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Blame Raul and Groucho.

Groucho closed the old thread in the middle of a discussion and Raul felt the need to double post.
Old 11-25-13, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course!!! I thought it was really IMPORTANT!!!!!

war! mine is better! etc!!!111111
Old 11-25-13, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 11-25-13, 03:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Sorry.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.